NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Novica you mentioned using openCL in reality, I noticed in my settings it saiys I have OpenCL version installed and nvidea v1.2.  when you go to the render tab and then scene configuration do ou have opencl rendering checked?  If I check that my reality render is just black and I get an error saying luxrender.exe has quit. I am trying this in DS 4.9..do you maybe have a screen shot of your scene configuration settings?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited March 2016

Kharma- I haven't used OpenCL, I read up on it and linked where to find the driver. In RUG (reality user guide) it said not to start with that. With the speed of our computers, just go with the default CPU Accelerated- don't even use Boost.

realityRender.jpg
    599 x 232 - 681K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

Now when I am rendering it starts all black and then large chunks of black change to the render instead of showing the whole grainy render and then becoming more clear even tho I now have the default cpu accelerated checked.  At the bottom it tells me I have 12 threads and 12 devices, not sure what that means but faster than the laptop as it said only 4 threads.  Reloaded Helenas tomb and reset everything and now it's rendering correctly.

Post edited by Kharma on

I checked one of my LuxRender ones (the picnic, using Fisty's shaders) and it says the same thing, 12 threads, 12 devices, and I don't know what that means either LOL!

Trying one now using the Chircahua plaza IBL but can never figure out how to make the person look like they are standing on the ground instead of floating in space, except for that the render looks not too bad.  I will have to read through the other thread on reality and the user guide some more

Try the Summi Pool when you get time, the lighting on that is pretty. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Further to RGcincy's fabulous look to the multiplane thingy in iray, thought I'd check it out myself. :) Now, I haven't used the multiplane, environment thingy in a long long time. While it's a great idea, they are showing their age badly. In fact, I don't think I've used them since I first started playing in DS all those years ago. LOL. 

This is the Millenium Environment...I think it's just the default one. As you can see, the ground textures look pretty dreadful, but I didn't realize till after, that the ground terrain is separate in the Mill Environment and you can easily use a shader on it for iray (perhaps one of the Nature Shaders...I'll check that out)

As for lighting, it's only using the HDRI that comes with DS..the ruins one. The settings...well, I cheated and used the settings that AprilYSH includes with her hairs. They are suprisingly, quite GOOD - I've used those settings for a couple of portrait recently and have really liked the effect. The only thing I did was turn hte 'bloom' off. 

So while the Mill Environment is showing it's age, and is not up to scratch compared with more recent products, it's not bad at all. 

Oh also, I did NOT put the DAZ Uber iray settings on the Mill Environment...this is exactly as it loads. 

Sidenote: I really really HATE that effect, where if Gen3's body parts are too close to her clothes, you get poke-thru and holes. I can never figure how to fix that, except for moving the limbs further out. IT's that same thing where part of the outfit will wrap AROUND a wrist etc 

iraymultiplanetest.png
    600 x 1200 - 1M
    edited March 2016

Here's something that occurred to me last night - do you think the HDRI's that are in Horo and David Brinnen's BRYCE products, would be suitable for using in DS iray? As lighting mainly, not neccessarily as used for backgrounds. David's store is on sale now: http://www.daz3d.com/david-brinnen so I was curious whether you could use the HDRI's in teh bryce stuff. I dont' have Bryce...well, I'm not sure if I have it, I might, but I've not used it. But I believe HDRI's can be used in any program that uses htem, so it would be curious to see if Bryce users who have any of his products, could check and see. 

edit: according to hte store, I do own Bryce 7 Pro. LOL

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I like Bryce - it is my "having fun" software - and the only one I am really watching video tutorials for (I hate video tutorials, but David's and Horo's are great).

That said: you might have Horo's Bryce, Carrara & Daz Studio Iray HDRI https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_23658 from the last christmas freebies

omg i forgot I had that!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for reminding me. I remember opening it up the first time and seeing htere was a great pdf included that had tips and tricks etc.  

Kerya said:

I like Bryce - it is my "having fun" software - and the only one I am really watching video tutorials for (I hate video tutorials, but David's and Horo's are great).

That said: you might have Horo's Bryce, Carrara & Daz Studio Iray HDRI https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_23658 from the last christmas freebies

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    jakiblue said:
    Sidenote: I really really HATE that effect, where if Gen3's body parts are too close to her clothes, you get poke-thru and holes. I can never figure how to fix that, except for moving the limbs further out. IT's that same thing where part of the outfit will wrap AROUND a wrist etc 

Change the collision modifier on the trousers to 1, might help (usually fixes the armpit problems).. setting it to 0 will definately fix that problem but you might then get pokethough elsewhere on them.

edited March 2016

Kerya, did you do your link from your Product Library? That's a weird link. I didn't know we could do that! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Novica said:

Kerya, did you do your link from your Product Library? That's a weird link. I didn't know we could do that! 

Yes, although it will only work if you own it.

Novica said:

Right, but as the christmas freebies are not in the store or if they made it to the store now as paid for items may have changed their name (like Horo's, which is now http://www.daz3d.com/3-high-resolution-hdri-set-1 ) I didn't see it as a good idea to just mention the name.

I do not like the square shoulders on that Blazer Outfit. It looks downright uncomfortable to me.  It doesn't have pockets (which I prefer) and the top of the lapel appears to arch up and bow back down, and is pointy. Look at the white blazer frontal thumbnail- see the pointy area on the lapel that's by her neck? Is that lighting?

The shirt seems to have a decent texture and the stitching on the side of the jeans seems okay- but those shoulders being stiff and squared, and the lapel, are two things that don't appeal to me based on the promo art. The thumbnail showing the pants undone give you an even better look at the square shoulder.

LOL - looks very 80s, shoulder pads and all (which were not uncomfortable at all - they were made of foam).

edited March 2016
    Kerya said:

LOL - looks very 80s, shoulder pads and all (which were not uncomfortable at all - they were made of foam).

I remember those- but mine weren't pointed- remember the curved ends so they resembled shoulder curves? It does remind me of Dynasty and Linda Crystal wearing those lol. EDIT: I just typed those (80s shoulder pads) in Google and some are rounded, some are indeed sharp. Anyway,  my characters aren't wearing that just because I want the emphasis on their face, not shoulders.

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Hopefully everyone does, that was a very nice thing for them to offer. Has anyone used it yet?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    Novica said:
    Novica said:

Hopefully everyone does, that was a very nice thing for them to offer. Has anyone used it yet?

I have tried all 3 HDRI files in the Iray render settings environment map, but I wasn't pleased with the results. I posted some sample renders in another thread. I'm on my phone right now and I don't have a quick link to that thread.

wait, is that the same thing as his freebie?? 

Kerya said:
    Novica said:

Right, but as the christmas freebies are not in the store or if they made it to the store now as paid for items may have changed their name (like Horo's, which is now http://www.daz3d.com/3-high-resolution-hdri-set-1 ) I didn't see it as a good idea to just mention the name.

edited March 2016

According to the link Kerya gave to the freebie in the Product library, sure looks like it.  Same images. EDIT: Here's what the Product Library description of the freebie says:

Image Based Light can be used to Render with Natural Light, but also to light any other scene that must not necessarily be photo-realistic. All three Daz 3D programs accept the same type of HDRI. The three HDRIs included are in medium size and can be loaded directly into any of the Daz programs. For those new to HDRI and IBL, a short introduction is supplied and for every one of the three programs in the form of a starter document that should get you going. There is an outdoor, an indoor and an abstract HDRI to motivate you to experiment with this great lighting method in your favourite 3D program.
    Using the HDR's in Daz Studio with 3Delight is possible with the native UberEnvironment lights!

Post edited by Novica on

The three images are the same images, however in the free version you only get one version of each, whereas the paid product states: 

• 3 High Resolution HDRI Set 1
    • HDRI's
      • 3 High Resolution HDRIs (.HDR) 8192 x 4096 pixels
      • 3 Low Resolution HDRIs (.HDR) 4096 x 2048 pixels
      • 3 Specular Convolved HDRIs (.HDR) 1024 x 512 pixels
    • 3 High Resolution Tone-Mapped LDRIs (.JPG) 8192 x 4096 

so i suspect he expanded on the free version. 

Here is the other thread I mentioned about the HDRI images http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/72882/3-high-resolution-hdri-set-1-where-are-they

edited March 2016
    Kharma said:

Trying one now using the Chircahua plaza IBL but can never figure out how to make the person look like they are standing on the ground instead of floating in space, except for that the render looks not too bad.  I will have to read through the other thread on reality and the user guide some more

I'm reading the PDF with Horo's freebie, and he suggests putting the person/object on a shadow which makes them seem more embedded. EDIT: He also suggested going to Environment in Render Settings, you'll see the word Dome and the word Ground, open Ground and fiddle with the Shadow Intensity- careful, he says it makes big changes with small tweaks. (He said change by 0.1 until you get the feel of it.)  I didn't even know that was there!

Post edited by Novica on

Barbult, in your post over there you said:

These appear to be slightly higher resolution versions of the HDRI files that were given away in the December holiday giveaway. I didn't have very good luck with the free ones. The lighting seemed surprisingly dark to me. I used a table and chair set from the I13 Iray Coffee Shop and Michael 7, with the latest Iray materials, rendered in the latest DS Beta 4.9.1.30. Even when M7 was moved into the bright area of the scene, he was dark. That looked weird.

Here are some examples that I rendered with the free ones.

and that's what I am encountering with them too. The figure looks extremely dark in every single one, no difference. Also, the room one....in mine, the room looks skewed towards the middle, not normal such as yours does. 

barbult said:

Here is the other thread I mentioned about the HDRI images http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/72882/3-high-resolution-hdri-set-1-where-are-they

barbult said:

They do look dark. In his introduction PDF he mentions "with a prominent light source in the HDRI, like the sun in FORK, there may not be enough ambient light left and you may need some additional dome light to provide the ambient." which frankly confuses me because isn't the HDRI (from which the IBL is generated) the same as the dome? Everytime I think I've wrapped my head around this, sentences like that throw me for a loop. Is he meaning to increase the Map Intensity or Environment Intensity? (And I've wondered about the difference in those two. Anyone experimented?)

Novica said:
    barbult said:

They do look dark. In his introduction PDF he mentions "with a prominent light source in the HDRI, like the sun in FORK, there may not be enough ambient light left and you may need some additional dome light to provide the ambient." which frankly confuses me because isn't the HDRI (from which the IBL is generated) the same as the dome? Everytime I think I've wrapped my head around this, sentences like that throw me for a loop. Is he meaning to increase the Map Intensity or Environment Intensity? (And I've wondered about the difference in those two. Anyone experimented?)

Those statements don't make any sense to me either. Perhaps they are directed at a different application than Daz Studio or a different render engine than Iray. Anyway, they were free, so I haven't worried about it much. I don't think I'll ever use them for a real render, though.

jakiblue said:

These appear to be slightly higher resolution versions of the HDRI files that were given away in the December holiday giveaway. I didn't have very good luck with the free ones. The lighting seemed surprisingly dark to me. I used a table and chair set from the I13 Iray Coffee Shop and Michael 7, with the latest Iray materials, rendered in the latest DS Beta 4.9.1.30. Even when M7 was moved into the bright area of the scene, he was dark. That looked weird.

and that's what I am encountering with them too. The figure looks extremely dark in every single one, no difference. Also, the room one....in mine, the room looks skewed towards the middle, not normal such as yours does. 

barbult said:

Can you show an example. I can't picture "skewed toward the middle".

Novica said:
    barbult said:

I am not near my render pc ... as far as I remember it includes howtos for Iray and 3delight Uberenvironment ...

it's not "straight" if you get what i mean.  See how it all 'bends' behind her?

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

barbult said:

Can you show an example. I can't picture "skewed toward the middle".

hdritest.jpg
    600 x 1200 - 346K
This discussion has been closed.