Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part IV

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 2015

Curious Dragon

Skydome (by Merlin I think) with Sun and Sky Only for lighting.

Click on image for full size.

curious-dragon-002.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 2015

I've never really shared any of my art, but since I started playing with IRay it's improved significantly. I recently started playing around with Blender's fluid simulations and made a render to display the results. No postwork, just iray shaders. Still a little noisy in the candle. Not sure how to clean that up.

https://i.imgur.com/lFzzx73.jpg

Forgive the link, it was too big for an attachment and looked horrid as an inline image (1920x1080)

Post edited by Testing6790 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589

It finally occured to me what the Armani Hair that comes with the G3M starter reminded me of. I present to you: Johnny Bravo

..yep. that's him alright.

edited December 2015
    Fishtales said:

Curious Dragon

...I like the lighting in this better.  Now only if we could get some "real" grass for Iray.

So these skydomes work with the Iray sun/sky?

Post edited by kyoto kid on

...bots for the thread went AWOL on me. had some catching up to do.  Also not been doing much 3D work as my workstation was offline and the AV kept hammering the HD trying to look for a connection to update itself.

Finally got the hardware I needed today and after 40 min or updating the AV, spend about another hour DLing and installing all the stuff I bought since October. Currently messing around with Josie 7.

• Rafmer said:
    nDelphi said:
    Rafmer said:

My last render; just trying to show the armor details.

The mail armor on the arms needs work. It is mising something; bump, normal map, and/or displacement.

Yes, I noticed. Sadly, the armor set didn't include those maps. Maybe I can work something out myself.

Here's one you can try:  http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

edited December 2015

...OK again been a while. 

A simple test of Josie7 as the base for my Leela character.  Using both a freebie dress and the ambient environment by Mec4D. 

Used the 3DL shaders and manually converted/adjusted them as the base Iray Josie7 skin shader was too dark for Leela's complexion.

Yeah, some fireflies on the strap of the slippers, but late and didn't want to fiddle around as this was only a test.

Leela J7.png
    636 x 900 - 574K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • RafmerRafmer Posts: 564
    Rafmer said:
    nDelphi said:
    Rafmer said:

My last render; just trying to show the armor details.

The mail armor on the arms needs work. It is mising something; bump, normal map, and/or displacement.

Yes, I noticed. Sadly, the armor set didn't include those maps. Maybe I can work something out myself.

Here's one you can try:  http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

Thanks, I already knew of that page but seems I would need to use a bump map to convert and is missing too, only diffuse texture on that part of the armor. Although I could make a bump map from the diffuse one manually too, I'll try that.

kyoto kid said:
    Fishtales said:

Curious Dragon

...I like the lighting in this better.  Now only if we could get some "real" grass for Iray.

I agree, the lightning is much better in this one, nice picture!

Rafmer said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Fishtales said:

Curious Dragon

I use Skydomes from different vendors on most of my outdoor scenes. I use Tim William's method to get them set up and then tweak each one to suit and to get them to work. No two are the same :) The first image was a WIP as I couldn't remember how to get the Sun and Sky in Iray to light the scene, then I remembered and got the second image. The scene was taking 12GB of my 16GB memory and, when rendering it was maxing out so I couldn't add any grass to the environment base, which was Easy Environment I think, I use so many it is hard to keep up :) I tried bump and displacement but it just added to render time with not much difference to the ground. I might return to it and use a different environment at some time. All images I treat as WIPs, although there does come a point where there isn't much more I can do to them.

I could not get any decent looking normal map; I created a bump and displacement maps from the diffuse one. It improved a little.

dovram-retrato2.png
    1440 x 1080 - 2M
  • Probably late for this but here is my first render with the nVidia Iray. Still a lot to work on but here I just used simple Iray Uber Base shaders on a V4 figure. Background is an HDRI from sIBL archives.

Only light source is the HDRI.

2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Fishtales said:
    Rafmer said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Fishtales said:

Curious Dragon

I use Skydomes from different vendors on most of my outdoor scenes. I use Tim William's method to get them set up and then tweak each one to suit and to get them to work. No two are the same :) The first image was a WIP as I couldn't remember how to get the Sun and Sky in Iray to light the scene, then I remembered and got the second image. The scene was taking 12GB of my 16GB memory and, when rendering it was maxing out so I couldn't add any grass to the environment base, which was Easy Environment I think, I use so many it is hard to keep up :) I tried bump and displacement but it just added to render time with not much difference to the ground. I might return to it and use a different environment at some time. All images I treat as WIPs, although there does come a point where there isn't much more I can do to them.

...so how do you get the skydome to not block out the Iray sun?

• I was inspired by a video game I am playing right now and I realized that the Reptilian HD for G2M would be a good place to start. I added a bit of Demon HD and some Creature Creator morphs for G2M. I added lots of muscle morphs to bulk it up. I then used Ruth's Redemption as the backdrop. All of this all had to be converted to Iray textures other than the shotgun prop.

Also, I experimented with creating a sandstorm by adding metallic flakes to the AtmoCam atmosphere prop. I made the flakes be brown in color, rather small, and have a .25 density. The distance blurring from the camera made the flakes blur out. I tried using the "Above the Fog" product to make sand look like it is blowing from the ground but it just looked like brown fog. I got a hard edge at the top of it every time. Maybe I could remove all SSS fog effects from it and only do the brown metallic flakes.

http://www.daz3d.com/ruths-redemption
    http://www.daz3d.com/reptilian-6-hd-bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/legendary-demon-hd
    http://www.daz3d.com/creature-creator-hd-for-genesis-2-male-s

Wasteland_Monster_v01.jpg
    2732 x 2048 - 2M

I was inspired by a video game I am playing right now and I realized that the Reptilian HD for G2M would be a good place to start. I added a bit of Demon HD and some Creature Creator morphs for G2M. I added lots of muscle morphs to bulk it up. I then used Ruth's Redemption as the backdrop. All of this all had to be converted to Iray textures other than the shotgun prop.

Also, I experimented with creating a sandstorm by adding metallic flakes to the AtmoCam atmosphere prop. I made the flakes be brown in color, rather small, and have a .25 density. The distance blurring from the camera made the flakes blur out. I tried using the "Above the Fog" product to make sand look like it is blowing from the ground but it just looked like brown fog. I got a hard edge at the top of it every time. Maybe I could remove all SSS fog effects from it and only do the brown metallic flakes.

http://www.daz3d.com/ruths-redemption
    http://www.daz3d.com/reptilian-6-hd-bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/legendary-demon-hd
    http://www.daz3d.com/creature-creator-hd-for-genesis-2-male-s

Wow! I like the resulting creature, nice combination of morphs.

• Rafmer said:

I could not get any decent looking normal map; I created a bump and displacement maps from the diffuse one. It improved a little.

The other thing to keep in mind is to make sure to do a good specular.  You want to tailor it to the type of materials and what parts have more shine.  On the maille, you want it on the rings and none in the pitted areas which should really be open since it's maille.  If it's not, letting the black areas have no specular will help them recede better.

kyoto kid said:
    Fishtales said:
    Rafmer said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Fishtales said:

Curious Dragon

Here are the settings for the Skydome in the image. Changing the Evironment Intensity will darken the image.

curious-dragon-settings-001.jpg
    1357 x 613 - 246K
  • yajoojmajoojyajoojmajooj Posts: 24
    edited December 2015

Don't know if I'm right or wrong, but in my opinion the Subsurface Shader works better on Genesis 3 Females than the default Iray mats.

To show a good difference, I've attached the two files. One is of Iray shader and other with the Subsurface shader.

Both images were rendered using the stock HDRi file that comes with Iray (something-ruins.hdr). Figures were Sunny for V7. Both shaders haven't been modified.

Tell me what you guys think about it.

Iray.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Subsurface.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by yajoojmajooj on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Enjoying some of the cool freebie 1820s Updos (see Freebies forum).

Macroskin, Laticis Eyebrows, Vintage Rose outfit, Unshaven 2 shader for hair and eyebrows (tweaked a lot for the hair, mind you).

I think I'm going to do a redhead version...

Bethiah G2F.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Does this not work for you? http://www.daz3d.com/g3d-da-grass-and-plant-pack 

kyoto kid said:
    Fishtales said:

Fishtales said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Fishtales said:
    Rafmer said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Fishtales said:

Curious Dragon

Here are the settings for the Skydome in the image. Changing the Evironment Intensity will darken the image.

...still not sure how the Iray Sun is not being blocked out by the skydome.

Also, I use the Sun Chain isntead of all the Lat. Long. Time settings. So much easier to position the sun where I need it.

fastbike1 said:

Does this not work for you? http://www.daz3d.com/g3d-da-grass-and-plant-pack 

kyoto kid said:
    Fishtales said:

...dont remember seeing that. On the wishlist for now as DimensionTheory just released a bundle of Iray Sky HDRIs (sort of what I have been asking for).

Crikey I need to win a challnege to get some GCs.

I recently picked up that grass and plant pack and it's fantastic.

Put in some basic shaders for longrange shots and then fill with actual stuff from the pack in the foreground.

edited December 2015

I used the Iray AtmoCam and the Photometric Distantlight that comes with it for the sun.

Vigil.

solitude-001.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 794K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

Nicely done!

I still find getting godrays a little tricky, though now that you mention distant light, the razorsharp shadows it makes ... duh, probably ideal.

D&D-themed image with a treasurebeast! (FINALLY picked that thing up)

Warning, gore.

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Treasure-at-hand-576854109

Fishtales said:

I used the Iray AtmoCam and the Photometric Distantlight that comes with it for the sun.

Vigil.

Great image. Nicely done!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Indoor HDRI everything free apart from the chocs by blondie9999

rose final copy.jpg
    1214 x 2000 - 1M
  • Awesome render, Szark. Did you use the Iray Glass shader for the glass here? Or is it a custom shader?

This discussion has been closed.