Free Software that Makes Life Easier

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Hey Roygee! What a pleasnt suprise to see you here. Welcome back, hope you have been well!

Yes you cant keep a good thread down :)

thanks for the facebuilder link.

Wendy that looks like a good find.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Hi Headwax :)

Good to hear from you again - what with the fires, floods and now C19, things were looking pretty scary downunder. I'm well enough, getting over my quad bypass.  Concentrating mainly on photography, but doing some catching up on 3D during the lockdown.  Looking to composit some modelsinto my photo's.

You all keep well and come safely out the other end!

Cheers

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

found a video about a sandbox game engine built on Unreal that looks like funcheeky

cannot import or export anything but lots of building blocks and content by looksyes

but

it's freeeeeeeeee

https://www.manticoregames.com/

video linked  on site looks cool

Roygee said:

Hi Headwax :)

Good to hear from you again - what with the fires, floods and now C19, things were looking pretty scary downunder. I'm well enough, getting over my quad bypass.  Concentrating mainly on photography, but doing some catching up on 3D during the lockdown.  Looking to composit some modelsinto my photo's.

You all keep well and come safely out the other end!

Cheers

great news _ only a quad pass aye - nothing like an overhaul - stay safe too - I have made the world's biggest veggie garden to stay sane :) you know if you plant thitrty cloves of garlic you gate a garlic forets in about three days ... should keep the vampires away :) 

Roygee said:

video linked  on site looks cool

great looking toy!

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,548

I'm a fan of sculptris, though Pixologic has kept it in stasis for years. It still has very good tools for mesh manipulation, though there are some limitations.

Good old Sculptris on the Pixologic site

I just came across a similar program called meshmolder. It's a lot like Sculptris but it's still being developed. It's pretty much Windows Only so far.

Meshmolder site

It appears meshmolder has the same basic mesh limitation as Sculptris: You can't punch holes in your mesh. You can't bridge geometry. So, your mesh can't have negative forms like the opening for the handle in a coffee cup. For more complex mesh structures, it might work better to model a low-poly form in the program of choice, export as obj, and import that to the sculpting program for refinement.

Some might say, "Use Blender!" but not everyone wants that extra mass, and some people are already using Carrara (especially here!). Meshmolder is a 7-10mb program.  It does seem to have very good UV mapping tools, but questions about size of maps and all that. Anyway, it seems worth a look.

Here's a video about meshmolder:

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    Torquinox said:

I'm a fan of sculptris, though Pixologic has kept it in stasis for years. It still has very good tools for mesh manipulation, though there are some limitations.

Good old Sculptris on the Pixologic site

I just came across a similar program called meshmolder. It's a lot like Sculptris but it's still being developed. It's pretty much Windows Only so far.

Meshmolder site

It appears meshmolder has the same basic mesh limitation as Sculptris: You can't punch holes in your mesh. You can't bridge geometry. So, your mesh can't have negative forms like the opening for the handle in a coffee cup. For more complex mesh structures, it might work better to model a low-poly form in the program of choice, export as obj, and import that to the sculpting program for refinement.

Some might say, "Use Blender!" but not everyone wants that extra mass, and some people are already using Carrara (especially here!). Meshmolder is a 7-10mb program.  It does seem to have very good UV mapping tools, but questions about size of maps and all that. Anyway, it seems worth a look.

Here's a video about meshmolder:

neat - thanks for the post!

Headwax said:

and for this too!

--ms

nice find @Torquinox and pleasure @mindsong !

Thanks and pleasure to @mindsong and @headwax !

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,671

I'm a Sculptris fan too, and very happy to see how work MeshMolder

• rk66rk66 Posts: 432

NDunes - 3D World Builder > https://www.ndunes.com/

rk66 said:

looks cool

rk66 said:

This does look cool. Have you tried it?

• rk66rk66 Posts: 432

P3DO Organizer pro and free:

- new website is online

- new update for pro version is out - 2.8 R2

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Re-post of a nice overview for the free alternatives to Adobes rentals.
    AdobeAlts.jpg
    900 x 900 - 78K
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited May 2020
    Torquinox said:
    rk66 said:

This does look cool. Have you tried it?

Requires Nvidia GPU for now.
    Post edited by 3drendero on

I tried Ndunes but my computer is just not good enough and all my terrain heightmaps come in spiky AF

I tried Ndunes but my computer is just not good enough and all my terrain heightmaps come in spiky AF

If your computer is choking on it, I must put off to the future.

Torquinox said:

If your computer is choking on it, I must put off to the future.

my computer not very good, was a budget Win 10 replacement when I damaged my better one

just a Ryzen 3 with 8Gb RAM and the 980ti from the other ond

edited May 2020

my computer not very good, was a budget Win 10 replacement when I damaged my better one

just a Ryzen 3 with 8Gb RAM and the 980ti from the other ond

I'm overdue for an upgrade myself. indecision

Post edited by Torquinox on

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

That is So Cool!!!

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

Thanks Wendy for the heads up on ZBrushCoreMini.  I find the iMage3D option/feature pretty interesting, embedding the mesh info into the image, pretty clever!

"iMage3D GIF and iMage3D PNG

Introducing a revolutionary new way to save your models! The iMage3D GIF and iMage3D PNG formats allow you share your files as special versions of the universal *.GIF and *.PNG image formats. On websites and social media, these files appear as normal 2D images as seen with the dinosaur to the left. But when someone saves that image and opens it in their copy of ZBrushCoreMini the band of "noise" at the bottom contains all the data necessary to reconstruct the image into a full 3D model!"

I thought that was very innovative myself! Very cool!

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

Thank you, Wendy, for the heads up on the ZBrush Core Mini, you lovely lady from down-under...

I like that it includes Sculptris Pro  --  I thought this was their next evolution of Sculptris - but I am not sure if they are promoting Sculptris or a watered-down version of Core with Sculptris (Pro) included...

Question :  Does it require the same online installation as the ZBrush trial, or can one install on an offline rig?

DaremoK3 said:

Thank you, Wendy, for the heads up on the ZBrush Core Mini, you lovely lady from down-under...

I like that it includes Sculptris Pro  --  I thought this was their next evolution of Sculptris - but I am not sure if they are promoting Sculptris or a watered-down version of Core with Sculptris (Pro) included...

Question :  Does it require the same online installation as the ZBrush trial, or can one install on an offline rig?

no idea

I own Zbrush cheeky

I'm guessing that it's a means to get people to try and fall in love with their workflow so they buy the Core!

yeah I have no reason to install it myself,

I have 3 versions of Zbrush on this computer and two on the other one plus Sculptris already devil

I bought Zbrush about 6 years ago and so far all updates have been free, dunno how much longer that will last