Contest ~~Because I Said So! ~~ March to April 15

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited April 2016 in Art Studio

Please put your entries in the Entries Thread 

The Because I Said So! Contest features "everyday" statements which are then rendered with the artists' translation, with the emphasis on humor. Our artists are indeed creative- winners are selected by popular vote and you'll have difficult decisions to make.  We'd like you to come join the fun!

THIS MONTH IS DIFFERENT. We're trying something new- HUMOROUS INTERPRETATION!  You do the renders and the rest of us supply the funny captions. This is how it works: The artists post the renders in the Entry Thread, with their name and entry number. That's really important, because that is what the rest of us will use as our reference. In THIS thread, we post our suggestions for captions, by stating the Artist/Render Number. For instance, if I want to suggest a caption for RGcincy's, I would post in this thread:

RGcincy #1: "Well, that was too easy" 

The artists who submitted entries will keep an eye on the summary post where I will compile all of these WHICH IS THE SECOND POST IN THIS THREAD.  I will edit and add to them as others also give caption suggestions. Let's say isidorn also suggests a caption for that same render. I will have the Summary post and in it, for RGcincy, it will look like this:

RGcincy #1  "Well, that was too easy" (Novica)....."Oh, that's what you meant?" (Isidorn) .......etc  etc.

RGcincy will then go to the ENTRY THREAD and underneath the image (and before any additional products listed) he will post ONE CAPTION PER LINE like this:

"Well, that was too easy." (Novica)

"Oh, that's what you meant?" (Isidorn) 

Artists: Please update the captions once a week, with each Monday being what I consider a "week."  So at the end of each Monday night, I'll check and see if you've got your render captions up to date. (Not policing, trying to be helpful. Take that the right way please. I know you're busy people so if someone posted recently and you didn't spot it, I'm letting you know.) Edit April 6th: If you fail to post the captions -three days/or time remaining to vote- after notification by PM, your entry will not be eligible for the random prize drawing. I am making this change NINE DAYS before the contest ends, which is adequate notification.

See the summary below which explains this in a compact format. 

I've provided links to the previous discussion and entry threads so you can have fun surfing through them. See the bottom of this post.

This contest starts March 1, 2016 and ends April 15, midnight DAZ time, (click to see Mountain time clock). Voting will be 7 days, April 16-23rd. There will be a first place winner  for each caption and confidential voting determines the winners.  All registered forum members can vote. 

This is a "for fun only" contest, with bragging rights. However, I will also  award one Lucky Draw Prize $5 gift certificate using a random drawing for artists who participated. (That would be including winners, as they did not receive a cash prize.)  I appreciate your contribution to the fun!

You may submit up to eight entries.

Here are the guidelines.  (Format is shown after this, but please READ this so you will see the limits/sizes/etc.)

1. Maximum 8 entries. You must be logged in and use your registered account for the forums. (No guest/anonymous entries.)  Deadlines are strictly enforced when receiving entries- no exceptions. Entries must be in the ENTRIES thread to compete for the random drawing prize, and all guidelines must be followed.

2. Images must be .jpg format, new, and follow the TOS. If possible, please  embed in the post. Yes, you may post the images elsewhere once they have been posted here.  See the bottom of the post for how to embed images.

3. Put your forum name and entry #. (Like Entry #1)  on the first line, in bold please. THERE IS NO TITLE.

4. For this one, NO DIALOGUE, NO EXPLANATION WHATSOEVER!!!!!

5. For this contest, please use a minimum of 3 products. (You can use more.)   You should try and use most of the product, not a tiny kit-bashed piece.  See the bottom of the post for how to do a link.

Important: Please only list your main 3 products in the first set of links. If you want to list ALL the products you used, list the others as the very last thing on your entry post. This keeps the posts from getting too bogged down at the top of each entry. 

6. Postwork is allowed, but the overwhelming impression of the render should be the product on its own merit.

7.  Yes, you certainly can use programs other than DAZ Studio, such as Poser, etc.

8.  For your entry to qualify, YOU MUST VOTE. Because artists cannot vote for themselves, it's not fair for them to vote for you if you do not return the favor as you would gain an advantage.

For this one, the format is as follows:

Line1: Name and entry #

Line 2-4: links to 3 main items/products used

Line 5: Image

Line 6-? CAPTIONS SUGGESTED FOR THE RENDER. ONE CAPTION PER LINE. Put the caption in quotes, then (name of person suggesting it) The artist is responsible for watching my summary and updating the captions, please do that once a week.

After that, any additional products, but not required. This should be AFTER the suggested captions.

Use this thread for any questions, comments, works in progress/ask opinions or for assistance with the render or the contest. In other words, have fun.

Here are some suggestions for improving your contest/daily renders.

How To Embed Images In The Post:

How to do this: (It's easy.) Attach your image using the Attach A File below this message area. Save the post. Now go to your image and click it to view it. Copy the URL.  Now Edit your post (mouse over the upper right corner above this area and you'll see a cog to click/Select Edit.) Next, go to the postcard icon above this message area and click it. Paste the URL where it says URL. For width and height, make sure width is 800 or less, and height is 600 or less. It will automatically keep the aspect ratio for you. Then, while the popup is still open, click on the Link tab and paste the URL there too. For Target, please select the "New Window (_blank) option so again, they stay on the thread. (If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I'll be glad to help you.)

How To Do A Link:

To do a link: Click on the link icon (it's that chain-link above this text area) and paste it there where it says URL. IMPORTANT: there will be two tabs, Link Info and Target. The URL is in Link Info, so that's easy. What I need you to do is THEN click on the Target tab. Please open the drop down and select  "New Window (_blank) so when people do click on the link you've provided, they don't leave the thread. (Very annoying.)  

October Discussion Thread  (2015)

October Entry Thread

October Winners  

November Discussion Thread

November Entry Thread

November Winners

December 2015 Discussion Thread

December / Jan Entry Thread

December/Jan Winners  (2015/2016)

Jan / Feb 2016 Discussion Thread

Jan / Feb 2016 Entry Thread

Jan / Feb Winners  (2016)

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2016

SUMMARY OF CAPTIONS

RESERVED: I will post the summaries of suggested captions here. PLEASE: artists who submit renders in the entries thread, watch this summary post and update (edit) your posts. These captions go DIRECTLY BELOW your image, ONE PER LINE. Please update your render captions at least once a week.

NO SUGGESTIONS IN THE RENDER THREAD. All suggested captions go in THIS THREAD. Thanks, and have fun! (Keep all suggested captions family friendly, like the renders.)

CONTEST CLOSED.

Gopherus #1  

"Noooo I missed tea time!"   isidorn   DONE

"Stop! Stop! More guests are coming!"  RGcincy   DONE

"Stop sir! You're not the groom! You're to be the wedding's human sacrifice at the end of the tea ceremony!"   Lyam     DONE

"Don't eat those- they're frosted cow patties!"    Novica    DONE

"Madam, I would avoid the white ones- that parrot has been flying back and forth over them all afternoon."  MelanieL   DONE

"I'd like to have you for dinner...oops...I mean have you over for dinner."    RGcincy   DONE

(At Jungle Frat Party) "Drink Drink Drink!"    (XaatXuun)    DONE

The Tea Is Great Here, I promise ya."   (Saphirewild)   DONE

Novica #1

"Let him keep the sports section! I'm sure not going to climb in there to get it back!"   Gopherus   DONE

"It's your turn to drill. It's the third tooth on the left."   RGcincy    DONE

"Eeurgh, great morning breath, fella!"     Melanie    DONE

"This guy's defnitely not in the tourist guide!"    FirstBastion   DONE

"I told you we took a wrong turn at Albuquerque."   FirstBastion  DONE

"Get out of there Joe! That's not the cave entrance!!"  RGcincy   DONE

"I don't have to outrun him! I only have to outrun you!!"    Gopherus   DONE

"GrWoow, guys, Thems sssome cool hats, where'ssssss can I getssss one?"    XaatXuun    (DONE)

"How We Going To Get Outta Here Now?"    (Saphirewild)   (DONE) 

RGcincy #1

"Three measures of Gordon's one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Adde a large thin slice of lemon peel...Shaken not stirrred! SHAKEN NOT STIRRED!!! Tell Miss Moneypenny to clear her dance card. I'm on my way!"     Gopherus    DONE

"yes! yes! vunderbarr...I have discovers the cure for crooked teeth..."      FirstBastion    DONE

"The Fountain of Seniors!...Uh oh, now where did I put that OTHER bottle..." Novica

"Hilda! Look what I found in my nose!"      isidorn         DONE

"Mary, come quickly, I've had a bright idea!"     Melanie        DONE

"Professor, please may I be excused?  Can't wait too long at my age."     Melanie    DONE

"Igor, I need you to catch another million fireflies before this light goes out!"   Gopherus   DONE

"Do the Goo!"    (XaatXuun)   DONE

"I did it I made the perfect potion for greed!"   (Saphirewild)   DONE

isidorn #1               

"Her aim has gotten better since the King married someone else!"              Knittingmommy     DONE

"I told you, it was just a friendly kiss, and she's my...um...cousin. Yeah, that's it, my cousin!"      Novica    DONE

"You might get a better angle if you took off those stupid high heel boots- where on earth did you find a pair like that?"     Melanie    DONE

"When Aiden took the job as arrow boy he thought it was going to be a cake walk...after all who could miss at that range...but that was before he saw how ditsy Kelly was with the bow!"     Gopherus    DONE

"Now who's the dummy?"    RGcincy      DONE

"I gotta tell you, since your bow is pointed right at my heart, that it's my least vulnerable spot."   Gopherus    DONE

"Remember, in battle our own faction will be in the mist, now, anything you see that is blue or red shoot it, and any thing white and black, don't shoot... and...wait...not now..."     (XaatXuun)      DONE

"Let's see which dummy I can hit today."   (Saphirewild)   DONE

"Luc was fervently re-evaluating the benefits of his new job opportunity!" (ablaze)  DONE

"Hey, wait! What do you mean you left your glasses in the other pants?  you can't call those pants! "  (FirstBastion)  DONE

"What? Wait! huh?  No one said nothing about "moving target" practice! "   (FirstBastion)   DONE

RGcincy #2

"A hot sauna, an invigorating roll in snow, a pumice stone rub down, and now Melvin patiently awaits the tick-dragons to remove his parasites" (Gopherus)     DONE

"Well what did you expect when you only paid for the discounted gym membership- real weights?"   (Novica)   DONE

"You can tell your Mother of Dragons that I will not help her conquer Westeros, even if she gives me a turtle to scratch my itchingt feet. I want no part in your Games of Thrones.   (Lyam)   DONE

"You guys distract him, I'm going for the Achilles heel."  (FirstBastion)   DONE

"It's my rock now and I'm not giving it back!"   (Knittingmommy)   DONE

"So tell me guys, where exactly do you want your wockewy?"     (MelanieL)    DONE

"Go away, this is my Cookie."   (XaatXuun)  DONE

"I just need to hit him here cause the bigger they are, the harder they fall!"  (Saphirewild)  DONE

"The lonely traveller crosses the great divide totally unaware of the galactic forces unleashed above him. In his limited world view dragons and titans cannot exist, so all he sees is unusual clouds."   (Gopherus)  DONE

Gopherus #2

"She just couldn't wait to see who lost!"   (Novica)    DONE

"This wasn't in the rules!"   (RGcincy)     DONE

"At least I don't have to go with the Leprechaun maid!"   (RGcincy)    DONE

"That Leprechaun took one look at her and hit the bottle."   (Novica)   DONE

"I may be unlucky at cards, but looks like I'm lucky in love! She even likes my red hair."  (MelanieL)  DONE

"And the owner wonders why the bar down the street is getting more business."   (Novica)  DONE

"We got a great game going here, the luck of the Irish is shining on us tonight."    (Sapphirewild)  DONE

Ross was certain: "We were on a break!"  (ablaze)  Done

Lyam #1   

"(Thinking) Maybe I should add saggy six pack abs too... and a bottle of bleach in his hand."  (Novica)  DONE

"Look out Picasso, here I come!"   (Novica)   DONE

"The eyes can be deceived, paint what your heart sees!"   (Gopherus)   DONE

"When the only color you have left is red, everything starts looking red!"   (Gopherus)   DONE

"Sigh...he's such a handsome devil!"   (Melanie L)  DONE

"Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it."   (FirstBastion)  DONE

"This is what I think of you Mr. Supermodel!"     (Saphirewild)   DONE

"What was I thinking? It must have been that deviled ham I ate for lunch."    (RGcincy)  DONE

Gopherus #3

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can fit through that ring- maybe if I breathe in a bit?"   (MelanieL)   DONE

"ohhh, think I caugtht a big one this time for sure"    (FirstBastion)   DONE

"Stop trying to eat them!  These are not goldfish crackers!" — Lyam    DONE

"Yesss! I made the catch of the day!" — Saphirewild    DONE

"Fish just ain't biting today I guess." — RGcincy    DONE

"Thank you Flipper. A few more if you please." — RGcincy    DONE

"Yesss! I made the catch of the day!"  (Saphirewild)   DONE

"Fish just ain't biting today I guess."    (RGcincy)  Done

"Thank you Flipper. A few more if you please."    (RGcincy)  Done

(Bird to Dog) " You did NOT catch that, you liar!  My friend saw you take it out of the bucket."     Novica   Done

"Whelp, we've found three of the tires...now find the rest of the car and we'll have a sweeeeet ride."  Novica    Done

Saphirewild #1

"How much longer do I have to stay on the naughty seat?"    (MelanieL)     DONE

"The animatronic cat was still great as a chick magnet, but the poor old magic bus has definitely lost its mojo."  (Gopherus)  DONE

"Let's have a circus! We can sell tickets to raise money to repaint the clubhouse!"     (Gopherus)    DONE

"We have the stage. We have the costumers. But what happened to the audience?"  (RGcincy)  DONE

"How much did you say the rent was again?"    (RGcincy)    DONE

"Sooner or later the school's gonna miss their mascot. The bus, not so much."  (Novica)   DONE

"Trust me, babe. This is how we get our own Reality TV Show. We don't need talent, just a gimmick. Now if i can only get Fluffy to walk on her hindlegs from now on."    (Lyam)   DONE

"Sit! Stay! You're not giving me much to work with here."  (FirstBastion)  DONE

"Time to travel!  Gopherus went fishing to get some tires for us."   (Novica)  DONE

Render and caption removed, no response from artist.

Luci45  #1

"When I asked if you could blow things up, I meant balloons for the USO show, NOT the doughnut shop!  What a disaster!!" (Gopherus)  DONE

"You were supposed to save the fireworks for 4th of July!" "What? I had to test them to see if they're working." (isidorn)  DONE

"Hey lady, I see you've got the hots for me - and I can tell you that it's mutual!" (MelanieL)  DONE

"With a face like this,  what do you expect... hey bats wait up! " (FirstBastion)  DONE

"You know what they say - War is a bad joke." (Lyam)   DONE

"You idiot, I said to DX the PT,  NOT the TNT!"   (Novica)   DONE

"I don't care what a crow told you, Mr. Draven!  This is not Devil's Night!  And this is NOT Detroit!"   (Gopherus)  Done

"What fireworks?"   (RGcincy)  Done

"I just wanted to shed some light on the situation."   (RGcincy)  Done

Luci45  #2

"There ya go, just like your favorite television show- Orange Is The New Black!"  (Novica)   Done

Cousin It has never looked so good!  Red really becomes him!  Would he like to be gift wrapped or will you wear him home?" (Gopherus) Done

"Well, maybe just a touch of vermillion lipstick and you'll look just great!"   (MelanieL)   Done

"Look at the positive, Madam- this style makes your nose and ears look so much smaller!"   (MelanieL)   Done

"No worries! I soak my fingers in a calming solution of Eucalyptus and Lavender to help my clients relax."  (Gopherus)   Done

"I know! Awesome right? I've totally out done myself this time. Best "do" I'vedone this week."  (FirstBastion)  Done

"The perfect color for you! Everyone is going to notice you."   (RGcincy) Done

Post edited by Novica on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Just thought of something as I usually save my renders with a name that's a summary of the story it tells. As we're not supposed to give our renders a title and otherwise not reveal what our ideas are about our renders this time around, it's best to be careful what we name the file when we save our renders so we don't spoil it. As we attach the render to the forum post, it's very easy to see the file name of the attachment.0

With that said, I'm looking forward to see both what renders and captions we get :)

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103

Okay... try this one... Gopherus #01

Gopherus #1 "Noooo I missed tea time!"

Excellent render Gopherus. Instantly made me smile when I saw it.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited March 2016

Gopherus #1 "Stop! Stop! More guests are coming!"

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • LyamLyam Posts: 137

Gopherus #1 "Stop sir! You're not the groom! You're to be the wedding's human sacrifice at the end of the tea ceremony!"

Gopherus #1: "Don't eat those! They're frosted cow patties!" 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited March 2016

Gopherus #1: "Madam, I'd avoid the white ones - that parrot has been flying back and forth over them all afternoon!"

Post edited by MelanieL on

Lol Melanie! 

Game on folks- I'm working on one right now....

Novica #1  "Let him keep the sports section!  I'm sure not going to climb in there to get it back!!"

OMGosh, I got tears from laughing so hard. I never would have thought of that Gopherus!

After having done one, like to offer a small tip- have props in the scene that people can work with, and expressions that can be interpreted more than one way depending on what's going on in the scene. ACTION is a big part of these this month. Wanting to see what you other folks come up with for mine, and what you're going to render. This is fun! (BTW, that set is part of the promotions so far as buying new releases and getting up to 50% off. It's HUGE and has water around the tomb inside. Check it out!) 

Novica #1: "It's your turn to drill. It's the third tooth on the left."

Novica #1: "Eeurgh, great morning breath, fella!"

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219

Novica #1: "This guy's definitely not in the tourist guide! "

Novica #1: "I told you we took a wrong turn at Albuquerque. "

RGcincy #01  "Three measures of Gordon’s, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Add a large thin slice of lemon peel... Shaken not stirred!  SHAKEN NOT STIRRED!!!  Tell Miss Moneypenny to clear her dance card.  I'm on my way!"

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219

RGcincy  #1

"yes! yes!  vunderbarr... I have discovers the cure for crooked teeth..."

I would really like to recommend to view my entry in full size to have a better chance of seeing where it's aiming...wink

I kind of failed with this render as it's a bit hard to see the main punchline, or what to call it. But I hope it is fun anyway.

RGcincy  #1

"Hilda! Look what I found in my nose!"

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

isidorn #1

"Her aim has gotten better since the King married someone else!"

I loved this isidorn!  Gave me a laugh for the day!

edited March 2016

RGcincy #1

"The Fountain of Seniors!...Uh oh, now where did I put that OTHER bottle..."

Edit: Just read FirstBastions so I changed mine so it wouldn't be quite as similar at the beginning. Great minds think alike, what can I say...

Post edited by Novica on

isidorn #1

"I told you, it was just a friendly kiss, and she's my....um...cousin. Yeah, that's it, my cousin!" 

isidorn said:

I would really like to recommend to view my entry in full size to have a better chance of seeing where it's aiming...wink

I kind of failed with this render as it's a bit hard to see the main punchline, or what to call it. But I hope it is fun anyway.

Oh, I got it. Well, at least I think I do, or my mind is warped. Either way, great render!

RGcincy #1

"Mary, come quickly, I've had a bright idea!"

RGcincy #1

"Professor, please may I be excused? Can't wait too long at my age"

isidorn #1

"You might get a better angle if you took off those stupid high-heeled boots - where on earth did you find a pair like that?"

isidorn #1  "When Aiden took the job as arrow boy he thought it was going to be a cake walk... after all who could miss at that range... but that was before he saw how ditsy Kelly was with the bow!"

edited March 2016

isidorn #1: "Now who's the dummy??"

Novica  #1: "Get out of there Joe! that's not the cave entrance!!"

Gopherus #01: "I'd like to have you for dinner...oops... I mean have you over for dinner"

Post edited by RGcincy on

These are really funny!

BTW, I'm putting "Need to do" in red because we've got a lot of captions going and it's to help you spot the most recent ones if you're the artist who is grabbing the captions. Isidorn is on a different time zone and will be pleasantly surprised when he surfs back in!  I had to laugh, it makes it look like he's not on the ball but his was the new render so there's a lot of captioning going on while he's off the thread.

Want...more...renders!