SimTenero Randomizer OMG!!

Comments

• simtenerosimtenero Posts: 383
    barbult said:

I don't think the randomizer export process is behaving as described above. Above, it says "Export Shape calls up Daz's built in "Save As Shaping Preset" dialog, which will respect your "Use Limits" settings."

For me, the export does NOT seem to respect my "Use Limits" settings. The saved preset file has all sorts of parameter values that are outside the limits of their respective morph sliders. When the randomizer is run, the limits are respected, and the morphs displayed in the Currently Used section are all within limits. But, when the saved export is reapplied with Limits Off, the shape does not match the originally exported shape. The Currently Used section now shows all sorts of morphs with values outside the limits. If the limits had been respected during the export, reimporting with Limits Off or Limits On should have been identical, I would think.

Look what happened to my lovely lady when I reapplied the exported shape with limits off. She has turned into a drag queen.surprise

LOL!  Wow, that really illustrates the point :-)  Thank you for pointing this out, I'll have to do some digging and see if there's a way to be more clear about when/where limits come into play.  What I meant by "calls up Daz's built in" shape saver is that I didn't try to reinvent that particular wheel.  You can invoke Studio's asset manager to save files, rather than having to write out the entire DUF inside the script.  This seems to work well in most circumstances, but as demonstrated by your lovely lady above, there may be a better solution I'm not seeing just yet.  I will keep it on my "big list o' things to tinker with."

Thanks all for the new renders!!!  Artini, showing off the results with different materials really makes the differences pop!  And Ice Dragon Art, beatiful render!  I like the embossed look on her top.

I've been using this a lot with G3F and G3M.  Zev0's Shape Shift morphs work really well with both and for G3F I've had lots of great results with Dogz' "200 Plus" morphs.  I've also got a giant batch of my own custom sculpts that work well (and I may get around to packaging them up for release one of these days :-P ).

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited January 2016

Here is another - Gen 2.  This is one of my top faves so far.

Danicka Character Gen 2F.png
    504 x 504 - 381K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    simtenero said:
    barbult said:

I don't think the randomizer export process is behaving as described above. Above, it says "Export Shape calls up Daz's built in "Save As Shaping Preset" dialog, which will respect your "Use Limits" settings."

For me, the export does NOT seem to respect my "Use Limits" settings. The saved preset file has all sorts of parameter values that are outside the limits of their respective morph sliders. When the randomizer is run, the limits are respected, and the morphs displayed in the Currently Used section are all within limits. But, when the saved export is reapplied with Limits Off, the shape does not match the originally exported shape. The Currently Used section now shows all sorts of morphs with values outside the limits. If the limits had been respected during the export, reimporting with Limits Off or Limits On should have been identical, I would think.

Look what happened to my lovely lady when I reapplied the exported shape with limits off. She has turned into a drag queen.surprise

LOL!  Wow, that really illustrates the point :-)  Thank you for pointing this out, I'll have to do some digging and see if there's a way to be more clear about when/where limits come into play.  What I meant by "calls up Daz's built in" shape saver is that I didn't try to reinvent that particular wheel.  You can invoke Studio's asset manager to save files, rather than having to write out the entire DUF inside the script.  This seems to work well in most circumstances, but as demonstrated by your lovely lady above, there may be a better solution I'm not seeing just yet.  I will keep it on my "big list o' things to tinker with."

Thanks all for the new renders!!!  Artini, showing off the results with different materials really makes the differences pop!  And Ice Dragon Art, beatiful render!  I like the embossed look on her top.

I've been using this a lot with G3F and G3M.  Zev0's Shape Shift morphs work really well with both and for G3F I've had lots of great results with Dogz' "200 Plus" morphs.  I've also got a giant batch of my own custom sculpts that work well (and I may get around to packaging them up for release one of these days :-P ).

My observation is that the randomizer assigns morph values without checking the individual limits of each morph. For example, if a morph has limits of 0 to 1, the randomizer may set a value of -.5 anyway. At the time the randomizer is run, Daz Studio respects the limits and ignores any morph that the randomizer attempted to set outside the limits. That morph does not show up in the Currently Used list and does not affect the shape of the character. When the Export button saves the random values, it again does not check the individual morph limits and saves all the out-of-limits values, even though they were not used to create the shape displayed in the viewport. Then when a user reapplies the exported shape with limits off, those saved out-of-limits values are applied. The resulting shape does not match the original.

I think there is a simple, logical solution, but I don't know the complexity of implementation. I believe the randomizer should abide by the same constraints placed upon a user dialing the morph manually. If a morph has limits, the randomizer should use the limits of the morph as lower and upper bounds for the randomized value. As long as the randomizer respects limits in the values it assigns, export should have only valid in-limits values to export. Then Export would truly respect limits.

barbult said:
    simtenero said:
    barbult said:

My observation is that the randomizer assigns morph values without checking the individual limits of each morph. For example, if a morph has limits of 0 to 1, the randomizer may set a value of -.5 anyway. At the time the randomizer is run, Daz Studio respects the limits and ignores any morph that the randomizer attempted to set outside the limits. That morph does not show up in the Currently Used list and does not affect the shape of the character. When the Export button saves the random values, it again does not check the individual morph limits and saves all the out-of-limits values, even though they were not used to create the shape displayed in the viewport. Then when a user reapplies the exported shape with limits off, those saved out-of-limits values are applied. The resulting shape does not match the original.

I think there is a simple, logical solution, but I don't know the complexity of implementation. I believe the randomizer should abide by the same constraints placed upon a user dialing the morph manually. If a morph has limits, the randomizer should use the limits of the morph as lower and upper bounds for the randomized value. As long as the randomizer respects limits in the values it assigns, export should have only valid in-limits values to export. Then Export would truly respect limits.

Thank you for the feedback!  The detail you've provided from your testing is awesome.

Hello All,

I've recieved the notification that the scipt update is through testing and should be live now!  I've also included a PDF user guide this time around.  Just a reminder, this update includes a fix for the Randomize behavior when the "Zero Before Randomizing" box is unchecked (results should be cumulitive when its unchecked now). It also includes the Undo button.  The new button will only show when its available, so if you don't see it when you first load the script, no worries, it'll pop up the first timme you hit randomize! (again, that's iin the current version, if you aren't seeing it, check Install Manager to see if you've got the latest version).  It's only a single level of undo (can go back one result), but I hope you find it a useful addition to your workflow.

Thank you so much for all the great feedback!

• Tim NTim N Posts: 193
    edited January 2016

[deleted]

Post edited by Tim N on
    edited January 2016

I got the update today, thank you! The bug fix and the added undo feature seem to be working well. I made this guy, starting with Genesis 3 Male and randomizing head and body morphs. I even randomized the hair styling morphs.

Vacation in Paradise.jpg
    988 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited January 2016

Well, rats! I ran into a problem with the new Undo. When I reopened a scene file that I had used the randomizer on, and then ran the randomizer again, the undo did not undo one level; it made a mess of my character. This is what I did:

1. Start a new scene with G3M
    2. Run the randomizer
    3. Save the scene file
    4. Reopen the saved scene file (it looks correct)
    5. Run the randimizer again one time
    6. Select Undo
    7. It does not undo the one random change. It makes a mess of my character. crying
    1) Previous randomized reopened.jpg
    1627 x 1350 - 717K
    2) Randomizer applied.jpg
    1621 x 1356 - 935K
    3) Result of Undo.jpg
    1627 x 1347 - 930K

Another Undo problem. Every time I apply a random morph to Michael 7 and then Undo it, Michael 7 gets taller. This is very simple to reproduce:

1. Load Michael 7. He loads with a scale factor of 102%.
    2. Run the randomizer and apply a random morph one time.
    3. Undo.
    4. Notice that Michael 7 is now taller. He is now scaled to 104%.
    5. Run the randomizer and apply a random morph one time.
    6. Undo.
    7. Notice that Michael 7 is now taller. He is now scaled to 104%.
    8. ... he  grows 2% everytime I undo.
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    barbult said:

Another Undo problem. Every time I apply a random morph to Michael 7 and then Undo it, Michael 7 gets taller. This is very simple to reproduce:

3. Undo.
    6. Undo.

I'm prety sure, barbult, never does rendering, but just pretends wink... His(her?) mission is to find bugs /nod

nicstt said:
    barbult said:

3. Undo.
    6. Undo.

I'm prety sure, barbult, never does rendering, but just pretends wink... His(her?) mission is to find bugs /nod

Not True! Not True! :) I just find these things when I try to use the products I buy. I am very analytical, and notice when things are inconsistent or unexpected or just plain wrong. I am amazed often by the simple things that get through QA. (The correct pronoun for me is "her".)
  • I can understand barbult's tinkering.  I'm the least analytical person I know and, yet, I still love to tinker with products.  Besides, I've seen a few of barbult's renders and all of her tinkring does pay off into some very nice renders.yes

Thank you for the feedback! I'll definitely look into it (beautiful render, by the way!).

edited January 2016
    simtenero said:

Thank you for the feedback! I'll definitely look into it (beautiful render, by the way!).

Thanks. I hope you can find out what is wrong with the Undo.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I actually found a bug, or think I did; I'm trying to repeat it again after last night when I was tired.

I used it to change the face when I'd used the youth morph; I clicked the undo, and and the character shrunk - looked like a fairy in size (so shrunk to about 20% of size). Anyway I'll check it out tomorrow.

simtenero said:

Thanks. I hope you can find out what is wrong with the Undo.

nicstt said:

I actually found a bug, or think I did; I'm trying to repeat it again after last night when I was tired.

I used it to change the face when I'd used the youth morph; I clicked the undo, and and the character shrunk - looked like a fairy in size (so shrunk to about 20% of size). Anyway I'll check it out tomorrow.

That sounds like the same bug that I described above with Michael 7 getting larger when I Undo.

I wonder if the undo button is still trying to randomize when it goes backwards.  I haven't noticed any issues but I haven't hit the undo button much..  I don't have michael 7 so I can't try and duplicate.Or if its relative to only a previously saved file?  I hadn't noticed anything unusual the few times I did undo.  Will pay closer attention next time I get a chance to play.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

I noticed same behavior with Daz Dragon 3. Loads at 275%. First undo bumps it to 452%, second to 625%, 3rd to 800%, etc.

Okay I did three or four random characters.  Saved as a character preset.  also saved as a scene subset.  closed out the randomizer, closed out the character or subset.  Reloaded said characters and scene subsets (one a time not all at once).  I have a ton of morphs selected and i have checked all three boxed ignore left and right, zero between and randomize selections.  randomize once, undo.  All four times my character looked exactly the same.  I wonder if it has to do with a certain morph then that maybe I don't have?  I did all gen2females because that's what i have the most morphs for.  I did not however check the height although all four seemed to be the same general size. If they shrank or got bigger it was not noticeable to the naked eye (I did not have the height map loaded. Don't know if that helps at all or not.

Thank you all so much for testing!  I need to do some testing myself, but I've got a hunch.  Some morphs also apply scale modifiers.  Let's use Genesis as an example.  The youth morph sets the figure's scale to 54%.  The undo function makes a note of all of a figures current settings; Scale = 54%, Youth Morph = 100%.  When you click undo, it sets the scale back to 54%, then sets the youth morph morph to 100% which, in turn, adjusts the scale again (in that example, the scale ends up at 8%!).

Again, that's just my best guess right now, but I'll try to confirm.  The real challenge is that any morph could conceivably alter any other parameter when it's applied.  Honestly, I can't say for certain right now that I'm going to be able to compensate for that, but I will definitely experiment and see if I can!

simtenero said:

Thank you all so much for testing!  I need to do some testing myself, but I've got a hunch.  Some morphs also apply scale modifiers.  Let's use Genesis as an example.  The youth morph sets the figure's scale to 54%.  The undo function makes a note of all of a figures current settings; Scale = 54%, Youth Morph = 100%.  When you click undo, it sets the scale back to 54%, then sets the youth morph morph to 100% which, in turn, adjusts the scale again (in that example, the scale ends up at 8%!).

Again, that's just my best guess right now, but I'll try to confirm.  The real challenge is that any morph could conceivably alter any other parameter when it's applied.  Honestly, I can't say for certain right now that I'm going to be able to compensate for that, but I will definitely experiment and see if I can!

If scale is not a "morph" that the randomizer changes directly, why do you have the Undo change the scale value? The Undo should not change any setting that the randomizer does not directly affect. If Undo left the scale alone, restoring the Youth morph would restore the scale correctly, wouldn't it?

As far as Undo messing up my character on a reloaded scene, I suspect it goes back to the issue of the randomizer not respecting limits when setting the random values in the first place, but I have no test evidence to prove that hunch. It is just a guess and something you could investigate. I hope a solution is found. Thanks for sticking with this to try to get things working as you intended.

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577
    edited January 2016

I'm very pleased with where this product has taken my workflow. I find that with this utility I've lost any interest in buying new characters.

It would be great if there were a way to save the random seed along with the morph list settings. You could also use the random seed to increase the levels of undo. Being able to change from a uniform to normal distribution of random numbers might help smooth out some of the differences and allow one to create "related" morphs (i.e. morphs that look similar but with variations). 

Edit: My mistake DAZScript doesn't have access to the random seed.

Post edited by Esemwy on
    Esemwy said:

I'm very pleased with where this product has taken my workflow. I find that with this utility I've lost any interest in buying new characters.

Exactly.  Add the skin builder for Gen 2 and you can pretty much do anything with a character. 

Esemwy said:

Exactly.  Add the skin builder for Gen 2 and you can pretty much do anything with a character. 

Wanted to add that it doesn't mean I WONT buy any new characters but it does take the pressure off lol.

This is the randomizer with the skin builder gen2f.   The blood is photo shop lol.

Azra Postwork.png
    419 x 678 - 485K
  • EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577
    Esemwy said:

I've started converting some of the really nice V4 skins you can find to G3F. There was a V4 sale, a while back, where all the V4 Elite textures were really cheap. I bought a bunch and have started converting them using Texture Transformer.

I've started looking at new characters as to whether they will make a good "base," or if the textures seem particularly high quality. 

Random character I created the other day.

SciFi-Bedroom.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 158K
    edited January 2016

Here's one I created a few days ago. I dialed the weight in manually after the randomizer finished. The list of products used is in my gallery here.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    barbult said:

Here's one I created a few days ago. I dialed the weight in manually after the randomizer finished. The list of products used is in my gallery here.

I really like what you did! Looks really good

Thanks, RGcincy. His title in my gallery is "We're not all skinny male models".

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I need to do more heavy and old guy nudes.