Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

It is beyond silly to start speculating about any of this since we've been given no indication that a "final" is ready for distribution. More likely is that DAZ has decided to end the "free beta" program and has put the "normal" Carrara prices back in the database. We were told that C8.5 is almost ready, but we were not told when it was slated for distribution, or for that matter if it was still subject to testing by the "public."

Kendall

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    And for me the price for the carrara 8.5 beta seems to be $199.95. That is a nominal fee?
    To pay for the bug fixes I already paid for, and didn't get? I don't think so!

The question I have regarding the pricing is: will DAZ be charging everyone the same full price when the production version hits the streets? I paid full price for Carrara 8.0 last Dec, It would be patently unfair for DAZ NOT to have upgrade pricing for Carrara. This would be insult added to injury after paying full price for Studio last year, as well.

The $199.00 price is a default setting in the store. If we have an upgrade cost it will be minimal. The price was suppose to remain $0 during Beta, I've updated the store to reflect that.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

"If we have an upgrade cost"?

Edit to add from the carrara site:

"close to another beta build for Carrara 8.5"

"This build will be out in a few days."

"Posted on Jul 27, 2012"

Need I say more.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Just checking in -- any news on whats going on these days? Please tell us something.

• Falke 3DFalke 3D Posts: 9
    edited October 2012

I think I'm too stupid, now I have the latest beta of Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta
    get the program with the serial number of page 1, run to still not here:

To register the Carrara 8.5 Beta you will need to use the serial code listed here: CDZCPRO-085-0000032-TVE-001-EBTOMAG (Expires 01-NOV-2012 )

Post edited by Falke 3D on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited October 2012

Yes. You get the Carrara 8.5 Beta here, in the store
    Then you enter the Serial when you run the software for the first time.

The only thing that expires in November is that Serial Code. If the Beta continues beyond that date, they issue a new code on the first page of this thread. Carrara 8 owners will have the opportunity to upgrade by the end of the beta. New customers will likely be able to buy the new program from the usual Carrara store page.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

After happening several times, I've finally reported a Bug Report regarding an error popping up at the end of a save - resulting in no save and hours of lost work. This does not happen all the time, and I'm not certain how to reproduce it. Please add to the Bug Report if you have experienced this - especially if you know how to reproduce it.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

For those interested, the products that are listed as DSON compatible means that you can also use them in Carrara. The DSA files that Carrara can't read, have been replaced with DUF files which Carrara 8.5 does read.

• Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

For those interested, the products that are listed as DSON compatible means that you can also use them in Carrara. The DSA files that Carrara can't read, have been replaced with DUF files which Carrara 8.5 does read.

So we can use this program for Genisis stuff in C8? What about the current way of doing it? As in the .185 beta. Does this DSON program work more like the old Poser Runtime environment?

edited December 1969

akulla3D said:

So we can use this program for Genisis stuff in C8? What about the current way of doing it? As in the .185 beta. Does this DSON program work more like the old Poser Runtime environment?Not the program, but the updated content.

• swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

so we need to reset our downloads and we can apply the duf directly in carrara 8.5 which we could not do when they were .dsf?

edited December 1969

so we need to reset our downloads and we can apply the duf directly in carrara 8.5 which we could not do when they were .dsf?

Yeah
    edited December 1969

I still don't do a lot of modeling, myself - nor have I had a LOT of experience doing so with other software. But the software that I did try were 3DS Max and Maya, which have both always existed far beyond my budget (as a hobbyist).

I have to say that I really enjoy the tools in the Carrara Pro model room (vertex modeler, so far). I love the camera control compared to Hexagon. It also has a very intuitive arrangement for the tools themselves, once you get to know a bit more about what you're doing.

If you're a noob and wondering about the modeling capabilities of Carrara... take it from a hobbyist who enjoys experimenting for some time without instruction... Carrara is a modeler... and a whole lot more. The Carrara Learning DVD's with Phil Wilkes also help drive home some great techniques, ideas and essential how-to's - to really get you going in the modeling field within this excellent software.

I personally enjoy animating the models that I purchase here at DAZ and rendering out clips of action shots. Creating special effects and advancing my skills with shaders. Discovering ways to optimize my scenes for more efficient time/render management have proven endlessly enjoyable along the way.

Thanks DAZ!

• edited December 1969

I still don't do a lot of modeling, myself - nor have I had a LOT of experience doing so with other software. But the software that I did try were 3DS Max and Maya, which have both always existed far beyond my budget (as a hobbyist).

I have to say that I really enjoy the tools in the Carrara Pro model room (vertex modeler, so far). I love the camera control compared to Hexagon. It also has a very intuitive arrangement for the tools themselves, once you get to know a bit more about what you're doing.

If you're a noob and wondering about the modeling capabilities of Carrara... take it from a hobbyist who enjoys experimenting for some time without instruction... Carrara is a modeler... and a whole lot more. The Carrara Learning DVD's with Phil Wilkes also help drive home some great techniques, ideas and essential how-to's - to really get you going in the modeling field within this excellent software.

I personally enjoy animating the models that I purchase here at DAZ and rendering out clips of action shots. Creating special effects and advancing my skills with shaders. Discovering ways to optimize my scenes for more efficient time/render management have proven endlessly enjoyable along the way.

Thanks DAZ!

Nice declaration, :-) (I'm french, couldn't find a better word than declaration, LOL... testimony maybe?)

Since I only use Carrara for all my 3D creations, I like the modelling too.

I just need more experience, but for what I know, it's good enough for me and more !

:-)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

I finally got around to updating my Beta to the latest version. I saved a DUF file from DS (latest build) of a Genesis figure with a few morphs applied and a hair model (no clothes) and then tried loading that into Carrara 8.5. This is claimed to work I believe. It took 20 mins to load the file (half of which seemed to be "projecting morphs"), but it did eventually appear, I then tried to save a Carrara version in the hope that that would load faster - and Carrara crashed in doing a "Save As" - just froze, so that I had to shut it down. I tried restarting my PC and with nothing else running, tried again - and got the same result.

Now I know that I don't have the latest and most powerful machine - in fact a laptop with 3GB RAM - but to just load and save a file should not be a big ask. It works on DS fine and loads the same file in maybe 20 secs.

Anyone else having the same issues?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Phill :)

can you try loading the genesis figure from the smart content and see how that goes.

DUFF transfer is handier for saving/opening Material presets, or poses etc. but it should be able to transfer a clothed, textured figure as a scene file.

If I remember correctly, the first time you load a genesis, it needs to add all the morphs and that can take some time, but the next genesis will load faster because that's already done.. also the more morphs you have,.. the larger the imported figure.

It's certainly possible that the 32 bit system is an issue, but it should be capable of loading the figure and clothing without making carrara crash.

:)

edited December 1969

Phill :)

I just did a quick test using an M5 genesis with the dragon lord clothing.
    during the import process, it peaks at just over 3GB (3.2) although that may differ depending on what genesis morphs are used and need to be projected into the clothing for auto-fit.

loading_duf.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 331K
    edited December 1969

Thanks, 3Dage, helpful and useful info as always! I thought it was a memory issue and peaking over 3GB for the import would bust my system. It is a shame that it seems to be so inefficient. One of things I always found with Carrara was that it handles hi-poly models well, however it seems that DS handles Genesis & Duf files much more efficiently than Carrara, at least in its current incarnation.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it as I tend to use Carrara for most things directly anyway - I'll have a look at importing characters or poses, that should be a bit less of a burden on the system.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I sure hope they fix that before release.

edited December 1969

OK, I loaded Genesis directly in Carrara and then loaded the character from a .duf file - that worked fine. Then I tried adding Aldora Hair and Carrara crashed - just stopped working and I had to force a program shutdown. So I added my own Addison Hair for Genesis (at least that worked OK!) and tried the Genesis Bikini top, and that loaded but the autofit was not correct as it was intersecting with the mesh at a number of areas. With no smoothing modifier as in DS, again Carrara loses out. And I can't set it up in DS and export due to memory limitations. So all in all a fairly frustrating time. It all seemed to take a lot longer in Carrara than DS too, the opposite of what I find working with other characters.

Daz have said that they are close to a release version - I really hope so, but based on my experiences this weekend, it does not seem like it to me.

edited December 1969

Carrara 8.5 loads dsf, but the problem was the materials and most of the poses were DSA.
    edited December 1969

PhilW

With no smoothing modifier as in DS, again Carrara loses out.

There are smoothing / subdivision controls in the options when you select the "Actor" level..

I often find that the open GL preview will show poke through, but the render doesn't,.. because genesis is Smoothed already,
    It's just not just not visible in the assembly room unless you render an area.

smoothing.jpg
    628 x 794 - 121K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I was hoping that would be the equivalent of the smoothing modifier in DS - but it's not. Can't find any method of fixing pokethrough, either by moving verts or morphing on a dress i made for Genesis, which fits perfectly in DS using the smoothing modifier, but has pokethrough all over the place in Carrara. Even though I made it, it is protected!

I guess the only solution is to take it back to Hex via DS and make the morph there?

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    I was hoping that would be the equivalent of the smoothing modifier in DS - but it's not. Can't find any method of fixing pokethrough, either by moving verts or morphing on a dress i made for Genesis, which fits perfectly in DS using the smoothing modifier, but has pokethrough all over the place in Carrara. Even though I made it, it is protected!

I guess the only solution is to take it back to Hex via DS and make the morph there?

What exactly do you mean? How did you make the item, and how did your attempt at making a morph fail? I did a simple morph for a Poser item not long ago, so it's possible.

You're not the only one hoping to see the smoothing and collision detection feature in DS implemented in Carrara as well.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=44197

edited December 1969

3Dage - thanks for the hint, I was aware of that, but the DS modifier also has a collision element that cures poke-through, and this has no direct equivalent in the Carrara implementation. I'd post an image to show you the issue, but I fear it would fall outside ToS...

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I'd post an image to show you the issue, but I fear it would fall outside ToS...
    LOL!!!
    edited December 1969

Further to my previous issues, I just tried setting up a scene directly in Carrara with Genesis and a couple of items from the MBS set (pants and waistcoat), plus my Addison Hair for Genesis. Some of the morphs in the waistcoat were not responding, but I had not been through DS to ensure that the Content Management System was fully synched. Thinking this may be the issue, I went to save to carry on later, and Carrara simply stopped responding. Program manager is showing Carrara working at 50% (on a dual core machine, so just using one core) and memory is within normal limits at 75% so that should not be the cause of the crash.

No, wait a minute, it has saved and is back, but it must have taken 15-20 mins to save the scene...not good.

edited December 1969

What exactly do you mean? How did you make the item, and how did your attempt at making a morph fail? I did a simple morph for a Poser item not long ago, so it’s possible.

I posted a full response to this, with pics. It certainly was on the site, I saw it after posting, but now see it has disappeared - can't imagine why it seems to have been removed - no TOS breach involved at all.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited December 1969

hmm
    maybe you are encroaching on Daz profits in some way?

edited December 1969

Yeah...like explaining how to change engine oil will bring the motor industry to it's knees?

Basically it was about how a dress, made for V4, was converted to Tri-Ax and fitted to Genesis basic female using the transfer utility and smoothing modifier in DS, but when exported as .duf doesn't fit in Carrara. All in support of Beta testing and the request to include the smoothing modifier in Carrara.:)

This discussion has been closed.