Genesis 9 we are back in the game Carrara users

1235»

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082

Related problem?  Maybe?  maybe not?

I got an I/O error when I saved the converted blended weight G9 as a scene subset instead of a character preset.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had hopped off the G9 in Carrara train, but this issue encouraged me to give it another try.  Here are a couple pics of the G9 Pandora character by HM tested in Carrara with a Carrara sample hair.  One issue I had was that the HM Pandora character uses an overlay of somesort for the eye textures.  The Iris shader is separate from the sclera and done as an overlay.  So, I am using another G9 character's shader for the eyes.  The eyebrows and eyelashes are from the G9 base materials.  Everything was going fine for a while.  I was able to add some clothing content which had been converted to blended weight, and appropriate morphs were projected and the clothing conformed when the figure was posed.  But then something strange happened.  I had one of the clothing items selected - Carrara's interface 'blinked,' - and then Carrara's property tray would not change to newly selected figures.  Have never seen that before.  

But here are some tests before the strange interface problem.

Again, I think the G9 Pandora relies on overlays, so I am not sure that the PA's intended skin is actually showing up.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,709

Diomede said:

Related problem?  Maybe?  maybe not?

I got an I/O error when I saved the converted blended weight G9 as a scene subset instead of a character preset.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had hopped off the G9 in Carrara train, but this issue encouraged me to give it another try.  Here are a couple pics of the G9 Pandora character by HM tested in Carrara with a Carrara sample hair.  One issue I had was that the HM Pandora character uses an overlay of somesort for the eye textures.  The Iris shader is separate from the sclera and done as an overlay.  So, I am using another G9 character's shader for the eyes.  The eyebrows and eyelashes are from the G9 base materials.  Everything was going fine for a while.  I was able to add some clothing content which had been converted to blended weight, and appropriate morphs were projected and the clothing conformed when the figure was posed.  But then something strange happened.  I had one of the clothing items selected - Carrara's interface 'blinked,' - and then Carrara's property tray would not change to newly selected figures.  Have never seen that before.  

But here are some tests before the strange interface problem.

I save G9 as a Character preset, have not tried saving it as a Scene Subset.

With the eye problem I had a similar problem with the Free Sir Maverick eyes at Renderosity. Solved by combining the Iris textures with RawArts Merchant Resource Skin and then loading in the textures manually.

Pita on the property tray !!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

invisigoth said:

Bunyip02 said:

invisigoth said:

i tried saving, like what was said in the first line   "You can apply materials to the G9 and pieces (mouth etc) in Daz Studio before saving as a character preset."

but when i got back into carrara, i got the I/O error

I tried saving my Character skins a few different ways but have not gotten any I/O errors yet.

Have you tried Wendy's method yet ?

Nope, I have no idea how to
    Perhaps this will help. To follow this for something completely different, like Genesis 9, load the Genesis 1 and Genesis 9 figures in, then copy one shader from Genesis, say... the mouth, over to the mouth of Genesis 9 and change the maps to those from the Genesis 9 map folder. Then move on to the next shader... etc.,
    No idea why everything I'm typing is in Quote mode. Tries to change it but....

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I saved each as a character preset separately, they fit to it in Carrara and make sure not parented

the eyes just won't load converted but I guess one could parent those unconverted if needed

Have you tried saving as Wearables instead?

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

mmm wonder why mine fail to import, shall try my other computer Win10, was my Win 7

same thing i/0 error

maybe upload your eye duf (it's just a character preset so OK)

Here you go, was for the female morph applied to one - also shaders need some work to get to operate okay.

works yes

I wonder why mine doesn't though, 2 computers, 2 installs, 2 libraries 

mmm D|S4.21? 

Good to hear that it works for you !!!

Am running DAZ Studio 4.10

AHa

that could be the secret sauce, I have 4.11 on my Win7 but used the 4.21 beta 

same error basic wear but autofitted stuffs saved as support assets work

and grew a nice mane of dynamic hair on him (simulated animation ) Mimic plugin works with 8.1 configuration dmc too!

It's Brian!!!

"Are you ready Steve?"

"Andy?"

"Mick?"

"Alright, fellas.... Let's GOOOOO!!!!"

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I did notice the things that error get the dialogue in D|S that they are already blended weight

I wonder if converting to Traix rigging would help?

Triax is what Genesis is rigged with, and Gebesis works

What I really need is a dForce plugin for Carrara!

Can't live without my dForce Hair!

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76

Stezza said:

I guess that's why Daz sent me a 'we miss you' email today! cool

I may have gotten some of those too. But I have my filtering tweaked in Mail, though: unless "Carrara" is explicitly mentioned somewhere in the body of the message, it goes into the "Known Advertisers: Graphics" bin and I never see it unless I go looking for it. Which, why?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,826
    edited August 2023

for some reason I have stopped getting any emails from DAZ unless I buy something and they send a confirmation 

or if the DAZ Moderation Team sends one because I am naughty  devil

update

Seems marketing sales got unchecked in my account somehow 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • I have bought to much G9 content especially morphs and now Carrara struggles to load and fit it all

yes I know I will need to use Alberto's morph eraser but I have to get the stuff into the scene and conformed/fitted first, it's taking me hours!!!

One of the hairs I rendered for G9 took about 3 hours to load, then rendering took over an hour ....

V4 and M4 have their advantages !!!

edited December 2023

I reckon it's this Laticis Fibermesh hair that's the biggest resource hog, I gave up fitting it and parented it to the head instead moving the hotpoint

yes, it's a "lion's mane" cheeky

Nick0209.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

Looks good !!!

• just a Flowscape Background video I reused (not gotten around to doing a matching Carrara background yet)

I see I misaligned the hair and the animation floats a bit

How was the animation rendering time with the hair ?

• Bunyip02 said:

How was the animation rendering time with the hair ?

I used Octane but honestly I think Carrara native might have been faster, I forgot to look after I went to bed but it was supposed to take 10 hours and I never checked how long it actually took

DAZ studio iray on a different character was faster at 5 hours which was rather shocking 

I missed a lot.  I had not checked in here since August.

@Bunyip02 - thanks for the tips on my old G9 Pandora tests.  Still useful info.

@Dartanbeck - appreciate the suggestions.  yes

@WendyLuvsCatz - regarding the G9 load bloat, not surprising.  Another reason I don't like the G1 single mesh for both genders approach.  By default, all of the morphs for all characters load, even though in the overwhelming amount of cases it is not necessary to load both genders.  G9 really gets the concepts of default and exceptions backwards.

I am checking back in the G9 thread because I am inspired to try to make clothing for the more recent figures. Will share a Carrara version if I actually follow through instead of getting distracted by real life.  For my birthday, I gave myself Marvelous Designer and Substance Painter for 6 months. (Ouch, I spoil myself!)  Feel obligated to use them, a lot!, while I have them.

edited December 2023

oooh looking forward to some great clothes 

DAZ studio versions or obj even unrigged just DForce ready are fine

as long as they are welded I can get them into Carrara myself one way or another yes

edited December 2023

Early comment - both Marvelous Designer and Substance Painter have changed since I last tested them.  Both have more bells and whistles.  Yay.  Marvelous Designer has moved the tool menus around, or rearranged them.  The other issue will be how serious I want to be about UVMapping, thickness, JCMs (they have a new name for this now), FBMs, and other details.  Each issue has a learning curve, although at one time I knew how to do each one - just not at the same time.

I have about 10 videos to watch again just on the MD side.  See this thread.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/601586/daz-md-and-traditional-pattern-making-june-29-update-canterbury/p1

We shall see what we shall see.

EDIT: The other thread I need to refer to often is the Genesis 9 thread by the very generous Mada.  See - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597726/genesis-9-clothing-questions-answers/p1

EDIT 2: And will be good to keep my own Art Studio tips thread linked in same place.  See - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/244076/diomede-s-notepad-sketchpad-and-chilling-pad/p1

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 2023

uh no

I cannot load it on my Win7 with the 8 render tiles and much more powerful CPU either as it only has 16GB of RAM

update, I did get it down to 4 hours reducing render subdiv to 0

Capture.PNG
    1301 x 812 - 364K
    edited March 15

Hmm.  Problem.  I made a few simple items for G9.  Includes a dress, a top, and a skirt.  But it has been a while since I tried using G9 in Carrara.  It is not posing. I saved it as a character preset.  The conformed clothing is adopting the pose that is appliedtothe G9.  I present it in wireframe mode for forum TOS.  See the dress adopt the pose?  The pose is from the Daz Original base poses for G9.

zz00 load base g9 blended character preset.png
    2469 x 1369 - 1M
    zz01bad pose result.png
    2491 x 1351 - 1M
    Post edited by Diomede on

maybe the updates changed the Blended weights settings?

I will need to test it again too

edited March 15

Diomede said:

Hmm.  Problem.  I made a few simple items for G9.  Includes a dress, a top, and a skirt.  But it has been a while since I tried using G9 in Carrara.  It is not posing. I saved it as a character preset.  The conformed clothing is adopting the pose that is appliedtothe G9.  I present it in wireframe mode for forum TOS.  See the dress adopt the pose?  The pose is from the Daz Original base poses for G9.

Did you convert G9 to Blended Weight in DAZ Studio ?

EDIT - Wendy beat me to the draw !

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

maybe the updates changed the Blended weights settings?

I will need to test it again too

Eeeekkk, don't say things like that !

Have invested too much in G9 for it to go kaput with an update .....

Have not updated G9 with the latest update, will leave it that way untill things are confirmed/not confirmed !