NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

19495969798100»

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    jakiblue said:

So because I'm bored, I thought it would be fun to go through my DIM and change it to "A to Z" to check out my really OLD products - I was thinking of fitting some old A3 stuff to Star! - and I came across this little beauty. Remember the 3x3 Funcat? This cutie is so old, it still has .rsr files, plus it has MAT files for PP, P4, P5. Heh. I've always loved this buggy cos it reminds me of the Banana Splits tv show (uh oh chongo, it's danger island time! Man, that Jan Micheal Vincent was a hottie in his day)

Recommend: YES! Good little buggy for toons. (once you convert rsr's)

The funcat loads into 4.9 no problems at all. I changed all the mats to Iray ones - most of them are from the default DAZ Uber folder, that comes with DS. I really need a good "rubber" one, that would work for tyres and the handles on the controls. 

Funcat is dirt cheap right now - it's a good toony buggy that would work well with the toon characters etc. Once you convert the .rsr's to .png's and get rid of the extra P4/P5 mats (and keep the PP ones), then convert to Iray shaders, this beauty renders up well!!!

PS Because it's a cr2, it installs into the Poser library - I really want to keep it in my DS library cos I always tend to forgot to go to the poser library to look for stuff. Does anyone know what i would save it as? Support Asset -> Figure/Props asset? Or something else?

Fun looking buggy!

To convert rsr of a whole runtime with subfolders for free: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=57197

Personally, I am retaining PP AND P5 mats - because I am using DazStudio and Poser ...

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Barbult- at least some of the changes were made. But it would have been SUCH an easy fix to make the nurse cap the right color instead of gray. Agree about the socks, why subdivide those so much?! 

Thanks for letting everyone know what got done.

Kharma, how's the renders going with your new machine? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    Novica said:

Barbult- at least some of the changes were made. But it would have been SUCH an easy fix to make the nurse cap the right color instead of gray. Agree about the socks, why subdivide those so much?! 

Thanks for letting everyone know what got done.

I responded to the bug report to see if I can get some more fixed. Sometimes I think they don't understand what I am saying, or they don't take the time to read carefully. When I asked again about the nurse cap, they responded with stuff about the maid head band. So I responded again. If they choose not to change it, I'll just change it and make a material preset for myself. They fixed the main problems with the metadata and the sock UV.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I use that P3dO Explorer program - can't remember where I got it, but it was free. LOL. I only use it for converting rsr's to png, but I think it does some other stuff. I'm only using DS so I only keep the one set of mats....I don't recall but there was something said YEARS back where DS users should use the PP mats, not hte P4/P5 ones. I have no idea if that is still correct, but it's stuck in my head. I guess it wouldn't really matter nowadays as that was when I had no idea how to tweak poser mats to make it look good in DS (IE putting in bump maps and percentages by hand cos the old poser mats didn't load them in DS) 

Kerya said:
    jakiblue said:

So because I'm bored, I thought it would be fun to go through my DIM and change it to "A to Z" to check out my really OLD products - I was thinking of fitting some old A3 stuff to Star! - and I came across this little beauty. Remember the 3x3 Funcat? This cutie is so old, it still has .rsr files, plus it has MAT files for PP, P4, P5. Heh. I've always loved this buggy cos it reminds me of the Banana Splits tv show (uh oh chongo, it's danger island time! Man, that Jan Micheal Vincent was a hottie in his day)

Recommend: YES! Good little buggy for toons. (once you convert rsr's)

The funcat loads into 4.9 no problems at all. I changed all the mats to Iray ones - most of them are from the default DAZ Uber folder, that comes with DS. I really need a good "rubber" one, that would work for tyres and the handles on the controls. 

Funcat is dirt cheap right now - it's a good toony buggy that would work well with the toon characters etc. Once you convert the .rsr's to .png's and get rid of the extra P4/P5 mats (and keep the PP ones), then convert to Iray shaders, this beauty renders up well!!!

PS Because it's a cr2, it installs into the Poser library - I really want to keep it in my DS library cos I always tend to forgot to go to the poser library to look for stuff. Does anyone know what i would save it as? Support Asset -> Figure/Props asset? Or something else?

Fun looking buggy!

To convert rsr of a whole runtime with subfolders for free: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=57197

Personally, I am retaining PP AND P5 mats - because I am using DazStudio and Poser ...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

http://www.senosoft.com/ - the home of P3DO Explorer. The free version is not able to do subfolders - at least what I remember.

And I do remember the same thing about P4/PP/P5 - PP for DazStudio, P5 for Poser5 and above and P4 for Poser4 users.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited March 2016
    Novica said:

EDIT: Well, that's a NO on doing cloth. It makes it have corded sections like corduroy.

The displacement in both is 100% but with Studio being 0.10 and -0.10  and Reality is 0.0010 and -0.0010 

Studio: Subdivision level is 2, Catmark, Interpolation is Sharp Edges. Reality is Subdivision 0 but Keep Sharp Edges is checked.

I notice in the attached image that under Geometry 'Smooth Surface' is ticked, I don't know if that would make a difference. I don't use reality.

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    Novica said:

Kharma, how's the renders going with your new machine? 

It's slow going at the moment as I don't have much installed on that machine yet, I've been trying to get the basics set up and then decide how to install..DIM or Connect...I'm still torn between the two.  I am still learning the basics of Iray and Reality as I wasn't able to do much rendering on my other machine, but the speed increase on what I have done so far is a big improvement :)

edited March 2016

SereneNight was kind enough to email this to me (she's at work and I just checked my email)  This was in another thread in the forums. 

For the rest of the day today and tomorrow, if you buy any Newly Mad or Still Mad item (along with any of the stuff listed below) and use the coupon code: TRYING-G3 you'll get 90% off of the following items and it stacks with a PC+ discount.  Also coupon code WANNA-B-PLAT give you 30% off of a PC+ annual membership too!

Victoria 7 http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-7

Genesis 3 female head morphs http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-head-morphs

Genesis 3 female body morphs http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-body-morphs

Feel it! Mix and Match Expressions for Victoria 7 http://www.daz3d.com/feel-it-mix-and-match-expressions-for-victoria-7

Victoria 7 expression set http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-7-expression-set   (this went to .70 for me. I have everything else already.)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

You're also supposed to get SS Marcoor Corridor for .99 if you put it in the cart with any of today's new releases. (The email DID NOT say any of the PC New Releases.) It is not working at all. (EDIT- it indeed has to be a PC new release. Email is WRONG.) Says "with the purchase of any of today's new releases." 

Post edited by Novica on

The PC email newsletter always just says "with the purchase of any of today's new releases" - it's referring to that day's PC new releases as it's the PC newsletter.  

Novica said:

You're also supposed to get SS Marcoor Corridor for .99 if you put it in the cart with any of today's new releases. (The email DID NOT say any of the PC New Releases.) It is not working at all. (EDIT- it indeed has to be a PC new release. Email is WRONG.) Says "with the purchase of any of today's new releases." 

Yep, I know. But what it says and what it means aren't the same thing.  I didn't get the freebie as I showcased recently a neat sci fi corridor (think it was Dark Star) and don't need another one. 

edited March 2016

Hmmm. Does anyone have the Nomad outfit for the guys who can double check to see if he has sunglasses? They are not listed on the product page and I don't see them in the Scene breakdowns anywhere- but I think my dude is wearing them in Reality! (yes, you heard that right. My son started humming the Twilight Zone theme.) They are not there in Iray. EDIT: Picture is still coming in. We'll see what he does!

This is for the contest where you provide the captions, hop over and have fun. I am going to tell SereneNight what I had in mind, and we'll let you know if anyone thinks like I do! (Not something I'd want to claim that...) 

Mysterious Tomb               Nomad (Genesis 3 Males / Females)                     P3D Fukiko

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

Nice render Novica! I really like that outfit. It is nice and thick which a lot fo suits just aren't. It really looks like clothing, not spandex. THe render is cute with the dragon popping down to menace those travelers, and the guy is funny holding the map!

Ratings: Mysterious Tomb is awesome with water inside, and many great camera angles for broken columns and vegetation. P3D Fukiko will require a lot of tweaking if you don't like redder skin. She was easy to morph for expressions. Nomad outfit had very limited morphs for the parka, disappointing in that aspect. Parent the parka to the sweater to help with pokethrough. NO other fixes in Scene tabs other than the usual bend, twist, scale. Nomad is nicely done otherwise, great layered clothing.

Mysterious Tomb is HUGE and the tomb has water inside- it's really neat. And in the promotion, you can get it for 50% off with purchase of newly released items. Lots of rendering opportunities with that set.

P3D Fukiko required a LOT of skin tweaks, she was very ruddy IMO. I took the skin settings from Ragnar (the man in the scene) to lighten her up and even then, I had to really change a lot of other settings. 

I had quite a bit of pokethrough with the sweater and the parka for the male in the Nomad outfit. Frankly, I was disappointed in the parka morphs, felt they were limited. In Scene, it's the typical twist, scale, etc. Notice there's no chest adjustments and the sweater poked through on the right, one sleeve had pokethrough and no sleeve adjustments, etc. So I would give the included morphs a FAIL for the Parka. I was disappointed. (TIP: load the sweater first, then load the parka and parent/fit to the sweater.) My guy isn't even in an extreme pose and there was a lot of pokethrough in the sleeve and upper chest/side. It does have a nice sit morph however, which will come in handy to swing the front out for strides. Look at the lack of chest and sleeve help: (and waist, I just noticed that too.) 

lButonFix
    lFwRoom
    lNeckPush
    lZipperDownFix
    NeckBackRoom
    NOHeadWear
    rFwRoom
    SitHelper

Second, the shirt with the glowing green stripe makes absolutely no sense for this outfit IMO. Looks out of place. They want you to buy the texture set obviously (which I didn't. I'll use a shader.) 

edited March 2016

Thanks SereneNight!

BTW, the eye was rendering solid yellow-white, so that was completely done by hand. Here's a blowup (sorry, as good as I can get it, I sharpened it too) so a tip on eyes if you have to do them- for reptiles, yeah, you can do the slit, but it's interesting to make a bit of a curve like a comma. Look at the eye above, how it gives it such depth. You feel the curve of the lens.  Right above the pupil I put a dash of light color (yellow) then one concentrated dot of white slightly on it but above it. For the rims, I went in with dark olive green then added a lighter blue (look on the left outer rim, I did that with extra blue for an area that looks like light is hitting it from the front of the dragon.) 

DragonEye.jpg
    325 x 289 - 101K
    Post edited by Novica on

Wow, did you see the Iray SkyDome product coming out? Be sure and scroll down to see the images in the thread. Awesome!

I think I need to check out the base product now! He says it's an add on...I have no idea what hte base one is! 

Novica said:

Wow, did you see the Iray SkyDome product coming out? Be sure and scroll down to see the images in the thread. Awesome!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

Those skydomes look nice. I look forward to seeing that product hit the store

edited March 2016

This is the original Jakiblue.

Here's a closeup of Ragnar and Fukiko. You can see the nice detail in the Nomad outfits. It is nice to get male and female outfits in one product!

KukikoDragonCloseup.jpg
    845 x 780 - 666K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

I've looked at several of the beaded moisture skin products (rain, sheen, etc) and this one is less than $8 now if you are buying a new release. It comes in the G2/G3 bundle too, but that one is $40 and not on sale. I figure it's worth it to get this one for $8 then if I ever want it for G3 I can pick that up on sale later and still come out ahead of buying the bundle later. 70% off is alot and I like the main promo results- the white milky, not so much. It's returnable though, ya know?  

Edit: Anyone used it/have it rendered?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

Daz_Steve is very generously letting the 90% stacking go through the end of today. To see which items stack, write down the vendors in the March Madness stores, then in the 70% sale section, put them as the vendor. Note- it will not show 90% until you put it in the cart, don't look for a 90% off price. You must buy a newly released product(s). If you get the featured Zev0 item, that also helps with the discount.

I tested my cart and for the newly released MMs, it only cost me $2.50 to put the Zev0 back in because I was buying so many of the new releases that the 10% more from Zev0's made a big difference and ended up only being 2.50 more than without it.

It makes a difference when getting the main MM, I'm getting characters for $2.97   Without Zev0 it was 3.29

THE VENDORS ARE:V3Digitimes, Forbidden Whispers, Draagonstorm

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

Oh, interesting. You can swap recipes with people! Save and Share. (Get the Skin Builder Pro, it's also in those 90% stacking.)  I wonder how these would work in iray, a lot of the skins seem fine to be without the Iray Uber applied. If you could fine tune your own to look good in iray, this would be a good deal. Anyone try this in Iray lighting? 

Edit: Then you can fiddle with makeups options if you have the Skin Builder. Also stacks.

Edit: The Amazing Skins (male and female) are in the stacking group too.

Post edited by Novica on

ForbiddenWhispers is the only artist that is in the artist drop down of those Gen2 70% off. Is that the stackign sale you meatn? 

Novica said:

Daz_Steve is very generously letting the 90% stacking go through the end of today. To see which items stack, write down the vendors in the March Madness stores, then in the 70% sale section, put them as the vendor. Note- it will not show 90% until you put it in the cart, don't look for a 90% off price. You must buy a newly released product(s). If you get the featured Zev0 item, that also helps with the discount.

I tested my cart and for the newly released MMs, it only cost me $2.50 to put the Zev0 back in because I was buying so many of the new releases that the 10% more from Zev0's made a big difference and ended up only being 2.50 more than without it.

It makes a difference when getting the main MM, I'm getting characters for $2.97   Without Zev0 it was 3.29

THE VENDORS ARE:V3Digitimes, Forbidden Whispers, Draagonstorm

edited March 2016

Considering it depends on what you own- if you own everything from one of the vendors then I assume they won't show up for you in the side menu either? Edit: I don't think that's right, but I don't know if that side list shows only what you don't own from each vendor?

For me, V3Digitimes, Forbidden Whispers, and Draagonstorm were three that were in the vendors section of the 70% off page, that are also listed in the March Madness stores. I wrote down all the stores, then went to the 70% off page and checked the vendor list.

Post edited by Novica on

Ah, it's that time again. Whew, 100 pages and about 61,000 views. I have some interesting statistics to post in Thread 7, as I monitored the other previous threads to see if anyone was surfing in. It's nice to know the images our talented artists are sharing to show the products are still quite actively being seen. NOT COUNTING the 61,000 views/posts here, the other five threads have 322,936 views/posts and 7,026 new VIEWS last month. That tells me the content is still helping people see the products, and we've covered a lot of them. 

Here's thread 7- it's not up with content yet (you can post, I've reserved the first two)  but we only had four posts left so let's close this one down! 

edited March 2016

BTW, I did find where I posted about that Iray product for V4. I KNEW I had, just couldn't find it because it's back on page 88.

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.