March 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Posing” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• This is my first attempt. I think the rest is fine but I cannot find a way to raise the left arm as in the image while leaving the right as is. Any advice?

poirotvorlage.jpg
    499 x 730 - 64K
    wettbewerbsbild.jpg
    444 x 449 - 28K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited March 2016

This is my first attempt. I think the rest is fine but I cannot find a way to raise the left arm as in the image while leaving the right as is. Any advice?

You will need to use the tree in the Scene Tab.  By clicking on each individual joint you can pose that joint without affecting any other body parts. 

I am attaching a couple of image to show what I mean.

The collars, shoulders, elbows and hands all have the Twist, Bend and Side-Side options but there are additional options for the fingers under the Pose Controls ( see image 2 ).

If these pose controls do not give you the right options you can expand the tree under Hand and manipulate each individual finger joint.

G2M Posing 1.jpg
    1372 x 732 - 200K
    G2M Posing 2.jpg
    1372 x 724 - 205K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • Ah great, thanks for your help, I will try this!

• Rendered version 3 last night. Slight changes to the right leg/foot ang shifting the camera to see his left foot. also some serface work.

296604-john-abraham-poses-with-his-new-super-bike-aprilia-rsv4.jpg
    600 x 398 - 42K
    march2016c.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 786K
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    h_habash said:

This is my latest update to the "body Builder", I've fixed the left hand position, changed the light sitteng, and finally added muscles to  the statue and removed it's reflections.

I would suggest going into shaping and adding bodybuilder details - your guy needs to be  more ripped. 

Rendered version 3 last night. Slight changes to the right leg/foot ang shifting the camera to see his left foot. also some serface work.

I'm comparing the two images - what I see is an issue with the back and the right shoulder.  You have the bend at his lumbar while the photo ref has the bend at the hip.  This is causing the need to raise his right should as though he is shrugging. 

I suggest creating more bend at the pelvis - you may need to turn off the limits.  Straighten the lower abdomen.  Can't tell from this angle, but you might need to add a little more curve forward to the chest.  The shoulder should be brought down and forward.  You may need to twist the chest a little so that his hand can reach the handlebar. 

Sometimes the best way to achieve a pose like this is to put toggles on the hips and legs and then grab the hand and pull it forward.  This often will result in a more natural reach.  You will need to do some adjusting afterward.

If you haven't used toggles before, you will need to use the Active Pose Tool (looks like a little bone with an arrow), then go to Window, Panes, Tool Settings.  Select a body part, then click on Toggle Pins.  You will see a little red push pin appear.  This locks the pose in place for that body part.  Un-Pin All to remove all of them, or click on the body part and the pin will turn green, then click on Toggle Pins to remove an individual pin.

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230
    dracorn said:
    h_habash said:

This is my latest update to the "body Builder", I've fixed the left hand position, changed the light sitteng, and finally added muscles to  the statue and removed it's reflections.

I would suggest going into shaping and adding bodybuilder details - your guy needs to be  more ripped. 

Thanks Dracorn, I have used the maximum bodybuilder and fitness detail, I tried to increase the bodybuilder size to maximum, but the guy body looked funny smiley.

edited March 2016

I decided to abandon the pose progression - it just wasn't close enough, and the camera angle, was, well... bleh.

New version with dramatic camera angle and additional story - note the stolen necklace hanging from the bag and the perplexed cop.  I used M6 Uniforms and found a badge on Share CG. 

I still have more cleaning to do but I want to put this new version out there.  Included is the reference pose for the main character and the expression for the startled woman.  Coudn't find anything I wanted for the cop so I just made that pose up. 

Freerun 14 1000.jpg
    1000 x 833 - 758K
    Free Running 11.jpg
    700 x 437 - 229K
    Surpised Girl 02.jpg
    450 x 319 - 27K
    Post edited by dracorn on
    dracorn said:

I decided to abandon the pose progression - it just wasn't close enough, and the camera angle, was, well... bleh.

New version with dramatic camera angle and additional story - note the stolen necklace hanging from the bag and the perplexed cop.  I used M6 Uniforms and found a badge on Share CG. 

I still have more cleaning to do but I want to put this new version out there.  Included is the reference pose for the main character and the expression for the startled woman.  Coudn't find anything I wanted for the cop so I just made that pose up. 

The only critique I have is for your jumper.  The angles in your image and the reference image are different but to me it looks like her left leg needs to be rotated and probably moved side-side so her knee and, more importantly, her foot are a little straighter.  I am not sure she could land safetly with her foot in that position.

I love the expression on her face and the bemused, how-did-she-manage-that? look and pose for the cop is great.

• SiotradSiotrad Posts: 110
    edited March 2016
    dracorn said:

Hello, I think the hip have to be  more bend.

I still have to fix some eyes position, fix Phenix hair and the Rogue hood texture but i think i'm approching of the perfection hihihi :)

ae85a0374e911509e043fed59a6652d8.jpg
    500 x 800 - 69K
    Post edited by Siotrad on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

This is my first attempt. I think the rest is fine but I cannot find a way to raise the left arm as in the image while leaving the right as is. Any advice?

Kismet had some great advice.  I would add that once you get the hand grip and the cane posed the way you want it, make sure you right click on the cane and "parent" it to that hand.  You might also want to select those fingers and hand bones in the scene tree and then go over to the Parameters tab and lock those bones into position.  Then, when you have to go back in and adjust the pose, and we always have to go back and do that, you will be able to move that hand and the cane will always follow along and stay gripped in the hand.

Second piece of advice: you might want to hide the suit while you pose the figure.  If you don't know how to do that yet, just click on the little eyeball next to the suit in the scene tab and that will hide it.  It is still there, but you can work with what is underneath and then unhide it later.  With a prop to deal with, sometimes it is easier to pose a naked figure so you aren't accidentally posing the clothing when you meant to pose an arm instead.  This happens sometimes if you mouse click on a body part to pose instead of using the tree to select body parts.

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend watching this video by DAZ Studio on their Youtube channel for Pinning, Posing and ActivePose Tool.

I tried to tilt her hips a little more to achieve the full splits look, but V7's buttocks really started to distort, so I think this is it.  Added the tea in Photoshop.  This will be my final render before posting.

Pouring Tea Final.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 2M
    Contortionist Pouring Coffee 2.jpg
    790 x 1185 - 66K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    dracorn said:

I tried to tilt her hips a little more to achieve the full splits look, but V7's buttocks really started to distort, so I think this is it.  Added the tea in Photoshop.  This will be my final render before posting.

I think you did an amaing job on this very tough pose Dracorn!!!! Good Luck!!

dracorn said:

I think you did an amaing job on this very tough pose Dracorn!!!! Good Luck!!

Thanks, Sapirewild.  I sure learned a lot doing this.  V7 is the most flexible yet, but still isn't quite human (yes, I am making some serious demands on her by using a contortionist pose).  

I'm also making the transition from Gimp to Photoshop (yes, I finally took the plunge).  There were certain thinks I just couldn't do as well in Gimp as in Photoshop - most notably, the Warp tool.  Gimp's version is clunky. 

Many people complain about the PS cc subscription - but, hey, the $10/month subscription price is what made PS affordable for me.  How long would it take $10/month to add up to $1500 or so for PS C6?  I wouldn't have paid it off before a new version came out. 

At any rate, I'm currently delving in a 13 hour free PS course right now, so I may not enter the next contest until I get up to speed. 

• Something is missing but this is what I came up with

not .png
    1280 x 720 - 606K
  • HollokoHolloko Posts: 75
    edited March 2016

I know I am VERY late in submitting a first wip, but it has been a busy month...

Obviously, it is the statue that is posed according to the reference photo. I wanted a bow that was drawn, but I didn't have one and wasn't willing to buy one that could be posed at this time. So my statue has just fired her bow (right hand fingers are open instead of holding the string). 

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Rendered in Daz 4.9, 3Delight. 

final_shot___drawing_reference_by_senshistock-d5m9tjn.jpg
    685 x 1167 - 146K
    archer statue 3 copy1.jpg
    1456 x 900 - 617K
    Post edited by Holloko on
  • Could you help me again? I am trying to upload the original picture and my image but they are not displayed. They are in jpg-format and not larger than other images displayed. I cannot find an explanation.

Could you help me again? I am trying to upload the original picture and my image but they are not displayed. They are in jpg-format and not larger than other images displayed. I cannot find an explanation.

I am not sure why that happens.  When this happens to me I simply delete the failed upload and try the upload again.  Sometimes I have to upload a few times before the image appears okay.

Something is missing but this is what I came up with

Is there a link to the reference image you are using?

Holloko said:

I know I am VERY late in submitting a first wip, but it has been a busy month...

Obviously, it is the statue that is posed according to the reference photo. I wanted a bow that was drawn, but I didn't have one and wasn't willing to buy one that could be posed at this time. So my statue has just fired her bow (right hand fingers are open instead of holding the string). 

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Rendered in Daz 4.9, 3Delight. 

You have posed your archer very well.  I cannot find anything to suggest as far as your archer's pose compared to the reference image.

I did notice, or it could be the camera angle, that the bow's string appears to intersect the Statue's wrist near the base of the thumb.

The only other critique I have is there is no obvious support for the statue on this fountain.  I see her leg touching one edge of the fountain bowl and a metal piece in the base of the fountain by her foot but I don't think that would not be enough.  These archers are on one leg but their centre of gravity is located over that leg.

Overall it is a very nice image.  Well done.

You have posed your archer very well.  I cannot find anything to suggest as far as your archer's pose compared to the reference image.

I did notice, or it could be the camera angle, that the bow's string appears to intersect the Statue's wrist near the base of the thumb.

The only other critique I have is there is no obvious support for the statue on this fountain.  I see her leg touching one edge of the fountain bowl and a metal piece in the base of the fountain by her foot but I don't think that would not be enough.  These archers are on one leg but their centre of gravity is located over that leg.

Overall it is a very nice image.  Well done.

Thanks, Kismet, for the feedback. I'll check on the bow string. I fought that whole arm a fair bit to get it to look right and I might need to tweak the hand or bow a bit. As for the the support for the statue...I actually debated this quite a bit. I originally had another support from the center of the fountain, but it hits the statue in a rather awkward place. I decided to leave the support out and leave an element of mystery in just how the statue is being supported, suggesting some kind of internal structure. Here is a real-life example of such a concept:

I realize it isn't completely realistic for a supposedly stone statue to be supported like this, but I think it looks "cooler" and that is one of the beauties of working in a vitual vs. real-world environment! 

That said, I highly value the experience of the community. If you think it is too fantastical, please say so and I will take that into consideration in the next version. Thanks again for the helpful feedback.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,528

The archer is posed perfectly. Agree with the others you need something to support it.

• Rae134Rae134 Posts: 49

actually, I dissagree, I don't see a need for more support. You do have a metal pole in her foot and her leg is resting on the edge of the fountain (I think), and it is a vitual piece so you can do what you like, thats the beauty of 3D art :D (its just a shame its hidden in the shadow that you can't see it that well, if you moved the lighting just a fraction so it shows more does it affect the mood you were going for?)

• Something is missing but this is what I came up with

Just my hands i'm going from memory mostly i've added a background and just waiting for the render to finish

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,376

I think it's fine without additional support, too. This is a posing contest. If you nail the pose, what else matters? You could delete every thing other than the statue and be even closer to the original.

• Security16Security16 Posts: 79
    edited March 2016

Something is missing but this is what I came up with

Just my hands i'm going from memory mostly i've added a background and just waiting for the render to finish

I found a reference picture that isa something close to what I am doing I have added a background and it's still in progress 

not 2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Security16 on
    Rae134 said:

actually, I dissagree, I don't see a need for more support. You do have a metal pole in her foot and her leg is resting on the edge of the fountain (I think), and it is a vitual piece so you can do what you like, thats the beauty of 3D art :D (its just a shame its hidden in the shadow that you can't see it that well, if you moved the lighting just a fraction so it shows more does it affect the mood you were going for?)

You are right. Her leg is touching the fountain just below the knee. It actually places the fountain slightly off center to get it to do that. Are you referring to the statue being in too much shadow or the support? I actually wanted the statue to be in shadow with the sun setting just off camera rather than having her fully lit from the front.

frank0314 said:

The archer is posed perfectly. Agree with the others you need something to support it.

An ideas so it doesn't look like she has a post coming out of her rear end or a big ugly pole in front of the fountain? I tried those options and they don't look good at all. I am open to suggestions.

• Rae134Rae134 Posts: 49
    Holloko said:
    Rae134 said:

You are right. Her leg is touching the fountain just below the knee. It actually places the fountain slightly off center to get it to do that. Are you referring to the statue being in too much shadow or the support? I actually wanted the statue to be in shadow with the sun setting just off camera rather than having her fully lit from the front.

The support is in deep shadow and because you don't really notice it, I think this is where the comments to add a support is from. I don't know if just shifing the light a little so the support is not in shadow would effect the lighting of the statue too much as I do like the shadow of the statue. I can live with it like it is, but it sounds like the others cant :D hehehe

Holloko said:
    frank0314 said:

An ideas so it doesn't look like she has a post coming out of her rear end or a big ugly pole in front of the fountain? I tried those options and they don't look good at all. I am open to suggestions.

It is your image Holloko.  I can completely understand not wanting a pole located in an unfortunate location.  But after seeing the picture of the Alien statue you posted I can see what you have done could work if it is anchored properly.

Any feedback from anyone is just a suggestion.  It is your image and your vision.  Regardless of what you decide to do it is a great image.