NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited February 2016
    Kerya said:
    Novica said:

And for fun, here's inside the tunnel. Question- this is one surface area, I went to Surfaces to increase the bump (it didn't matter if everything got increased because we're only looking at one area.) If there's nothing in the bump strength (it says choose map), the bump (neg and positive) won't do anything when changed, right? It didn't appear to. 

Correct.

What you can do (for a quick and dirty fix) is plug in the texture map into the bump channel and then use bump.

It's not great (and if a bought product uses this trick or just a desaturated texture map as bump map, I am miffed), but it works.

Surprising how many PAs do dump in a greyscale copy of the texture map as bump, at least in my relatively small library.

Post edited by Teofa on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited February 2016
    Teofa said:
    Kerya said:
    Novica said:

And for fun, here's inside the tunnel. Question- this is one surface area, I went to Surfaces to increase the bump (it didn't matter if everything got increased because we're only looking at one area.) If there's nothing in the bump strength (it says choose map), the bump (neg and positive) won't do anything when changed, right? It didn't appear to. 

Correct.

What you can do (for a quick and dirty fix) is plug in the texture map into the bump channel and then use bump.

It's not great (and if a bought product uses this trick or just a desaturated texture map as bump map, I am miffed), but it works.

Surprising how many PAs do dump in a greyscale copy of the texture map as bump, at least in my relatively small library.

Well, bump and Displacement are gray scale formats, and I've read somewhere that they have issues if a color image is just dropped into the setting (That was a rather old thread. I'm still not willing to chance it).

As for why it can work with a gray scale version of the diffuse map, it is the 'texture' that matters, not necessarily the details in the texture. There was a scene in Aliens, that probably illustrates this best. Working with strings and silicon puppets, they needed a 'Face hugger' to jump up onto a crate after running across the room. The only way to do that back then, was to film it in reverse with the 'Face hugger' yanked off of the crate. Yea it has been done before, however this scene also had the fire suppressor sprinklers going. Every one except the director thought the drops of water rising off the floor would give it away. James Cameron insisted, it is not the direction of the water from the sprinklers that matters, its the texture of them hitting on the floor that makes it work. Well, guess what, even with the water drops rising off the floor in the short cut of film, it still looked incredible spliced in with the rest of the scene.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2016

Oh, I hate opening technical discussions because I get lost so quickly, but after NINE HOURS yesterday of messing with Rendo content and playing with it, I have some questions. thanks in advance. First, my setup for the content is in D and simply called Daz. (not the default, which is I believe in C and called My Library, etc)  Under Daz I have: (usng the numbers on purpose, they aren't there, it's just to help us because those file names are found elsewhere, which is my question.)

1. Content

2. data

3. People

4. Runtime      and then Scripts as number 5. Don't need to ask anything about that one.

Here's what messed me up and I figured other people may run into this or have the same questions. I couldn't get not one, but two characters to show up, and I noticed they each had the same setup. So I went back to my laptop and looked at one that DID install, and had success. I think. I'm not sure if the lips are messing up with the morphs, just so you know where I'm heading with this. Cut to the chase: When I extracted the files, they didn't have the word "Content" in front of them, they started with  2.Data   or   3.People  or    4.Runtime   When I put them under Content>Data  (NOT 2.data)    or  Content>People  (NOT 3.People)   or Content>Runtime  (NOT 4.Runtime)  they showed up in the files section (Content Library) of the Daz Studio Formats (with the Genesis 2 Female>Characters)  

The one I was really iffy about was this one:

Runtime (4) >Libraries>Morphs   and it also had Runtime(4) >Libraries>Pose   and I put those under Content>Runtime>Libraries then the Pose and Morph sections. 

Does it matter that I am putting these in Content> (whatever it is, 1, 2, 3, or 4) instead of putting it directly into 1,2,3 or 4?  She showed up (both did) but I'm not sure the lips are right. It's weird, they don't match the promo shots very well but they match the thumbnail image in the studio. 

Arrrgh.Hate files. Writing down all the paths for these so I could pull them back out was a pain in the hiney!  But if this can help anyone else who has characters not showing up, glad to help. NONE of the extracted files had Content in front of it. Odelle, who I did a week or two ago, was also put in Content>data>DAZ 3D>Genesis 3>Females>Morphs, with CONTENT as the main (is it directory?) folder. 

I also noticed there was a DAZ 3d and a daz3d. What's up with that? 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2016

Rating: Recommend All.

Bridget (Sabby) left, and Bianca (SASE) from Renderosity.  Bridget has Nightfever Hair, I used Praline (two toned) and changed the light bangs to a couple shades darker using 182/172/165. Bianca has Romance Hair and both girls are wearing Get Funky Josie, which also has a tattered/torn look vest in case you're looking for one of those.  I changed Bridget's lips, didn't like them at all (almost starting to go into that hideous duck-lip thing.) What you simply HAVE to add to your pose library are Aave's GirlfriendZ Poses!

This is Bridget (the one on the left above) with my lip tweak, not spending a lot of time of them right now but they look better at least. Also tweaked the teeth. This also uses Slosh's Iray Universal Hair Texture product.

This is Bianca with the default teeth. No variation. (Vendors do that so you can fix them your way.) 

This is Bianca with teeth tweaked.

BridgetBiancaRendo.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 411K
    bridgetLipsMine.jpg
    622 x 800 - 255K
    BridgetBiancaRendo2.jpg
    400 x 750 - 228K
    BridgetBiancaRendo3.jpg
    400 x 750 - 229K
    BridgetBiancaRendo4.jpg
    400 x 750 - 253K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • So to make sure I'm understanding this correctly....

The zip from Rendo extracted to a bunch of "loose" folders named data, people, runtime, etc.  The directory on your drive you have your stuff in is called Daz and contains folder paths called Daz > Content, Daz > data, Daz > People, Daz > Runtime, etc.

Why did you put them under Daz > Content > data, etc. instead of placing them in the corresponding Daz > data (etc.) folders?  Did they only work when you did one but not the other?

The reason I ask is because sometimes if you have multiple nested data / people folders you can run into some strange behavior.

edited February 2016

So to make sure I'm understanding this correctly....

Saba Taru said:

The zip from Rendo extracted to a bunch of "loose" folders named data, people, runtime, etc.  The directory on your drive you have your stuff in is called Daz and contains folder paths called Daz > Content, Daz > data, Daz > People, Daz > Runtime, etc.

Why did you put them under Daz > Content > data, etc. instead of placing them in the corresponding Daz > data (etc.) folders?  Did they only work when you did one but not the other?

The reason I ask is because sometimes if you have multiple nested data / people folders you can run into some strange behavior.

Right on everything. I have NEVER messed with file structure, the studio is setup with those 1 - 5 main folders. When I put the files simply under Data instead of Content>Data  etc (same for People, Runtime)  they didn't show up. I had the studio closed when I was working on adding the files, and I hit Refresh down every section (Daz Studio Formats refreshed, and Genesis 2 refreshed, etc.)  This is 4.8 btw.  I've got quite a bit of Rendo and several characters, not had problems. (Aka, did Maria a few pages back, and Odelle.)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2016

I checked, and P3D Maria indeed goes Content> then the files. That's the one that gave me the idea to try Content with the others. 

Sabby Bridget, when I click on the zip and extract, the first file (there's 3) goes 

Data   (which goes DAZ 3D > Genesis 2 > Female >Morphs > Sabby>Bridget)

Documentation

People   (goes Genesis 2 Female > Characters > Sabby > Bridget)

Edit:  2nd file has Documentation and

Runtime > textures > Sabby > Bridget

3rd file is for Victoria 4, the first are for Genesis 2.

Runtime > Libraries >Morphs

Runtime > Libraries >Pose

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2016

So I'm wondering, if they work by putting them in Content, is there any reason why I can't do it that way? EDIT: That's where all the other Genesis 2 Female characters are, they are in Content>People>Genesis 2 Female>Characters. I didn't put them there, that's where DAZ Vendors put them (that show up in Content Library, in the Daz Studio Format section, which is what I use.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2016
    Novica said:

I checked, and P3D Maria indeed goes Content> then the files. That's the one that gave me the idea to try Content with the others. 

Sabby Bridget, when I click on the zip and extract, the first file (there's 3) goes 

Data   (which goes DAZ 3D > Genesis 2 > Female >Morphs > Sabby>Bridget)

Documentation

People   (goes Genesis 2 Female > Characters > Sabby > Bridget)

I'll look here in a second, I may have one of them. P3D Maria, and Sabby Bridget sound very familiar.

Over all I've just let the stuff 'fall in place' wherever it is supposed to be, after digging past the 'My Content' folder from the zip.

Some stuff was never made for Studio, and the directory stuff is very different. I have been very carful not to get anything that dose not say Studio for supported stuff.

If the zip has no 'My Content' folder in it with stuff in there, it may possibly be poser only as well. That would be I'm guessing the 'Runtime' folder in the My Content folder (looking for PZ or PS files with no DUF files is probably a good first step). Studio I don't think will show DSF files in the Poser content paths, and the same for PS files in th studio folders.

edited February 2016

These are both for the studio, I'm not smart enough to want to tackle anything that isn't made for it lol. Product number is 108501

Post edited by Novica on

I did the P3D Maria which may be why she was familiar? But that was the one that when clicked, indeed had Content clearly designated as the first step. Is for Gen3F. These are both Gen2F but shouldn't make a difference. 

edited February 2016

I have Sandra, not Maria. And your right. It's just the Data, People, and Runtime folders. I just copied them straght over to the 'My Content folder (I have my content on drive 'Y' by the way, not the 'C' boot drive).

I know this may look a litle confusing, it is not that complex, Asuming the folders in that ZIP are for Studio (Some figures have two zips. One for Studio, the other for Studio. And sometimes both are needed). Sandra only needed the Studio zip for me (I don't have Poser).

Here I just hilighted and copied the contents of the Zip (right side), directly into 'My Library' folder on the left. Sandra is realy nice by the way.

P3D_Install_002lbl1.png
    1187 x 339 - 50K
    edited February 2016

You mean one for Studio the other for Poser? 

I'm going to try another one. Here's the default for Diamond. Note none of them go Content>whatever.

folderDiamong.jpg
    781 x 873 - 910K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2016

Is the next file path from My Library> Content? Edit: I'm looking at this page and it shows the C: default setup which goes blah blah  DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library.  

All I have is D://Daz then those folders as shown (1-5) with everything tucked in them. So telling me to pull over into My Library won't answer my questions unfortunately. Can you look to see where your files went- are they under Content>whatever or only under whatever? It looks like it is not under content, based on the screenshot.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

I did the P3D Maria which may be why she was familiar? But that was the one that when clicked, indeed had Content clearly designated as the first step. Is for Gen3F. These are both Gen2F but shouldn't make a difference. 

lol, understood. I may also be thinking of Digital Touch Maria here at Daz, tho "P3D Maria" over at renderosity is indeed in my wish list, hmmm.

Sabby, I have Irina, Carlene, Reagan, Lystra, Summer for Dolly, SASE Kahina, etc. I don't have Bridget, I thought I did. I may be thinking of a different Bridget.

In any case, All the Sabby figures I got from over there, all have a 'My Library' folder inside a 'Content' folder inside the zip. Some have a 'Poser CF' zip as well (I'm not sure what it is, I just copy the stuff in 'Runtime' into my library's Runtime folder).

I really didn't examine the contents of the folders all that much, I just pored them into the corresponding folder in my library. Data goes into Data, People goes into People, Runtime goes into Runtime, etc. Simple highlight all, and drag it over to 'My Library'.

edited February 2016

Ah, but see- you said they hae the My Library folder INSIDE THE CONTENT FOLDER. I'm trying Diamond right now, without putting the files in Content. Will report back in a few, I am expecting failure.

Post edited by Novica on

BTW, if you go over to Sabby's store, her free section has free mats for some of her characters (like glitter for the eyes) and Cortney is a free Genesis gal. So is Dixie. Haven't tried either of them yet, they appeared to be free characters but I haven't opened the files yet. Bogged down, as you can see. After 9 hours of messing with these, I was seeing file hierarchies floating in front of my eyes even when I went to the kitchen to get my dinner!  

From Rendo, some of the ones I have are Sabby: Mayda, EmmaLee, Topaz, Elodie, Bridget, Diamond, Dottie for Dolly, Kaylie and Kyleigh for Dolly, Summer, Suzanne, Cynthia. For SASE it's Bianc, Kahina, Naisa, Siblings Ellie and Everly.  SV7 wings in with Annie, Evan, Marna.  Those were all on sale at a ridiculous price awhile ago. I was a Prime Member, don't know if it was a special sale for Prime, or if the stores were on sale, but Sabby, SASE, and SV7 are my go-to for character skins and even the characters as they're easy to morph. 

Nope, Diamond didn't show up, when putting them outside of Content. Okay, removing and putting under Content>whatever. Back in a little bit, taking a short break.

edited February 2016
    Novica said:

BTW, if you go over to Sabby's store, her free section has free mats for some of her characters (like glitter for the eyes) and Cortney is a free Genesis gal. So is Dixie. Haven't tried either of them yet, they appeared to be free characters but I haven't opened the files yet. Bogged down, as you can see. After 9 hours of messing with these, I was seeing file hierarchies floating in front of my eyes even when I went to the kitchen to get my dinner!  

From Rendo, some of the ones I have are Sabby: Mayda, EmmaLee, Topaz, Elodie, Bridget, Diamond, Dottie for Dolly, Kaylie and Kyleigh for Dolly, Summer, Suzanne, Cynthia. For SASE it's Bianc, Kahina, Naisa, Siblings Ellie and Everly.  SV7 wings in with Annie, Evan, Marna.  Those were all on sale at a ridiculous price awhile ago. I was a Prime Member, don't know if it was a special sale for Prime, or if the stores were on sale, but Sabby, SASE, and SV7 are my go-to for character skins and even the characters as they're easy to morph. 

Same, except the prime part. I got distracted mid post before. I labeled that screen cap some, to hopefully help some.

I'll guess your 'Daz' over on 'D' is your equivalent of 'My Library'? Hierarchy shouldn't mater as much as your looking at it, as long as the 'Relative path' in the DUF points to the correct path that was in the ZIP. Runtime/textures/Sabby is Runtime/textures/Sabby regardless of where the "My Library" folder above Runtime is kind of thing.

Folder trees is going a bit far. If you have two file managers open (one for My Library, and the other in the Zip), it is just a matter of selecting the data folder in the zip and dragging it over to the other window showing your 'My Library'. You need not create each folder inside each folder, if that's what your doing.

edited February 2016
    Novica said:

Nope, Diamond didn't show up, when putting them outside of Content. Okay, removing and putting under Content>whatever. Back in a little bit, taking a short break.

no, no, no. Content is not a real folder in 'My Library'. It is just there too let you know what in the zip needs to be added to your 'My Library'. Go into the Content folder. There should be a 'My Library folder' in that. inside the 'My Library' folder should be a 'Data', People, and a Runtime folder. it's the 'Data', People, and a Runtime folders that need to be copied into your 'My Library'.

edited February 2016

OK. I just went and downloaded the Dixie zip (right most window), and I extracted the zip (My computer opens a new window showing the contents of the extracted zip in the middle of the screen-cap)

I highlight the folders (Data, People, and Runtime) and copy it to 'My Library' in the left window.

I get asked about copying folders over to where the already exist, just click yes, just-do-it, whatever, lol.

and there we go. When I open Studio and go into the content library, under People should be a genesis path that eventually gets to Sabby Dixie.

(EDIT)

If your hoping for this stuff to show up in the smart tab, it wont. Almost nothing I got from other places (Renderosity, ShareCG, and not all that useful TurboSquid) has metadata. Most PAs don't know how to make that electron-voodoo stuff, nor do I. If I new how to, I would have done it already for my free stuff.

(EDIT2) One other thing. Is that 'D/daz' path in Studio's path setup thing? (FYI, I have mey stuff on Drive 'Y', your path before 'My Library' will be different).

SabbyDixie_Install_001.png
    1469 x 689 - 50K
    SabbyDixie_Install_2001.png
    486 x 501 - 26K
    SabbyDixie_Install_3001.png
    1491 x 696 - 51K
    SabbyDixie_Install_4001.png
    1061 x 617 - 306K
    IsThePathsCorect_001.png
    917 x 413 - 28K
    edited February 2016
    Novica said:

no, no, no. Content is not a real folder in 'My Library'. It is just there too let you know what in the zip needs to be added to your 'My Library'. Go into the Content folder. There should be a 'My Library folder' in that. inside the 'My Library' folder should be a 'Data', People, and a Runtime folder. it's the 'Data', People, and a Runtime folders that need to be copied into your 'My Library'.

No, am not creating a folder inside a folder. Very careful that a Sabby folder is not inside a Sabby folder. And I don't use Smart Content at all. I use the  Content Library- Daz Studio Format>Daz>etc to locate my products, it's very easy.

Second, this post showed what it looks like when I open my D>Daz. It has those main files, and Content IS a separate one. I do not have My Library. (And with thousands of products installed they all install correctly. (Yes, the path is set up correctly in studio.) 

Then when I click on Content, I have this. So I have all those categories under Content too. (the 1-5)  You can see "Data." There's People and Runtime too (not shown.) 

folders.jpg
    444 x 485 - 666K
    folders2.jpg
    281 x 803 - 797K
    Post edited by Novica on

DIM installs to D>Daz>Content. The studio Content Directory Manager in the studio also has that path. So putting these in Content>whatever is working. 

edited February 2016
    Novica said:
    Novica said:

No, am not creating a folder inside a folder. Very careful that a Sabby folder is not inside a Sabby folder. And I don't use Smart Content at all. I use the  Content Library- Daz Studio Format>Daz>etc to locate my products, it's very easy.

Second, this post showed what it looks like when I open my D>Daz. It has those main files, and Content IS a separate one. I do not have My Library. (And with thousands of products installed they all install correctly. (Yes, the path is set up correctly in studio.) 

Then when I click on Content, I have this. So I have all those categories under Content too. (the 1-5)  You can see "Data." There's People and Runtime too (not shown.) 

That last screen cap looks like a big mess.  It's OK that your equivalent of 'My Library' is 'daz'. I just tested that by adding a 'My LibraryT' path to my runtime. Let me see if there is a 'Content' folder in the DIM side of my runtime, tho I'm sure it is not supposed to be there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, there should only be one 'data' folder, and that's at the top of your 'daz' path (my 'My Library').

Nope, there is no such thing as a 'Content' folder in the DIM side of things either. Where did that come from?

(EDIT) that lips being off thing, again may be render filtering or lighting. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Mina for Arabella7 did not have as much of a pointy chin as is shown in some of the promos.

My_DIM_contentRootFolder_001.png
    689 x 564 - 30K
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Hmmmm. I thought you should have either Content OR My Library. I was under the impression that "content" was actually an older way of installing. 

ALL my content (digital products) are on an external drive called F. The program itself is installed in C drive on my ssd. 

My installed products go straight to My Library and my DIM and DS are pointing to My Library. 

So it goes F:My Library.

And in My Libray are Data, people, runtime etc etc. 

edited February 2016
    jakiblue said:

Hmmmm. I thought you should have either Content OR My Library. I was under the impression that "content" was actually an older way of installing. 

ALL my content (digital products) are on an external drive called F. The program itself is installed in C drive on my ssd. 

My installed products go straight to My Library and my DIM and DS are pointing to My Library. 

So it goes F:My Library.

And in My Libray are Data, people, runtime etc etc. 

That sounds about right. tho the two things I tossed into a third path ending with "My LibraryT" appear to function fine there. So the name of the 'root' content folder doesn't mater that much, as long as the Data, People, and Runtime folders is just inside it.

I'm also vaguely remembering (my memory is not all that good these days), something about 'Encrypted' content ending up in a off the wall folder. Hence the 'Where did that Content folder come from'.

edited February 2016

Rating: Recommend All

This is Diamond (Rendo 109752) with Sparkle Hair. (no Iray shaders.)  Wearing 50's Glam which suits her! (And she knows someone was trying to help her navigate through the file structures, lol)  I adjusted the mouth, otherwise she is out of the box.  (She reminds me of "Morgan." I drew her for one of the RRRR contests.)

DiamondRendoMyLipsZ.jpg
    622 x 800 - 355K
    Post edited by Novica on

I don't know where Content came from but P3D Maria has it too so apparently it was the way things were set up at one time. I didn't do anything on my own, the forum folks were talking me through it because I didn't want to have my stuff on C and had to be sure it was okay. I'm not saying this is anyone's directive to do it this way, but I'm saying I did have help and did what I was told. Since a vendor has it setup Content> whatever, there has to be a reason I have that too. 

I'm wondering if I should tuck all that stuff that is outside of Content, inside Content, since that is the same as My Library apparently. Everything works fine so I'm not sure I want to screw anything up. 

• Novica said:

I don't know where Content came from but P3D Maria has it too so apparently it was the way things were set up at one time. I didn't do anything on my own, the forum folks were talking me through it because I didn't want to have my stuff on C and had to be sure it was okay. I'm not saying this is anyone's directive to do it this way, but I'm saying I did have help and did what I was told. Since a vendor has it setup Content> whatever, there has to be a reason I have that too. 

I'm wondering if I should tuck all that stuff that is outside of Content, inside Content, since that is the same as My Library apparently. Everything works fine so I'm not sure I want to screw anything up. 

If it works, don't fix it. And my other questions may just be over analyzing things. I had a zip from somewhere that did have a 'content' folder in it, and I haven't found it yet. All the others either have the three folders (data, people, runtime) right there, or in a 'My Library' folder in the zip. In any case, it works, that's more important.

Diamond looks very nice in that render. I never thought to look at the 'Free' thing over at Renderosity, thanks.

Yeah, go to her store and click on Sabby Topaz (it says freebie inside) and that's the way I found the free page. There may be another way.

This discussion has been closed.