My Lease Is Nearly Up On The Complaint Thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

complaiiiinnnt  fonts on websites

is it mine eyes really really bad?   light grey and orange on a white background?

justmeorimpossibletoread.JPG
    760 x 710 - 49K
    justmeorimpossibletoread2.JPG
    842 x 584 - 55K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,026

Uno dos...one two tres CUATRO!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602
    MistyMist said:

been mispronouncing Missouri my whole life.

dude on tv pronounced   -  Mzz-aura

In the 1950s my great aunts and uncles who were all born in the 1890s and raised in western NY State called the Florida city Miami, "Myamma"  I don't know if it was an 1890s NY dialect or the pronunciation of the city's name by the two sisters who married and moved down to "Myamma" in the 1920s.  I can understand that Southern dialects would say Myamma but would have expected it in the North.  However, the more I think about it, they probably didn't travel back and forth between Miami and Buffalo much in the 1920s or make a lot of phone calls long distance either.  Oh, wait..., I just remembered the third sister who stayed up here telling me the story of how the whole family drove to Florida in the 1920's in a model-T and camped along the way.  The trip took several weeks.  So if they were all down there then they all got indoctrinated to the local pronunciation.  Ah ha! 

Back in the 1920s, the only two communities that could be called cities in the penninsula part of Florida were "Tampa", and "Myamma". devil  Well, there was also Key West but that was in the sea halfway to Cuba and populated by fishermen and alcoholic writers.

...yeah born and raised in M'wakee, 'Scansen, (would travel down to Chacaga a lot),  spent a while in Nawlens Loos'ana, (occasionally visited Uewston) and now live in Or'gun.

wuh ohs http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/huntington-ny/11743/weather-warnings-1644343/4289_pc

Excessive Heat Watch

Excessive Heat Watch in effect from Saturday, 8:00 AM EDT until Sunday, 10:00 PM EDT. Source: U.S. National Weather Service

hotel across the street haz ice cream machine 

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM EDT SATURDAY...
    ...EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH
    SUNDAY EVENING...

IMPACTS...THE COMBINATION OF THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY WILL
    INCREASE THE RISK FOR HEAT RELATED HEALTH ISSUES...ESPECIALLY
    FOR THE ELDERLY...THOSE WITH CHRONIC HEALTH PROBLEMS SUCH AS
    LUNG AND HEART DISEASE...THOSE WORKING OUTDOORS...AND OTHER
    HEAT SENSITIVE GROUPS OF PEOPLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HEAT ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN THE COMBINATION OF HEAT AND
    HUMIDITY IS EXPECTED TO MAKE IT FEEL LIKE IT IS 100 TO 104 DEGREES
    FOR TWO CONSECUTIVE HOURS.

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH MEANS THAT THE COMBINATION OF HEAT AND
    HUMIDITY COULD CREATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT
    ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS IF YOU WORK OR
    SPEND TIME OUTSIDE. WHEN POSSIBLE...RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS
    ACTIVITIES TO EARLY MORNING OR EVENING. KNOW THE SIGNS AND
    SYMPTOMS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT STROKE. WEAR LIGHT WEIGHT AND
    LOOSE FITTING CLOTHING WHEN POSSIBLE AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.

SENIORS AND THOSE WITH CHRONIC HEALTH PROBLEMS OR MENTAL HEALTH
    CONDITIONS ARE AT AN INCREASED RISK. HOMES WITHOUT AIR
    CONDITIONING CAN BE MUCH HOTTER THAN OUTDOOR TEMPERATURES.

USE AIR CONDITIONING TO STAY COOL AT HOME OR GO TO A PLACE THAT
    HAS AIR CONDITIONING. CHECK ON VULNERABLE FRIENDS...FAMILY
    MEMBERS AND NEIGHBORS.

Tjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

Nope. http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Missouri

thaz how i was sayin it

MistyMist said:

In the 1950s my great aunts and uncles who were all born in the 1890s and raised in western NY State called the Florida city Miami, "Myamma"  I don't know if it was an 1890s NY dialect or the pronunciation of the city's name by the two sisters who married and moved down to "Myamma" in the 1920s.  I can understand that Southern dialects would say Myamma but would have expected it in the North.  However, the more I think about it, they probably didn't travel back and forth between Miami and Buffalo much in the 1920s or make a lot of phone calls long distance either.  Oh, wait..., I just remembered the third sister who stayed up here telling me the story of how the whole family drove to Florida in the 1920's in a model-T and camped along the way.  The trip took several weeks.  So if they were all down there then they all got indoctrinated to the local pronunciation.  Ah ha! 

Back in the 1920s, the only two communities that could be called cities in the penninsula part of Florida were "Tampa", and "Myamma". devil  Well, there was also Key West but that was in the sea halfway to Cuba and populated by fishermen and alcoholic writers.

Myamma 

New Orleans  nawlins

oh dear, he needs a dental plan

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/94956/the-dragon-in-a-box-complaint-thread#latest

flutterbies!

ooo, this is the kind i saw yesterday, flutterin in the flowers

MistyMist said:

wuh ohs http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/huntington-ny/11743/weather-warnings-1644343/4289_pc

Excessive Heat Watch

Excessive Heat Watch in effect from Saturday, 8:00 AM EDT until Sunday, 10:00 PM EDT. Source: U.S. National Weather Service

SUNDAY EVENING...

MEMBERS AND NEIGHBORS.

...we have one of those for today through Caturday.  low 90s today, Mid to upper 90s tommorow, mid 90s Catruday

edited August 2016
    MistyMist said:

flutterbies!

ooo, this is the kind i saw yesterday, flutterin in the flowers

..ahh Painted Lady and a Tiger Swallowtail.  I see both of these on occasion here but mostly it's the small White Cabbage Flutterbys.  Yet to see a Monarch (haven't seen one for a few years here now).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,739

I started work too early today.  I started at eight thirty but was supposed to start at ten. 

MistyMist said:
    Tjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

Nope. http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Missouri

thaz how i was sayin it

U wuz rite den. laugh

• Complaint thread please note that tomorrow is the Glorious Twelfth, at which point we may legally shoot grouse.

No grousing in The Complaint Thread tomorrow, then.

Whinging, on the other hand, is required.

edited August 2016

Complaint thread please note that tomorrow is the Glorious Twelfth, at which point we may legally shoot grouse.

...fortunately that is only in the UK which is 7,900KM from where I am.  cheeky

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. TGIF and for once not stormy so epeople can climb on our roof and see if there's any water getting in, sure has been a wild few days here :)

I started work too early today.  I started at eight thirty but was supposed to start at ten. 

Am taking the first day off in a couple of weeks today :)

kyoto kid said:

Complaint thread please note that tomorrow is the Glorious Twelfth, at which point we may legally shoot grouse.

...fortunately that is only in the UK which is 7,900KM from where I am.  cheeky

lil birdies look safe there then :)

kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:

Excessive Heat Watch

SUNDAY EVENING...

MEMBERS AND NEIGHBORS.

...we have one of those for today through Caturday.  low 90s today, Mid to upper 90s tommorow, mid 90s Catruday

50.png
    208 x 166 - 15K
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,199
    edited August 2016
    MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

Myamma 

New Orleans  nawlins

New Yawk, Bastin, Wes Vergini, Jawja

And let's not forget the British massacre of the "th"sound.  Frow away the "T" completely, ide the "H", toss in an "F" and sound like you've got a mouf full of mashed potatoes.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

ssippss extra stout

...Thor's Day compliant. The Daz mobile app is a pain in the bum when trying to post on the forums as it will not let you separate paragraphs with blank lines. Hence in long posts everything gets mashed together in one block of text. Also, any time there is a message like "Draft Saved..." or that a new post was made to a subscribed thread, it plasters the popup right in the middle of the edit window over what you are entering.
  • Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

Myamma 

New Orleans  nawlins

And let's not forget the British massacre of the "th"sound.  Frow away the "T" completely, ide the "H", toss in an "F" and sound like you've got a mouf full of mashed potatoes.

Oh, no, now.  I've been trying to stay quiet and behave, but you done crossed a line there. 

Jawja?  That would be George-ah. wink​  Even in the deepest, darkest rural regions of Georgia, it is George-ah. 

Georgians I've heard through the years Inatchul born Tennessean here) make it sound like Joe-juh. (shrug)

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited August 2016
    Tjohn said:

Georgians I've heard through the years Inatchul born Tennessean here) make it sound like Joe-juh. (shrug)

No, sir, that would be George-ah. smiley​  Yes, I am a native.  And actually quite proud of it.

Our accent is not easy to mimic.

Post edited by Jan19 on

hard to sleep, humids uncomfy

...fortunately I have an air conditioner or it would be intolerable since my room gets sun most of the day.

Gonna be a scorcher here tomorrow..

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I don't have dogs. I don't have cats. yet my back garden is full of cat poo. angry

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

Myamma 

New Orleans  nawlins

Only in certain areas, usually around the east end of London.  

Jan19 said:
    Tjohn said:

No, sir, that would be George-ah. smiley​  Yes, I am a native.  And actually quite proud of it.

Our accent is not easy to mimic.

All this talk about Georgia made me want to hear this again.

I don't have dogs. I don't have cats. yet my back garden is full of cat poo. angry

Makes good fertilizer.smiley

This discussion has been closed.