Who said Blender was hard?

1565759616270

Comments

  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,123

    Blender 2.8 is out of beta. Otoy Octaine has free render engine for this great peice of software. If you check youtube blender channel has released tutorials on basic use. McCasual has way to take your daz scene to blender 2.8 and render. Have fun

  • PadonePadone Posts: 1,078

    honestly I was expecting a rc4-rc99 until the end of the year lol .. it is also interesting that they're working with nvidia to support rtx on cycles ..

    https://code.blender.org/2019/07/accelerating-cycles-using-nvidia-rtx

  • marblemarble Posts: 3,774

    Big developments with Blender recently. When I get the chance I want to compare the ways of getting scenes over to Blender for rendering in Eevee, Cycles and/or Octane. Also animation rendering. Lot’s of fun to discover, not to mention the animation improvements in Daz Studio 4.12. 

  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,123

    It would be in daz best interests to make a bridge so we can use our daz models in blender evee for animation. It may bring blender heads here for content if daz content transfered easy. For stills I would still use daz studio.

  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,123
    edited July 31

    oops double post

    Post edited by Silver Dolphin on
  • marblemarble Posts: 3,774

    It would be in daz best interests to make a bridge so we can use our daz models in blender evee for animation. It may bring blender heads here for content if daz content transfered easy. For stills I would still use daz studio.

    Couldn’t agree more. I’d pay for that. 

     

  • PadonePadone Posts: 1,078
    marble said:

    Couldn’t agree more. I’d pay for that. 

    .. Then the real sad thing is they can't do it even for Poser since G3 G8 are not supported by the dson importer. And the DAZ to Maya plugin is just a little more than a fbx importer. So I guess the diffeomorphic plugin will be the best we can have for Blender. And of course I will be more than glad if I'm wrong but unfortunately I believe not ..

  • Sad to say, I've managed to crash it reliably in two different scenarios already today...

  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 1,280

    The mcjTeleBlender3 works a bit better for me than the diffeomorphic one, although that one is not 100% perfect yet either. Diffeomorphic can't seem to handle certain 3rd party geograph products well. I really just started diving back into blender with the beta, I like the new UI a lot better than the old one. Seems devs are finally listening to the users a little after all these years lol. Really only going through some basic level tutorials, haven't really done anything to stress it any and crash yet

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 56,019

    Merged the 2.8 thread into the main Blender thread.

  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,079

    Sad to say, I've managed to crash it reliably in two different scenarios already today...

    I had a post all done in the other thread that evidently got lost when the threads were merged surprise. Probably all for the best because it was too long anyway!

    Just wondering what you did to crash Blender, and what your OS is? I've been using the 2.8 beta for production work, and only crashed once (trying to do something I didn't think would work). anyway just wondering what caused the crash so that maybe someone would have a "fix", and if not wo oather could avoid the same issue.

  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 1,280
    edited July 31

    Oh, question. Is there a linux flavor that works with blender and nvidia the best, or ones that plain suck and should be avoided? If I am able to get this workflow perfected, I want to try the new blender in a nice lightweight linux distro, probably an xfce version, those are usually almost non-existant when it comes to OS footprint on hardware. Would be pretty cool if I could set up stuff in my hacked and gimped win7 and be able to pop over to linux when I am ready to render.

    Post edited by TheKD on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 8,556

    Didn't see anyone post - Blender 2.8 was officially released today.

    Damnit!

    I like the old interface. Guess I need to relearn it.

  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 4,405
    edited July 31

    Sad to say, I've managed to crash it reliably in two different scenarios already today...

    Me too, but in Blender's defense, the couple of times I crashed it I was in a 3rd party addon ;). All in all, I like it. I got me a few very targeted Blender 2.8 Udemy courses and have been watching nothing but tutes for three days. I may not have any gray matter left by the time it's all said and done, but hopefully one or two things will click...lol.

    One thing I found that I really love is Modular Tree - make trees with nodes. Actually makes sense to me o.O. Unfortunately it was one of the addons that crashed Blender. But at least now I know now what NOT to do ;). As long as I don't do that one thing, it makes trees just fine :P.

    Laurie

    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • DustRider said:

     

    Just wondering what you did to crash Blender, and what your OS is? I

    Tried to render some particle hair on an imported G8F obj in Cycles.  It got stuck on first sample, then crashed giving a message Blender had stopped working.  At the same time I got a separate message up that the Nvidia kernel had stopped but been recovered.  Trying to narrow down what in the scene triggers the crash; doesn't happen with similar hair emitted from a sphere.

    Second one was checking a checkbox in the particle edit properties - can't remember which one, but Blender just disappeared instantly with no messages at all.

    If I can establish a simple test scene and procedure to reproduce either or both I'll submit (a) bug report(s).

  • nicstt said:

    Didn't see anyone post - Blender 2.8 was officially released today.

    Damnit!

    I like the old interface. Guess I need to relearn it.

    The new 2.80 UI is growing on me, but I am sticking to right-click select - because I can, saves re-training myself and actually it always made sense to me.  Sometimes the maverick is correct!

  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 6,160
    nicstt said:

    Didn't see anyone post - Blender 2.8 was officially released today.

    Damnit!

    I like the old interface. Guess I need to relearn it.

    The new 2.80 UI is growing on me, but I am sticking to right-click select - because I can, saves re-training myself and actually it always made sense to me.  Sometimes the maverick is correct!

    The new UI will be easiest to learn for new people. I struggle to find things being used to 2.79. However, Blender's series of bite-sized tutorials is answering a lot of my "where the h did they put that?" questions.

  • marblemarble Posts: 3,774
    AllenArt said:

    Sad to say, I've managed to crash it reliably in two different scenarios already today...

    Me too, but in Blender's defense, the couple of times I crashed it I was in a 3rd party addon ;). All in all, I like it. I got me a few very targeted Blender 2.8 Udemy courses and have been watching nothing but tutes for three days. I may not have any gray matter left by the time it's all said and done, but hopefully one or two things will click...lol.

    One thing I found that I really love is Modular Tree - make trees with nodes. Actually makes sense to me o.O. Unfortunately it was one of the addons that crashed Blender. But at least now I know now what NOT to do ;). As long as I don't do that one thing, it makes trees just fine :P.

    Laurie

    I have a Udemy account but I've missed the famous massive discounts each time I've looked recently. I need to set a reminder to look every couple of days or so.

  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,079

    While not really to do with 3D but also found that Blender now has a built in video/movie editing functionality now.. So will be hand for those making 3D movies..

  • marblemarble Posts: 3,774
    edited August 1
    Ghosty12 said:

    While not really to do with 3D but also found that Blender now has a built in video/movie editing functionality now.. So will be hand for those making 3D movies..

    Yep, if you mean the VSE (Video Sequence Editor), I prefer it to anything else I've tried. I don't know yet whether they have made improvements in 2.8 but I've been using it for years for making my videos from image sequences that I've rendered in DAZ Studio.

    Post edited by marble on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 8,556
    nicstt said:

    Didn't see anyone post - Blender 2.8 was officially released today.

    Damnit!

    I like the old interface. Guess I need to relearn it.

    The new 2.80 UI is growing on me, but I am sticking to right-click select - because I can, saves re-training myself and actually it always made sense to me.  Sometimes the maverick is correct!

    I agree.

    Right click select makes sense, and ive been using it for so many years that I really don't want to retrain it.

  • NyghtfallNyghtfall Posts: 512
    edited August 1

    I've tried Blender a few times over the years.  Its two biggest sticking points that kept driving me were the default right-click functionality and heavy reliance on keyboard commands.  2.8 looks very promising.  After watching a Blender guru's video outlining why he thinks 2.8 is a game-changer, I'm eager to try it out.

    Post edited by Nyghtfall on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 1,280

    Ca you download the videos to your PC & play & replay as often as needed? I'm far too slow & my internet far too slow to mess around with online only accounts.

    There is a great program out there called jdownloader 2. It can grab most of the videos on the interwebs for you, simply by copying the link to clipboard, then telling it to go. I am a tutorial junky lol, use it all the time, I have a 4tb hard drive almost full of just video tutorials.

  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 11,744
    TheKD said:

    Ca you download the videos to your PC & play & replay as often as needed? I'm far too slow & my internet far too slow to mess around with online only accounts.

    There is a great program out there called jdownloader 2. It can grab most of the videos on the interwebs for you, simply by copying the link to clipboard, then telling it to go. I am a tutorial junky lol, use it all the time, I have a 4tb hard drive almost full of just video tutorials.

    Thanks!

  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 4,405
    edited August 2
    AllenArt said:
    marble said:
    AllenArt said:

    Sad to say, I've managed to crash it reliably in two different scenarios already today...

    Me too, but in Blender's defense, the couple of times I crashed it I was in a 3rd party addon ;). All in all, I like it. I got me a few very targeted Blender 2.8 Udemy courses and have been watching nothing but tutes for three days. I may not have any gray matter left by the time it's all said and done, but hopefully one or two things will click...lol.

    One thing I found that I really love is Modular Tree - make trees with nodes. Actually makes sense to me o.O. Unfortunately it was one of the addons that crashed Blender. But at least now I know now what NOT to do ;). As long as I don't do that one thing, it makes trees just fine :P.

    Laurie

    I have a Udemy account but I've missed the famous massive discounts each time I've looked recently. I need to set a reminder to look every couple of days or so.

    Probably pays to do so. There is a 10.99 sale today for new users, which would exclude us, but for anyone else....  I got the Blender 2.8 Complete Guide from Beginner to Pro and the instructor has a heavy French accent, which I find hard to understand once in awhile, but overall he's very thorough and covers A LOT....lol. It's been a great tutorial so far.

    :).

    Laurie

    Ca you download the videos to your PC & play & replay as often as needed? I'm far too slow & my internet far too slow to mess around with online only accounts.

    No, you can't download them, which doesn't make much sense to me, but that's the reality (but there are ways around it ;)). CG Cookie tho will let you download theirs and I got a sub to them too, tho they don't have too much in the way of 2.8 stuff up yet. A few things, definitely not much. Maybe in a few months ;).

    Laurie

    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 3,888
    AllenArt said:
    marble said:
    AllenArt said:

    Sad to say, I've managed to crash it reliably in two different scenarios already today...

    Me too, but in Blender's defense, the couple of times I crashed it I was in a 3rd party addon ;). All in all, I like it. I got me a few very targeted Blender 2.8 Udemy courses and have been watching nothing but tutes for three days. I may not have any gray matter left by the time it's all said and done, but hopefully one or two things will click...lol.

    One thing I found that I really love is Modular Tree - make trees with nodes. Actually makes sense to me o.O. Unfortunately it was one of the addons that crashed Blender. But at least now I know now what NOT to do ;). As long as I don't do that one thing, it makes trees just fine :P.

    Laurie

    I have a Udemy account but I've missed the famous massive discounts each time I've looked recently. I need to set a reminder to look every couple of days or so.

    Probably pays to do so. There is a 10.99 sale today for new users, which would exclude us, but for anyone else....  I got the Blender 2.8 Complete Guide from Beginner to Pro and the instructor has a heavy French accent, which I find hard to understand once in awhile, but overall he's very thorough and covers A LOT....lol. It's been a great tutorial so far.

    :).

    Laurie

    I got that one to, it's an excellent guide it ready goes into a lot that other tutorials don't do, so can't recommend it enough !

  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 6,160

    Please remember that the ToS prohibits off-site commercial discussion.

  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 11,744
    AllenArt said:
    Nyghtfall said:
    AllenArt said:
    marble said:
    AllenArt said:

    Sad to say, I've managed to crash it reliably in two different scenarios already today...

    Me too, but in Blender's defense, the couple of times I crashed it I was in a 3rd party addon ;). All in all, I like it. I got me a few very targeted Blender 2.8 Udemy courses and have been watching nothing but tutes for three days. I may not have any gray matter left by the time it's all said and done, but hopefully one or two things will click...lol.

    One thing I found that I really love is Modular Tree - make trees with nodes. Actually makes sense to me o.O. Unfortunately it was one of the addons that crashed Blender. But at least now I know now what NOT to do ;). As long as I don't do that one thing, it makes trees just fine :P.

    Laurie

    I have a Udemy account but I've missed the famous massive discounts each time I've looked recently. I need to set a reminder to look every couple of days or so.

    Probably pays to do so. There is a 10.99 sale today for new users, which would exclude us, but for anyone else....  I got the Blender 2.8 Complete Guide from Beginner to Pro and the instructor has a heavy French accent, which I find hard to understand once in awhile, but overall he's very thorough and covers A LOT....lol. It's been a great tutorial so far.

    :).

    Laurie

    I got that one to, it's an excellent guide it ready goes into a lot that other tutorials don't do, so can't recommend it enough !

    It's $19 for existing users like me for another 4 days.  I just signed up.

    That's what I paid a few days back. Worth every penny :). Been watching for days and I'm only half way thru. LOL

    Laurie

    Does the wallpaper in your 'The Blue Room' also have a preset for 'The Holiday Nook' or just for the 'Rural Chateau'? Also, a scene preset for 'The Holiday Nook'? No biggy it all your Victorian Decor # IRay isn't set up with scene presets for the Holiday Nook I'll buy them regardless but I thought I'd ask since it was mentioned in one ad copy. Thanks.

  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 4,587
    edited August 2

    Didn't noticed, that there is a sculpt start up file in Blender 2.80, which makes start dabbling with it extremely easy.

    My 5 minutes work in Blender and then iray rendering in Daz Studio.

    Used shader from https://www.daz3d.com/alien-rock-shaders-for-daz-studio

    image

    sculpt001uv01pic03.jpg
    1300 x 1200 - 387K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,079
    marble said:
    Ghosty12 said:

    While not really to do with 3D but also found that Blender now has a built in video/movie editing functionality now.. So will be hand for those making 3D movies..

    Yep, if you mean the VSE (Video Sequence Editor), I prefer it to anything else I've tried. I don't know yet whether they have made improvements in 2.8 but I've been using it for years for making my videos from image sequences that I've rendered in DAZ Studio.

    Looking at Blender now there are two in there.. The one you mentioned Video Sequence Editor and another Movie Clip Editor, and the only difference between the two is the menu at the top..

Sign In or Register to comment.