Hex Gallery

Comments

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    A3DLover said:
    Nice lego inspired model, what did you render it in and did do any postwork? Talking about inspiration i get mine alot from anime so i made aiko3 a new sword. Inspired by Valkyrie Drive-Mermaid anime

Rendered in DAZ Studio Iray with light emmiters in front of the barrels. Post worked the flames over the emmiters. 

• A3DLoverA3DLover Posts: 198
    edited January 2016
    So everyone is going to daz studio these days? Seems more complicated than ever to me. Model in hex render carrara is plenty for me. This started in adobe illustrator:
    01 00 gun.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 131K
    sillygun.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 284K
    Post edited by A3DLover on
  • Very nice A3DLover.

Been away for a little while, my hard drive decided to die on me. Windows 7 wanted to install on my both my internal drives (wiping out my backups). Not everyhing is lost, I had most of the important stuff like photos backed up on an external drive. Computers can be a pain sometimes :)

Very nice A3DLover.

Been away for a little while, my hard drive decided to die on me. Windows 7 wanted to install on my both my internal drives (wiping out my backups). Not everyhing is lost, I had most of the important stuff like photos backed up on an external drive. Computers can be a pain sometimes :)

Thats why im happy my old xp pro is still working. I dont really get what ms and google are trying to do to us.
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Ended up not making many changes in Blender, so this rightly belongs here:)

I wrote earlier that it wa 50K polys - actually 500K!

Cutty_Sark_R7.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 427K
  • That is so impressive Roygee.

Thanks, John - that was a real labour of love:)

• Great work, Roygee.  I hope you use it in many more renders now it's done.

Thanks, Marcus - I intend to:)

Roygee said:

Ended up not making many changes in Blender, so this rightly belongs here:)

I wrote earlier that it wa 50K polys - actually 500K!

My pc would choke on that 500k. Nice model and render

My pc would choke on that 500k. Nice model and render

My PC isn't anywhere near top of the range; i5, 3.8 Hz, 8Gig RAM - Hex has no problem with 500K polys, but SubD level 1 gave me a warning, so took it to Blender.  No problem there.

Blender has a very different way of dealing with high poly counts - just for fun, I downloaded a 9 Billion poly test scene for Blender - rendered in 5 minutes at 1920 X 1080, high quality, in just over 5 minutes! 

A friend of mine dl blender latest version. He has some design experience but hes one of those people who excell at difficult things and hes having alot of fun with blender. I have blender 2.23 but its not installed.
    A.C.M.B.M Another corny model by me: It actually has landing things on it!
    02.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 116K
    03.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 102K
    04.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 132K
    01.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 117K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

very cool model

Neat modelling - would look great in a cartooney scene:)

• A3DLover, that's looking great. Very unique design. I would like to see it with another level of smoothing and maybe a bit of texture work :)
    A3DLover, that's looking great. Very unique design. I would like to see it with another level of smoothing and maybe a bit of texture work :)

@Roygee yes goofy is the word, thats why i started the thread continuity layout and design in hex section. @ WDJ level 1 smoothing as default in carrara v7. It was quit a nuisance to get a texture to cover tthis model, actually ended up using a texture exported from bryce on it (was going for that rustic look). Also a scr.shot from carrara show my cheap approach to a console and display. Background is all carrara model made in hex rendered in carrara. No postwork
    pixia.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 128K
    Doc11.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 339K

Looks like you haven't UV mapped it?

Carrara automatically applies smooth shading - which is a different thing to the subdivision smoothing WDJ was referring to.  This is what gives meshes imported to Carrara that ugly marshmallow look.  It also often applies arbitrary creasing to some edges where you don't want.  The first thing to do when importing an object into Carrara is to sort those out!  Apply your own smooth shading and/or creasing where you want them to be.

Bryce materials don't work very well with anything but Bryce - same could be said of any procedural shaders applied in any application other than the one they were made in.

To get the effect I think you are going for in Carrara, first prize is good unwrapping and 3D painting.  If you don't feel up to unwrapping and 3D painting, procedural shaders which aren't derived from images is the next best.  Carrara has quite a few which resemble the texture you have put on your plane - the mud shaders look like they would work.

A good thing about Carrara is that you can increase the level of subdivision smoothing without affecting the mesh - you can choose to have it only show at render time, which makes the mesh easier to work with at the model stage - you will still take the render time hit of a higher poly count model, though.

@Roygee i did send the model thru the carrara mapping and even lithunwrap not fan of uvmapper or hex mapper. Not fan of mapping period lol. On the smoothing i like importing to anim8or since it does good job smoothing incrementally tho it seems not export shaded domains very well. I like carrara for rendering and hex for modeling. I know uvmapper is good app its just difficult to use for someone with little patience.

Aah - Anim8or:)  I got started in Anim8or - great little app with some quite advanced features for its time. Such a pity Steve never continued development, it could have been a contender!

From what I remember, Lithunwrap was pretty good.

Unfortunately, UV mapping is a necessary evil.  Using a dedicated UV mapper, such as UU3D is almost a pleasure.  Seriously though, Hexagon's UV mapping is far superior to Carrara in every way.  It does have the drawback that it doesn't preserve seams and pins after saving and shutting down, so that part has to be done in one sitting, but otherwise it has a lot more functionality than what you get in Carrara.

But I guess, each to his own.  Best to use what you are comfortable with:)

edited March 2016
    I like lithunwrap its pretty easy to use its the unfolding i cant grasp well just getting a map to paint in paint prog especially if your super lazy and use planar instead of box mode really gets some ugly results. A bit OT this project came into my shop and i was thinking of attempting to model it the gave up on the idea not before and after pics. Edit is just me or does it seem every website is in cahoots with isp's to burn up bandwidth on purpose?
    001.jpg
    2656 x 1494 - 423K
    jpg
    jpg
    002.jpg
    002.jpg
    1632 x 918 - 152K
    003.jpg
    1632 x 918 - 154K
    Post edited by A3DLover on

Wow - that must be the original Evenrude!

Blacksmith 3D, UU3D and Blender all have a function to unwrap anything in a flash, no skill required.  The result is only good for 3D painting, can't be used for templates, though.

I did check out that uu3d site seems resonably priced. I wonder if anyone has used hex to design something and made it irl? Im thinking a one to two person collapsible pontoon boat you take to the lake in pieces a few qick releases and formidable wing nuts and your fishin!
    Recent wips and finishes from lastxmonth
    recent mods.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 130K
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,201

I use Hex to model, depending what I'm doing I'll texture in PSPx4 or Blacksmith3D paint. Then load into Daz Studio and render with LuxRender.

Never heard of PSPx4 but "Blacksmith" comes up from time to time. Nice results! When I read your post I seemed to recall that LuxRender is related in some way to the "Reality" render, um, engine. That so?  I see it does mention both "Reality" and "LuxRender" in the water mark. 

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited April 2016

Since the origial post I have moved up to PSPx6 (X8 is the latest version) PaintShop Pro, could call it a poor man's PhotoShop but I prefer to look at it as PSP for artwork and PS for photo manipulation.

Blacksmith is excellent I think, there are more expensive apps out there but I got BlackSmith to see if I would use that sort of thing, it fulfils my needs so I will stick with it.

Reality is a plug-in for Daz Studio which allows you to set your materials and send the scene to LuxRender to be rendered. Iray does the same thing, but Reality lets you do more, sorry not more - not easy to explain, With Reality you can tweak the settings and see the results in a preview window so as you get better with the app the more efficent your workflow. I do not think I've explained myself properly, please do a google search on Reality and you'll see some of Paolo's tutorials.

Please read the above as me being a keen modeller, not an artist - I just love to model :)

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on

Since the origial post I have moved up to PSPx6 (X8 is the latest version) PaintShop Pro, could call it a poor man's PhotoShop but I prefer to look at it as PSP for artwork and PS for photo manipulation.

Blacksmith is excellent I think, there are more expensive apps out there but I got BlackSmith to see if I would use that sort of thing, it fulfils my needs so I will stick with it.

Reality is a plug-in for Daz Studio which allows you to set your materials and send the scene to LuxRender to be rendered. Iray does the same thing, but Reality lets you do more, sorry not more - not easy to explain, With Reality you can tweak the settings and see the results in a preview window so as you get better with the app the more efficent your workflow. I do not think I've explained myself properly, please do a google search on Reality and you'll see some of Paolo's tutorials.

Please read the above as me being a keen modeller, not an artist - I just love to model :)

Actually id call gimp the po mans photoshop since i have both. Never really liked psp. Gimp seems a little backwards to photoshop but it has some great filter options. I did some reading on those renderers people have talked about and even tho some are free the plugin that bridges them to daz apps isnt. Now if i could only figure out how to model a harley id be happy.
    edited April 2016

Now if i could only figure out how to model a harley id be happy.

Simple - start with a cube, push and pull some verts.....:)

Not a Harley, but a lot faster!

http://www.sharecg.com/v/37358/browse/5/3D-Model/KawaNinja ;

Post edited by Roygee on
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited April 2016

Again, not a Harley but here is something which I found informative -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Scn_kDCc8o

It's an eight part tutorial by Danny (CG-Dreams) on making a future bike - a lot faster than Roygee's coz this has jet engines :)

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,201

Since the origial post I have moved up to...  PaintShop Pro...

PSP!!!  Of course - I must have had a mental blank there, sooooo sorry. I always refer to PaintShop Pro and PhotoShop as "PSP" and "PS".  Thanks!