Futuristic Glass Elevator and Building Kit - in the store! :) [Commercial]

Comments

• Chanteur-de-VentChanteur-de-Vent Posts: 566
    edited June 2016

Ok, dumping the pictures again, or there's going to be a lot of them in the end.

Done:

1. Chair
    2. Textured the Control Panel Screen  (hanging on the wall, 3 different textures). If for the last texture anyone wants a different percentage of the progress bar, tell me, I can still change it quite easily. 
    3. Made and textured Control Panel Screen Prop (in the hands of the girl, back and front). The glowing white one is the back of the panel.

Idea's are still welcome, but I'm getting close to the finish line. So please, the earlier, the better. 

Still to do:
    1.Glass Elevator tube
    2.Texture the lower part with blue glowing circles
    3.Give the keypad a touchscreen option with textures
    4.Add an exta plane at the bottom to make the bottom a separate material zone

Elevator_smooth_model127_real.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Elevator_smooth_model128_real.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Elevator_smooth_model129_real.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Elevator_smooth_model131_real.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Elevator_smooth_model132_real.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Chanteur-de-Vent on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Hi! =) These forums are an exercise in randomness... if only we could follow favourite users and get notified when they make new topics.

Anyway, ain't this one spiffy unit!

One question I have is - am I right thinking that the glass panels do have thickness? If they do, it's so awesome =) I'd so stick some slightly absorptive glass material there.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Looks fantastic!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

It just keeps getting better and better! As for the percentage screen, it might be nice to have more than one option.  I love the touch screen stuff!  The different doors look good.  Will all of those textures be an option or are you going to settle on just one or two?  So far, this is looking fantastic!

edited June 2016

Thanks, Kettu, Ice Dragon and Knittingmommy. 

Ok, here comes a lot of renders. I presume I finished all the wishes for now (last thing is making two more textures with the progress bar for control panel, but I won't post renders of that, since it's basically the same) and can go to promo renders. Unless someone still has some wishes/ideas. Giving this about a week time. 

1.Textures for the keypad in the touchscreen form

2. I'm afraid I can't reproduce the glowing circles anymore. Just can't get it good enough to make me happy. So I settled for glowing lines instead. And I also made the pipes glowing. What do you guys think?

Continious line:

Line with corners

3.Since both Kettu and Linwelly asked about the glass, here are a few examples with glass being more solid and frosted. The glass is basically two boxes (one bigger outside and one smaller inside). So it creates an illusion of a thickness. Making it more smooth didn't work out, you get very weird reflections if you opt for a thicker glass. 

Frosted glass

Solid glass

4.I made the glass elevator tube. Basically it's a three floors base, and if people really want I can split up the building blocks. At the moment I'm being lazy with it, it's one model. Both panels to call for an elevator as well as floor selection panel inside the elevator are fancy blue touchscreens.

Elevator Tube pictures:

5.Added a plane on the bottom, with its own material zone. Showing it in red just to prove it's different. ;)

To answer your question, Knittingmommy, I plan to include all of the textures shown for the door, the keypad and the control panel. The glass is shown solely for the technical purposes, but you can easily do it yourself. Those are just basic DAZ Iray glass shaders.

As for the extra percentages (control panel texture with the progress bar): is it ok if I make something like 20%, 50% and 90%? 

Please, guys, if you still have ideas/wishes, let me know. And thank you very much for all those who kept commenting, it helps a lot. I'm really grateful. 

Elevator_smooth_model187.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Elevator_smooth_model188.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Elevator_smooth_model197.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Elevator_smooth_model198.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Elevator_smooth_model209.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Elevator_smooth_model210.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Elevator_smooth_model211_real.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Elevator_smooth_model213.png
    1000 x 1200 - 966K
    Progress Sketches.jpg
    4096 x 5120 - 4M
    Elevator_smooth_model165-real.png
    1000 x 1200 - 676K

I went back to look at the earlier model and I have to say, I think  I like the glowing tubes better than the circles anyway!  I think all of the surfaces look great and I'm glad they will all be included.  Yeah, there are lots of different glass shaders and just having a default one probably works.  As for the percentages, I think those look like a nice variety and, although on for 100% would also be nice, I don't think it's critical to have it as the 90% more than shows progress. I think the elevator tube/shaft looks great!  Modular or in parts that can be used for longer or shorter tubes would be ideal if it can be done easily.  I love the touch screen for the outside lock panel!  Really nice job!

You have really done a superb job on this. I agree with KM if its easy, split them the shaft  but if not, don't stress about it.  And as she said there are a lot of glass shaders out there I wouldn't worry about more than a standard one or maybe two if you really felt you needed to.

• Wow! Just wow! How the heck have you got the time for this! It looks great, and I'm just super impressed :D

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095

I love this.  Simple idea, but well done.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562

I posted (what I think was) a detailed reply over on Deviant Art, but something else occured to me...

It would be nice to be able to use this as a bank of elevators. Preferably without you doing any additional work.

Those glowing tubes look fantastic!

Soooo if the glass is two boxes, where are their normals pointing? (what are you modeling in, BTW? I must have missed it in the thread). Because if they point the right way, it´s all it takes to make glass "right" that won't break in any renderer. So the outer box should have the normals pointing out, and the inner one - pointing in.

BTW you may want to check all the normals - it's "the" professional thing to do which is sadly often neglected in the DS/Poser world. Sometimes something happens during some modeling operation, and part of polys have their normals the wrong way - some renderers are more forgiving regarding this, and some - not that much.

...and I agree with Knittingmommy and Ice Dragon Art, splitting the shaft into building blocks would be superb (but if it introduces weird normal issues and the like, then don´t). 

edited June 2016

I received a lot of comments and suggestions of improvements in the last week, so the product will be elaborated a bit more. Unfortunately, my hard drive and my Windows installation decided to die and make my hdd a  huge mess. Long story short, my hard drive might be failing and my Windows installation is dead. At the moment I'm on Linux, so it might take some time till I come back with new updates. 

Thank you guys for all of your comments and suggestions.

What are version of Linux are you running?  Just curious as I recently switched from using Slackware because that's what my husband likes to Mint as that was something I could install and do whatever I like with it.  I do still have Slackware on the laptop for the moment, though.  I hope you have backups of everything!

• I'm on Ubuntu Studio. Which is very nice, since it's pre-packaged with all kinds of creative tools (like Krita, Blender and Gimp). Got DAZStudio 4.8 and 4.9 on it yesterday, but couldn't get CMS working. And I haven't tried rendering yet. Loading G3M is taking like a minute... 

Fortunately I have backups of most of the stuff. But some pictures from last week did get lost. You don't want to know how my drive looks like. It's a post-appocalyptic mess. 

Yeah, I've tried getting 4.8 loaded up in Mint, but not much luck.  I keep hitting stumbling blocks.  I can get to install, but it won't run.  And, no CMS.  I haven't tried 4.9 since I decided to go ahead an upgrade.  I'll be trying to do that whenever I manage to find the time.  I have seen where it has been done in the Linux thread so I'm hopeful I manage to get it up and running in Linux at some point.

• Just make sure you have the latest version of wine, and if it doesn't help, install wine-staging. Usually Linux comes standard with an older (but more stable) version of wine as an option. You'd have to download the newest one from the wine hq site.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095

Anything still happening with this?

• Yes, something is definitely happening, but much more than I anticipated in June. Basically I'm building a full environment set around the elevator, because I received a tip from a PA that DAZ might not be interested in an elevator alone.

But... it takes a lot of time. I have the bulk finished, and need some minor details added. I just keep slacking, because it's such a minor thing (a corridor) and rendering new shinies from Christmas sales is much more fun than modelling the last corridor in Hexagon. 

I have some super grainy pictures I could post, because rendering the full quasi promo's would take some time. If anyone wants to see that, I could post them. I also have a picture with the set used as blurred background, I could post that as a teaser. Or I'll post the more rendered ones once I'm finished and will make a call for beta testers. Which might take some time. Maybe I should set myself some deadlines again.

Anyway, thank you for asking. It does motivate to kick myself again and just finish it.

I would love to see where you are at on this.

• Well, then, get back to work!  Would love to see this finished.  Yeah, I can understand why DAZ would probably rather have a full set rather than just a cool elevator.  I can still a couple of interesting scenes I could do with just the elevator, though, so hopefully, it stays kitbashable.  :)  Good luck.

edited January 2017

Way too many pictures, but ach. 

First part, the shaft (can be build for as many floors as you like, parts are separate):

The tunnel is still in doodle-state. I'm brainstorming about what to add. Doors are slide-doors and probably need some glowing blue lines textures. 

Then there is the building with the elevator build in:

The walls are separate, so are the floor/ceilings. The fountain is a separate prop. The staircase has a mirrored option (with logically removing the barrier upstairs on the right side and moving it to the left side.) The walls come in four shapes: the glass wall, the wall with a big door in the middle, the wall with a small door on the side and the wall with those blue fancy windows. 

I need to tweek a bit the scales, since the staircase is now hanging in the air. But that's for when I'm going to finally compile the .DUF files, for now everything is in .OBJ form.

I probably need to add some way to have two elevators instead of one (with two holes for two elevator tubes). And make a table so that the chair can be used. 

Feedback is welcome. Might speed me up. wink

SemiPromo1-79p.png
    1200 x 1000 - 2M
    SemiPromo2-100p.png
    1200 x 1000 - 2M
    SemiPromo3-99p.png
    1200 x 1000 - 2M
    Sketch164-elevator-shaft.png
    1200 x 1000 - 2M
    Sketch165-elevator-shaft.png
    1200 x 1000 - 3M
    Sketch163-elevator-shaft.png
    1200 x 1000 - 3M
    Sketch180-elevator-shaft-real.png
    1200 x 1000 - 2M
    Sketch179-elevator-shaft.png
    1200 x 1000 - 2M
    Sketch30-elevator-room.png
    1200 x 1000 - 3M
    edited February 2017

Ok, guys, the set is as good as finished. Since most of the stuff I changed from the previously posted pictures is minor, I'm calling it done and am calling for beta testers. The full fleshed promo's will be done after the beta test is finished, in case I missed some major problem and need to change things.

So, I'm looking for about 8-10 beta testers. 

1. About 5 normal DAZStudio Iray users
    2. 1-2 Users of Reality and/or Lux 
    3. 1-2 Users of Poser to see how the .obj import into the program and render in Poser 

For the moment the set is Iray only. If you're using more than one engine - bonus points for you, means you can qualify for two spots on the list. 

Rules:
    1.Don't share this product anywhere with anyone, especially not online (speaks for itself ;))
    2.Don't share your renders with it publically until I've submitted it to the DAZ shop and at least got a positive response. I would like to keep it contained
    3.You are more than welcome to make artistic renders with it and send it to me through private messages
    4.You get the product for free, so no "delete after beta test" small print. If the product gets accepted to DAZ I'll try to make sure it will appear in your Product library as a gift.
    5.I reserve the right to deny to beta test requests (in case the spots are full or I have enough testers for your render engine of choice)

If you're interested send me a PM with the mention of your engine choice either through forums or on DeviantArt (link in the sig). 

@<Ice Dragon Art> - are you still in for a beta test? Please confirm. :)

I give up, how do I reference users with spaces in the username???

Current state:

Iray slots: full
    Lux/Reality slots: full
    Poser slots: 1 free

Absolutely yes please! 

I can test it on both 4.8 and 4.9 as well and I have a couple other beta tests under my belt now so I have a better idea of what to look for as well.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

If you are interested in making textures for 3Delight for Daz Studio 4.9, I am happy to assist with Beta testing in that engine.  There are still lots of us 3DL users out there, and you will add customers if you choose to go this route.  I still see comments (complaints rather) from 3DL users about items that are for Iray only.

Let me know.

• @Ice Dragon Art  - you're in. Once the test group is complete, I'll send out the zip link. I just want to minimize the time it spends online.

@dracorn - I understand your point and thank you for your offer. I'll do some tests in the next couple of days, to see if I can manage something remotely close to current Iray results in 3Delight. Although I'm not quite sure 3Delight won't chuck on the amount of glass in the building.  I'll let you know if I decide to make a 3Delight material set.

• If you want someone else to make a 3Delight material, light set and render preset, you know whom to ask ;)

Whenever your ready is fine with me, I'm usually around.

• Ok, guys, the set is as good as finished. Since most of the stuff I changed from the previously posted pictures is minor, I'm calling it done and am calling for beta testers. The full fleshed promo's will be done after the beta test is finished, in case I missed some major problem and need to change things.

snip

@<Ice Dragon Art> - are you still in for a beta test? Please confirm. :)

I give up, how do I reference users with spaces in the username???

I have no idea, but if you find out let us all know.  I've been trying to figure that out forever!