NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2016

Ta-dah! The old and the new. Fabric Basics Mix and Match for Iray is a joy to play with! Backside shot rendering now, showing the cape. The shader images are 1200 pixels high, click to enlarge/ click again. (Except for the back view.)

The overskirt does go into the skirt a bit, (my error, not the shaders!)  but you get the idea about the product. Funtime!

Summer ArthurianORIG.jpg
    443 x 900 - 293K
    Summer ArthurianFABRIC.jpg
    591 x 1200 - 642K
    Summer ArthurianFABRIC2.jpg
    646 x 1200 - 720K
    Summer ArthurianFABRIC3.jpg
    646 x 1200 - 914K
    Summer ArthurianFABRIC4.jpg
    297 x 800 - 235K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

OOHHH I love that shader!  I have played a bit with it and love the combinations you can get, and Fisty always has beautiful colors to pick from in her shaders.  Really nice to see you showcase it here as I find I use more shaders for retexturing instead of buying new textures sets for clothing. I also have the PD kit which is awesome.

As far as the computer goes operating system and driver updates are installed, altho it gives me an error saying my waterpump has no driver but the cpu is staying around 35C so I think that's ok.  I haven't put it online yet to do Windows 10 updates but once that is outta the way I am aiming for Saturday to get DS and my product library installed and organized.  Still unsure about connect, it's hard to get an honest opinion about it with so much negativity flying around,  so I will stick with DIM as I know how it works :) I also need to figure out how to get studio and my product library onto my E drive ( 2T) as C drive is only 500 Gb SSD

I think I saw it somewhere on how to put 4.9 where you want it, I stuck with 4.8. When I installed 4.9, it didn't give me a choice, (remember in the thread I mentioned I was surprised it was installing without any further prompts other than acknoledging if it was okay to install?) I think fixmypcmike would know how to get it onto your E drive. I definitely don't think it should load onto C without asking, there's been a LOT of grief about that as C tends to fill up quickly if you have a variety of programs. Doesn't take long!  Let us know Saturday how it goes. I would have been LOST without using DIM when I wanted to start from scratch to install things back into the studio (I was catagorizing as I went. Note the "was." That was when 4.9 after 3 days removed/jumbled all the custom categories.)  I didn't have a problem with Connect the few times I used it, I just didn't do encryption. You're going to have so much FUN this weekend!

You might go back onto the threads we were both on a month ago (about the computers) and see what the folks think about the waterpump error. Maybe the place where you bought it from can help.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited February 2016

Invited Guest Contributer

I used:

- EXO Suit for Genesis 3 Male(s) http://www.daz3d.com/exo-suit-for-genesis-3-male-s

- https://d.adroll.com/cm/n/outSci-Fi Passageway http://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-passageway

Sci-Fi.jpg
    927 x 1200 - 995K
    Post edited by Sasje on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    Novica said:

I think I saw it somewhere on how to put 4.9 where you want it, I stuck with 4.8. When I installed 4.9, it didn't give me a choice, (remember in the thread I mentioned I was surprised it was installing without any further prompts other than acknoledging if it was okay to install?) I think fixmypcmike would know how to get it onto your E drive. I definitely don't think it should load onto C without asking, there's been a LOT of grief about that as C tends to fill up quickly if you have a variety of programs. Doesn't take long!  Let us know Saturday how it goes. I would have been LOST without using DIM when I wanted to start from scratch to install things back into the studio (I was catagorizing as I went. Note the "was." That was when 4.9 after 3 days removed/jumbled all the custom categories.)  I didn't have a problem with Connect the few times I used it, I just didn't do encryption. You're going to have so much FUN this weekend!

You might go back onto the threads we were both on a month ago (about the computers) and see what the folks think about the waterpump error. Maybe the place where you bought it from can help.

Have you all seen this news about DRM and some changes to studio regarding file structure? And give a big congrats to timmins.williams for his helpful suggestions in implementing

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/71891/#first

Interesting, no I hadn't.  I'm not buying encrypted so whatever they do doesn't impact me (other than not having the products to put in the thread for a very long time- a year) and I just hope everything works out for the vendors and they get what THEY want. It's their livelihood and that's what matters to me frankly. I've enough products to last me a very long time.

I had typed up more but deleted it. It doesn't matter anyway (to me.)  Thanks for letting us know about it, appreciate it!

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

(Re: Vertical vs Horizontal) what the difference is- is it the shadows the material will cast? I ended up going with the Geometric Rough. Second question- I assume that will affect my sheen, since it's rough?

The geometric rough only has one dirrection so that one doesn't matter, the other geometric ones are knit and the distinction is how the stiches on the knitting run, it's so if you have a sweater model and the arms are not rotated the correct way on the UV map you can have the knitting going the same way as the body.  It's really not obvious on the t-shirt level of smallness (is that a word?) but if you do the tiling really low like 1 or 2 for a chunky sweater it becomes very obvious if the knitting is going the wrong dirrection.  (If you hover over the thumbnail in the content library the 256 pixel version of the thumbnail should pop up, it's much easier to see the difference on those).  2nd part - Very rough textures do not show sheen as strongly, correct.  So lowering the bumpiness as well as upping the shine like you did is the correct combination for getting shiny-er but still rough looking.  =)

(Does tiling have much effect on Suede?)

As much as it does on anything else, it repeats the diffuse texture and normal maps... it's just not nearly as obvious as some of the other patterns.

Question: In (2) Texture there is Leather. I applied it just in case, but is this the exact same thing as the Premade?

Yes, same diffuse and normal maps so you don't have to apply "leather" from the texture folder, what you see is what you get with that folder, you don't even have to apply the base shader first with those.  The premade ones don't have anything extra maps aren't already in the other folders, they're just premixed for ease of use.  I primarily made that premade folder because of the chainmail and sparkle ones which are a bit tricky/time consuming to mix every time you want to use them in their most common way.  So if you want gold chainmail it's much easier to just apply a premade chainmail and then change the color to light yellow instead of having the choose the chaimail texture, yellow color, very shiny, high metalic, correct transparency, yada yada..  too much work.

Thank you!!! 

edited February 2016

Going back through the thread, Jakiblue posted here about a free Iray light set that a vendor from here set up for their own use. 

Okay, a note about Blooming Alley- even when I turned off huge sections, my computer was lagging a bit. So if you have a slow to average computer, get everything out of the scene that you can, and expect your computer to possibly lag while you're doing test rendering in the viewport. I just wanted to show you one more example of Fisty's shaders. The top, belt, flip flops and jean shorts.  Ignore the composition (I normally leave more room at the bottom for the feet) because any further away and you wouldn't see the clothing as well. 

Edit: BTW, that's Anabelle materials on (IIRC) G2F.

Summer Park 2.jpg
    450 x 900 - 426K
    Summer Park 3.jpg
    450 x 900 - 418K
    Post edited by Novica on

Sasje, your render looks like it should be on the cover of a sci-fi magazine! I love the sepia tones and his posture says so much! You did a beautiful job!

I got the Muelsfell Dungeon Crawl Display Base for $1.87 with my $10 off (folks who got it should see an orange popup.) SInce the vendor did such a good job on the forest, thought I would try their dungeon. Anyone rendered that? 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Apparently I have that, but I had forgotten. LOL. I haven't rendered it yet.  

Novica said:

I got the Muelsfell Dungeon Crawl Display Base for $1.87 with my $10 off (folks who got it should see an orange popup.) SInce the vendor did such a good job on the forest, thought I would try their dungeon. Anyone rendered that? 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Novica said:

Ta-dah! The old and the new. Fabric Basics Mix and Match for Iray is a joy to play with! Backside shot rendering now, showing the cape. The shader images are 1200 pixels high, click to enlarge/ click again. (Except for the back view.)

The overskirt does go into the skirt a bit, (my error, not the shaders!)  but you get the idea about the product. Funtime!

I love this product as well. Still learing all the ins and outs of it but man, sooo many possible combinations it could take years to explore all of them.

Can I put a recommendation in for the randomizer and the skin builder?  Not sure what the etiquette is but these two items I use almost every time I open studio. 

edited February 2016

The etiquette is everyone is welcome to post, I'm happy to have you join in and chat about the products you really like! If possible, post an example so folks can see it in action/ how it looks, but if you don't have a render we still would love to hear what works for you/what you like. I don't have skin builder so anything you know and want to share, feel free!

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2016

Oh boy do I have examples lol.  The first one is just the randomizer.  One of my favorite things about it is the fact that you get characters that are not perfectly beautiful. And you can choose which morphs to use ( I have noticed, I have a lot of elf ears, so I had to unselect about half of the different elf ears or I would get a character with elf ears every time)  And you can save your presets to load again so you don't have to check all the boxes.  He has a thread he keeps a close eye on and has updated several times already to incorporate different requests.  I find that I almost never buy a character anymore as I am getting some really fantastic ones using this script.  And the skin builder, you can make any color skin that you want. If you get the skin builder pro and the save and share you can save all of the skins that you make as well.  My avatar is also from the randomizer.  The second one is both the randomizer and the skin builder.  Wish I would have had the save and share when I did this skin because I love it. The skin builder has options for skin (with skin color, specular, velvet and somethign else I can't remember off hand) make up ( lips, blush, eye shadow, eye liner) eyebrows, eyes,  and nails. the third figure is also a randomizer character. and the fourth is both randomizer and skin builder. The glowing eyes do not come from the skin builder lol.

Edited to add that you can put teeth claws etc into the mix and my understanding is that you can try it on hair and other items as well.  The sking builder on the other hand you can only use on Genesis and Genesis 2 as things don't line up right on the figures its not made for.

Save and Share Skin Builder - http://www.daz3d.com/save-and-share-for-skin-builder

Skin Builder Pro - http://www.daz3d.com/skin-builder-for-genesis-and-genesis2-female-s

SimTenero Randomizer http://www.daz3d.com/simtenero-randomizer

I think I did it right.  Let me know if I misses a button somewhere

Alleya with Attitude Resized.png
    494 x 800 - 749K
    nyla-3delight_425_auto.png
    425 x 566 - 316K
    Draya Character.png
    510 x 826 - 555K
    Janna Darkstar.png
    494 x 800 - 618K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited February 2016

Oooh, the eyes on the last one was a surprise!

I do recall wondering about the Skin Builder- how is it different than just changing the color of the skin in Surface>Diffuse (and Specular)? Does it do something that I couldn't do otherwise, or is it primarily an ease of use thing with sliders?

BTW, forgot to mention, my bad- do you know how to do links? When we talk about the products we link them so folks can surf in. Just in case anyone needs to know how- you go up to the link (looks like a chain, above this textbox area) and put the URL in there. We also do the link at a separate window popup so folks can easily X back out of it. (There's a second tab when you do the link, the first is Link Info and that second one is Target. In the dropdown menu on that page select New Window (_blank)  Can you go back and link those two products for us? 

I love your avatar BTW!

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

So many nice renders in this thread lately, I don't know where to start.

@Novica: I like your couples ninjas. That's a fun idea and cute render.

@Jakiblue I like your render of Sheridan hair. Very pretty. I can see the PA is a fan of Bettie Page as that hairstyle is her trademark hair.

@Barbult your render of Christina Hair is lovely.

@Novica: That outfit is a shame. I bet the Edwardians would be rolling in their graves with so much pokethrough. I had similar issues with the male Edwardian outfit, which is why I bought and never used it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Novica said:
    I do recall wondering about the Skin Builder- how is it different than just changing the color of the skin in Surface>Diffuse (and Specular)? Does it do something that I couldn't do otherwise, or is it primarily an ease of use thing with sliders?

They don't just apply a diffuse color, there are 4 separate base skins with custom diffuse and specular maps.

Novica said:

Oooh, the eyes on the last one was a surprise!

BTW, forgot to mention, my bad- do you know how to do links? When we talk about the products we link them so folks can surf in. Just in case anyone needs to know how- you go up to the link (looks like a chain, above this textbox area) and put the URL in there. We also do the link at a separate window popup so folks can easily X back out of it. (There's a second tab when you do the link, the first is Link Info and that second one is Target. In the dropdown menu on that page select New Window (_blank)  Can you go back and link those two products for us? 

I love your avatar BTW!

Okay I think that did it.  And thank you!  The skin builder doesn't just do the skin but you can do a full range of (single color) make up as well. The save and share comes with 6 skins I think and then you can add any and all of your own. 

edited February 2016

Okay, just so others will know how to do it- (and thanks for your patience/cooperation!) highlight the words you want to link (I forgot to mention that, this is all on me) THEN open the link (that little chain link) and put the URL in the text box that says URL. Then go to the second tab that says Target and in the dropdown select the New Window (_blank)  Then when people click on the words you highlighted (The product name) it will take them to the product page.   It's a learning experience, but it's nice and neat to have the words linked instead of seeing a long URL. EDIT: I'm remembering when a dear person told me how to do forum links- his name was of course Jaderail.

Thanks for the explanation on the Skin Builder!

Post edited by Novica on

Any tips on converting eyes in Iray?  This is driving me nuts.  I tried the recommended setting I found in the tips and tricks thread and its not really working.  While they don't look like dead fish eyes anymore they still aren't quite there. Says for the iris the roughness should be .24 but I can't even find the roughness.  And the glossy to.2 but which glossy?

Any tips on converting eyes in Iray?  This is driving me nuts.  I tried the recommended setting I found in the tips and tricks thread and its not really working.  While they don't look like dead fish eyes anymore they still aren't quite there. Says for the iris the roughness should be .24 but I can't even find the roughness.  And the glossy to.2 but which glossy?

Which post in tips and tricks? I rely on postwork sometimes for the eyes to put highlights in, but I do a test render first to see how the eyes look without the UberBase applied (are you doing that, testing it?) then with the Optimized Iray skin (G2F), then without, and see which one looks better or which one I can tweak with 2d touchups. When I apply the optimized skin for G2F, I don't select the eyes, tears, etc because I have already tested those separately. I'd be interested in seeing what the post said, I can't get into studio right now to check settings.

Is there a character you like that you could go into Surfaces and see what the settings are? That's my way of cheating, lol. 

Which figure/character are you working with? Maybe someone has it that has rendered or tweaked it already.

Here's a few links that came up when I Googled daz iray eye problems

Iray Skin Shader Settings (DA, from the Iray thread here w tweaks, including from Lyoness) Nothing specific on eyes though

Here's a few tidbits from here and there:

As icecrmn suggests apply the Iray Water - Thin shader preset to the Cornea, eye surface and tear surface on your figure, the names of the surfaces vary depending on the figure. (ANOTHER PERSON SAID THIS TURNED THEM WHITE THOUGH)

This is the Iray Eye Thread

timmins.william said:

Cornea, I start with Water shader, then adjust refraction to 1.34, top coat 1.0, white, fresnel, IOR 1.38, roughness 0 (going off of some suggestions of Mec4D).
    Note that if you use any glossy roughness with a transparent object, it looks cloudy/frosted.
    I shut off Eye Reflection (cutout 0.0)
    Iris, I usually use the default optimized skin, which is glossy .2, roughness .24.

I am using Harleigh I think Gen2f but the eyes are Lotus.  And it definitely looks better with out the uber base.  I can do reflection in post work easily but everyone seems keen on converting them.  I haven't been able to make it look good converted with any of the figures I have yet.  I don't know why I didn't just think to leave them alone lol. I will have a look at the settings tomorrow as its currently rendering the one with the untouched eyes and its well past midnight here.  Things are starting to get a bit blurry lol.

And I wanted to thank you for the great mini tutorial you did it made things MUCH clearer and easier to understand.

BINGO!  Look at that eye!

Novica said:

BINGO!  Look at that eye!

Ah that is a bit clearer.  Will play with this tomorrow. That looks fantastic.  Not what I am getting at all lol

Here's a mapless snow shader by Sickleyield. Stonemason had asked about snow.

edited February 2016

I'm going to be frank here- what the heck are the promo people thinking? First we have the dragon leering at some woman's hiney, and now the Ironman13 product promo (who btw is a woman) has a dean leering at woman with her legs spread apart? Look at her feet placement if you want to REALLY get an idea of what that man's view is. Come on get some CLASS with these images. They shouldn't have ever been allowed through quality control / marketing / whatever.

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.