Who said Blender was hard?

1484950515254»

Comments

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 840
    MDO2010 said:
    RorrKonn said:

#pad 5 gets u in & out of perspective view so.

Another thing that actually bothers me. Lots of people don't have a numpad anymore, me included. I'd like to stay as close to default key bindings but in this case I just can't. Granted, this is a case where you could say it's not a weakness of Blender but a weakness of my keyboard laugh

Who is lots of people? I don't know anyone who doesn't have a numeric keypad except for some people with very small light laptops (which they don't use for 3D work anyway). I don't think I've ever seen a desktop computer that didn't come with a keyboard with a keypad. I just did a quick Google search and then searched on Amazon and every result on the first page came with a keyboard that included a number pad.

https://www.google.ch/search?q=tenkeyless+keyboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbq6mXoYDbAhVEKFAKHTBRC54Q_AUICigB&biw=1621&bih=1077

Pretty common these days. There are even smaller form factors too. More ergonomic to use because you can type with straight arms and not have the mouse too far to the right. My desk is also filled with a tablet in front and a 3d mouse to the left so it's kinda crammed. And of course people use laptops for 3d work.

• MDO2010MDO2010 Posts: 1,409
    MDO2010 said:
    RorrKonn said:

#pad 5 gets u in & out of perspective view so.

Another thing that actually bothers me. Lots of people don't have a numpad anymore, me included. I'd like to stay as close to default key bindings but in this case I just can't. Granted, this is a case where you could say it's not a weakness of Blender but a weakness of my keyboard laugh

Who is lots of people? I don't know anyone who doesn't have a numeric keypad except for some people with very small light laptops (which they don't use for 3D work anyway). I don't think I've ever seen a desktop computer that didn't come with a keyboard with a keypad. I just did a quick Google search and then searched on Amazon and every result on the first page came with a keyboard that included a number pad.

https://www.google.ch/search?q=tenkeyless+keyboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbq6mXoYDbAhVEKFAKHTBRC54Q_AUICigB&biw=1621&bih=1077

Pretty common these days. There are even smaller form factors too. More ergonomic to use because you can type with straight arms and not have the mouse too far to the right. My desk is also filled with a tablet in front and a 3d mouse to the left so it's kinda crammed. And of course people use laptops for 3d work.

Yeah - I didn't say they didn't exist, I was just arguing that it's not the standard. Few computers come that way unless special ordered, but you and Robert both have good points and I am convinced that a number of people are changing out their keyboards for ones that work better for them and don't have those keys. I still think it's a minority of computer users, but I am convinced that it's a significant minority.

And I know people do 3D on laptops, because I do (no space for a desktop and I like to be able to move around and work in different rooms of my house depending on my mood and the weather). My laptop does have a full sized keyboard with number keypad built in, but I ordered it that way and I know laptops have moved away from that design due to weight and size considerations.

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 840

Yeah, I don't have any numbers on how common they are but they've been around for a while. I must have had various keyboards without numpads for 10 years at least. This may be worth reading:

https://blog.forrestthewoods.com/why-your-keyboard-is-bad-for-your-body-40376fcec8c5

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 1,820

Had a friend who bought one and a seperate number pad so that she could have the number pad on the left instead of the right

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,118
    Mendoman said:
    marble said:

We have been a litle hesitant to step in as there did seem to be an element of genuine discussion, but it does seem that the tiem has come for people who have made their decision not to use Blender to move on to another thread and leave this ne those who do use it or who are considering its use.

I agree with the proviso that being critical of some features of Blender should not result in removal of the posts. I use Blender out of financial necessity and, while there are aspects that drive me nuts, I am very glad it is there and it is free. I come to this thread to see how others use it and when some people complain about some quirk, a workaround is often proposed. This is helpful to occasional users like me. Otherwise, you are quite right in saying that blanket dismissal should be discouraged.

By the way, I'd love to see more discussion of interaction between DAZ Studio and Blender for things like sculpting morphs, rendering a scene in Blender (Eevee looks exciting) and animating figures (preferably with DAZ rigging). I wouldn't know where to start with some of those subjects.

I really don't know much about animating, so can't really help there, but there's really nice script here in Daz forums to move scenes and render them in Blender. "Support" thread is here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2877/mcjteleblender-daz-studio-scenes-animations-w-blender-s-cycles-engine . There you can find script/plugin, that does most of the heavy lifting.

Also 2.8 update is not only about Eevee ( I admit, it looks and feels really cool and seems to steal all the thunder currently ), but also Cycles is getting improvements as well: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/Render/Cycles/Roadmap . Microdisplacement, IES lighting and cube map rendering all sound interesting news to me.

Here's one more page that some may find interesting also: https://code.blender.org/2016/10/asset-management-and-pipeline/ The one thing that really won me over to Daz world, was the ease of posing. The leap from makehuman/blender combo to G3/DS was just unreal. Now maybe we finally get a pose library functionality in Blender too. I assume there's probably still some way to go to reach DS level ease of use, but it's a start. And yes, a real working material library would be a really nice addition. Of course you can already kind of create your own libraries, but it's just not very easy to use, when you have to append those materials between blend files without previews etc.

Blender has a Pose Library functionnality since forever. You can use it when you select a skeleton

BTW latest buildbot has a 3D View navigation widget

• marblemarble Posts: 2,980

Not sure whether this is the right thread to post this but I happened across this while browsing. Looks impressive even though it is still experimental. Maybe an alternative to dForce for some?

https://www.blendernation.com/2018/01/18/modeling-cloth-addon-available-experimentation/