Karen 7

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

Well, well, she was unexpected! There was nothing new in the store when I left it this morning, and now she's here. She's.. interesting. She reminds me a lot of V4. Another to add to the growing arsenal. That said, I don't even have the morphs or V7 yet! I'll get round to them, I PROMISE!!!

CHEERS!

• SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    edited August 2015

Now we're getting two new characters a month?...hope this doesn't mean Genesis 3 will be obsolete in a year instead of the usual two.   ;)

I actually hinted at that a few weeks back because I feel the same way now. I suggested waiting to see how long the next release was before making a decision and yep, another character before ya know it.

Product life for Genesis 3 will most likely be about 10 years and even then it can still find uses in computer generated art.  The character has so many new articulation points that it is truly amazing to me and in fact, I would dare to say that DAZ has set a new standard when you combine it with IRAY... I believe eventually you'll find the tools that come out over time are going to make it easy for you to replicate fantasy as reality and vice versa.

There is no need to update beyond doing what looks pretty damn great... It will take some time for the tools to come out to really bring out her raw potential but there will be a significant advancement in technology to make this character obsolete so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The key is to be patient and wait for the great tools, smile and vote for me as world president.. LOL  Have fun

potusgirls3b.jpg
    1202 x 831 - 112K
    Post edited by SnowPheonix on
  • OcelianeOceliane Posts: 65

Karen comes with interesting clothes, but she have the same problem as Eva had: she's more like Karen for V7, or Eva for V7, rather than Karen 7 or Eva 7: they aren't different enough to justify labelling them as a new character. I feel more like purchasing a bundle of clothes, hair, poses and morphs than to get a new character.

On the plus side, congratulations for that eclipse outfit! It looks absolutely stunning.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2015

*cough*  *chuckles*

Now we're getting two new characters a month?...hope this doesn't mean Genesis 3 will be obsolete in a year instead of the usual two.   ;)

I actually hinted at that a few weeks back because I feel the same way now. I suggested waiting to see how long the next release was before making a decision and yep, another character before ya know it.

Product life for Genesis 3 will most likely be about 10 years and even then it can still find uses in computer generated art.

You are missing the point. And the tone as well. I'm not worried about new generations of figures...I've been working with 3D since the late 90's. There is always something new, and sometimes what is "new" is just old stuff repackaged for a different audience. I didn't read obsolete literally, nor am I concerned with finding tools for my expression. I mean properly rigged faces is so early 2000's.

People still use V4, and may still be doing so in 10 years. And people still make content and tools for V4, she gets more support than Genesis, and probably Genesis 2.  When SnowSultan said obsolete it was understood they implied Daz would have a new figure ready for sale and they would slow down sales for G3F. Which is what happens when a new generation of Daz figure comes out, the older ones get less support on the Daz store. But that hasn't stopped V4 from dominating to this day at other Daz/Poser content sites.

However V4 still is the queen of Daz figures. None of the Genesis lines have competed to the same degree on external stores. So in reality the product life of G3 may well be short, just like Genesis. We are still waiting to see how G2F pans out, but you still see more V4 than G2F today. But the genesis figures have never had much time to really grab the market outside of this particular store, while they do get some momentum, the quick release cycle tends to halt their adoption externally.

So I know articulating faces isn't new, Iray is old news, cept to those who exclusively use Daz :)

And for added fun, some Obsolete G2F and Obsolete Octane 1.x render for ya ;) Circa 2014

sexy_kunoichi_syren_ii_by_larsmidnatt-d7yi6pd.jpg
    730 x 1095 - 162K
    Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,570

I'm buying her. Her content is much more usable to me and the character looks pretty good.

Kind of tired of the bronzy colored white girl skins though. Would like something different.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962

Ok whose idea was Monique and Darius 6?  Looks like Daz originals to me. Daz make lots of original characters belive me I have a bunch my question is where is the black G3 figures? Period

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,907

Bethany at least had some qualities that seemed hard to easily dial in.

Karen looks a lot like V7 with the nose dialed smaller and maybe fitness dialed up a little. Enh.

edited August 2015

Ok whose idea was Monique and Darius 6?  Looks like Daz originals to me. Daz make lots of original characters belive me I have a bunch my question is where is the black G3 figures? Period

Just remember, just because it has the label Daz Original, does not mean Daz made it. Just means they own it. They could have bought it off someone.

I asked the same question in another thread, and sadly I can't find the responses I got. But basically Daz is very dependant on what PAs submit.

edited August 2015

Some quotes about characters

I know the demand for the variety is mostly from us vocal forum users (most people dont visit the forums i know). And that sales probably indicate that churning out more white girls makes money, but I can't imagine it would kill the company to mix it up a bit earlier.

Do bear in mind that the content is made by PAs, and they aren't in the same position to spread their risk across multiple items as DAZ is.

It was suggested that DAZ could, on the bundles, take a risk on lower sales for one or more ethnic minority characters as the sales would presumably balance out. I pointed that ebfore DAZ can buy an item a PA has to make it, not knowing whether it will be bought out by DAZ or not; if the item wasn't bought out the PA would be left with all, or a substantial part, of that month's new releases being an item with a risk of low returns. So the odds are, by what we have been told about relative sales, that PAs will be wary about committing the time to make an ethnic minority character long before it gets to the point of DAZ' deciding to buy the product out and use to increase the range in the bundle.

Chohole said:

larsmidnatt said

Thanks for explaining. I didn't realize Daz didn't even attempt to commission art for sale and exclusively waited for PA submissions. That doesn't seem to completely add up because I'm sure V7 was no accident :) 

The Genesis technology and the main figures are DAZ 3Ds Intellectual Property and done in house.  It is  subsequent characters that may be purchased from PAs

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    Looking at the promos, I think Karen 7 makes for a much better V7 than Victoria 7 herself. At least her promos don't have that horrible raccoon makeup slapped on like V7. Still haven't bought either, though.
  • DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096

Asian characters are forthcoming. If not from DAZ itself, then from other quarters. Indian is still up in the air, and black is certainly a possibility at this point. Maybe I'll give it another go when my hands stop hurting.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,866
    edited August 2015

I love that "racoon" make up option on V7! : D

I´m still hesitant to buy Karen as well, I´d love to expand my G3F collection but I don´t know whether I should wait 2-3 weeks as I might like the next lady even more : D

And her make-up options seem to be a bit too extravagant for my taste and at least 2 out of the 6 make up options are not shown in her promos which I have noticed is often the case with the females and I don´t know why. I want to know exactly what I´m buying.

But I get it, she is a super hero so she has to come with such make up.

So if anybody could post a render with the missing make up options (one of them is probably the no make up natural face) I´d be very glad!

Post edited by Toyen on
  • HoppittyHoppitty Posts: 473
    edited August 2015

While Bethany was an instant buy, I'll probably either pass on Karen or eventually get the base model and cherry-pick the items I actually want. I actually love the poses, but I'd never use most of the outfits. Diversity is a good thing, and not just ethnicity but also body type (as Bethany proved) and genre options. What seems missing to me with all the "7" pro bundles is genre/ethnic diversity. The old major release characters seemed to have a better diversity in clothes, hair, and characters right in the pro bundle; whereas now the pro bundles seem like a more narrow theme. And is it just me, or does it seem like these actually have less products in them, lately?

I do have to say there's one precedent DAZ is setting that seems like a huge step in the right direction, tho. I noticed with Bethany that the two characters in her pro bundle used the base G3F UV map, so I looked at the product pages of Karen's characters and saw the same thing. I know this doesn't guarantee that there will never be a character/PA release that utilizes Karen's or Bethany's (or Eva's of V7's) specific UV map, but with all these base figures coming it, I like that there's less focus on *needing* to buy them for the UV maps. 

Post edited by Hoppitty on
    Hoppitty said:

The old major release characters seemed to have a better diversity in clothes, hair, and characters right in the pro bundle; whereas now the pro bundles seem like a more narrow theme. And is it just me, or does it seem like these actually have less products in them, lately?

Narrow theme, depending on who's bundle you compare them to. But they aren't even that specialized really. Like Karen isn't all that super...

And yes, the pro packs are small compared to each generation prior. They don't really have any value to me, but eventually I will need to buy at least one of them to get the goods...

I was able to buy a skin for G3F from the Beth launch because it used the base UV, which I think is awesome. I hope it continues that way.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962

ZamuelNow thanks for the link. DarkSpartan will keep a look out.  All I'm saying is one dark texture and I'd be happy, whoever makes it Did we need a V7 elf?

• Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

When are the prices for Karen 7 Pro Bundle going to normalize?

It just jumped in price from $66 to $134.95.

• NosiferretNosiferret Posts: 331

Eclipse suit looks interesting as along as there are lots of material zones, as in being able to turn the suit into a swim suit kind of thing, there was a nice bodysuits for G2 that lacked that completely even tho it appears they'd have have a lot ....but my one concern is...all the promo shots of it show it with the boots on...I've bought lots of items only to find the suit cuts off at the knees so you're forced to use the boots all the time. I thought the same for the sleeves but saw a shot of shorter gloves, so at least it looks like the sleeve goes down. But the legs bother me a bit. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited August 2015

Much prefer the look of Karen to Victoria. I actually much prefer the pack as a whole, but...

Think I'll get the other two figures and the long hair; seriously, stop charging me extra for new UVs that rarely get used, and with good reason. They don't add any benefit to model.

... And that take more work getting everything to work properly.

And to add insult, eleven items, there used to be a lot more.

I'm a caucasion guy, but it would be really nice to have some ethnic diversity.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

More futuristic armoured costumes which look otherwise desirable, texture-wise, but are ultimately exposed skimpwear... Almost glad I couldn't afford to get involved in G3 when V7 came out now!

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

Her body looks good...toned and lithe.  The face however is not very impressive at all, especiallyin the main promo for the bundle and the character only.  It looks almost, in a way "cartoonish".  And the makeup options are just horrible!  Just MY opinion. I'm sure there others that find her, uhmmm...okay, for lack of a better word.

• pearbearpearbear Posts: 227

I'm very happy with Karen so far, realistically sculpted muscular characters will always go in my shopping cart.

Gia was one of my favorite figures for V6, and this looks to me like her V7 reboot. As far as athletic women archetypes go, Gia looked like a UFC fighter and Karen like a fitness model. A more delicate face than Gia, and smaller but more defined musculature. She's just what I was hoping for, actually. Now she just needs an HD version to better show off the muscle definition and some G3F HD vein morphs to add athletic realism to her hands, feet, and arms. (And muscle flexing morphs!)

I hope DAZ doesn't skip out on her HD version the way they did with Gia. If any character could use an HD body morph, it's one who's unique feature is muscle definition. The illogic in the G2F series of giving the glamor models all HD morphs, but skipping the only character with defined muscles and therefore a need for more anatomical detail really frustrated me. I heard word in the forums that the reason Gia never got the HD treatment was that her base figure's sales were very poor, so I guess that marks me as out of step with the DAZ figure market's taste. Her sales numbers must have been truly abysmal if that's the reason, considering that every other G2F adult got an HD version. I'm hoping Karen fares better so that she's fully supported.

That makes me feel like we wont ee Gia return and Karen might be a replacement for her since the athletic super hero theme will definitely be more popular than the muscular Gia.

I never bought Gia because muscular women are not really my thing but I always thought she had one of the best facial features among G2F : )

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,515

"I don't suppose there'll be seam guides forthcoming for V, E, B, and now K7?"

No, I won't be making seam guides for any alternate UVs. There is no demand for them, I don't own any of them, and I think textures should always be created for maximum compatibility unless absolutely necessary. I'll make them for the G3 Male the minute he comes out though.  :)

The G3 whiteness is almost blinding though, lol.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,790

I actually like the athletic look of Karen7 overall, and I think the items in her Pro Bundle are among the best offered so far.  Unfortunately, I'm still having an extremely hard time buying into G3F, for the simple reason that the skin selection just isn't there.  We're now FOUR base figures in and there are only about 25 skins total across all the various sites, almost all of which are extremely similar.  Add in the fact that it doesn't work in other programs and the little bombshell that was dropped about a number of the PAs not supporting the gen sets because of technical issues and it really seems that the whole thing just isn't properly baked yet.  If someone brings out a working skin convertor to use the V5/base G2F UV skins, I'd jump in, but as it is, DAZ is going to have to send me one of those $50 coupons to get me to invest...  

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Crawl Girl Outfit is cute.  woulda been interested in g2f version.

• Oceliane said:

Karen comes with interesting clothes, but she have the same problem as Eva had: she's more like Karen for V7, or Eva for V7, rather than Karen 7 or Eva 7: they aren't different enough to justify labelling them as a new character. I feel more like purchasing a bundle of clothes, hair, poses and morphs than to get a new character.

On the plus side, congratulations for that eclipse outfit! It looks absolutely stunning.

AAAAAmen!  Icouldn't agree with you more on everying you just said.   I also have to give a mention to the "Guardian Outfit".. I cherry picked those two out of the lineup.

zsuites3a.jpg
    800 x 553 - 50K
    The G3 whiteness is almost blinding though, lol.

blushcryingwink

I hope we will see at least one ethnic lady next month!

A little break from all the white girls would be welcome : D But more welcome would be a break from females, my heart is aching for some Michael 7 : (

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,790
    Toyen said:

I hope we will see at least one ethnic lady next month!

A little break from all the white girls would be welcome : D But more welcome would be a break from females, my heart is aching for some Michael 7 : (

Don't hold your breath.  We've already been told that there is still some G2M coming before we see the first G3M.  But hey, at least it means there's some guy stuff coming eventually. 

Yeah that is very nice but I do not intend to spend any money on "last gen" figures now that we know G3M will eventually come. I wish they would focus on delivering G3M as soon as possible instead of releasing a G2M figure.

We now have 4 ladies and none of them has a male counterpart.

And if G3M is still few months away then judging by the current speed of female releases, we might end up having 1 G3M figure for every 8-10 females : /

So yeah, not really excited for a G2M character unfortunately.