NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I don't know how I missed these- what a laugh! 

Bot Racing and You Bots Play Nice by First Bastion are a RIOT!

• Oh sounds interesting with a book. Hope it turns out great for you. (I'm sure it will ) 

BTW I was just kidding about the PDF, copy/paste works great, and just in case that get lost , I've made a note on which page to find your guide on for future reference. 

I think I spend more time reading about DAZ Studio than actually working in it at the moment. Trying to learn  and pick up as much info and tips  as I can since I'm new .

In the Iray Skin thread over in commons,  Khory mentioned all the new characters are going to be adjusted to work with 4.9 (more blue less ruddy if I recall) so if I understand this right, those of us in 4.8 will have to tweak new characters. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

Novica was kind enough to post some great backdrops. Here are a few more.

I like to add a light space around the center, or other color to draw the eye in to the main character. They are free to use commercially with no attribution required.

gradient-9.jpg
    800 x 900 - 87K
    gradient-19.jpg
    800 x 900 - 89K
    gradient-12.jpg
    800 x 900 - 94K
    gradient-20.jpg
    800 x 900 - 78K
    gradient-27.jpg
    800 x 900 - 83K

Thank you SereneNight, I know I'm going to use them!  Anyone else with backgrounds feel free to share, as long as others can use them!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    Novica said:

I will be doing a tutorial shortly on the basics of using Iray for a character wearing light clothing. 

This looks really good! I'll have to try it out when I get a chance. I run a juried art show each year and it's coming up this Saturday, so I've had no time to do any rendering as all my spare time is spent getting final preparations complete. But Sunday I'll be free to play.

Novica was kind enough to post some great backdrops. Here are a few more. Nicew to have a variety of colors and styles.

Thanks SereneNight! I find these simple images great for quick backdrops.

They look good I think. I'm quite fond of number 12.

• Novica, I really enjoyed your tutorial.  There were a few things in there I hadn't learned, yet, so that is always a good thing.

Novica said:

I can't believe the promo art for this product.  The face / nose is dented or the lighting makes it look that way. Look at the second thumbnail, first row, the one on the right. (Even the first one on the next row has a dent.) Then look at the third thumbnail, first image- that looks really dimpled, or the lighting is distorting things quite a bit. If anyone gets this, would you test it and let us know if it's really as dented as it looks?

I'm in the process of doing test renders for each of these for my files.  I've tested all of them out and, in the DS workspace, they look fiine, no divuts anywhere.  I'm guessing the divuts are appearing from bad promos and bad lighting.  I have to agree they do look pretty gruesome.  So far, the first two headshots I've rendered out look fine with nothing weird or strange going on.  I have the model setup with some base lighting and no expression looking straight into the camera.  I'm also going to do side shots.  The only thing I did to the model was lower the eyelids just a touch so the eyes weren't doing that weird 3D model fake human look thing that they do when there is no expression.  I'll let you know how it goes with the others once they are done rendering.  I can post images if you want when I'm done so you can see what it looks like with some decent Iray lighting.

edited February 2016

Novica, I really enjoyed your tutorial.  There were a few things in there I hadn't learned, yet, so that is always a good thing.

Novica said:

I'm in the process of doing test renders for each of these for my files.  I've tested all of them out and, in the DS workspace, they look fiine, no divuts anywhere.  I'm guessing the divuts are appearing from bad promos and bad lighting. .  I'll let you know how it goes with the others once they are done rendering.  I can post images if you want when I'm done so you can see what it looks like with some decent Iray lighting.

Thank you!

Yes please, render some if you get time.

BTW for your Platinum Club folks who aren't reading through the Encrypted thread, the Toll Booth is NOT encrypted now because members did not appreciate getting deprived of their promised freebie without it being non-encrypted. As per this post. (Even though it's the correct link, it keeps going to the bottom of the page. If it does that to you, scroll up and you'll see Richard's post.) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Novica said:

BTW for your Platinum Club folks who aren't reading through the Encrypted thread, the Toll Booth is NOT encrypted now because members did not appreciate getting deprived of their promised freebie without it being non-encrypted. As per this post. (Even though it's the correct link, it keeps going to the bottom of the page. If it does that to you, scroll up and you'll see Richard's post.) 

Incorrect, it was not supposed to be encrypted in the first place.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2016
    Novica said:

Agree with Mike, did you read the post you linked to it said

Jack and I have just spoken to Daz management. This was a case of wires getting crossed, there was absolutely no intention to deprive PC+ members of their promised benefits so the product will be fixed to work as a standard download. There may well, in future, be special Connect-only encrypted freebies but they will not be the PC+ monthly or weekly freebies.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited February 2016

Novica, here are the first two renders.  Heads 2 and 4 which were two of the somewhat troubling of the renders on the promos pages.  I had to play with my settings to get everything setup for test renders so the second one is a little grainier than I wanted and the first one took forever to render out.  I think I have the proper settings figured out for running a decent test render now, though.  The other really noticeably bad one, Head 5 is rendering now, the other really terrible looking nose.  Then I'll be working on side shots.  Let me know if you want me to upload those as well.  A note to anyone using the IDG Portrait Studio, if you want to change the camera view port settings, you need to actually go into camera to change the settings if you are using the camera provided with the package.  You have no idea how many renders I tried to do with this, all the time changing the size in the Render Settings before I finally figured to check what the settings on the camera were.  I love this package and I've used it a number of times, but never had to dial down the render size.  Which when you want to do a really quick and dirty render to check out noses, you really don't need a rendered image at around 1200 px. It is superb for rendering those portrait shots, though, I have to admit to not using it for it's optimum potential with these test shots.

At any rate,  I haven't seen any dimples or divots and any of the noses on the Versatile Morphs for Genesis 3 Female which is a good thing.  I can't imagine why they chose that lighting.  It did absolutely nothing for the figure and, in the end, it might actually hurt sales.

VersatileMorphsHead02.jpg
    500 x 647 - 98K
    VersatileMorphsHead04.jpg
    500 x 647 - 314K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Both look great in your renders.. so weird..

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited February 2016

That dose look very good Knittingmommy. I have yet to install anything from the order that was in, tho from my own fumbling in 3delight, it looked like lighting, or horrendous filter settings (Unless it is supposed to look like pastel art).

Honestly I thought it looked a tad more real then some of the other perfectly smooth skin stuff around. Probably looks very good at lesser then full dial values was my thought. Seeing your renders, I'm now a tad hesitant regarding some of the faces that I thought looked good in pastel art form.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited February 2016
    Novica said:

No, it is correct- what I was referring to was the PC Members raised hell about it and because of that, and putting the focus on it, the issue was raised and the inquiry was made. Daz did the right thing and admitted their mistake but the fact I referred to was the PC members are the ones who brought about the quick change. I can easily see where the statement can be read the way you interpreted it too. (that PC convinced them to change it and it was intended to be encrypted all along.)  

Post edited by Novica on

Knittingmommy- they should use your promos, lol. It doesn't even look like the same product! We don't have to have the side shots, these get the point across very nicely. Appreciate it very much!  

Tip:In the forums,  when you load your image, consider making the height 575 that way the entire image can be seen without scrolling on most screens safely. I do widths about 600-700 if they are the greated number, keeping an eye on the height. 

Wow, you have a small monitor, Novica

edited February 2016

Recommended size for the forum display is 800 width.  If larger images are scaled to that when entering the image link, then it should suit most people.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Chohole said:

Recommended size for the forum display is 800 width.  If larger images are scaled to that when entering the image link, then it should suit most people.

Because I do tend to have windows side by side on my monitors, I've been going with 600 max width recently, tho point taken. As for height, I've mostly been going with what looks good without splitting up paragraphs to much, and using a lot of judgment calls so long as it dose not exceed 600 width.

Some cell phones have 'moderate' resolution, tho they still tend to be small on the size side of things for looking at forums like this (a lot of squinting involved with some smaller phones as well, lol).

edited February 2016

LOL, My monitor is large.  But many people use laptops, (including me up to recently, the past three years) so 575 worked best on the laptop with 600-700 width. On my cellphone (which is an iPhone 6 Plus, the large one) it looked good there too. If I had a scene that was horizontal I would go 800 but otherwise I go smaller because of the laptop folks. It's easy for people to click it and it enlarges, whereas if it's larger they can't shrink it. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2016
    Novica said:

LOL, My monitor is large.  But many people use laptops, (including me up to recently, the past three years) so 575 worked best on the laptop with 600-700 width. On my cellphone (which is an iPhone 6 Plus, the large one) it looked good there too. If I had a scene that was horizontal I would go 800 but otherwise I go smaller because of the laptop folks. It's easy for people to click it and it enlarges, whereas if it's larger they can't shrink it. 

Yes you can, you click on it and it gets shrunk..

Small.jpg
    368 x 552 - 79K
    Post edited by Fisty on
  • Fisty said:
    Novica said:

Yes you can, you click on it and it gets shrunk..

That depends on the browser, some don't allow that when it is a pic imbedded in a web page. Most do allow shrinking the image when it is viewed without a web page wrapping it (and again, some don't. like 'Voyager' in QNX.).

edited February 2016

I much prefer the way the old website worked. The new one distorts images imbedded in posts until I click on them.

Post edited by Serene Night on

I much prefer the way the old website worked. The new one distorts images imbedded in posts until I click on them.

Only if they are not resized as I showed, when the image link is added. 

I always put the image size, and an image link. When I click on the images in the posts, it doesn't shrink them, it opens the new window (which I always do when I set up the image in the post.) How are you getting them to shrink?

• Novica said:

Knittingmommy- they should use your promos, lol. It doesn't even look like the same product! We don't have to have the side shots, these get the point across very nicely. Appreciate it very much!  

Tip:In the forums,  when you load your image, consider making the height 575 that way the entire image can be seen without scrolling on most screens safely. I do widths about 600-700 if they are the greated number, keeping an eye on the height. 

Good to know.  I usually try to watch the width one because I've seen Chohole's notice so much the 800 just automatically sticks in my head so when I rendered these I kept it at 500 by 647 px in the width because as test shots they really didn't need to be much bigger than that and 500 was an easy number to stick in the camera settings so I didn't even think about adjusting size when I uploaded these.  I think the main problem is that I put the two pictures together side by side on the webpage when I added them in page and it would be better if they were one below the other.  Going to fix that now.

Thanks to everyone else for the nice complements on the renders, although I have to admit, I didn't really have to do much to set it up.  Portrait Studio did all of the hard work.  I just clicked on the preset I liked best and thought would show off the figure at it's best.  It is a shame the promos weren't that good because the morphs are actually quite lovely.

edited February 2016

This is the Gribeauval12 cannon rendered in Iray without UberBase/any changes. It also has a few props with it. (A coffer, cannonball, etc)  Wanted to mention the background, it's one of Ron's Backgrounds  but with a frosted gray over it. The backgrounds are very intense and you can adjust them so your main items stand out more. There's a great variety.  The cannon itself has more detail than shown, you'd have to mess with midtones to bring those out (or add a spotlight.)  I think with Iray wood shaders and grunged-up metal this would be quite fun, but it doesn't do half bad in Iray as-is.

Poser Formats>Daz>Figures>3djoji>Military

Gribeauval12 cannon.jpg
    900 x 900 - 638K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • I think I have the pictures set up the way you wanted, Novica, and now they go to the larger image when clicked on.  I don't have a smaller screen to view this on so let me know if it looks better.  I can't check on my phone because it acts up when I web surf.  I really need a new one.  Let me know if I need to change anything.

edited February 2016

Whatever you did is fine wink

Here's ToyTrain (note, one word. If you try two words, it won't come up in Product Library.) I'm cranking these out as I a catalog, not doing anything fancy (like putting the train together, you can see that on the Product Page.) 

And for fun, here's inside the tunnel. Question- this is one surface area, I went to Surfaces to increase the bump (it didn't matter if everything got increased because we're only looking at one area.) If there's nothing in the bump strength (it says choose map), the bump (neg and positive) won't do anything when changed, right? It didn't appear to. 

There's two views of the tunnel, one as is, the second with Sharpened applied (Corel Photo Paint, introduces noise if high amount, which can also look like grit.) I put a spotlight on the tunnel so you'd see it better. Not half bad as a toon wall! 

toytrain.jpg
    900 x 700 - 473K
    toytrain2.jpg
    600 x 900 - 480K
    toytrain2sharpened.jpg
    600 x 900 - 697K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Novica said:

And for fun, here's inside the tunnel. Question- this is one surface area, I went to Surfaces to increase the bump (it didn't matter if everything got increased because we're only looking at one area.) If there's nothing in the bump strength (it says choose map), the bump (neg and positive) won't do anything when changed, right? It didn't appear to. 

Correct.

What you can do (for a quick and dirty fix) is plug in the texture map into the bump channel and then use bump.

It's not great (and if a bought product uses this trick or just a desaturated texture map as bump map, I am miffed), but it works.

This discussion has been closed.