962 x 674 - 142K
    aiko 8 body on genesis 9 posed in carrara.jpg
    1044 x 850 - 134K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    edited October 2022

tutorial to add all G8 morphs to G9 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7798531/#Comment_7798531

I would only chose select ones I would use myself as wouldn't  want a massive data folder

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited October 2022

For the moment, I am going to stick to one by one instead of batch conversion.  I don't like the shading domains of Genesis 9, or lack thereof.  Here is Genesis 9 with a mixture of Vicky 9, The Girl 8 (body), and Aiko 8 (body).  In jay's video he says it is better to split the head and body morphs in order to avoid scaling issues.  The clothing is from the Gensis 9 10in1 pack by OOT.  The hair is Carrara dynamic hair from the 5 Times a Lady.  There is a little poke through on the left thigh that I am not going to fix at this stage.  I still have not got VWD working again.  

g9 in carrara mix girl aiko and vicki.png
    600 x 800 - 128K
    edited October 2022

I cannot batch transfer simply because I have far too many morphs

will need to move stuff and do small batches probably 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I cannot batch transfer simply because I have far too many morphs

will need to move stuff and do small batches probably 

Penalty of having the goodies.  

Regarding earlier generation (G1, G2, G3) genesis that are in T-Pose, commons forum regular Catherine3678 has dsf file clones from the earlier generation to G8 on her Deviantart page.  Has to convert the whole T to A pose business.  Her DeviantArt page is under the same name, Catherine3678.  That may help people who want to convert morphs from an earlier generation to G9 but the default pose is a problem.  I have not tried it yet myself.

The lack of material zones on G9 is annoying,  I will either have to use the geometry editor to create some and save a character or create some opacity maps.  For example, It would be nice to be able to use or mix in Carrara procedural skin with subsurface scattering but not have it applied to the lips.

Clothing creation

Using Daz Studio as a free plugin to rig conforming meshes has gotten even better.  See this thread by Mada

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597726/genesis-9-clothing-questions/p1

edited November 2022

video 

morph and Diffuse texture from G8M Ebeneezer

(Ultimate Unwrap 3D repaint, morphloader cloned )

Dolb and Ebeneezer

Using Carrara to Create Clothing for Genesis 9.  

I posted a series of screenshots on creating clothing for Genesis 9.  The primary purpose was to show how to create and preserve thickness for garments that use DForce in Studio. Much of it is useful for those who use Studo as a free plugin to rig clothes for Carrara. It could also be used as a free substitute for VWD.  Run DForce in Studio then send the draped garment for use in Carrara with  matching figure pose.

Diomede's Notepad, Sketchpad, and Chilling Pad - Page 13 - Daz 3D Forums

• I briefly looked but I have such a huge wardrobe for all my other figures and the autofit clones are very good

I need not model my own

• Diomede said:

I posted a series of screenshots on creating clothing for Genesis 9.  The primary purpose was to show how to create and preserve thickness for garments that use DForce in Studio. Much of it is useful for those who use Studo as a free plugin to rig clothes for Carrara. It could also be used as a free substitute for VWD.  Run DForce in Studio then send the draped garment for use in Carrara with  matching figure pose.

Thanks for your efforts.  Most of it was down-the-road type of stuff for me, as I don't see d-force in my immediate furure..  However, did you ever post anything about modeling the t-shirt?  I would love to see a video on how that specific shirt is done in Carrara. 

I am probably in the minority here, so if it is too much trouble, I completely understand.

edited November 2022

UnifiedBrain said:

Diomede said:

Thanks for your efforts.  Most of it was down-the-road type of stuff for me, as I don't see d-force in my immediate furure..  However, did you ever post anything about modeling the t-shirt?  I would love to see a video on how that specific shirt is done in Carrara. 

I am probably in the minority here, so if it is too much trouble, I completely understand.

You will find a ZIP file with a similar shirt attached to the comment here.  A screenshot tutorial of the steps to make the shirt,UVMap, and create shader domains is in the posts above it.

No one asked me - Diomede posts screenshots on whatever - Page 41 - Daz 3D Forums

test render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 19K
  • Thanks for the shirt freebie!  My interest in the previous shirt was because of the scooped neck.  How difficult is it to scoop the neck?

Yup. You can use the method in the tutorial to create any neckline you want.  Just download the above starter mesh.  Delete the existing collar.  Delete further down the neckline to taste.  Then select the edges of the hole and extrude a collar inward to taste.

This comment demonstrates with screenshots.

No one asked me - Diomede posts screenshots on whatever - Page 40 - Daz 3D Forums

• Thanks Diomede!  Your advice gave me the boost to figure it out.

• are there any instruction for using Gen 9 in Carrara?

when i try, the bones are posed, but the model isn't

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

invisigoth said:

are there any instruction for using Gen 9 in Carrara?

when i try, the bones are posed, but the model isn't

did you read from the first post in this thread?

there is info posted as to what to do wink 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

Diomede said:

Yup. You can use the method in the tutorial to create any neckline you want.  Just download the above starter mesh.  Delete the existing collar.  Delete further down the neckline to taste.  Then select the edges of the hole and extrude a collar inward to taste.

No one asked me - Diomede posts screenshots on whatever - Page 40 - Daz 3D Forums

That was the first thing I saw when I got back to the forums. You do such excellent tutorials! Brilliant, Diomede!

edited December 2022

Dartanbeck said:

Diomede said:

That was the first thing I saw when I got back to the forums. You do such excellent tutorials! Brilliant, Diomede!

Thanks.  I am on the Genesis 9 train at the moment.  There are several forum regulars providing in depth instruction on how to create content for conforming and draping clothing.  Mada and Bohemian3 in particular, and there are others as well.  Thank you, Mada!  Thank you, Bohemian3!  They post videos, which is great.  I like written manuals or similar.  Therefore, I have been documenting for myself the steps I take to try to follow along.  The conformers should work in Carrara using the 'blended' rigging, and saving as character presets.  I think VWD should be able to substitute for DForce.  Unfortunately, my VWD has been broken since my hard drive failure.  I had backups of all the files but the drive references are screwed up somehow.  Bottom line, I will be posting another screenshot tutorial on using Marvelous Designer to make clothing for a specific Genesis 9 full body morph, and then conforming and draping in Studio.  The result should also work as a conformer and VWD item in Carrara.

Here is a basic loose skirt that I made specifically for the shape of Victoria 9.

Here is the same skirt with a pattern applied the G9 morphed to a mix of a demon, Michael 9, and Toon.  I am particularly happy with the UVs.  It needs some additional work, such as creating a DForce Add-On for thickness.

077 result dforce drape bend leg.jpg
    1227 x 879 - 157K
    082 ao abstract fabric applied.jpg
    1375 x 748 - 187K

I have a perpetual license for an old version of Marvelous Designer, from before they went subscription.  MD has been adding tools specifically for Daz Studio, but it is subscription only now.  angry

edited December 2022

Note that the above skirt is just a concept test.  With learning, I will do things differently going forward.  For example, the mesh of this skirt has too many polygons, which can be adjusted during the creation process in Marvelous Designer, or changed through retopology.  There seemes to be a difference of opinion about the value of 'clean' edge flow on items intended to be draped.  I asked Fugazi about it in one of the free webinars that Jay Versluis does for Daz (see the blog page for occasional announcements), and was told that some randomness is better for DForce (and presumably VWD).  I have discovered that you can retain basic randomness but still get important edges in Marvelous Designer by dividing fabric panels where you want edges.  So hopefully you can see the straight blue line separating the waistband from the main skirt in the attached pic.  That edge corresponds to the connecting edge between the horizontal bottom line of the two rectangles in the UV map and the edge of the inner circular hole of the main skirt.  I suspect new versions of MD can create the line without such manipulation of panels but am not willing to go to subscription to find out.

083 very dense mesh.jpg
    1874 x 961 - 237K

Diomede said:

I have a perpetual license for an old version of Marvelous Designer, from before they went subscription.  MD has been adding tools specifically for Daz Studio, but it is subscription only now.  angry

I loathe those subscription-only models. Sucks! Oh well. I just say away.

edited December 2022

I completely understand. I do a Lot of concept testing. In fact, that's what I consider my last eleven or so years!

VWD Rocks!!! Everything that can't be glued to the collision actor needs to be welded, but I think all of your models are one mesh, right? 

I've done a quite a bit of modeling for dForce and for VWD. When it comes to costumes for my hero actors, I buy from the store and edit the mesh and do it that way - so instead of modeling, it's more like un-modeling. DS Rocks for converting mesh to conforming... anything!

That cyberpunk costume Rosie is wearing is mostly Complicated Eve for V3, but it's been tweaked. 

I love how both dForce and VWD help me make cloth more convincing that it's raining, and she's wet. I've been finding that even tight(ish) fitting clothes still look better in animations if their simulated by one or the other. I've also found that, what works really good in one might not work so good in the other, but if it doesn't work at all in one, chances are the other will be able to solve it - so I've been having tremendous sucess.

For cloth, I really like how VWD works in Carrara. Since it has to write a new OBJ morph for each frame, and that gets stored in the CAR file, not only do the simulations survive being saved, closed and reopened, but we can also finish one simulation and then do another, and another. Can't do that as easily in DS with VWD, but dForce relishes it.

I have a start with Genesis 9 and I'm a big fan of the new figure. Big Time! I love the new geometry. Did you notice the way the FACS is built into the figure's pose controls? I did that for Rosie 7 using the Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls product. That was money well spent for me. I made a full set of body animation controls for Genesis 3 Female. Adding FACS to it really makes it complete. I'll likely do a better, cleaner product-like version for Genesis 9, but I won't need to add the FACS.

Making clothing and other simulation objects actually got me to try Hexagon a bit while my Carrara was broken. I'm still lost in a lot of ways in Hex, but it's a nice little modeler. I have yet to try the UV Mapping with it. Looking forward though. I'm also excited that they're dusting it off again and it's back in development - or so I've heard somewhere.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 2022

I don't have much for Genesis 9 yet. I have too much invested in motion captures for generations 4 through Genesis 8 that I can't efficiently convert yet. Once that happens, I'll likely make the switch. I love Genesis 9!

Here was my first test when I didn't have anything but what comes with the DS update. Chopped up Aeon Soul's Y'Vas a bit, but it fits nice and so does the hair.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Oh... and that's not supposed to be Rosie - just a Genesis 9 test! LOL

RT7CPT_SwrdExhausted01a060.png
    1000 x 1000 - 517K
    Genesis 9 1st Test.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 2022

Dartanbeck said:

Making clothing and other simulation objects actually got me to try Hexagon a bit while my Carrara was broken. I'm still lost in a lot of ways in Hex, but it's a nice little modeler. I have yet to try the UV Mapping with it. Looking forward though. I'm also excited that they're dusting it off again and it's back in development - or so I've heard somewhere.

I have been dabbling with a lot of tools.  I like the bridge from Daz Studio to Hexagon.  But I don't see Hexagon as much different from Carrara, so am more likely to just use Carrara for the kinds of things the Hexagon bridge is used for.  Blender.  Have made several Blender donuts, for those familiar with the iconic Blender modeling tutorial video.  The new interface is a game changer for me.  I'm still more comfortable modeling in Carrara, but I am getting more and more comfortable in Blender.  The UVMapping in particular in Blender is so much better.  I have tried a lot of programs to UVMap, including two programs dedicated to UVMapping, two sculpting programs, Hexagon, Blender, and Carrara.  I am having the most practical UV success with Blender for models being UVMapped in a program other than the program the model was created in.  Other programs.  I have done a few free trials for various programs and have purchased a few.  Mentioned Marvelous Designer.  Substance Painter.  Got perpetual before they went subscription.  On the other hand, it annoys me I don't have access to the newer tools being developed and cannot upgrade without going subscription.  Just a matter of time before an operating system update forces my hand.  ZBrush.  I dove into ZBrush for a free trial.  Even did a training course.  It would be great for doing the smoothing morphs of JCMs and similar, but not worth the expense to me if that is my only use.  Maybe I will pay for a ZBrush subscription down the line or get the smaller core package.  But for now, any modeler can smooth joints.  

My biggest use for the Hexagon bridge is to tweak clothing on the fly, and turn that tweak into a morph. Of course I have to do that with the Base figure shape - not Rosie's. Found that out the hard way, but it only makes sense.

I also used it to add morphs to things that otherwise don't have morphs. For example I turned a flashlight into a lightsaber. Didn't turn out as good as I'd have liked, so I didn't save it. But it was a fun experiment.

Like you, I prefer to just use the Carrara modeler.

Yes, I saw you're results from Blender Guru's tutorial! He's awesome, eh? 

If I did more modeling stuff like you do, I'd totally devote more time to Blender. But for now it'll just be something that I might dabble with from time to time between projects. But not much more. But I used to say that about Daz Studio, so we never really know, do we?

Man, if I didn't just finish off the carrot cake, I'd be hungry for a donut with pink frosting and sprinkles!

edited December 2022

Basically another test like the one I did above.  I made a fresh attempt to load the textures for Victoria 9.    I added some subsurface scattering to the skin texture.  Used Jay Versluis's method to transfer Genesis 8 character morphs to Genesis 9.  Here is a mixture of the G8F Janet character with Victoria 9.  Hair is a Carrara dynamic hair I made for Genesis 2 - fortunately on a hair cap so can be used on other figures.

Overall, for the moment, I think I could get better results in Carrara with Genesis 2, and with less hassle.  The biggest issue seems to be the joints.  Noodles.  Not sure if the cause is JCMs, or maybe how blended rigging affects weightmapping, or...   Perhaps as the utility producers like Xevo and RSSY offer joint corrections it will improve.  Or maybe the error is mine and it will get better as I learn the figure more.

One of these renders has indirect lighting checked and the other does not.  Make a difference with the subsurface scattering I added to the skin?

Test RenderVictoria Mixed with Janet.jpg
    600 x 800 - 27K
    Test 2 RenderVictoria Mixed with Janet.jpg
    600 x 800 - 27K
    edited December 2022

Test of Face Morphs and Canned Expressions

This is just a test of applying a pose expression to a face that has been morphed with a custom morph.  Recent genesis figures combine geometry morphing with manipulating facial bone rigs.  I created a full body morph for G9 making sure to change the height so the eyes etc would have to move with the morph.  Changed some other facial features like the brow ridge, cheeks, jaw, etc that could be affected by facial bones for arching the brows and opening the mouth.  Then I applied an expression for G9 acquired from Daz.  The eyes, eyelashes, eyebrows, and mouth appear to have morphed reasonably well with the FBM I created, and matched the pose expression change.  I will put the steps in my 'No One Asked Me' thread.

aa27b apply expression eyes eybrows eyelashes etc seem in correct place see arch left eyebrow copy.jpg
    1145 x 832 - 161K