March 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Posing” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• HollokoHolloko Posts: 75
    Holloko said:
    frank0314 said:

The archer is posed perfectly. Agree with the others you need something to support it.

An ideas so it doesn't look like she has a post coming out of her rear end or a big ugly pole in front of the fountain? I tried those options and they don't look good at all. I am open to suggestions.

It is your image Holloko.  I can completely understand not wanting a pole located in an unfortunate location.  But after seeing the picture of the Alien statue you posted I can see what you have done could work if it is anchored properly.

Any feedback from anyone is just a suggestion.  It is your image and your vision.  Regardless of what you decide to do it is a great image.

I really appreciate the feedback, so thank you for the advice. I know I am a novice at this. I will play around with it and give the suggestions some consideration. Thanks again for the valuable input!

• Could you help me again? I am trying to upload the original picture and my image but they are not displayed. They are in jpg-format and not larger than other images displayed. I cannot find an explanation.

I am not sure why that happens.  When this happens to me I simply delete the failed upload and try the upload again.  Sometimes I have to upload a few times before the image appears okay.

Same thing happens to me as well. I just do the same as kismet, and delete and retry until it works.

• Here's my latest version. I've decided that he's going for one last ride, so his foot in the back I'm trying to have him kick off as he leaves.

march2016d.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 785K
    296604-john-abraham-poses-with-his-new-super-bike-aprilia-rsv4.jpg
    600 x 398 - 42K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Finally got a chance to work on my second wolf for my entry.  It's storming here so I stopped it early since I suspect we'll loose power soon.  I wanted to get this uploaded for critiques.  My reference photo has three wolves in it and I suspect, from the research I've done, that the visible tail between my reference pose's back legs, actually belongs to the wolf behind my pose reference.  All of the research I've done suggests that this dominant stance has a tail that is up which is what I've done with my wolf.  It isn't very visible from this angle which actually matches my pose reference.  So, ignore that wolf in the back.  Things I know I need to fix:  the ears need to be a little further back and flatter.  I think I need to bring that back leg a little more forward, but wanted input because I'm not sure.  Once I'm completely done with the pose, I'll have to use symmetry and swap the pose left to right to fit in with my other wolf when I put them together.

WSngs4_0134_1.jpg
    900 x 604 - 118K
    DominantWolf01.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 707K

Here's my latest version. I've decided that he's going for one last ride, so his foot in the back I'm trying to have him kick off as he leaves.

It looks good, Shinji.  Not exact, but I suspect that one problem is the difference in arm and leg length between your reference and your model.  I think you made some good calls to compensate for those differences.  The only think that really stands out to me is that your model is still hunch over the bike more rather than leaning forward.  It kind of gives it a feel as if your rider isn't quite as confident on the bike as he should be.  However, I've posed a figure on a bike and it isn't easy so I'm sure some of that has to do with trying to get the figure on the bike and actually holding the handle bars (are they even still called that on motorcycles?).  Trying to change anything at the waist is going to require totally redoing the arms and shoulders unless you can lock those in place.  To avoid that, you may want to see if changing the angle of his neck so it looks straighter and upright, but leaning forward to see if that might help.  Not sure I've explained that legibly.  But that is really nitpicking as far as I'm concerned.  It is real close and if it was me I would probably be quite satisfied with what you've got.  I think you've done an excellent job because motorcycle poses are extremely difficult to do and your posed image looks pretty darn good.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Here's my latest version. I've decided that he's going for one last ride, so his foot in the back I'm trying to have him kick off as he leaves.

It looks good, Shinji.  Not exact, but I suspect that one problem is the difference in arm and leg length between your reference and your model.  I think you made some good calls to compensate for those differences.  The only think that really stands out to me is that your model is still hunch over the bike more rather than leaning forward.  It kind of gives it a feel as if your rider isn't quite as confident on the bike as he should be.  However, I've posed a figure on a bike and it isn't easy so I'm sure some of that has to do with trying to get the figure on the bike and actually holding the handle bars (are they even still called that on motorcycles?).  Trying to change anything at the waist is going to require totally redoing the arms and shoulders unless you can lock those in place.  To avoid that, you may want to see if changing the angle of his neck so it looks straighter and upright, but leaning forward to see if that might help.  Not sure I've explained that legibly.  But that is really nitpicking as far as I'm concerned.  It is real close and if it was me I would probably be quite satisfied with what you've got.  I think you've done an excellent job because motorcycle poses are extremely difficult to do and your posed image looks pretty darn good.

I agree with Knittingmommy.  Motorcycle poses are difficult and you have done a very good job.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,628

Finally got a chance to work on my second wolf for my entry.  It's storming here so I stopped it early since I suspect we'll loose power soon.  I wanted to get this uploaded for critiques.  My reference photo has three wolves in it and I suspect, from the research I've done, that the visible tail between my reference pose's back legs, actually belongs to the wolf behind my pose reference.  All of the research I've done suggests that this dominant stance has a tail that is up which is what I've done with my wolf.  It isn't very visible from this angle which actually matches my pose reference.  So, ignore that wolf in the back.  Things I know I need to fix:  the ears need to be a little further back and flatter.  I think I need to bring that back leg a little more forward, but wanted input because I'm not sure.  Once I'm completely done with the pose, I'll have to use symmetry and swap the pose left to right to fit in with my other wolf when I put them together.

I really like the "wolf grin" expression and the pose here. Well done!

I agree with you about the ears.  I am not sure which back leg you are referring to butt he right rear leg (left from our point of view) needs to out (sideways) slightly.  The same with the right front leg.  The wolf is pushing his weight over onto his left side.  His whole centre of gravity has been pushed off centre to his left.

Something else you didn't mention is his mouth.  It looks like your wolf has his mouth open slightly.  I see a gap between his upper and lower teeth.  The wolf in the image has his teeth clamped tightly toghether.  (Dogs do this too).  I do not know if the morphs are there but his lip needs to have more curl in it as well, front and sides.  Dogs and wolves expose their front teeth and often their gums when snarling.

This looks like a different angle on the wolf in your reference image.

Nicely done Knittingmommy.

• Here's my latest version. I've decided that he's going for one last ride, so his foot in the back I'm trying to have him kick off as he leaves.

Thanks for your feedback Knittingmommy, I think I'm about there on his pose, and just have to go back in and do some touch up on the bike. My late uncle was confident with his riding skills before his health started to go, but with his lower back looking like a horseshoe almost, I don't think he'd have been as confident to go out and ride. We had found out about his back when he had gone and had it x-rayed last march, and his problems that he had from it only got worse right up to the end.

Sorry about that last bit there, but it's been a rough month for the family dealing with uncle's passing, and even more so for me. The reason I feel that way is I had just been over the day before to help him get his dog to the vet. She hadn't been in good places so I had walked back home rather than have him leave her alone just to drive me back. I've tried to use this month's entry as a way of helping with my feelings, and in a way I think that it has.

Thanks for your feedback Knittingmommy, I think I'm about there on his pose, and just have to go back in and do some touch up on the bike. My late uncle was confident with his riding skills before his health started to go, but with his lower back looking like a horseshoe almost, I don't think he'd have been as confident to go out and ride. We had found out about his back when he had gone and had it x-rayed last march, and his problems that he had from it only got worse right up to the end.

Sorry about that last bit there, but it's been a rough month for the family dealing with uncle's passing, and even more so for me. The reason I feel that way is I had just been over the day before to help him get his dog to the vet. She hadn't been in good places so I had walked back home rather than have him leave her alone just to drive me back. I've tried to use this month's entry as a way of helping with my feelings, and in a way I think that it has.

Art is a good way to help deal with emotions so I'm glad it has helped.  You got a great image out of it, too, that you can be proud of!

I agree with you about the ears.  I am not sure which back leg you are referring to butt he right rear leg (left from our point of view) needs to out (sideways) slightly.  The same with the right front leg.  The wolf is pushing his weight over onto his left side.  His whole centre of gravity has been pushed off centre to his left.

Something else you didn't mention is his mouth.  It looks like your wolf has his mouth open slightly.  I see a gap between his upper and lower teeth.  The wolf in the image has his teeth clamped tightly toghether.  (Dogs do this too).  I do not know if the morphs are there but his lip needs to have more curl in it as well, front and sides.  Dogs and wolves expose their front teeth and often their gums when snarling.

I agree I need to work on the teeth.  If I could figure out how to do it, I'd take the wolf into a modeling program and work on the snarl to make it a little more realistic, but I'm just not that good!  I really haven't been great at making my own morphs yet.  So, the morphs with the mouth are all done with AM's pose controls.  I'm just spinning dials trying to get it as close as possible to the reference.

Totte said:

I really like the "wolf grin" expression and the pose here. Well done!

Thanks, Totte.  I've really enjoyed working with the wolf the last few months so it was fun working with him for the contest.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,168
    edited March 2016

Art is a good way to help deal with emotions so I'm glad it has helped.  You got a great image out of it, too, that you can be proud of!

Thanks Knittingmommy. I just did that last little bit of serface work and rendered what I fell is my final version. Just have to decide on a title, and remember to text a link to my cousin whose father this is in memory of.

Edit - I'm thinking of using the name "Breaking the Law" after the Judas Priest song that I had used for my uncles ringtone. Another nod if you will.

296604-john-abraham-poses-with-his-new-super-bike-aprilia-rsv4.jpg
    600 x 398 - 42K
    march2016e.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 784K
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Holloko said:
    frank0314 said:

The archer is posed perfectly. Agree with the others you need something to support it.

An ideas so it doesn't look like she has a post coming out of her rear end or a big ugly pole in front of the fountain? I tried those options and they don't look good at all. I am open to suggestions.

I'm looking at it and thinking...with water spraying from the top of the fountain...it looks like there is a jet in position...it would look as if she was sitting on something.  And if that is the case, any support would be hidden in the column of water...but without that spray, it does look as if it is somehow unbalanced.

Sickleyield has converted SpaceBone's water prop set to studio format...

http://www.sharecg.com/v/68701/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/SpaceBones-Liquid-Converted-For-DS4.5

http://www.sharecg.com/v/25522/view/5/3D-Model/Liquid

There are a couple of column type props that could possibly be used for the center jet.

Also here is a bow that comes with a drawn variant...

http://www.sharecg.com/v/75144/browse/11/Poser/Fantasy-Bow

And this one has a draw morph...

http://www.sharecg.com/v/64858/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Tribal-Bow-UPDATED

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited March 2016

Coming in late, been a crazy month! Here's my first try. Wasn't going for an exact duplicate of the original pic, just inspired by it (couldn't find the exact pose I wanted.)

It's called "Baby Love". I like the father's pose, but will try to tweak the baby a bit more tomorrow.

Avalon Rising3.png
    1000 x 750 - 989K
    babylove.jpg
    338 x 507 - 148K
    Post edited by Llynara on
    Llynara said:

Coming in late, been a crazy month! Here's my first try. Wasn't going for an exact duplicate of the original pic, just inspired by it (couldn't find the exact pose I wanted.)

It's called "Baby Love". I like the father's pose, but will try to tweak the baby a bit more tomorrow.

The one thing that really stands out for me is the Father's hair.  It should be falling straighter down his back, not following the contours.  Having said this I realize hairs do not always have the morphs necessary to achieve this look.

Looking forward to seeing the baby's pose when done.

Played with it some more. Got it pretty close to the original, though the baby is older than the one in the original picture, so I had to adjust the pose a little. Not sure I can do much more with the father's hair. Might have to try a different style.

babylove.jpg
    338 x 507 - 148K

Nice job on the wolf! I think it looks great.

Llynara said:

Played with it some more. Got it pretty close to the original, though the baby is older than the one in the original picture, so I had to adjust the pose a little. Not sure I can do much more with the father's hair. Might have to try a different style.

I really like this concept that you have going! I think you've done a good job with the posing overall. It makes it a little bit tricky because the kid in your picture is bigger (older) than the chunky baby in the reference photo. I think pulling the kid's shoulders up to his neck would make it look more realistic. I also agree that the man's hair shouldn't follow the contours of his neck like it does. I might be worth choosing different hair (shorter) if it doesn't ahve the adjustments you need.

edited March 2016

Okay, this is probably my final attempt at this pose.  I have to put it together with the other pose and run my render, but I thought I would go ahead and upload just in case anyone sees anything critically wrong with it.  For my render, I'll have to use symetry and swap right and left.  Will that be a problem?  Just wondering if I should include a copy of this render with the reference to see what the pose looks like before the swap.  @Kismet2012  @Totte  What do you think?

Reference:

My pose:

DominiantWolfPose.jpg
    800 x 640 - 454K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on

I did end up using this image to correct the ears.  I think I got them almost exactly.  I also fixed my wolf's brow to look more like this one, too.  Thanks Kismet.  I don't think I had this in my reference library so I've added it to my wolf reference folder for my future wolf poses I'm making.  I really have to try and figure out the modeling so I can make some morphs for the snout.  None of the included Wolf 2 morphs have quite that scrunched up effect.  That would be very cool to add to all of the wolf poses I've made.

Okay, this is probably my final attempt at this pose.  I have to put it together with the other pose and run my render, but I thought I would go ahead and upload just in case anyone sees anything critically wrong with it.  For my render, I'll have to use symetry and swap right and left.  Will that be a problem?  Just wondering if I should include a copy of this render with the reference to see what the pose looks like before the swap.  @Kismet2012  @Totte  What do you think?

Reference:

My pose:

The description for this challenge says to use the reference as a guide so I do not think this should be a problem Knittingmommy.

@Kismet2012  Sounds good to me!  Thanks!

edited April 2016

Ok, I think this is it! I tried lots of different hairs. The issue is with the pose. So I tweaked and tweaked the original hair till I got it almost straight, then photoshopped to take out a few bumps and lumps. I brought the baby's shoulders up a bit, that worked well! (Thanks so much for the suggestion, Holloko!)

I'm renaming this "Joy, Reborn". It's a scene from a fantasy series I'm working on. The father waited an eternity to have a family, and is overjoyed by the birth of his first child. Would've used a smaller baby if I could find one. This one is Baby for Genesis, but is more of a toddler size. I think that's as small as she gets. I think Luna from Hivewire is the only one that can be adjusted into a smaller baby, not sure. The aging morphs for G3 only take the characters down to about age 3. I think we need a baby add on!

babylove.jpg
    338 x 507 - 148K
    Post edited by Llynara on

Good job with the hair Llynara and the poses.

Thanks for your advice, Kismet2012! These contests are such a wonderful way to learn!

Good luck, everyone!  Really amazing poses this month!

• KaliadderKaliadder Posts: 69

What Knittingmommy said (she beat me to it laugh)  This has been a really great experience, and I'm definitely looking forward to April.  Good luck, everyone!!!!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,628

Contest is closed!

Best of luck everyone.  You all did a great job.

I really enjoy learning from participating in these contests! Good luck to everyone.