Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.22.0.15! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• no__name said:

DoctorJellybean said:

To show Parameters Settings in the Environment pane, make sure the Environment Options node is selected in the Scene pane.

Thank you. I guess there is no workaround yet for Render settings part. (Hope it's a bug and not intended, Render Settings/Environment panel was neat)

It is, though I didn't realise the implications of this entry, from 4.21.1.86

• Editor pages of the Draw Settings, Render Settings, and Simulation Settings panes now utilize a persistent “Property Options (Element)” menu

• This menu intentionally omits/excludes the actions that have no, or an undesirable, effect on the properties displayed on the Editor page of these panes

It is confusing to have the properties available in one place and not the other, though I am not sure why you want them at all (adjusting sensitivity on a slider?)

• Richard Haseltine said:

• Editor pages of the Draw Settings, Render Settings, and Simulation Settings panes now utilize a persistent “Property Options (Element)” menu

• This menu intentionally omits/excludes the actions that have no, or an undesirable, effect on the properties displayed on the Editor page of these panes

It is confusing to have the properties available in one place and not the other, though I am not sure why you want them at all (adjusting sensitivity on a slider?)

There are cases you want more than 100 minimum samples or simply need more than 15000 ones. I think the 15000 cap already break few renders (rainy forest with awful lot a translucide leaves and multiples source of light). I remember toying with minimum samples while creating masks/layers/sprites(sheet). Are these possibilities gone forever? Because that's not really great (what rendering software want to *hard cap* numbers of samples in any way? I don't get it, surely has to be a mistake or I am very confused).

• HamEinarHamEinar Posts: 106

Richard Haseltine said:

HamEinar said:

Major brainfart here as I updated GoZ - but since I'm running 4.21.1.48 it no longer works... Anyone have access to GoZ for beta 4.21.1.48 installer?! I do not want to install and run the latest beta!

Only Daz may give you the file. You could use the General reelase for GoZ purposes, or just export OBJ/import into ZBrush/Export from ZBrush/Import to DS.

How do I get in touch with "Daz" to get this - as I am paying $35 a month for ZBrush.

• HamEinar said:

How do I get in touch with "Daz" to get this - as I am paying $35 a month for ZBrush.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new ;

• HamEinarHamEinar Posts: 106

DoctorJellybean said:

HamEinar said:

https://bugs.daz3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new ;

Thanks! Request submitted, holding breath...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,550

crosswind said:

HamEinar said:

Major brainfart here as I updated GoZ - but since I'm running 4.21.1.48 it no longer works... Anyone have access to GoZ for beta 4.21.1.48 installer?! I do not want to install and run the latest beta!

I have... dated Nov of last year. But I have no way to share.

It is not permissible to share under the EULA

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,127

frank0314 said:

crosswind said:

HamEinar said:

I have... dated Nov of last year. But I have no way to share.

It is not permissible to share under the EULA

I know ~~ 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,409

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

After opening a scene from the Recents list, modifying it and resaving it, the next time I opened File>New, the old thumbnail for the resaved scene was still shown. I checked and verified that the thumbnail and tip file had been replaced when the file was resaved, but the new thumbnail is not shown in the reopened File>New. This is the complete scenario that I did:

1. File>New.
    2. Multi-select three scene files, staring with Nathan 9 HD Finger To Lips_001.duf.
    3. The contents of all three scenes were displayed merged in my viewport as expected. The filename shown was Nathan 9 HD Finger To Lips_001.duf as expected.
    4. (Go off and eat dinner, come back)
    5. Ctrl+N to execute File>New.
    6. Press enter to immediately open my default new scene as suggested in the forum.
    7. Accidently press enter again - oops, I think that told it I wanted to save the scene before loading the new one. I didn't really want to overwrite my scene with the combo of three scenes in this case.
    8. Ctrl+N again to reopen the File>New window to see if I made the mistake of saving the file like I thought I did.
    9. I see that the same old thumbnail is displayed for Nathan 9 HD Finger To Lips_001.duf, so I think that I did not overwrite it after all.
    10. Go to Windows Explorer and see that yes indeed, there is a new Nathan 9 HD Finger To Lips_001.duf as well as a new duf.png and a new tip.png that show that the file was overwritten.
    11. File>New again to see if the thumbnail has been updated.
    12. I see that no, the same old out of date thumbnail is still  displayed.
    13. Select the Nathan 9 HD Finger To Lips_001.duf and open it.
    14. Yes indeed, the file has been overwritten with the combo of three scenes. The File>New thumbnail is just wrong.

So, in summary, the fact that the scene file was overwritten was entirely my fault, but the fact that the thumbnail in File>New is out of date and misleading looks like a Daz Studio error. If a Recents file is resaved, the thumbnail in Recents should be updated.

(Don't feel bad for me for overwriting my scene. My scene data is automatically synced with my Synology NAS, and I easily recovered the scene from the previous version on the NAS.)

What were your settings for thumbnails? Does the old thumbnail still exist, as well as the new?

I am attaching a screenshot of my preferences tab that includes the thumbnail settings.  The original thumbnail was duf.png, like the new one. There was no old thumbnail still in the folder. It was overwritten. I have since restored my scene, thumbnail and tip files to their previous version, so I no longer have the new ones, though.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 135249 Thumbnail prefs.jpg
    778 x 706 - 110K
    edited October 2023

The problem with the wrong (old, out of date) thumbnail is easily reproducible for me. You don't have to merge scenes or go eat dinner and come back laugh. Interestingly, even though the old thumbnail is shown, hovering over it shows the new tip file. If I look at the files in Windows Explorer, both the thumbnail and the tip are the new correct images.

Question: Does answering "Yes" to this prompt not update some cached thumbnail or something?

Screenshot 2023-10-26 142512.jpg
    400 x 98 - 12K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

The problem with the wrong (old, out of date) thumbnail is easily reproducible for me. You don't have to merge scenes or go eat dinner and come back laugh. Interestingly, even though the old thumbnail is shown, hovering over it shows the new tip file. If I look at the files in Windows Explorer, both the thumbnail and the tip are the new correct images.

Question: Does answering "Yes" to this prompt not update some cached thumbnail or something?

Yes, there is an asset icon cache - the failure in updating it is being investigated, thank you.

• no__name said:

Richard Haseltine said:

There are cases you want more than 100 minimum samples or simply need more than 15000 ones. I think the 15000 cap already break few renders (rainy forest with awful lot a translucide leaves and multiples source of light). I remember toying with minimum samples while creating masks/layers/sprites(sheet). Are these possibilities gone forever? Because that's not really great (what rendering software want to *hard cap* numbers of samples in any way? I don't get it, surely has to be a mistake or I am very confused).

The issue with making these properties adjustable is that it would be easy for relatively inexperienced users to break things. I would think, though I haven';t checked, thata  script could do the job - probably starting from http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/rendering/render_settings_find_property/start

edited October 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

DoctorJellybean said:

no__name said:

No more 'Parameter Settings ...' in the Render Settings/Environment panel (see pics)

To show Parameters Settings in the Environment pane, make sure the Environment Options node is selected in the Scene pane.

I see Parameter Settings in the Parameters pane, with the node selected, but not in Render Settings, regardless of selection state.

I see the same. I don't understand the philosophy behind the inconsistency. That is confusing. Is this a gradual movement toward removing the Tone Mapping and Environment Settings from the Render Settings pane and putting them only in the Parameters pane?

If it is some issue about new users, it is already very confusing for new users to have settings in two places.

Post edited by barbult on

no__name said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Thank you. I guess there is no workaround yet for Render settings part. (Hope it's a bug and not intended, Render Settings/Environment panel was neat)

The reason for not having Parameter Settings editable via Render Settings, if I understand it correctly, is that some chnages are maintained (e.g. render size) and others not - changes made via the singleton node will save with the scene, which is a transparent behaviour (change node proerpties and the changes are in the saved scene) while chnages made via Render Settings will not in genral persist between scenes and it isn't clear that this will be the case.

I am told that it is possible to add the Parameter Setings back in, subject to the caveat about the chnages not perssiting, but I can't actually see how - Parameter Settings is in Window>Workspace>Customise under Styled Properties, but I am not sure where it needs to go (Render Settings Pane context seems the obvious choice, but the emnu won't appear when right-clicking in the pane).

Richard Haseltine said:

Richard Haseltine said:

no__name said:

DoctorJellybean said:

The reason for not having Parameter Settings editable via Render Settings, if I understand it correctly, is that some chnages are maintained (e.g. render size) and others not - changes made via the singleton node will save with the scene, which is a transparent behaviour (change node proerpties and the changes are in the saved scene) while chnages made via Render Settings will not in genral persist between scenes and it isn't clear that this will be the case.

I am told that it is possible to add the Parameter Setings back in, subject to the caveat about the chnages not perssiting, but I can't actually see how - Parameter Settings is in Window>Workspace>Customise under Styled Properties, but I am not sure where it needs to go (Render Settings Pane context seems the obvious choice, but the emnu won't appear when right-clicking in the pane).

That's all a lot to take in. There's a lot of techno-speak there, but I think I get the main gist of what you are saying. I'll have to experiment and see if it ll makes sense to me when I use it. Thanks for information.

• Adding to that, the main issue is the difference between proeprty values (what you set on the slider) and Attributes (what you can set through Parameter Settings) - not all value changes persist on their own, without loading saved settings or a scene with saved settings, but for attribute overrides to be reloaded they have to be on a node in a scene (or, where applicable, something like a character preset used to load a new item) - just applying a preset to change the value doesn't chnage the attributes (which, I imagine, is why we have the option in preferences for handling pose preset values that are beyond the limits - the pose preset itself can't change the limits).

The issue with making these properties adjustable is that it would be easy for relatively inexperienced users to break things. I would think, though I haven';t checked, thata  script could do the job - probably starting from http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/rendering/render_settings_find_property/start

No it's not and you know it? You had to do extra step to do it.
    Most "inexperienced users" were blinded from it (since ever).

It makes no sense.

Richard Haseltine said:

Adding to that, the main issue is the difference between proeprty values (what you set on the slider) and Attributes (what you can set through Parameter Settings) - not all value changes persist on their own, without loading saved settings or a scene with saved settings, but for attribute overrides to be reloaded they have to be on a node in a scene (or, where applicable, something like a character preset used to load a new item) - just applying a preset to change the value doesn't chnage the attributes (which, I imagine, is why we have the option in preferences for handling pose preset values that are beyond the limits - the pose preset itself can't change the limits).

This is making me dizzy! indecision property, parameter, attribute, node...???

Is there a difference between a property and a parameter? On the Parameters pane, is each of the things listed an individual property or an individual parameter? If they are individual properties (as when you talk about "property sliders" above) why does the gear icon give access to Parameter Settings and not Property Settings? Or are property and parameter really the same thing, and terminology is just used inconsistently to confuse the innocent user?surprise

When I open Parameter Settings, are all the changeable things in that dialog "attributes"?

When you say "not all value changes persist on their own", what "value changes" are you talking about, value changes on property sliders or attribute value changes in Parameter Settings dialogs? Or both? Or something else? And what does "on their own" mean? What is an example of things (Daz Studio related) that do exist "on their own", for comparison to understand.

See what you get for trying to help people - more questions. You have saintly patience, Richard.

• Its 2023 and Daz bricked their path tracer engine to 15k sample. Fricking genious.

• no__name said:

Its 2023 and Daz bricked their path tracer engine to 15k sample. Fricking genious.

No, they didn't - but it is true that the path to editing the limits is less direct now.

• barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Adding to that, the main issue is the difference between proeprty values (what you set on the slider) and Attributes (what you can set through Parameter Settings) - not all value changes persist on their own, without loading saved settings or a scene with saved settings, but for attribute overrides to be reloaded they have to be on a node in a scene (or, where applicable, something like a character preset used to load a new item) - just applying a preset to change the value doesn't chnage the attributes (which, I imagine, is why we have the option in preferences for handling pose preset values that are beyond the limits - the pose preset itself can't change the limits).

This is making me dizzy! indecision property, parameter, attribute, node...???

Is there a difference between a property and a parameter? On the Parameters pane, is each of the things listed an individual property or an individual parameter? If they are individual properties (as when you talk about "property sliders" above) why does the gear icon give access to Parameter Settings and not Property Settings? Or are property and parameter really the same thing, and terminology is just used inconsistently to confuse the innocent user?surprise

When I open Parameter Settings, are all the changeable things in that dialog "attributes"?

When you say "not all value changes persist on their own", what "value changes" are you talking about, value changes on property sliders or attribute value changes in Parameter Settings dialogs? Or both? Or something else? And what does "on their own" mean? What is an example of things (Daz Studio related) that do exist "on their own", for comparison to understand.

See what you get for trying to help people - more questions. You have saintly patience, Richard.

Sorry, yes Proerpties and parameters are the same things - proeprties is their proper name, so it is true that calling them paramters is wrong and that the name of the Parameters pane is not entirely correct (unless we are both missing something). Yes, the things in Parameter Settings are attributes of the parameter-property.

Yes, values of the property was what I meant. As for on their own, I was meaning that the resolution will stick - if you change it and create a new scene, or relaunch DS, the value will still be the new value set. Most other render settings, however, revert to their defaults on creating a new scene or relaunching - they need to be set to non-default values by a preset, scene, or manual adjustment. Attribute changes do not persist on new scenes or restarts, and cannot be altered by presets - those need to belong to an object (such as the Environment or tone mapping settings nodes, items in the scene) to save and reload.

Thank you for further clarification.

• I asked at the common section but was asked to ask here instead, here's my post:

I use 4.15, but lately I downloaded the latest beta to be able to work w daz at the same time as it was working some clothes conversions. I loved the ground fog thing. So trying to render but to my horror there is no way to set the highest value of max samples and max time, I cl on th gear thing and get locked or unlocked, hide un hide, fav or no fav, re set the value to the default I guess, but no parameter editor to set a Way HIGHER highest value. I always set both of those at a very high value, no idea what it does, but that has served me perfectly for all my ys using daz. Now there is no way to edit the default highest value, so daz 4.21 decides my highest max value and time?? forces me? Would be so grateful for some help w this, as I loved the ground fog so much, so I want to be able to use it in some renders, but if I can't set my own render settings the way I want in my art, then f..k ground fog. But as I said, I would love to find out a way around this. What to do? if it's a beta only thing then I have to be without that fog, as I want to keep my 4.15 and I don't think I have the installer anymore for it. Thanks in advance for help w thisheart. Daz is serious business for me so panicking right now. 

Googling tells me that no one but me have every had this issue, as I find no recult for it, no help. Have they really removed the parameters editor for max samples and max time?

no__name said:

Its 2023 and Daz bricked their path tracer engine to 15k sample. Fricking genious.

No, they didn't - but it is true that the path to editing the limits is less direct now.

Joke apart, if I want an unlimited number of samples in say two hours, how should I proceed? I am confusion.

no__name said:

Richard Haseltine said:

no__name said:

Joke apart, if I want an unlimited number of samples in say two hours, how should I proceed? I am confusion.

As per the request, in our normal way, just set -1 into Max Samples and 7200 into Max Time.

If you ever checked Use Limit in Max Samples Param Settings with a range from 0 to xxxxxx... but now 'Parameter Settings' menu item is gone in the latest PB, you 'have no way' to tweak the range ...

A trick could be -:
    1. Save a Render Settings Preset with 'Compress File' option unchecked.
    2. Open the Preset duf file with Notepad++, search 'Max Samples' and modify the coding as attached screenshot...
    3. Save and load the Render Settings Preset.

SNAG-2023-10-27-0029.png
    1052 x 1398 - 129K
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,959

Finally seeing some fixes on the animation tools but still the biggest bugs aren't getting any better:

Timeline: Impossible to move root keyframes (The very first one, those you get collapsing everything) unless a key is created in the very last line, usually Cast Shadow. This adds an extra step that wasn't necessary before.
    Timeline: Clicking-holding on the upper line the cursor jumps in position but isn't dragged immediately like before, it needs to be clicked once again. This adds an extra step that wasn't necessary before.
    Timeline: Impossible to copy-paste keyframes. Especially with complex posing on rigged chars, everything gets mangled in a very bad way and DAZ Studio freezes to death as soon as you preview the copy-pasted sequence. The only work around is to select all the keyframes, set to linear and then back to the needed tweener. Props that need Linear tweener need to be set twice. This adds a lot of extra steps that wasn't encessary before and also makes DAZ Studio unstable.
    Timeline: The "play all frames" option is automatically set to off at every re-run of the app. This adds another extra step.
    Parameters+Graph pane: Impossible to filter specific parameters to be managed in the graph, for instance selecting the head, filtering "Smile" value and selecting it, in the Graph pane you get the X Translate value instead of Smile. This makes things longer to manage and correct.
    Interface: Impossible to use Frame Selected without getting the view moved in a very unconfortable way. The view is moved far from the object instead of next to the object, this gets worse and worse the more the prop is distant from the world's center. This makes the management of the scene harder and longer.
    Interface: Some times the tabs gets scrambled around when loading a scene from the file manager (double click).
    Fitting: Some fitting props like clothes or hair, fitted on their originally meant model (Not refitted) gets deformed and misplaced if the char isn't at its 100% size value.
    Puppeteer: User created morphs and aliases and some commercial morphs aren't stored in the "contorl dots".
    Puppeteer: In some cases loading a scene from an older version of DAZ Studio completely wipes all the tabs and control dots.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,064
    edited October 2023

tombraider4ever said:

I asked at the common section but was asked to ask here instead, here's my post:

I use 4.15, but lately I downloaded the latest beta to be able to work w daz at the same time as it was working some clothes conversions. I loved the ground fog thing. So trying to render but to my horror there is no way to set the highest value of max samples and max time, I cl on th gear thing and get locked or unlocked, hide un hide, fav or no fav, re set the value to the default I guess, but no parameter editor to set a Way HIGHER highest value. I always set both of those at a very high value, no idea what it does, but that has served me perfectly for all my ys using daz. Now there is no way to edit the default highest value, so daz 4.21 decides my highest max value and time?? forces me? Would be so grateful for some help w this, as I loved the ground fog so much, so I want to be able to use it in some renders, but if I can't set my own render settings the way I want in my art, then f..k ground fog. But as I said, I would love to find out a way around this. What to do? if it's a beta only thing then I have to be without that fog, as I want to keep my 4.15 and I don't think I have the installer anymore for it. Thanks in advance for help w thisheart. Daz is serious business for me so panicking right now. 

Googling tells me that no one but me have every had this issue, as I find no recult for it, no help. Have they really removed the parameters editor for max samples and max time?

One can still change the Max Time and Max Samples settings (as well as the others), just click the numbers and change it to whatever you like (max setting for max samples is 15000).

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on

tombraider4ever said:

I asked at the common section but was asked to ask here instead, here's my post:

No worry, pls follow my trick as above. There's no bug could not be fixed... I'm also learning how to be patient.... and there're always some workaround. smiley

Imago said:

Finally seeing some fixes on the animation tools but still the biggest bugs aren't getting any better:

Timeline: Impossible to move root keyframes (The very first one, those you get collapsing everything) unless a key is created in the very last line, usually Cast Shadow. This adds an extra step that wasn't necessary before.

IMO, it's not a bug as it belongs to no object...

Timeline: Clicking-holding on the upper line the cursor jumps in position but isn't dragged immediately like before, it needs to be clicked once again. This adds an extra step that wasn't necessary before.
    Timeline: Impossible to copy-paste keyframes. Especially with complex posing on rigged chars, everything gets mangled in a very bad way and DAZ Studio freezes to death as soon as you preview the copy-pasted sequence. The only work around is to select all the keyframes, set to linear and then back to the needed tweener. Props that need Linear tweener need to be set twice. This adds a lot of extra steps that wasn't encessary before and also makes DAZ Studio unstable.

Keyframes could be always copied-pasted. I most of the time just use frame-selection and copy/paste.. haven't found any problem.

Timeline: The "play all frames" option is automatically set to off at every re-run of the app. This adds another extra step.

If you save a Layout with Play all.. ticked... It'll be still checked when you launch DS next time.

Parameters+Graph pane: Impossible to filter specific parameters to be managed in the graph, for instance selecting the head, filtering "Smile" value and selecting it, in the Graph pane you get the X Translate value instead of Smile. This makes things longer to manage and correct.
    Interface: Impossible to use Frame Selected without getting the view moved in a very unconfortable way. The view is moved far from the object instead of next to the object, this gets worse and worse the more the prop is distant from the world's center. This makes the management of the scene harder and longer.
    Interface: Some times the tabs gets scrambled around when loading a scene from the file manager (double click).
    Fitting: Some fitting props like clothes or hair, fitted on their originally meant model (Not refitted) gets deformed and misplaced if the char isn't at its 100% size value.
    Puppeteer: User created morphs and aliases and some commercial morphs aren't stored in the "contorl dots".
    Puppeteer: In some cases loading a scene from an older version of DAZ Studio completely wipes all the tabs and control dots.

Commented as above... and how about that issue: after delete a hidden item then undo, it won't be shown on timeline... you still have to show it first, delete and undo... 

@Crosswind:

Yes, you can copy-paste keyframes but everything gets really bad. Try making a complex (not a simple arm moving) animation on a char and then to copy-paste the keyframes to another part of the timelime.
    About the keyframes, I can move them freely in 4.12... Why I can't do that in 4.21?
    The "play all frame" IS saved on my layout as active. When I load 4.12 all works fine, when loadind 4.21 I have to reactivate it at every run.
    The Graph pane used to grab filtered parameters fine in 4.12, it's what "Listen to parameters" option should do normally.

I don't understand that "hidden item the deleted" thing... What are you referring at?

Ah, just found another one: The animation preview doesn't run smoothly, I have to move the cursor all over the props in the scene to have the preview running.