Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

now that the current serial number has expired, does anyone know when the next one will be available or the actual upgrade ready?. Some of the scenes I've made in 8.5 I am anxious to get back to.

read first page

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

now that the current serial number has expired, does anyone know when the next one will be available or the actual upgrade ready?. Some of the scenes I've made in 8.5 I am anxious to get back to.

Serial number was updated in the first post of the thread To register the Carrara 8.5 Beta you will need to use the serial code listed here: CDZCPRO-085-0000018-ZWM-001-EBTOMDO (Expires 12/1/2012)
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Serial number was updated in the first post of the thread To register the Carrara 8.5 Beta you will need to use the serial code listed here: CDZCPRO-085-0000018-ZWM-001-EBTOMDO (Expires 12/1/2012)

:lol:

• edited December 1969

I have never had so much crash until this beta version. With particles it is 50% of time it give me an error and i must force quit carrara.
    And now it's when i save the work. I can sometimes reload my work and sometime not.
    I reinstall but these problems stay. loosing work after hours make me nervous....

Capture_d’écran_2012-11-02_à_18.56_.44_.png
    446 x 152 - 29K
  • edited November 2012

Hi napoleon solo,

Change the Language to english and try it again.
    It might be possible, that the french translation is not adjusted to the version ..172

kind regards,
    emogie

Post edited by raanubis_2383129223 on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

New serial and yet again, no update.

• edited December 1969

emogie said:
    Hi napoleon solo,

Change the Language to english and try it again.
    It might be possible, that the french translation is not adjusted to the version ..172

kind regards,
    emogie

Thank you, i think it was that.

• why am I having problems importing my runtime folder models that I created in Carrara 6 and poser 6? I never had this problem grabbing files from my runtime folder before in Carrara pro 8.0 when it first came out. What's going on that causes this build to not recognize my models that are perfectly in tact and open just fine on previous versions of carrara?

• tearstears Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

the new serial doesnt work. is there another one?

edited December 1969

tears said:

it works try again !

• SLoTH_XVXSLoTH_XVX Posts: 199
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    tears said:

it works try again !

The updated one in the first post worked for me (too).

• edited November 2012

Was REALLY hoping to activate my big Carrara beta tonight...*sigh*

Ummm....

Read through.......... post edited for bitching before looking. My bad.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4700/

Post edited by sekisaki_3b9a12155d on
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

I am real disappointed with the state of these recent betas. Every time I run them I encounter more problems.

My latest was really weird...I had an object assigned as an IK target object on a V4 character's foot bone. And each time I rotated the 3D view the object moved in the Z direction, bringing the leg with it. Yes, a scene object moved when I rotated the view. Go figure.

Another time I loaded an old scene, tried to rotate a leg bone, and the mesh went right thru the conforming clothing, and the the foot mesh tore off the leg.

And I keep having problems with scenes failing to save.

And loading content in some cases now takes 10 times longer than it used to, and in some cases seemingly locks up.

And on and on and on. But I have no interest in chasing them to come up with repeatable steps.

This is really bad. I'm really hoping for a content plugin for Blender, real soon. I gotta get outta here.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

My latest was really weird...I had an object assigned as an IK target object on a V4 character's foot bone. And each time I rotated the 3D view the object moved in the Z direction, bringing the leg with it. Yes, a scene object moved when I rotated the view. Go figure.

If memory serves I saw this happen when the IK target was parented to the root of the figure. It creates some sort of feedback loop I suppose.
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just a minor pet peeve...:

Could the serial number be short enough to actually FIT INSIDE the serial number window?

• armtekarmtek Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I've been a Carrara user for some time, and quite frankly this endless string of 'beta non-updates' is very disappointing to say the least. No changes, crappy performance, etc. I paid for version 8, and got beta 8.5 because 8.1 wouldn't work on my machine. Usually with a beta you have a previous 'real' version to fall back on, but anyone with newer OS/equipment has no fall-back option. Is anyone besides the one who posts the updated serial numbers actually working on this product? >:(

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Um, is anyone having trouble adding HDRI's to the content browser? I can't get any of them to show up in any of the windows (including Misc or Artwork).

• neoanginneoangin Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The current item is linked as a $0.00 item and the item on the store has a note regarding the 'free' status, but the item actually is $199.00.

Do you have a link to the free beta?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited November 2012

HI neoangin

When you go through the link on the first page to the store,. at the checkout it won't charge you,... it should say 0.00

Hope it helps

Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

Sadly not for me... When I use the link, it applies a discount, but after I entered my CC and have to confirm it is still at $139 for the beta...
    Tried all the other Carrara products, it's always the same...

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

neoangin said:
    Sadly not for me... When I use the link, it applies a discount, but after I entered my CC and have to confirm it is still at $139 for the beta...

Is it possible you have "bought" it before?
    edited December 1969

neoangin said:

Is it possible you have "bought" it before?

I have bought Carrara 8, but that shouldn't be an issue?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

Okay... admittedly, it took me quite some time to finally re-download anything I've bought for Carrara before DSON

It took me a long time to get this stuff... probably missed a thing or two.

Aside from a couple of things, nothing changed, apparently. Still no materials to chose from - even though the product comes with a materials folder. Is it still an issue getting Genesis stuff into Carrara without export/import? Most poses seem to show up, but not V5 Stand Up poses. My V5 character's materials show up, but Onyx, amongst other clothes, still have no available materials.

Additionally, will there ever be a time when auto-fit clothes (or other items) can be more easily manipulated in the model room? The pop-up that comes on during the attempt means very little to me, with no further explanation. Too bad the pop-up didn't, instead, give the option to hold the mesh to the auto-fitted position - rather than the base Genesis fit. Still... very impressive how that whole thing works.

It's just that, in its current state, Genesis can still not exist as a main character in my work. I MUST have the ability to create/edit many movement ans shape morphs into clothes and hair, at the very least. I can make my own materials, but having presets would help give a start.

• ilnyneilnyne Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI neoangin

When you go through the link on the first page to the store,. at the checkout it won't charge you,... it should say 0.00

Hope it helps

It appears that they're now selling the beta? The free registration code expired the first of November, so I'm guessing anyone who didn't pick it up by now is SOL unless they want to pay to beta test.

I'm wondering now, is the $139 beta a Pro version? I guess it must be?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

ilnyne said:
    3DAGE said:
    HI neoangin

Hope it helps

It appears that they're now selling the beta? The free registration code expired the first of November, so I'm guessing anyone who didn't pick it up by now is SOL unless they want to pay to beta test.

I'm wondering now, is the $139 beta a Pro version? I guess it must be?

See the first post of this thread, particularly this part

To register the Carrara 8.5 Beta you will need to use the serial code listed here: CDZCPRO-085-0000018-ZWM-001-EBTOMDO (Expires 12/1/2012)

• ilnyneilnyne Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

Ah, thanks!

edited December 1969

HI neoangin :)

I'm not sure why you're apparently being charged for a product which is still in development, and is being made available for "beta" testing purposes only.

The reason you need to go through the store, is to add this "version" to your account,.. so that you can "Reset" that item, to get the latest beta release.

If you have already purchased Carrara 8,.(standard or Pro) then you should be able to Skip past the Store part, and reset your original Downloads for Carrara 8,. from your account,.. which should also add the downloads for the latest 8.5 Beta version.

If you reset your Carrara downloads,. be sure to expand the page view options so that you can see all the files,.

If the Beta version isn't added to your downloads,.. you'd need to contact Daz Sales and see why

So far,. I'm not aware of anyone who has been charged any money for adding the beta to their account, as an item through the store.

Hope that helps :)

edited December 1969

Hi Kodiak 3D :

I'm not having any issues with saving HDRI's or adding them to the browser,. but they're not as easy to drag into the browser as objects or shaders.
    you need to make sure that the folder you're saving them to, is set up to show "backgrounds"

If you try this,.
    Add an HDRi to the background slot, then click the little save icon (top right) then create a new folder, and save it in there,
    Now, Add that folder to the Browser, and Choose Backgrounds from the pop up menu / list thing.

That folder should show up, and have the file you saved in it.

You should now be able to Drag and Drop other "backgrounds" into that folder, whether they have a simple colour, or an HDRI.

One thing you won't get is a Thumbnail preview,. but,.. you can use (P3Do explorer) to generate a thumbnail from a rendered image.

Hope it helps :)

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Well, I've discovered that it seems to work like it used to, but the files have to be in a folder under the /Presets/Backgrounds folder.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

Along the line of what Joe was mentioning, I've spent many hours on projects only to find no way of saving the file, due to an error during the save. I'm not sure if it's always a case of having Genesis in the scene, but this time it was. There are times when I save right away, and save several times throughout the session. This is my usual behavior, and I've not experienced issues using this habit. But I still get bummed when I really like what I've done, and it took most of the day to get it right, and I get "An Error has occurred during: Save As"

Please don't take this as a harsh: "Carrara is Horrible" type of thing. It's still, by a vast nomination, the best software I've ever used - period! I get more enjoyment using Carrara than anything else my powerhouse PC could conceivably run - Much more enjoyment. Even with the few items that still need help, I really have to hand it to the team for doing such a great job with 8.5
    I am currently using Genesis as monsters that don't require any clothing (no gens - lol) and I'm loving all of the possibilities that this incredible figure can achieve. Due to the ingeniously developed slew of movements that can be performed using a morph dial, animators can make multiple changes to joints without having to redesign (Generation 4 called them 'Morphforms'). These make aniBlock imports quite valuable - because you can then go in and make further adjustments to the waist bend, hip bend, arms, legs, head, etc., by dialing on the Genesis parameters - I really like that! I have also found that, once I load in one Genesis monster (which takes a bit to load), the next Genesis monsters (I usually have five in the scene) load in really fast... I mean... REALLY fast!!!

I have really been improving on my animations and animation renders. Although heavy-featured, maxed out render settings can tax the toughest of systems, Carrara can truly take some fantastic footage using incredibly meager settings - while turning out clips that are just gorgeous prior to post production - amazing how fast it can do this. The shear power of the shader settings is the magic that makes this work - along with the amazing animation primitives (Ocean, Landscape, Fire, Fog, Skies, Clouds, etc., etc., ) All while easily performing these functions on Daz/Poser compatible format models... which is HUGE for those of us whom would rather direct and animate, shade and render, than to have to model everything. I explain it to my friends that Daz3d is my team. Devs keep my software in check, inspect all of the assets that the artists complete, and guarantee my complete satisfaction. The artists and animators have the arduous task of creeping around within my mind and create all of the assets that might help my project along... and turn out their expert opinions of those visions. I only have to fund the assets as I need them - and if their not exactly what I needed, those funds go towards something that does. My library is a collaboration of some of the finest CG assets from some of the best CG artists in the world - and that makes me happy! :)

Oooops... did I say all of that out loud?

This discussion has been closed.