[Released] RSSY Character And Material Conversion Bundle Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480

Hi,

I´m trying the standalone character script and this is the result.

That´s just not how the characters looked as G8.

Any clue?

Screenshot 2023-05-21 094007.png
    580 x 803 - 148K
    Screenshot 2023-05-21 094040.png
    569 x 789 - 123K
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2023

This happens using both Character Converter and Convert Custom Character scripts.

Hopefully I've done something horribly wrong, otherwise I'll be returning this.

Picture1.png
    851 x 589 - 224K
    Post edited by cridgit on
  • KarenKaren Posts: 81
    edited May 2023

Had also some problems with the character conversion. I found, that the errors or "wrinkled looks" were caused by certain morphs (f.e. there was a Nail Morph in one character - so look for currently used parameters and try one by one). Removed them, and saved the file as Scene Subset et voila: the conversion looked really good. Some issues with the lashes in some cases. Deleting the material suit and using G9 lashes instead, solved the problem.

Have to add: This is such a complex product. I am overwhelmed by the fact, that it even exists. I bow in awe. Of course, if there are improvements that would be great, but I'm happy for the price and performance so far.

Post edited by Karen on
  • RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,344
    edited May 2023

@mfrank01328_e9ea05b22a, @HoMart, @cridgit

The Converted Character’s Body is wrinkled.  Because of the way that morphs must be converted, a morph that on Genesis 8 appears to only touch a small part of the head can affect the whole body on Genesis 9. You need to show Currently Used parameters to show all morphs on the converted character.  Then, one by one, dial in the morphs to find the offending morph(s).  Once you find them, delete the morphs from your hard drive (click the Gear icon, Parameter Settings, and look at File Path for the asset to figure out where the morph is and what it is called).  You should also resave the character with the offending morph(s) dialed out (set to 0).

Thanks @Karen too for answering.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • Sorry it is not working... yet.  There should not be a pop up about zero figure or duplicate formulas.  

Recommendation: until you get a hang of it, I would delete the converted morphs in My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 9\Base\Morphs after a conversion and try the next one.  Experiment and learn.  When morphs start combining there can be weird issues.  Don't convert the same character twice without deleting until you understand for sure it will work.

I know this is painful, but this conversion script was the most painful one to write ever.  Because of the changes in G9, the conversion process had to be a specific way which unfortunately is unforgiving of errors.

Honestly, I would have be very surprised if it would have worked just out of the box - I manually converted already some G8 characters to G9 following the Sickleyield method and know it is tricky. And the results are far away from perfect - loss of HD morphs and details, distorsions in some body parts (armpits) etc.

I will wait some time for improvements - never give up hope smiley... Or in the worst case, ask for a refund.

Please do.  I only want happy customers smiley

So, I did a new experiment. First I deleted the morphs from my first attempt. Then I tried to convert Braylee 8.1. Of course, the "duplicate formular" warning/popup and the question "zero or restore" came again, so the script stops at these moments. (See screenshot; I guess the "zero or restore" question is a new feature in the Daz Studio beta...) After about 50 minutes the script was finished - and the result was much better that the first time now. (see screenshot...) As you see there is a distorsion in the body, but after I dialed out a "disturbing morph" which was in the Genesis 8 character already (EnsleyHDLv2 - it's the well known problem that some vendors forget to zero their morphs and they become default; but the bigger problem is that these morphs are NOT shown under "currently used"...) and had been transferred, too - the result was quite nice.

I had transfered the character manually already with the Sickleyield method and attach some screenshots to let you compare my manual result with the result from the script.

So, my new conclusion for now is: The product works - but as RiverSoftArt already mentioned, it is endangered by all errors and evil morphs most of us will have in their database. smiley

Perhaps a solution would be to create a fresh database only with G8 and G9 essentials, the script and the characters you would like to convert. And afterwards you could copy the results in the main database - if you know what you are doing smiley...

By the way - I am not sure whether G9 is really a progress at all; as I mentioned already in an other thread most of the female G9 characters/faces look flat and somehow creepy in my view. Interestingly, the male characters are much better. frown 

PopUp.jpg
    1404 x 1061 - 677K
    BrayleeResult.jpg
    870 x 1048 - 339K
    BrayleeManualConversion.jpg
    874 x 1046 - 284K
    BrayleeScriptConversion.jpg
    870 x 1045 - 291K
    Braylee2ManualConversion.jpg
    867 x 1045 - 256K
    Braylee2ScriptConversion.jpg
    864 x 1051 - 257K

Karen said:

Had also some problems with the character conversion. I found, that the errors or "wrinkled looks" were caused by certain morphs (f.e. there was a Nail Morph in one character - so look for currently used parameters and try one by one). Removed them, and saved the file as Scene Subset et voila: the conversion looked really good. Some issues with the lashes in some cases. Deleting the material suit and using G9 lashes instead, solved the problem.

Right now I am not willing to search my 14666 installed products for one morph.

RiverSoftArt said:

The Converted Character’s Body is wrinkled.  Because of the way that morphs must be converted, a morph that on Genesis 8 appears to only touch a small part of the head can affect the whole body on Genesis 9. You need to show Currently Used parameters to show all morphs on the converted character.  Then, one by one, dial in the morphs to find the offending morph(s).  Once you find them, delete the morphs from your hard drive (click the Gear icon, Parameter Settings, and look at File Path for the asset to figure out where the morph is and what it is called).  You should also resave the character with the offending morph(s) dialed out (set to 0).

So this morph is on BOTH male AND female? As for the female I had checked the currenly used and there was nothing dialed in exept the character?

• carlosgimperacarlosgimpera Posts: 82
    edited May 2023

I'm getting mixed results and I appreciate the tip of deleting the created morphs that didn'd work.Looks like some HD morphs are getting in the way or they are applied several times. I'm not asking for a refund as I'm sure they will be fixed.

I'm having better results with core characters - obviously -  but I also converted a MSO character and went OK. ***Not that lucky with bluejaunte [ EDIT: FIXED! ]***  I realized my converted character was Size=106% while the eyes were 100% and as soon as I fixed the value the eyes looked much better without having to run the eye script (wich is also helpful)

I've been converting my characters to G9 since the beginning of the G9 era (Thanks, Jay) and I stopped doing it because of the time I lost fixing eyes. This tool is god send for me.

Wanted to share my first babies with this tool: First is Millawa (9) wearing 8K Kala 9 Mats. The second is a quick head morph Julia 9 HD + JS Fanny 9 HD wearing Arcadia's 8.1 Material suit.And Arcadia morph all the way for the body. 

Thank you for this tool, Riversoft Art, Sickleyield. I was awaiting for it!

Post edited by carlosgimpera on
  • marth_emarth_e Posts: 171

Is it possible to transfer also custom JCMs?

• eric.schwandteric.schwandt Posts: 1
    edited May 2023

Before pulling the trigger on purchasing this, I asked a friend to test this on a few of my custom characters I had created using quite a few merchant resource body and face morphs (nothing too extreme) that I had baked into single full character morphs. The first two attempts had weird, wrinkled results with the problem morph being the main character morph. Then, on a third character, it worked well. The difference was that the first two characters had had slightly different heights from the default G8F, and had required adjusting rigging to shape with the joint editor and an ERC freeze. If we reimported my original obj for these  characters and saved it as a new G8F morph asset without fixing the joints, then saved that as a new G8F character preset and used the RSSY script to convert that - then it worked well. It is an extra step, and many of my custom characters have non-default heights or dimensions, but any rigging/joint(posing issues I assume can be corrected with the joint editor and an ERC freeze after the conversion.

edit: added a screenshot - my original custom G8F character converted on the left, then the same character but with its morph re-made not including adjusted joints and ERC freeze (which for G8 poses causes some really weird stuff) on the right. Oddly enough, the properly converted G9 character poses just fine and doesn't seem to require any rigging adjustment or ERC freeze.

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 15.24.29.png
    1115 x 1007 - 567K
    Post edited by eric.schwandt on

GRFK DSGN Unlimited said:

Question: Why is it that if the only thing that is being morphed on Genesis 8 Female, the body of Genesis 9 ends up with a Genesis 8 Female body? I'm only wanting to transfer the head morph but keep the Genesis 9 body.

In order to transfer morphs from one generation to another, you need the two characters to match in shape, height, and pose as closely as possible.  The script modifies G9's shape to the default G8 shape (using the included "Genesis 8 Female" or "Genesis 8 Male" clone morphs), and poses G9 to the default G8 pose. Once they match, the transfer utility transfers over the morphs and you can save them.  However, what transferring means is that the changes between the current G9 shape/height/pose and the morph's shape/height/pose on G8 are what are transferred over as a morph.  Because G9 has been changed, the converted morph will "remember" the change in shape, height, and pose as well as the shape changes of the original morph, which can cause problems.  This is why, even if the original morph only changed fingernail length or something like that, a converted morph changes the whole body on G9.  The script is smart enough to only save the head of a head morph but saves the whole body or figure for all other morphs.  This is why small, benign morphs on G8 can cause problems on G9.

soulofthesword_88604559d2 said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Cybersox said:

So... will there be an add-on or seperate packs for Genesis 3?  I know there are a couple of tuts out there right now on converting both the G3 and G8s to G9, but there are some minor issues, especially around the eyes, that you seem to have solved with your Material suits. 

Good question... I am not sure. smiley  The material suits were so much work that we will never do that again.  However, G3 does share the G8 UVs so if I can figure out a way to script using the G8 conformers, it might happen.

Could you not use the coversion tool for of gen3 to gen 8 then convert that result to gen9?

I want to avoid having morphs that are a copy of a copy (which introduces errors in each copy).  

TBorNot said:

On the product page can you add  "Your new software, including instructions, is in the main scripts folder under 'RiverSoft Art'"

This is true of all my products.  The best thing when you buy a product is find the product in Smart Content and browse around its different categories to find everything in the product.

Karen said:

Have to add: This is such a complex product. I am overwhelmed by the fact, that it even exists. I bow in awe. Of course, if there are improvements that would be great, but I'm happy for the price and performance so far.

Thanks for the encouraging words.  The support thread can be discouraging sometimes smiley  This product was the hardest thing I have ever done in Daz Studio.  I have been working on it SINCE GENESIS 9 CAME OUT.  I have tried and discarded so many ways of converting the morphs because of issues.  With Sickleyield's amazing help, we came up with this.  Not perfect, but better than anything out there.

mgessat_f159911d19 said:

Sorry it is not working... yet.  There should not be a pop up about zero figure or duplicate formulas.  

Recommendation: until you get a hang of it, I would delete the converted morphs in My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 9\Base\Morphs after a conversion and try the next one.  Experiment and learn.  When morphs start combining there can be weird issues.  Don't convert the same character twice without deleting until you understand for sure it will work.

I know this is painful, but this conversion script was the most painful one to write ever.  Because of the changes in G9, the conversion process had to be a specific way which unfortunately is unforgiving of errors.

Honestly, I would have be very surprised if it would have worked just out of the box - I manually converted already some G8 characters to G9 following the Sickleyield method and know it is tricky. And the results are far away from perfect - loss of HD morphs and details, distorsions in some body parts (armpits) etc.

I will wait some time for improvements - never give up hope smiley... Or in the worst case, ask for a refund.

Please do.  I only want happy customers smiley

So, I did a new experiment. First I deleted the morphs from my first attempt. Then I tried to convert Braylee 8.1. Of course, the "duplicate formular" warning/popup and the question "zero or restore" came again, so the script stops at these moments. (See screenshot; I guess the "zero or restore" question is a new feature in the Daz Studio beta...) After about 50 minutes the script was finished - and the result was much better that the first time now. (see screenshot...) As you see there is a distorsion in the body, but after I dialed out a "disturbing morph" which was in the Genesis 8 character already (EnsleyHDLv2 - it's the well known problem that some vendors forget to zero their morphs and they become default; but the bigger problem is that these morphs are NOT shown under "currently used"...) and had been transferred, too - the result was quite nice.

Ack!  I hate when Daz Studio changes the default implementation of a function!  Argh, sorry about the "Zero or restore" message.

I had transfered the character manually already with the Sickleyield method and attach some screenshots to let you compare my manual result with the result from the script.

So, my new conclusion for now is: The product works - but as RiverSoftArt already mentioned, it is endangered by all errors and evil morphs most of us will have in their database. smiley

I am so glad you got it working!

Perhaps a solution would be to create a fresh database only with G8 and G9 essentials, the script and the characters you would like to convert. And afterwards you could copy the results in the main database - if you know what you are doing smiley...

By the way - I am not sure whether G9 is really a progress at all; as I mentioned already in an other thread most of the female G9 characters/faces look flat and somehow creepy in my view. Interestingly, the male characters are much better. frown 

• RiverSoftArt said:

What if you can't figure out which morph it is? I.E, all the morphs seem to do the same thing to your wrinkled monstrosity. 

HoMart said:

Karen said:

Right now I am not willing to search my 14666 installed products for one morph.

You don't look in your 15K products for a morph.  You load the converted character and look for the offending converted morph.  Most converted characters are actually very few morphs.  It is very quick to find the offending morph in a character.

HoMart said:

RiverSoftArt said:

So this morph is on BOTH male AND female? As for the female I had checked the currenly used and there was nothing dialed in exept the character?

I am not sure I understand the question.  You load in the G9 converted character (whether female looking or male looking) and search for the offending morph.

carlosgimpera said:

I'm getting mixed results and I appreciate the tip of deleting the created morphs that didn'd work.Looks like some HD morphs are getting in the way or they are applied several times. I'm not asking for a refund as I'm sure they will be fixed.

I'm having better results with core characters - obviously -  but I also converted a MSO character and went OK. Not that lucky with bluejaunte (sadface).  I realized my converted character was Size=106% while the eyes were 100% and as soon as I fixed the value the eyes looked much better without having to run the eye script (wich is also helpful)

I've been converting my characters to G9 since the beginning of the G9 era (Thanks, Jay) and I stopped doing it because of the time I lost fixing eyes. This tool is god send for me.

Wanted to share my first babies with this tool: First is Millawa (9) wearing 8K Kala 9 Mats. The second is a quick head morph Julia 9 HD + JS Fanny 9 HD wearing Arcadia's 8.1 Material suit.And Arcadia morph all the way for the body. 

Thank you for this tool, Riversoft Art, Sickleyield. I was awaiting for it!

Awesome!  And thanks for sharing.

marth_e said:

Is it possible to transfer also custom JCMs?

No, it is not.  JCMs are the definition of little morphs changing a small area of the body.  They would cause so many "wrinkles" that are bothering people that I shudder in horror. laugh

eric.schwandt said:

Before pulling the trigger on purchasing this, I asked a friend to test this on a few of my custom characters I had created using quite a few merchant resource body and face morphs (nothing too extreme) that I had baked into single full character morphs. The first two attempts had weird, wrinkled results with the problem morph being the main character morph. Then, on a third character, it worked well. The difference was that the first two characters had had slightly different heights from the default G8F, and had required adjusting rigging to shape with the joint editor and an ERC freeze. If we reimported my original obj for these  characters and saved it as a new G8F morph asset without fixing the joints, then saved that as a new G8F character preset and used the RSSY script to convert that - then it worked well. It is an extra step, and many of my custom characters have non-default heights or dimensions, but any rigging/joint(posing issues I assume can be corrected with the joint editor and an ERC freeze after the conversion.

Thanks for sharing Eric.

nomadraccoon said:

RiverSoftArt said:

What if you can't figure out which morph it is? I.E, all the morphs seem to do the same thing to your wrinkled monstrosity. 

More than likely, the morph problems are compounding then as you convert more characters.  I would rename the My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 9\Base\Morphs (and eye morphs directory) temporarily so all the converted morphs are hidden.  Convert the character again.  Find the offending morphs and only copy over the "good" morphs to your My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 9\Base\Morphs

edited May 2023

hit the submit too early

Post edited by HoMart on

Ok, now I used mgessat_f159911d19 approach and used a new Library with your tools, genesis8 and genesis9 and ONE character installed.

I get the results shown in the images after executing your script.

1. only body dialed in on G9

2. only head dialed in on G9

3. both combined crack the figure up

Took your advice and looked at currently used and checked hidden properties, so I do not miss some.

See image 4

I don´t know where to look else as there is no other character installed

Screenshot 2023-05-21 143434.png
    587 x 802 - 175K
    Screenshot 2023-05-21 143522.png
    547 x 795 - 152K
    Screenshot 2023-05-21 143607.png
    546 x 789 - 169K
    Screenshot 2023-05-21 144630.png
    1621 x 559 - 146K

HoMart said:

Ok, now I used mgessat_f159911d19 approach and used a new Library with your tools, genesis8 and genesis9 and ONE character installed.

I get the results shown in the images after executing your script.

1. only body dialed in on G9

2. only head dialed in on G9

3. both combined crack the figure up

Took your advice and looked at currently used and checked hidden properties, so I do not miss some.

See image 4

I don´t know where to look else as there is no other character installed

Hmmm.  In this case looking at your #2 image, it looks like the head morph changes the entire body as well (as it looks way too feminine for G9).  There is not an easy way to get it right.  To detect a head morph, the script uses the name of the morph first (does it start with FHM (head) or FBM (body)).  If that doesn't work, it uses the values in var NECK_RANGE to detect if a vertex is moved by the morph only in the head or not.  

If you are determined, the best way is to rename temporarily the head morph on G8 to start with FHM, apply it go G8 in a scene and run the custom scene character script to convert it.  Then, the script will recognize it is a head morph and limit its effects to only the head. Painful I know.  sad  Sorry.

Renamed the "modifiers" to FBM_... and FHM_.... in the character file and renamed the morph accordingly

This is what I get. There must be something else.

Giving up on that character

Screenshot 2023-05-21 161148.png
    516 x 776 - 146K
  • Laurita said:

Not exactly a great success. Neither on a stock Aurore 8 (left) nor on a custom character.

Conversions

I saw this post and wanted to try Aurore. The only thing I had to do was to turn down the main Aurore Character dial once converted. That makes the character a plain G9 shape with Aurore Mats suit, no wrinkles. Then I just dialed up Aurore head and body morph- just those - and there you have it. HD morph caused issues, so I let it off as well.

• 3DRT3DRT Posts: 61

I'm using the G8M converter on a custom character and it seems like it's applying the G8M clone to every converted morph which stacks on the G9 figure when I mix and match producing rather horrendous results. Dialing in just one is fine. Is there a way to prevent the G8M clone from being applied multiple times?

conversion_g8m.jpg
    2160 x 1440 - 496K
  • 00qisq0000qisq00 Posts: 13

So, luckily my own custom morphs have converted fine, it's just the eyes and mouth, as expected, are not aligned. I can align the eyes with the script and the mouth through parameters, I'm just not sure how to save those settings into the morph itself. I tried the ERC Freeze, save as morph asset, but I might be missing something, I haven't saved anything that way for awhile. Other than that, this is great!

• nomadraccoonnomadraccoon Posts: 28
    edited May 2023

Aurore looks great in theory, but do all characters have these horrible SEAMS between head and chest?

And I imagine they have the same seams between middle of the head and back of the head? + shoulders etc.

Is this supposed to be a "good" conversion with this product?

All custom examples I've seen had either anatomic materials on their faces as the BODY surface is slapped on their face, either horrible seams in the places I've mentioned, or both of these problems. Some pictures here look good, but only on old daz originals with the lightweight looking texture design from G8, nothing from G8.1. Someone already mentioned they can't convert Bluejaunte stuff, this confirms what I have heard as well.

Post edited by nomadraccoon on