You've been heard. Response re: 4.9 and Encryption

Comments

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    Petercat said:
    lx said:

Question: say you buy an item now, with whatever rights come with it (rendering images usually.) No encryption, you have the files, paid for, etc. Obviously having bought and now "owning" the item doesn't mean it's yours to do with as you wish and claim it's your own - but can the artist then change their terms post sale so that you are for example no longer allowed to use the item in renders? Or are the terms at time of sale the only binding ones?

(This is relevant for encrypted content.)

When you purchased it, in effect, you entered into a contract with whoever had the rights to sell it to you. That contract cannot be changed unless both parties (You and the seller) agree to the changes. So, no, the artist can only change the terms for sales made after the change.

Right so then we do "own" it in the sense that we got what we paid for with the terms we paid for it and that cannot later be changed on you (unless you are breaking the terms yourself of course.)

And encryption takes that guarantee away. Yeah... no. That sort of content really isn't worth much to me. I buy my products because I want the licence to use them. Not to hope that nothing ever changes and I don't some day stop being able to use them. The only exception would be if I actually really needed an asset right now for a project, and paid for it knowing I was renting it while I did that project with no expectation to keep it.

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    acanthis said:

look again and think

The words that strike absolute terror in the heart of any marketing people laugh.

• DRM does not limit those who don't pay, but it limits those who do pay. I have a certain way to sort my files. The DRM files make a mess of that which plays havoc with my OCD.

I'll be watching for now what happens but I will not buy anything else that is just available as DRM files.

• DRM does not limit those who don't pay, but it limits those who do pay. I have a certain way to sort my files. The DRM files make a mess of that which plays havoc with my OCD.

I'll be watching for now what happens but I will not buy anything else that is just available as DRM files.

Even before connect I had given up on organising my content files directly - I just treated the whole real DS content directory as like the Data folder, asset files that needed to be left in place - and was isntead creating shortcut scripts that could be moved arounbd in a separate folder and tagged with the data type. The .djl shortcuts to the files installed using Connect work in exactly the same way (except that, unlike my scripts, they keep the content-type tag when moved). I yield to no-one in the CD department, but I think Connect is manageable - and will be more so if I manage to script the creation of .djl links already in folders, rather than having to drag and drop (which script I will, if it's reliable, make available).

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited January 2016
    Chohole said:

So confusing, got two different answers in 2 different threads.

so, Is this correct ?

It is encrypted at DAZ, if I DOWNLOAD it to my hard drive, that version is un-encrypted and stays that way.

So that even if I do not have an internet connection live I will be able to work with the stuff I have on hard drive regardless.

as long as I already downloaded it

yes / no ?

From the FAQ

• Does Daz Studio 4.9 require me to be online to use Daz Connect installed content?

You are not required to be online to use products installed using Daz Connect.

You are required to connect at least once to validate your account, but you can work offline from that point forward. However, working offline will not allow you to benefit from using live product and metadata updates, installing content from our servers, or using the Store page in the Smart Content pane.

Also, repying to this point, from another of your posts

then you don't own it, you are only renting it.. 

You do not actually own the product, you purchase a license to use the product.  That is fact now, has always been fact.  Daz 3D or the PA "Owns" the product.

Indeed, but the result of the no DRM is like owning - we can use however we wish (bearing in ming the EULA).

Now despite the EULA allowing us to use it, the DRM system may decide we cant because something has changed. The DRM takes presedence in this case and so in effect it is a rental system with efforced terms of rental.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    acanthis said:

An interesting side effect of all this is that I have adopted a new purchasing pattern that has saved me quite a lot of money this month. It goes without saying that DRM'd products are unpurchasable for me, and that will never change, but what about the non-DRM items? Well, one thing that has stopped is the "Instabuy". I am now concerned that any product marked as non-DRM have been marked that way as the result of a mistake, so I leave a couple of days to let DAZ make corrections before considering moving it into the cart. And then, guess what? Some of the things I was thinking of buying, would have just bought pre-DRM Day, I look again and think: "No, I don't really need that."

So, out of this dreadful mess, I say thank you to Steve Spencer - for the first time DAZ really is saving me money!

Indeed.

I tried to get a refund on a partially used gift card; I couldn't, which wasn't a surprise (as I'd started using it), so once its gone; bye bye platinum club. Which will save me more money still. My PC membership expires in march, but not stressed about the last month.

• Nester751Nester751 Posts: 381

DRM is like the giant wasteful sealed plastic placed around many products to reduce shoplifting. In essence it punishes (and with sharp plastic) sometimes injures loyal customers. It doesn't stop shoplifting at all.  I've seen that shoplifters simply palm a razor blade and cut through the plastic in seconds. I only caught the criminal in the act because I happened to be moving through an isle on my way to the office. Seeing elderly customers who've gotten home with plasticed sealed products (these were family and older friends) struggle to open their purchases and sometimes get cut (if I didn't interrupt and help). In video games it's a death blow to big budget titles.  Today you've lost sales from me (on the new content) as even though the items have manual install, I was unsure if they'd work in Daz 4.8 (given the poor wording). Here's a tip to vendors, if your products work in earlier versions of D/S, please have them listed on the product page. It'll help sales of said items. Five seconds of work to type under software Daz 4.9, Daz 4.8 and better sales. If Daz won't let you call for the listing, tell them you want it. Many users will stick with D/S 4.8 for as long as they can due to the encryption. I purchased a couple of non-encrypted items that were leaving the store. But $30 plus dollar sale gone due to poor wording and encryption.

edited January 2016

DRM does not limit those who don't pay, but it limits those who do pay. I have a certain way to sort my files. The DRM files make a mess of that which plays havoc with my OCD.

Even before connect I had given up on organising my content files directly - I just treated the whole real DS content directory as like the Data folder, asset files that needed to be left in place - and was isntead creating shortcut scripts that could be moved arounbd in a separate folder and tagged with the data type. The .djl shortcuts to the files installed using Connect work in exactly the same way (except that, unlike my scripts, they keep the content-type tag when moved). I yield to no-one in the CD department, but I think Connect is manageable - and will be more so if I manage to script the creation of .djl links already in folders, rather than having to drag and drop (which script I will, if it's reliable, make available).

I'm having issues seeing the motivation in adopting a system I don't want that doesn't help me that I can "manage to mitigate the effects of" vs. a perfectly logical system that worked fine. And while developed with all good intentions for new users, the rest of us have to put up with it while knowing that such a system being developed can only mean the old system will eventually go away (because having two systems is dumb, too confusing, and too much work) so sooner or later we'll all be at the mercy of whether Studio decides to remember it has some metadata or not. 

Sure you can make it not as bad to use, but why would you want to put yourself in a position to have to do that? Using Studio shouldn't be about learning to deal with the program controlling everything and overwriting/losing metadata. 

It'd have been a lot better to just standardise all products with the same file sorting rules so that once you learned one product you learned them all, instead of fishing around for whatever new way the PA decided to arrange their content this time (and take away file move commands within Studio so that people who didn't know what they were doing wouldn't drag files around, breaking other scripts.)

Post edited by lx_2807502 on
  • Khory said:

Sorry to interrupt your encryption discussion but... is there any timeframe for when I can find the new stuff that now only is in the Smart Content in my Content Library again? Or did I miss that this already works and I just have to do some simple thing in Order to get to this?

Edit: forgot to say "Thanks for reimplementing that!"

Go to smart content. Select the product tab at the top of the list and then select All.  Select the available tab at the bottom. Then at the top of the pane (the one with all the thumbnail images by the way) you can select to sort in a variety of ways. One is "Sort by order date:recent first". That will put your newest purchases at the top of the list.

Thanks khory... for now it's not the problem to find the stuff I recently bought, but I'd really prefer to have all my content available through the Content Library since I prefer the sorting method in "My Library" (stuff sorted by figure) instead of the sorting method in Smart Content... besides there seems to be only the stuff in it that I had to install after I installed 4.9 ... all my other stuff doesn't show up in smart content. which surely is mendable, but... heck I'd just like to be able to use the Content Library tab for everything :)

• lx said:

DRM does not limit those who don't pay, but it limits those who do pay. I have a certain way to sort my files. The DRM files make a mess of that which plays havoc with my OCD.

I'm having issues seeing the motivation in adopting a system I don't want that doesn't help me that I can "manage to mitigate the effects of" vs. a perfectly logical system that worked fine. And while developed with all good intentions for new users, the rest of us have to put up with it while knowing that such a system being developed can only mean the old system will eventually go away (because having two systems is dumb, too confusing, and too much work) so sooner or later we'll all be at the mercy of whether Studio decides to remember it has some metadata or not. 

Sure you can make it not as bad to use, but why would you want to put yourself in a position to have to do that? Using Studio shouldn't be about learning to deal with the program controlling everything and overwriting/losing metadata. 

It'd have been a lot better to just standardise all products with the same file sorting rules so that once you learned one product you learned them all, instead of fishing around for whatever new way the PA decided to arrange their content this time (and take away file move commands within Studio so that people who didn't know what they were doing wouldn't drag files around, breaking other scripts.)

The trouible is, it wasn't working for a lot of users. We don't have to rely on what CS reports to tbe the most common issue in tickets, we can see a lot of people having issuse in the forum. Connect, with the nice big (open by default I hope) Installation pane seems a good bet. I wouldn't necessarily write DIM off for (unencrypted) new content - I suspect that theer are tools which produce both connect and DIM packages in one go, so the complexity should be limited.

lx said:

The trouible is, it wasn't working for a lot of users. We don't have to rely on what CS reports to tbe the most common issue in tickets, we can see a lot of people having issuse in the forum. Connect, with the nice big (open by default I hope) Installation pane seems a good bet. I wouldn't necessarily write DIM off for (unencrypted) new content - I suspect that theer are tools which produce both connect and DIM packages in one go, so the complexity should be limited.

I suppose it all depends how it's presented to new users. Right now it's confusing for those changing over. When I started using Studio, Smart Content was really helpful in learning what files went with what (i.e. that a model had material settings, etc.) but after a day or so I wanted to organise things myself. IF everything new gets orgnaised in a standardised way (Daz figures being different from PA figures for material locations doesn't help) then I can see it working well for new users. But I suspect older content will always be a pain unless it gets a huge overhaul. I dunno, I see the point of Connect; I just think there were simpler solutions. Not to mention that if they want to shop elsewhere, new users have to learn a whole new system of installing that has all the old issues that you pointed out. 

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    lx said:

I've seen quite a few people having issues with 4.9 and Connect in the forums these last few days.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,904

Another factor is that the cost of DRM isn't just inconvenience, it's the cost of development and maintenance. Every hour some coder or software engineer spent working on Encryption was an hour they weren't spending on stuff we've wanted for a long time.

That's another point of resentment, because you know what else encourages customers to give vendors hard-earned money to put food on their tables? A better core product.

• bad4u said:

I did not comment on previous thread and instead decided to wait what you guys come up with, hoping you might overthink your DRM decision. I don't have a problem with encryption, but will never spend a dollar on DRM protected content here as I've already seen too many users being the fools in the end when it comes to DRM. I know some users don't believe or care, they might have to learn the hard way some day, as any risk on DRM is only with the user and their investment. And no, your 'poison pill' doesn't change my mind or feelings about DRM.

Still I'm fine with your decision and I'll be going to support those PA who release no-DRM content in future - if DAZ will still let them do. If not, I'll carry my money elsewhere.

Good luck anyone with their decisions.

Yup... I've lost track of how much music I lost to DRM-only services and ended up buying again as mp3 files, audio-books that won't play because the server is down, trying to access them on a different device and being told "you've already downloaded this".  Yeah-yeah, it could be somebody's else phone but it's annoying because I really wanted it on my phone, not my desktop.  I'm disappointed that I won't be continuing to use DAZ Studio after rediscovering it with DS4.8. I love Genesis 3 and IRay.  But not enough to accept DRM.  So back to Poser I go and an occassional render in 4.8.

• tl155180 said:
    lx said:

I've seen quite a few people having issues with 4.9 and Connect in the forums these last few days.

Yes, the basic idea is good (though I admit I'm still mostly using DIM until I figure out a good back-up strategy) but it is a bit too unobvious coming in cold - that's why I said the Instalaltion pane mentioned in Steve's post was going to be needed.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    tl155180 said:
    lx said:

Yes, the basic idea is good (though I admit I'm still mostly using DIM until I figure out a good back-up strategy) but it is a bit too unobvious coming in cold - that's why I said the Instalaltion pane mentioned in Steve's post was going to be needed.

Ah - I mis-read your comment. Sorry.

• gregbogregbo Posts: 39
    acanthis said:

An interesting side effect of all this is that I have adopted a new purchasing pattern that has saved me quite a lot of money this month. It goes without saying that DRM'd products are unpurchasable for me, and that will never change, but what about the non-DRM items? Well, one thing that has stopped is the "Instabuy". I am now concerned that any product marked as non-DRM have been marked that way as the result of a mistake, so I leave a couple of days to let DAZ make corrections before considering moving it into the cart. And then, guess what? Some of the things I was thinking of buying, would have just bought pre-DRM Day, I look again and think: "No, I don't really need that."

So, out of this dreadful mess, I say thank you to Steve Spencer - for the first time DAZ really is saving me money!

+1

• lx said:

And this, in the end, is the bottom line for me. I've gone over and on about this whole Connect thing with myself (don't judge smiley) and even with finding out there is a way to manage my files even if I decide to use Connect (thanks to a very smart Bee smiley) it came down to this.

Why should I have to?!

And the answer to myself (again, don't judge LOL) was: I don't!

The new system is great for the new people? Cool! Bravo! I really mean that. But we should be allowed to make that choice. My problems with 4.9 started long before the encryption part. I got stuck at the whole Connect premise so the rest was put aside.

So as I said in another thread, I stay with DIM, happily managing my files, 4.8 and 4.9 programs and plug ins backed up as well as all files and folders and go back to making pictures.

That's the bottom line folks... we don't have to move to their new system. Daz is hearing but not really and so be it.

PS: Let's stop firing shots at Daz_Steve. He's doing his job and jobs are hard to come by. He's getting the scripts from the PTB and he's just the unlucky one who's name is on these posts.

lx said:

And this, in the end, is the bottom line for me. I've gone over and on about this whole Connect thing with myself (don't judge smiley) and even with finding out there is a way to manage my files even if I decide to use Connect (thanks to a very smart Bee smiley) it came down to this.

Why should I have to?!

And the answer to myself (again, don't judge LOL) was: I don't!

The new system is great for the new people? Cool! Bravo! I really mean that. But we should be allowed to make that choice. My problems with 4.9 started long before the encryption part. I got stuck at the whole Connect premise so the rest was put aside.

So as I said in another thread, I stay with DIM, happily managing my files, 4.8 and 4.9 programs and plug ins backed up as well as all files and folders and go back to making pictures.

That's the bottom line folks... we don't have to move to their new system. Daz is hearing but not really and so be it.

PS: Let's stop firing shots at Daz_Steve. He's doing his job and jobs are hard to come by. He's getting the scripts from the PTB and he's just the unlucky one who's name is on these posts.

I don't think anyone's firing shots at DAZ_Steve. There was one issue with one person a day or two ago and that was resolved by both of them. Without wishing to become one who speculates, I doubt DAZ_Steve has much say in this overarching plan to save us all from these terrible losses incurred by those pirating scallywags.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

Poser users might like to Google "interview-with-charles-taylor-about-drm-and-poser-software"

Wow, and people were complaining about Daz's corporate-speak. That's an interview, in the same way the New York Times’ sponsored content are articles.

I mean didn't the game dev version have a whole thing where it had to periodically phone home?

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,318

Remember SM do make some money from content sales via Content Paradise (assuming this is still owned by SM, I believe it is). How much those sales are compared to the money made on Poser, and its other software programs, I have absolutely no idea.

• One more thing. This should be an exciting time for us all! Iray in DS, a character randomizer, texture convertors and down the road a new dynamics system.

Let's get on with the good things! And if it means not moving past 4.8 or 4.9 without connect it's ok. laugh

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,318

One more thing. This should be an exciting time for us all! Iray in DS, a character randomizer, texture convertors and down the road a new dynamics system.

Let's get on with the good things! And if it means not moving past 4.8 or 4.9 without connect it's ok. laugh

new dynamics system?? Where have you seen that mentioned?

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,116

One more thing. This should be an exciting time for us all! Iray in DS, a character randomizer, texture convertors and down the road a new dynamics system.

+1

I'm having a blast with these new toys :)

• Havos said:

new dynamics system?? Where have you seen that mentioned?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/69686/interested-in-a-new-cloth-sim-plug-in-for-daz-studio-and-carrara#latest

smiley

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

The escrow company is a great idea to reduce one area of concern.  In addition to the content deencryption, could that same company also in some way handle the DAZ Studio and plugin activation keys (or is there even a need to do that... I can't remember if the key simply needs to be entered for activation or if it requires connecting to DAZ during activation.)

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354

"You've been heard."

Correction: You've been 100% completely ignored.

LOL.  Well, the DAZ response has been read and also completely ignored.  I will never purchase encrypted content and neither will a lot of others on here.  Don't worry about what the marketing VP says--vote "NO" with your wallet.

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354
    edited January 2016

Deleted due double post.  Wonder if we will ever be able to do this ourselves in these forums.

Post edited by Fragg1960 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Fragg1960 said:

Deleted due double post.  Wonder if we will ever be able to do this ourselves in these forums.

I doubt it, because nothing is ever actually deleted, it is simply moved elsewhere.  

• sriesch said:

The escrow company is a great idea to reduce one area of concern.  In addition to the content deencryption, could that same company also in some way handle the DAZ Studio and plugin activation keys (or is there even a need to do that... I can't remember if the key simply needs to be entered for activation or if it requires connecting to DAZ during activation.)

You just need your serial number to activate DS itself and Daz plug-ins - the ones with more complex activation methods are not Daz products. I would always advise keeping a record of serial numbers. I don't think the escrow could help as it will, from what I am gathering, have a genric decryption tool - it won't havea ccount details per user, so no way to give serials.

This discussion has been closed.