Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,295

My first entry into this months newbie contest. If you are new or newish to Daz studio you should come over and join us.  Great place to learn a lot.

WOW 

I agree with Novica - it doesn't look newbie at all to me either! Excellent work! Exhilarating image!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Wow thanks everyone! 

• That's nice Sonja.  I really like your color choices and your special effects.  You really managed to pull it all together.  I just, kind of, got caught up with the NU WIP thread.  You guys have been doing an awesome job in there.  Are you working on a second entry?  Or is it still just an idea right now?

Just an idea at the moment.  I still have time to work on it (which is a first I think lol). This was a tough contest the last time around.  My original idea involves fog, water and something moving in the deep but not sure if I can pull it off.  And I got distracted with that gorgeous T Rex...

edited October 2016

This is the T Rex in Iray.  This one is slated for postwork, hopefully I will get a chance to get started on it. I have some custom bead orders I need to make and really need to spend a couple hours on top of that just making the usual beads.

Dawn with T Rex.png
    2000 x 1600 - 5M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099

Wonderful.  I keep promising myself to use Daz Studio more.  Even picked up some tutorials in recent sales.  Will start lurking over at the newbie contest forum.  Well done.

My first entry into this months newbie contest. If you are new or newish to Daz studio you should come over and join us.  Great place to learn a lot.

Thanks!  You should definitely come over and join us.  We are a pretty friendly bunch lol

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869

The T Rex with the mouth open would look great with DOF. Have the foreground and background blurred out. That mouth in focus, fading to out of focus, would be neat. wink

Novica said:

The T Rex with the mouth open would look great with DOF. Have the foreground and background blurred out. That mouth in focus, fading to out of focus, would be neat. wink

I will have to give that a try!  This a quick test render but I do think it has potential.  I did a different render using the same spot and then played with it in photo shop for a bit.  Can't decide which one I like best.

edited October 2016

Okay a bit of photoshop work and some filters. The first one is the original.

T Rex Black White.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    T Rex Black Gold.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    T Rex HDRI Outdoors 2.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    T Rex Viveva.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 3M
    Dawn with T Rex.png
    2000 x 1600 - 5M
  • Okay a bit of photoshop work and some filters. The first one is the original.

I think these two are my favorites!  With the first on just slightly outweighing the other.  Nice job on that drool and the water splash!  :)

Ha those two are my favorites too altough I am leaning slightly toward the other one.  I might run it through the lineart9000 and then take it into photoshop and hand paint it as well.  Soon but not tonight lol.

• I think those two are my favorites also.   Absolutely outstanding render.  Fantastic job on the postwork.

• Sonja, you need to put your T-Rex over in this thread!  It deserves a spot over there.  

I think those two are my favorites also.   Absolutely outstanding render.  Fantastic job on the postwork.

Thank you very much!  

Sonja, you need to put your T-Rex over in this thread!  It deserves a spot over there.  

I had totally forgotten about that thread thanks for reminding me!

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,861

Nice TRex render! I like the sepia toned one best, but then I'm a sucker for sepia. The scene is vers well done!

edited October 2016

She sighed as she ran her hands through her silver hair.  She had done all she could to prepare Almalikat for what was surely to come.   Laraina whispered in her mind “ It will be enough.  You have given her the skills she needs; her husband is a wise man and a very good tactician.  And he balances her quick temper and impulsiveness nicely. She has the Dragons for council as well as those you have carefully chosen to advise her and Vasna will guide her and guard her  with her life as I have done with you”.

High Queen Naradia and Laraina.jpg
    2040 x 1632 - 3M
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Holy cow, I wish I had a stomach that nice! 

I assume you used the Aging Morphs - is this G2F or G3F?  Her stomach does seem a little too firm for somebody who's about 80 or so.  Even if the muscles underneath are still in good shape, she should have some skin wrinkles/sag around the middle. 

Also, sink her into the couch just a little bit to give the impression that the flesh is compressed.  If this is G2F you could use i13 SQUISH Soft Body Effect Morphs if you have them. 

Move the dragon's eyes towards her a little. 

It's a nice tender moment between the old woman and the dragon.  You have captured the relationship between them, and the care the dragon is taking with the smaller person - as well as not smacking his head against the columns!

I know she just kind of eased her head right between the pillars lol.  You are right, her stomach is too firm especially for someone who is centuries old.  I will see what I can do about that.  I think I might have the soft body effects (I really really have far too much stuff.) I need to systematically try everything out so I remember what I have.  Once I have used it I tend to remember it.  Is there anything that will compress the couch itself?  I can't remember if there is something like that available....

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Very good indeed!

While I don't know how to add Morphs in DS. I know how to in Carrara... you could simply add some to matress where she hits it. They may already be available if the product designer added them when creating the object in which case they should be there already for both DS and Carrara. I do have " i13 SQUISH Soft Body Effect Morphs", great product, would definitly help but since the mattress itself is a softbody itself it should give anywhere a person or anything a bit heavy sits or is set upon it... ie. the stack of books woud create a slight indent... not so for a single book... unless of course it's a *very* thick book. :)

kewl render.... btw: is that Daz Dragon 3?

Thank you!  It is Daz Dragon three.  I have no idea how to add a morph but I clearly need to set a weekend aside and go check out the links in your thread for Carrara.  I keep trying to get to it and then get interupted.  Need to just take like a whole Saturday from morning coffee to dinner time and just do it.

I am almost done with my second entry into the newbie contest so that will clear up a bit of time as well. So much to learn, so little time!

I'm glad that I mentioned morphs... it needs to be brought up in my Modeling thread since they are created in the Model room... I've have no YouTube link, yet, for how to do this. Hmm... perhaps I'll see if I can make a mini tutorial to show where it is and the very basics of using it... it's not hard.

"So littlle time"... I agree but it's only because I'm wasting, well and learning, here on the forums, instead of 'taking the time'. :)

Ya I do that too but usually if I'm at home I am working on a scene or working on custom categories.  I just read through to page 30 of the users manual, and that has taken a big chunk of the intimidation factor out of the picture.  That's a very good user manual, super easy to understand, great pictures to help show where everything is at.  I particularly liked the fact that you can drag and drop something to the exact spot that you want it to go.  Wish Studio had that!

edited October 2016

I've have forgotten more than I remember from actually reading the manual, years ago. Instead what I do now is to ask questions in the forum or watch/re-watch a video... the manual is extremely useful... what I use it for now is to search for a word for what I want to do... then go experiment until running into a wall... thennn back to the forums to ask a better informed question. This is why I started both my Modeling and Shaders threads... I had a question and wanted my question to create a discussion about the subjects where I could learn more and also help when able. The only lack the Manual has is that it doesn't answer all my silly questions.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Found a few videos on YouTube for Carrara Morph Targets.

Carrara Morph Targets. First try.  This is very short. It shows the effect of adding a morph to a wall, a vertex object, only.

Making Morph Targets  This shows how to actually create a morph to a figure or clothing. Any object AFAIK can have a morph... A DAZ figure, props etc. or any object that you create. Once a morph is created it can be turned on when needed.

Hey, Sonja, why don't you try a deformer on the couch and pillows? 

dracorn said:

Hey, Sonja, why don't you try a deformer on the couch and pillows? 

That's a good idea as well.  I was just thinking the other day its about time I learned how to use the deformer.

wgdjohn said:

I'e have forgotten more than I remember from actually reading the manual, years ago. Instead what I do now is to ask questions in the forum or watch/re-watch a video... the manaul is extremely useful... what I use it for now is to search for a word for what I want to do... then go experiment until running into a wall... thennn back to the forums to ask a better informed question. This is why I started both my Modeling and Shaders threads... I had a question and wanted my question to create a discussion about the subjects where I could learn more and also help when able. The only lack the Manual has is that it doesn't answer all my silly questions.

The nice thing about this manual is that its giving me a great overview so I don't feel so lost when looking at the interface.  Once I know what the buttons are for the videos will be much more helpful.  I learn well both ways so its very nice to have that overview for when the videos skip over key points like. What that button actually is for lol.

wgdjohn said:

I'e have forgotten more than I remember from actually reading the manual, years ago. Instead what I do now is to ask questions in the forum or watch/re-watch a video... the manaul is extremely useful... what I use it for now is to search for a word for what I want to do... then go experiment until running into a wall... thennn back to the forums to ask a better informed question. This is why I started both my Modeling and Shaders threads... I had a question and wanted my question to create a discussion about the subjects where I could learn more and also help when able. The only lack the Manual has is that it doesn't answer all my silly questions.

Hey, wgdjohn - Can you send us links to your modeling and shading threads?  Thanks!

dracorn said:
    wgdjohn said:

Hey, wgdjohn - Can you send us links to your modeling and shading threads?  Thanks!

See page 1 in my Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All thread. I have some links to other threads and YouTube videos that were extremely helpful and easy ways to learn more about other Carrara learning sources... not just modeling. For many examples of the many varied things Carrara is capable of check out Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” Voting thread: Winners Announced! there are some incredible renders there as in past Challenges. Hey... why not vote while you are there. :)

dracorn said:
    wgdjohn said:

dracorn,   I see that Ice Dragon already shows the link to Modeling, the other is Shader Creating & Settings for Carrara - Q&A - Come One, Come All.  Feel free to ask any questions... that's what both are about, and of course getting answers from folks like 3DAGE, PhilW, TangoAlpha, DustRider to mention a few. Oh yeah... I answer when knowing what the question is about.

This discussion has been closed.