Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Yep, that's correct!

It surprised me how well it worked too. One thing I do like is that Genesis accepts my old V4 poses without anything untoward happening. Having said that, my render is head and shoulders so anything could be going on below that!

CHEERS!

• Mary WilliamsMary Williams Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Yep, that's correct!

It surprised me how well it worked too. One thing I do like is that Genesis accepts my old V4 poses without anything untoward happening. Having said that, my render is head and shoulders so anything could be going on below that!

CHEERS!

I'm a lil miffy at the limits in the figure but I just re-saved a copy back to the library with all of the limits turned off. :D It took V4 poses slightly better, then, and made it easier to adjust.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Oh, right, I'll have to look into that.

The pose was a simple standing one and most of the others I'd use are for portraits. If anything else is needed then I'll get some proper poses.

CHEERS!

• MidnightOwlMidnightOwl Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

I'm in the process of reading all 39 pages of this thread but I have a quick question. I got V5 and M5 via 3D World. Is it possible to convert these to the new DSON format? I have both Poser Pro 2012 and DAZ Studio 4.5 installed.

I have also created clothing items for Genesis. Is it possible to convert these to the new DSON format so they can be used in Poser?

Thanks in advance.

edited December 1969

I installed my V4/M4 Body Shapes for Genesis from an ImagineFX Magazine disc into my DS Content directory, after installing the huge Genesis Starter Essentials TRX file there, and it appears to work just fine with the Genesis figure in Poser. I've got a Support ticket in asking about updates, but haven't heard anything back yet.

edited December 1969

Nightsong said:
    I installed my V4/M4 Body Shapes for Genesis from an ImagineFX Magazine disc into my DS Content directory, after installing the huge Genesis Starter Essentials TRX file there, and it appears to work just fine with the Genesis figure in Poser. I've got a Support ticket in asking about updates, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Thank you very much, Nightsong. I'll try that.

I've found instructions for converting clothes, poses and textures now but not morphs. How would one transfer custom morphs over so Poser recognizes them? Would I just create them in DS4.5 and then put them in the Poser Genesis content directory?

So far Genesis is working great in Poser. Great job to all involved.

edited December 1969

You've got me there. I know it can be done because I've got access to Surreality's Tamesis morphs on my Genesis figure, but... it sort of just happened automagically. I installed the DS files to my DS Content directory and it appeared when I next loaded Genesis inside of Poser.

edited October 2012

Nightsong said:
    You've got me there. I know it can be done because I've got access to Surreality's Tamesis morphs on my Genesis figure, but... it sort of just happened automagically. I installed the DS files to my DS Content directory and it appeared when I next loaded Genesis inside of Poser.

LOL... sounds magic!

I'll experiment and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Edited to add: Just moving the V5 and M5 folders over to (Poser Directory)\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\DAZ 3D makes the morphs available in Poser. Thanks go to Nightsong! :)

Post edited by MidnightOwl on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Ok, rather than go through all 39 pages... I got V5 Pro bundle, and use Daz, I'm confused with which files to download... I don't use poser, and not sure which ones daz needs lol.... Do I just download Legacy stuff? Be more simple if it was titled with 'DAZ' lol

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

The difference betweent he Legacy and the DSON files is the DSON files are just updated versions and should work just fine in DS but wont make any difference from the Legacy files which are the last update of the product before DS 4.5.1.6

Amethyst, if you install DS 4.5.1.6 which was just released, you can use it to update any Genesis product to work with the DSON Importer for Poser

Please see here - http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_content_conversion/start

• Miranas ArtMiranas Art Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

I would like to ask 2 questions:

1. When I'm buying the v4 Shape for Genesis will I can use V4 Poser content on it? Especially clothing?
    2. Is ther a possibility to use V4 Facemorphs on Genesis?

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    The difference betweent he Legacy and the DSON files is the DSON files are just updated versions and should work just fine in DS but wont make any difference from the Legacy files which are the last update of the product before DS 4.5.1.6

Amethyst, if you install DS 4.5.1.6 which was just released, you can use it to update any Genesis product to work with the DSON Importer for Poser

Please see here - http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_content_conversion/start

Thanks Matty!

• edited December 1969

OK here is the existing Bug Report on the issue of Genesis Loading but the Poser's Library not responding:

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=48127

Greyson and ezwood, please consider adding any additional information or details to it :)

Made that red cuz for as fast as this thread is going I didn't want you to miss it LOL

AN UPDATE TO THIS ISSUE:
    They have narrowed down what is causing this for some people and are working on a fix to resolve it. I just wanted to let those who were experiencing this know it was looked over today and the Software Dev people are hard at work trying to get it resolved for you all.

As a work around, you can try the following:
    If you’re having issues with switching over to other parts of the library once Genesis is loaded, go into Edit > General Preferences > Library > switch Launch Behavior to External and restart Poser. that fixed it for me.

um I have poser 9 & I dont see that option when I open up Edit > General Preferences > Library

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

greyson5 said:
    OK here is the existing Bug Report on the issue of Genesis Loading but the Poser's Library not responding:

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=48127

Greyson and ezwood, please consider adding any additional information or details to it :)

Made that red cuz for as fast as this thread is going I didn't want you to miss it LOL

AN UPDATE TO THIS ISSUE:
    They have narrowed down what is causing this for some people and are working on a fix to resolve it. I just wanted to let those who were experiencing this know it was looked over today and the Software Dev people are hard at work trying to get it resolved for you all.

As a work around, you can try the following:
    If you’re having issues with switching over to other parts of the library once Genesis is loaded, go into Edit > General Preferences > Library > switch Launch Behavior to External and restart Poser. that fixed it for me.

um I have poser 9 & I dont see that option when I open up Edit > General Preferences > Library

Poser 9 does not have that option. So this bypass won't work for P9

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Nightsong said:
    I'm not quite sure how to report bugs to y'all but I thought you'd want a heads up that renders sent to the Poser Queue Manager contain DSON clothing, but no Genesis. I just inadvertently made a render of a ghostly swordswoman with hair and clothing but no corporeal body. :P

PS: Laurie she is beautiful!!!!

Yes, genesis remains invisible with the queue manager. Clothing and hair render fine.
    Rendering in separate process and background renders OK

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Mirana said:
    I would like to ask 2 questions:

1. When I'm buying the v4 Shape for Genesis will I can use V4 Poser content on it? Especially clothing?
    2. Is ther a possibility to use V4 Facemorphs on Genesis?

You don't need the V4 shape for Genesis to get V4 clothing to fit Genesis, the Autofit plugin does that anyway, assuming that you are using DAZ Studio.

You would need to use the GenX plugin for DS4 AND the V4 shape for Genesis to transfer character morphs.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Thanks, I've already done that. I've converted things to the DUF format and then to the DSON format and everything works like a dream. Fantastic work!

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

Krissy said:
    K I wanted to do an actual render showing Genesis in action in Poser

Credits:
    Moon Gate by Jack Tomalin
    DAZ Wyvern 2.0
    Magna Hart by Bobbie25
    The lovely Genesis sporting Victoria 5
    Erato hair by Plus3D and Mairy
    Some slight postwork in PS CS6 - Extra flames from a photo

The pose, believe it or not, is one I did ages ago for V4. Look how nicely it worked with Genesis!

Gorgous render! and in such a short amount of time ;)

TY sweetie! And lol well it did take a couple hours. But no longer than it would take to do an image of native Poser content :)
    You a master :) For me few hours is just setting up a scene :)
    But true.. there is not much difficulty of uing genesis in poser, one everything is on it's place all is going smoothly :)

Now if I will run clothing for v4 in DS trought autofit wil I be able to convert them for poser use for genesis? I thought someone mention it is possible.
    And autofit transfroms now movement morphs?

Post edited by Gloomy007 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

I must be missing something, because I do not see how to change the UV mapping on Genesis in Poser.

Or, perhaps, do I need to update all of my Michael 5 textures to get new files that will apply the correct UV mapping for me?

Apologies if this was covered somewhere, 35 pages is just a little much to try to read and comprehend all at once.

You need to apply a .duf materials preset - I have one saved that switches to M4, I'll try making a set of presets that do nothing but switch UV sets and put them up later but for now just apply one of the Sample map settings to the figure and then the texture set you want to use.

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    jago187 said:
    Hi, thanks, I noticed that most of the other things in the bundle have a "poser companion" file, but the Gens do not. I'm thinking they are not getting imported to Poser, just sitting in Daz studio.

Lokks like you'll have to wait for either DAZ or some kind DS user to get round to making the Poser support files for the gens (or try them out in DS). When the Posef support files are done and installed, you should find the gens figure in your Poser library alongside the Genesis figure.

Iff you have the item in .duf format you can manually create the companion files, though I would suggest doing it for a lot of items.

1. Place the .duf file and the thumbnail in the Poser library folder you wish to use.

2. rename the thumbnail to remove the .duf - figure.duf.png becomes figure.png

3. make a copy of one of the .py files and place it in the folder with the .duf file

4. rename the .py file to match the the .duf file - e.g. figure.py

5. create or copy a CR2 (or whatever type is required) file to match the .duf file - e.g. figure.cr2

6. edit the cr2 so it consists of

{
     version
     {
      number 9
     }
     runPythonScript "yourfilename.py"
    }

and that should be it. This won't work if you have only .dsf files in the user folder, though.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Just spotted this in my DSON search results:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/poke-away

That looks very useful, but, there's no mention of DSON in the blurb, so does that mean it still needs converting!?

That DSON list is starting to get confusing, particularly when things like that are included which don't appear to have been converted.

CHEERS!

Poke-away is rather an old product -when DS4 first came out, as a beta, it wasn't possible to hide body parts and the morphs were an alternative. However, they fixed that quickly (before the official release). Fortunately, since these are just morphs they don't need .duf files and do seem to work in the current version with the importer - they just appear as a group of morphs at the bottom of the list. You can also hid body parts by setting their Subdivision Exclude parameter to 1. In the image I set the collar's SubD exclude to 1 and applied the X-Away Left arm morph, so you can see both working in PP2012.

HiddenPartsinPP.jpg
    1055 x 982 - 20K
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited October 2012

WimvdB said:
    greyson5 said:

Poser 9 does not have that option. So this bypass won't work for P9

That is correct, it won't work on P9, only in 2012 (sorry I should have mentioned that *blush*), though they are working on an update for this. They got it troubleshooted yesterday so are now working out the best way to resolve the issue that seems to be causing it.

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
    edited December 1969

Just a quickie. Converted the Morphing Fantasy Dress and Gregoria Hair to duf and then dson and used a V4 texture. All seems to work very well.

I've just added the DS library to Poser and it seems that other morphs have also loaded into Genesis including custom ones I made for DS4. Is this correct or am I dreaming?

genesis.jpg
    398 x 400 - 50K
  • SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

Amethyst said:

I've just added the DS library to Poser and it seems that other morphs have also loaded into Genesis including custom ones I made for DS4. Is this correct or am I dreaming?

No, you are correct - this is no dream!

edited December 1969

sedor said:
    Amethyst said:

Thanks for the confirmation, sedor. I thought I was seeing things. lol That's really cool. :)

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,437
    edited December 1969

I must be missing something, because I do not see how to change the UV mapping on Genesis in Poser.

Or, perhaps, do I need to update all of my Michael 5 textures to get new files that will apply the correct UV mapping for me?

Apologies if this was covered somewhere, 35 pages is just a little much to try to read and comprehend all at once.

You need to apply a .duf materials preset - I have one saved that switches to M4, I'll try making a set of presets that do nothing but switch UV sets and put them up later but for now just apply one of the Sample map settings to the figure and then the texture set you want to use.
    Thanks Richard, but I don't think what you suggested works. Tried that already.

Sounds like I should be able to do this myself with the tools provided though, no? Make a preset in studio that just changes the UV's? Convert that over? Or just convert an existing M5 preset over, perhaps?

• jerhamjerham Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

sedor said:
    Amethyst said:

It feels a little like a dream ;-)

Not only Genesis in Poser. But also a lot of other DAZ only content, like Optitex dynamic clothing. Best plugin ever if you ask me, especially if you use both programs.

dyntest.jpg
    520 x 720 - 119K
  • MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited October 2012

namrettek said:
    I just got this. IN my downloads I have a WHOLE bunch of items. They seem to be duplicates...

I'm not sure if there is any difference. They seem to have the same names...

I get duplicates in my downloads all the time since the store change-over. It's NOT just simply the PC and Mac files showing in the list simultaneously (God, please, give me an option to filter out the Mac files), but actual duplicate listings for the same files. It seems to happen mostly with the $1.99 PC Club items.

Post edited by Morpheon on
  • rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

timoteo said:
    Hi. Very excited about this, but it doesn't seem to work (at least for me.) I'm running Poser Pro 2012 on Win7 64-bit. I installed the DSON importer, then the Genesis Files, then the Genesis for Poser files.

When I launch Poser I am getting the following error in a "mainWacros" window:

>>>>>An errror occurred importing addon dson :
    ERROR: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

An errror occurred importing addon dson :
    ERROR: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.<<<<</p>

Also, when trying to use an item under the DSON Scripts menu, I get the following ...

>>>>>>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
    import dson;
    File "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 3, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
    <<<<<<<</p>

It appears the module is not being found. Is there a specific directory that the DSON Importer is supposed to be installed to?

Thanks,
    Tim

Make sure you downloaded the correct 32 or 64bit version. If you are in Poser 9, install to that directory. The DSON Importer Documentation covers exactly what should go where. :)

You also need SR3 for your Poser version.

What is "SR3 for your Poser version"??

• WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

OK. I have two folders on my external hard drive. One is Poser 9 (where I put everything to work), and the other one is, Poser 9 Content. I use to keep it inside of the Poser 9 folder, but with setting up Genesis in Poser 9, I had to move it on the outside of Poser 9 folder. Now Genesis works for me. My question is: Where do I load my items to? The Poser 9 folder, or the Poser 9 Content folder? Help!!!
    I'm so confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This discussion has been closed.