My Lease Is Nearly Up On The Complaint Thread

Comments

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

I woke up too early to rise and too late to go back to sleep. Don't you hate when that happens?angry

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited August 2016
    Tjohn said:
    Jan19 said:
    Tjohn said:

Georgians I've heard through the years Inatchul born Tennessean here) make it sound like Joe-juh. (shrug)

No, sir, that would be George-ah. smiley​  Yes, I am a native.  And actually quite proud of it.

Our accent is not easy to mimic.

All this talk about Georgia made me want to hear this again.

OK, I see.  Yes, the old-timers had interesting speech variations.  I seem to remember my Grandaddy saying "George-ey."

I wish you all could've met my Grandaddy. laugh​  He was somethin' else.  And, btw, the "g" is not always dropped down here.  The "g" is most definitely  pronounced on "anything," but not "somethin'."

It drives me batty when I hear an actor say "anythin'." 

But even the coastal radio sales personnel, who do like to ham it all up, say George-ah. :-)

Good morning, everybody. 

Edit:  Mr. Charles is saying "Geor-gah."  I can hear the "r," but you folks probably can't. wink

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Tjohn said:

I woke up too early to rise and too late to go back to sleep. Don't you hate when that happens?angry

YAHhh

almost reviving with a venti cappauccino

kyoto kid said:

...fortunately I have an air conditioner or it would be intolerable since my room gets sun most of the day.

Gonna be a scorcher here tomorrow..

Ayy Ceee  - 2 favorite letters right now

ps1borg said:
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:

wuh ohs http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/huntington-ny/11743/weather-warnings-1644343/4289_pc

Excessive Heat Watch

Excessive Heat Watch in effect from Saturday, 8:00 AM EDT until Sunday, 10:00 PM EDT. Source: U.S. National Weather Service

hotel across the street haz ice cream machine 

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM EDT SATURDAY...
    ...EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH
    SUNDAY EVENING...

IMPACTS...THE COMBINATION OF THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY WILL
    INCREASE THE RISK FOR HEAT RELATED HEALTH ISSUES...ESPECIALLY
    FOR THE ELDERLY...THOSE WITH CHRONIC HEALTH PROBLEMS SUCH AS
    LUNG AND HEART DISEASE...THOSE WORKING OUTDOORS...AND OTHER
    HEAT SENSITIVE GROUPS OF PEOPLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HEAT ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN THE COMBINATION OF HEAT AND
    HUMIDITY IS EXPECTED TO MAKE IT FEEL LIKE IT IS 100 TO 104 DEGREES
    FOR TWO CONSECUTIVE HOURS.

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH MEANS THAT THE COMBINATION OF HEAT AND
    HUMIDITY COULD CREATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT
    ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS IF YOU WORK OR
    SPEND TIME OUTSIDE. WHEN POSSIBLE...RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS
    ACTIVITIES TO EARLY MORNING OR EVENING. KNOW THE SIGNS AND
    SYMPTOMS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT STROKE. WEAR LIGHT WEIGHT AND
    LOOSE FITTING CLOTHING WHEN POSSIBLE AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.

SENIORS AND THOSE WITH CHRONIC HEALTH PROBLEMS OR MENTAL HEALTH
    CONDITIONS ARE AT AN INCREASED RISK. HOMES WITHOUT AIR
    CONDITIONING CAN BE MUCH HOTTER THAN OUTDOOR TEMPERATURES.

USE AIR CONDITIONING TO STAY COOL AT HOME OR GO TO A PLACE THAT
    HAS AIR CONDITIONING. CHECK ON VULNERABLE FRIENDS...FAMILY
    MEMBERS AND NEIGHBORS.

...we have one of those for today through Caturday.  low 90s today, Mid to upper 90s tommorow, mid 90s Catruday

is good for the daffodils?

• Tjohn said:

New puppy decided 4:50 was get up and play time.  Then she gets to nap when she's worn out again, and I have to get on with my morning. lol

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899

Complaint thread please note that tomorrow is the Glorious Twelfth, at which point we may legally shoot grouse.

Funny story about Grouse:  When I was a kid my dad and I went on a fishing trip (a rare thing for him to do something with just me).  As we were driving down the gravel road we saw something in the middle of the road way out in front of us.  As we got closer we finally figured out it was a grouse standing in the middle of the road.  It was just standing there contemplating life.  We got closer and closer and it still didn’t move.  Now we were going a pretty good speed (probably about 80km/h) kicking up a good dust storm behind us, so the bird couldn’t have missed that we were barrelling towards it.  We were about 15 feet from it and it looked at the truck… and DUCKED.  Seriously… it hunkered down.  It didn’t run out of the way, fly out of the way, or even throw up a “Please Don’t Kill” me sign… it just ducked.  All we heard as we drove over it was ‘thump thump thump’.  My dad looked in the rearview mirror and I turned to look out the back window.  All there was was dust and feathers.  Now, I’m an animal lover.  In fact, I like animals more than most people I’ve met, but even I, at that young age, couldn’t help but find that so insanely hilarious!!  We laughed all weekend.  Heck, as you can tell, I’m STILL laughing over that incident.

Bottom line…. Grouse are dumb.  And they’re good eating.  Excellent combination!!  laugh

edited August 2016

I hope you all know that grouse give off serious karma, especially when they're killed.  I just Googled.  I know.

Poor grouse.  I won't even kill an annoying cricket or the persistent frog who thinks he belongs in the house. 

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

98° F on my outdoor thermometer... In the shade... 78% humidity if you believe a $40 unit... Feels like 3,000%... I think this is why so many Long Islanders move down south, it cheaper and the damn humidity is the same...

I just went to erase a forum auto saved draft... Found 28 drafts... 25 of which were posted (completed posts, I posted)... One was blank... I never deliberately save drafts, so unless I'm somehow unknowingly saving drafts of posted writings... I don't get it.. then I got signed out... It's too hot for this.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    Stryder87 said:

Complaint thread please note that tomorrow is the Glorious Twelfth, at which point we may legally shoot grouse.

Funny story about Grouse:  When I was a kid my dad and I went on a fishing trip (a rare thing for him to do something with just me).  As we were driving down the gravel road we saw something in the middle of the road way out in front of us.  As we got closer we finally figured out it was a grouse standing in the middle of the road.  It was just standing there contemplating life.  We got closer and closer and it still didn’t move.  Now we were going a pretty good speed (probably about 80km/h) kicking up a good dust storm behind us, so the bird couldn’t have missed that we were barrelling towards it.  We were about 15 feet from it and it looked at the truck… and DUCKED.  Seriously… it hunkered down.  It didn’t run out of the way, fly out of the way, or even throw up a “Please Don’t Kill” me sign… it just ducked.  All we heard as we drove over it was ‘thump thump thump’.  My dad looked in the rearview mirror and I turned to look out the back window.  All there was was dust and feathers.  Now, I’m an animal lover.  In fact, I like animals more than most people I’ve met, but even I, at that young age, couldn’t help but find that so insanely hilarious!!  We laughed all weekend.  Heck, as you can tell, I’m STILL laughing over that incident.

Bottom line…. Grouse are dumb.  And they’re good eating.  Excellent combination!!  laugh

Do other people get the suicide squirrels?  You'll be coming down the road and a squirrel will dart out into the road at the last moment, make it across free and clear and then they dive back under your rear wheels...

It's like: "Damn, I'm sick of being a squirrel...screw this... Aaaaaaaaaah!.... Damn... He missed! Second times a charm... Aaaaaaah, oof!".....  I really can't stand squirrels, mainly the ones on my property, because I'm pretty sure they are all tiny terrorists in training, but squirrels not on my property and not actively trying to destroy my stuff or blow me up,  I harbor no ill will towards... It's probably some stupid predator evasion tactic to run back like they just realized they left the stove on at home, but it happens so often... I hate having to write condolence letters to the squirrel's family too... Very time consuming. 

Even my daughters who love animals have reached the "Ugh... Not again!" point. 

We actually watched a squirrel do the dive under rear wheels thing and miss, then run head first under the front wheels of a pickup in back... Cartoon-like spat... Very gross though, especially since it was on the road in front of our house and I had to clean it up and give it a funeral and all. Seriously we have a squirrel "pet cemetery" way out in the backyard in the creepier part of the woods where nobody really goes... My wife is too superstitious to let me bury them with 300 ft of the house (zombie squirrels?) and the kids insist on burial... I favor, giving them to the raccoons, but nobody gets that whole circle of nature thing.

McGyver said:
    Stryder87 said:

Do other people get the suicide squirrels?  You'll be coming down the road and a squirrel will dart out into the road at the last moment, make it across free and clear and then they dive back under your rear wheels...

It's like: "Damn, I'm sick of being a squirrel...screw this... Aaaaaaaaaah!.... Damn... He missed! Second times a charm... Aaaaaaah, oof!".....  I really can't stand squirrels, mainly the ones on my property, because I'm pretty sure they are all tiny terrorists in training, but squirrels not on my property and not actively trying to destroy my stuff or blow me up,  I harbor no ill will towards... It's probably some stupid predator evasion tactic to run back like they just realized they left the stove on at home, but it happens so often... I hate having to write condolence letters to the squirrel's family too... Very time consuming. 

We actually watched a squirrel do the dive under rear wheels thing and miss, then run head first under the front wheels of a pickup in back... Cartoon-like spat... Very gross though, especially since it was on the road in front of our house and I had to clean it up and give it a funeral and all. Seriously we have a squirrel "pet cemetery" way out in the backyard in the creepier part of the woods where nobody really goes... My wife is too superstitious to let me bury them with 300 ft of the house (zombie squirrels?) and the kids insist on burial... I favor, giving them to the raccoons, but nobody gets that whole circle of nature thing.

the nuts are always nuttier on the other side.

squirrels high fiving

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702

I don't have dogs. I don't have cats. yet my back garden is full of cat poo. angry

I don't have dogs or cats either.   My yard has no poop in it to my knowledge but my aquariums have fish poop in them.  Wait it is the same fish who beg in a fishy way for fish food that are the cause of the fish poo.  

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    McGyver said:
    Stryder87 said:

Suicide squirrels are very common here in the southern USA.  We think there may have been interbreeding with the oppossum.  The southern US oppossum has an interesting life-cycle.  They are born, live in the trees and forest areas for most of their early lives, find a mate, and as soon as they have reproduced successfully, instantly teleport to 20 feet in front of an oncoming vehicle.  I'm sure that mother nature has a reason for this, but science hasn't figured it out what it is yet.

Suicide squirrels seem to be attempting to duplicate this behavior on an instictive level, than a purely biological level.  They can't teleport the same way, so they wait at the side of the road, fascinated by the passing vehicles.  When the instinctive push grows too strong, they dash out suddenly and reflexively....and with nigh-preternatural timing.  You can see it in the expression on their faces just before they get hit.  "Why on earth did I do that?"  That's the oppossum genes overriding normal squirrel behavior.

I'm relatively certain a university somewhere is running a research project concerning this, but I can't think of which one at the moment.  I'm sure the government is funding it, as they have always had an unusual interest in squirrels.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

Press to play.

edited August 2016

There's some mighty weird vibes on this here forum. 

Suicide squirrels?  Teleporting possums?  Big Brother watching both?

I need to go listen to some music by that Irish kid.  Excuse me, I meant to say young 'un.

Now, the forum froze.  I swear, there is a disturbance in the force.

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. Bright sun like lemon butter spread across street and tower and bare branched treetop leaving us a little blinky and reaching for the sunglasses  after such a dark, windswept and stormy few days :)

MistyMist said:
    ps1borg said:
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:

wuh ohs http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/huntington-ny/11743/weather-warnings-1644343/4289_pc

Excessive Heat Watch

Excessive Heat Watch in effect from Saturday, 8:00 AM EDT until Sunday, 10:00 PM EDT. Source: U.S. National Weather Service

hotel across the street haz ice cream machine 

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM EDT SATURDAY...
    ...EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH
    SUNDAY EVENING...

IMPACTS...THE COMBINATION OF THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY WILL
    INCREASE THE RISK FOR HEAT RELATED HEALTH ISSUES...ESPECIALLY
    FOR THE ELDERLY...THOSE WITH CHRONIC HEALTH PROBLEMS SUCH AS
    LUNG AND HEART DISEASE...THOSE WORKING OUTDOORS...AND OTHER
    HEAT SENSITIVE GROUPS OF PEOPLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HEAT ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN THE COMBINATION OF HEAT AND
    HUMIDITY IS EXPECTED TO MAKE IT FEEL LIKE IT IS 100 TO 104 DEGREES
    FOR TWO CONSECUTIVE HOURS.

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH MEANS THAT THE COMBINATION OF HEAT AND
    HUMIDITY COULD CREATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT
    ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS IF YOU WORK OR
    SPEND TIME OUTSIDE. WHEN POSSIBLE...RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS
    ACTIVITIES TO EARLY MORNING OR EVENING. KNOW THE SIGNS AND
    SYMPTOMS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT STROKE. WEAR LIGHT WEIGHT AND
    LOOSE FITTING CLOTHING WHEN POSSIBLE AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.

SENIORS AND THOSE WITH CHRONIC HEALTH PROBLEMS OR MENTAL HEALTH
    CONDITIONS ARE AT AN INCREASED RISK. HOMES WITHOUT AIR
    CONDITIONING CAN BE MUCH HOTTER THAN OUTDOOR TEMPERATURES.

USE AIR CONDITIONING TO STAY COOL AT HOME OR GO TO A PLACE THAT
    HAS AIR CONDITIONING. CHECK ON VULNERABLE FRIENDS...FAMILY
    MEMBERS AND NEIGHBORS.

...we have one of those for today through Caturday.  low 90s today, Mid to upper 90s tommorow, mid 90s Catruday

is good for the daffodils?

THink the daffodils kept their heads down along with everyone else, we're having the coldest winter for a generation or two brrrrrrrrrrrrr :)

Tjohn said:

Usually hum the gummy bear song if the dark really closes in :0

Hey, ps1borg.  Glad you survived the storm.  smiley 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    Tjohn said:

....yes.

MistyMist said:
    Tjohn said:

YAHhh

almost reviving with a venti cappauccino

...you mean a "Large" cappucino? Apologies but I love to mess with Starbucks and their pseudo-Italiano words.

MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:

...fortunately I have an air conditioner or it would be intolerable since my room gets sun most of the day.

Gonna be a scorcher here tomorrow..

Ayy Ceee  - 2 favorite letters right now

...was 106° in the 'hood, 98° at the airport on the Columbia River.

Had to run errands in town, meet with my Social Security attorney so I had to dress up a bit. .  Regretted it after laving the office. Thought I was going to melt in the pavement.

On the way back let three buses go by that were crowded before finally getting on one that had seats. Do not like crowded buses to begin with but really don't want to be on one when it gets this hot. 

MistyMist said:
    McGyver said:
    Stryder87 said:

the nuts are always nuttier on the other side.

squirrels high fiving

...you know, they're really in cahoots with the auto insurance industry betting that you will try to mss them and then crash into something.

Tjohn said:

Press to play.

...we were singing that down at the pub tonight.

hphoenix said:
    McGyver said:
    Stryder87 said:

Suicide squirrels are very common here in the southern USA.  We think there may have been interbreeding with the oppossum.  The southern US oppossum has an interesting life-cycle.  They are born, live in the trees and forest areas for most of their early lives, find a mate, and as soon as they have reproduced successfully, instantly teleport to 20 feet in front of an oncoming vehicle.  I'm sure that mother nature has a reason for this, but science hasn't figured it out what it is yet.

Suicide squirrels seem to be attempting to duplicate this behavior on an instictive level, than a purely biological level.  They can't teleport the same way, so they wait at the side of the road, fascinated by the passing vehicles.  When the instinctive push grows too strong, they dash out suddenly and reflexively....and with nigh-preternatural timing.  You can see it in the expression on their faces just before they get hit.  "Why on earth did I do that?"  That's the oppossum genes overriding normal squirrel behavior.

I'm relatively certain a university somewhere is running a research project concerning this, but I can't think of which one at the moment.  I'm sure the government is funding it, as they have always had an unusual interest in squirrels.

Actually, all that can be summed up in two words.  Rebel Yell. angel

Tjohn said:

Press to play.

OMG.  My brother is home.  I've got to show him this.

How did I not discover that until now?

Whee. :-)

edited August 2016

another thing mispronouncing myy whole life

This is brusKetta, not bruSHHHHetta.

http://www.clementinecuisine.net/bruschetta/?lang=en

i put basil leaf on my brus-ketta, not parsley, yeesh, guess depends on region 
    lemon juice?  whiskey tango, not with tomato!!

thought was italian, seems is french?
    confused naos

my breadmachine doesnt have recipe for baquette
    choice of italian bread or french, or ... herbed italian.  

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited August 2016

omgeee hott
    tomorrow supposedly hotter
    can barely move

was no a/c on the bus yesterday.  dunno how the driver didnt faint.  said his gauge said bus was 95F.  was 91F outside
    raw degrees didnt count the heat index
    i felt dizzy, was wearing very light clothes. he had long pants uniform

hear neighbor upstairs sneezing.  
    prolly from going a/c to hot,
    none of those catching summer cold worries for me  lol

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702

I am doing okay.  Not the mall I work at  but another mall got something happening or happened.  Not sure what but it might revolve around guns or gun fire.

MistyMist said:

omgeee hott
    tomorrow supposedly hotter
    can barely move

was no a/c on the bus yesterday.  dunno how the driver didnt faint.  said his gauge said bus was 95F.  was 91F outside
    raw degrees didnt count the heat index
    i felt dizzy, was wearing very light clothes. he had long pants uniform

hear neighbor upstairs sneezing.  
    prolly from going a/c to hot,
    none of those catching summer cold worries for me  lol

...officially hit 99° at PDX ariport yesterday. 93° currently both there and in the 'hood with about three hours fo go for the hottest part of the day.

This discussion has been closed.