AOBB's Sweetheart (and v2)head morph for G8.1F inspired by Marilyn Monroe. No materials or textures.

Comments

• AOBBAOBB Posts: 957

If you want to be even more true to the style of the original picture, Mark, then here are some possible outfits for Sweetheart:

https://www.daz3d.com/showgirl-outfit-for-genesis-3-female-s

https://www.daz3d.com/bustier-dress-for-genesis-2-female-s

And a matching fascinator:

https://www.daz3d.com/hadara-hair

Enjoy!

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,918
    edited July 2022

Time for another render

Marilyn_Camera.png
    1822 x 1366 - 4M
    Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

DoctorJellybean said:

Time for another render

What a beautifully done retro render of Marlynn M.!!

A movie icon in her most iconic scene! Good job, @DoctorJellybean!smileyyes I love all the details you put into the image. It must have been quite a lot of work. Congratulations!

• Mark OREZMark OREZ Posts: 75
    edited July 2022

AOBB said:

If you want to be even more true to the style of the original picture, Mark, then here are some possible outfits for Sweetheart:

https://www.daz3d.com/showgirl-outfit-for-genesis-3-female-s

https://www.daz3d.com/bustier-dress-for-genesis-2-female-s

And a matching fascinator:

https://www.daz3d.com/hadara-hair

Enjoy!

Hello AOBB and thank you very much, definitely good ideas. I don't know how you find that but very very cool ! Sweetheart is getting more fans / renders, that's cool.

Post edited by Mark OREZ on

DoctorJellybean: Great image / render. Congrats. I'm happy to see our friend "sweetheart" in a new image specially when it looks good.

edited July 2022

Here are todays renders.

Followed many good advices from AOBB, special thanks to her. Thanks to nonesuch00 too.

I hope this one looks better :) I reverted some stuff back because it was better and not improving.

The new outfit of sweetheart looks splendid doesnt it ?

This is not over I have ideas to keep improving it, but this is for the next episodes.

Orignal:

B&W:

Colorised (AI colors from adobe neural filter totally random from one render to another one):

Thank you for watching.

202207202021.jpg
    2400 x 2588 - 3M
    202207202021_modif.jpg
    600 x 647 - 158K
    202207202021_deoldify.jpg
    600 x 647 - 168K

Hi Mark,

I think the red bustier looks best. In the original image Mitchum is looking straight at the camera and I think that's a good thing. The background seems kind of dark and and oppresive to me. In general I would boost the lighting levels and go for more softer lighting that would be more flattering to the characters. Maybe try moving the camera a bit, so the characters are more centered. Those are my thoughts for now. Thank you for sharing your WIP with us! yessmiley

AOBB said:

Hi Mark,

I think the red bustier looks best. In the original image Mitchum is looking straight at the camera and I think that's a good thing. The background seems kind of dark and and oppresive to me. In general I would boost the lighting levels and go for more softer lighting that would be more flattering to the characters. Maybe try moving the camera a bit, so the characters are more centered. Those are my thoughts for now. Thank you for sharing your WIP with us! yessmiley

Hi AOBB, yes that red bustier is awesome.Correct, in the original image Mitchum is looking to the his right side need to change this. I'm making various tests on the lighting. I'll give it a try with a brighter background, and different camera position. Thank you for comment, advice, toughts. smiley

Thank you for considering my advice, Mark! I hope it will prove helpful. smiley

edited July 2022

Hi AOBB, todays render with some small changes. A brighter backdrop and a hair fascinator.

What do you think about that hair fascinator ? This one was not a fascinator purpose, haha.

And I discussed a little bit with the tough guy to ask him if he could look correctly to the camera, he seems to agree now smiley

Didnt forget the other advice you gave on lighting, maybe next time.

202207222052.jpg
    2400 x 2588 - 4M

Definitely an improvement, though I don't see the Tough Guy looking straight at me (which would be the case if he looked into the camera). Love the fascinator!!! smiley

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I like your latest render of them better too.

edited July 2022

Hi AOBB and nonesuch00, I'm really happy to chat with you. Listening to your ideas tweak this and that is much more cool to me.

And of course read your kind and honest comments makes me happy too + helps a lot !

AOBB: I fooled my self haha with that camera. What I want to do is match the reference image in which it looks like they are looking to their bottom right but I dont know why they do this. 

I'll create another camera slighty different if possible without too many changes. We'll get a different point of sight.

Fascinator looked like a very important feature and I started to think much more about it when you suggested Harara hair, fascinator. But it wasnt exactly what I was looking for.

It was important to me to get a feather look so I tweaked the "Feather Duster" by keeping only the feathers of it. Cames from i13 Maid Ensemble and Poses for the Genesis 3 Female(s)

It took a full series of adjustements to get there.

Now I would like to work on lighting, I feel that a rembrandt style lighting or something close can improve things and give more life to the face of the two characters.

Later I want to create also a portrait with sweetheart have some nice ideas, something a little bit like this but where we can see the entire character sat on a chair ... or like that would be perfect to me.

I'll be out for holidays next thursday so I wont bother you too much for 2/3 weeks ;)

You are really giving this image all you've got, Mark! Good, creative thinking with the "fascinator".yes. I'm curious what you will come up with for Sweetheart alone... Have a nice vacation and remember - you are not bothering me. It is fun to observe your creative process. smiley

edited July 2022

Thank you AOBB ;) I wish you good vacation too if you take some rest ;)

I could spend weeks on an image, render .... or sometimes just 10 minutes. haha crazy me.

I've attached a file called "double exposure" try to watch it full screen without getting dizzy smiley

202207231941_double_exposure.jpg
    2400 x 2588 - 1M

That was fun... in a "dizzy" sort of way! laugh

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Holy Cow!
    You guys are really awesome at this... really cool.
    From AOBB's sculpts to Mark's renders... very well done!

AOBB said:

That was fun... in a "dizzy" sort of way! laugh

Thank you ;) 

Chumly said:

Holy Cow!
    You guys are really awesome at this... really cool.
    From AOBB's sculpts to Mark's renders... very well done!

Thank you for your kind comment. AOBB did a really great job with her morphs. I try to use the morphs  respectfully to her job and the original characters. Giving them the respect they deserve.

@Mark_OREZ_4815 - Thank you for showing respect to the people I sculpt and not doing with their likenesses things that they might consider offensive.

@Chumly - Thank you!

smiley

AOBB

edited July 2022

AOBB:

I think this is the final product.

Changing the camera position was a very good advice.

The lighting seems far better now, much more subtile with shadows giving more details on the sculpting.

Also add a light to give more life on though guy eyes. Had to change a little bit the sweetheart hair because of the camera position, it looks even better.

Sweetheart and Tough Guy have a nice portrait now. Wish I had more talent and knowledge to improve this. But that's it for now.

Thank you very much for your help, advices and of course for making this great morphs.

Thank you also nonesuch00 for your comments and help.

Final:

Reference:

First image:

202207242023_modif.jpg
    2400 x 2588 - 1M

Looking good, Mark. Nice mood lighting, colors and posing. You've come a long way and it was all worth it! Congratulations! yessmiley

edited July 2022

Pretty darn excellent. If you've never used the Power Poser in DS to manipulate individial bones on the face rig you can get it even closer. It's really good now, I'm making the suggestion in case you've never used the tool before.

I tried doing a portrait of them yesterday, different photo, but couldn't figure out which skin materials to use and lighting was giving me trouble. I will try again later this week maybe.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Hi @nonesuch00 - I really like the PBR skin material of Mousso's Rain HD for G8.1F. I believe it will work great for Sweetheart. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestion's for Tough Guy's skin. I just used the base model's material in my promo renders. I have bought several male characters especially for their skin materials but I'm not happy with them, so no recommendations from me here.

I'm very curious what you will come up with! smiley

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,918

AOBB said:

A movie icon in her most iconic scene! Good job, @DoctorJellybean!smileyyes I love all the details you put into the image. It must have been quite a lot of work. Congratulations!

Thank you! It took a little while laugh

Saphirewild said:

What a beautifully done retro render of Marlynn M.!!

Thank you very much.

Mark_OREZ_4815 said:

DoctorJellybean: Great image / render. Congrats. I'm happy to see our friend "sweetheart" in a new image specially when it looks good.

I'm glad you like it.

edited July 2022

AOBB: Thank you for your kind comment. I was motivated to improve things by following your advices which were great ! Congratulations to you. Keep on the good morphs creation.

nonesuch00:

Thank you too ;) Didn't know the "Power Poser in DS". This is great stuff my friend. I played with the parameters/pose controls which take wastes a lot of time. I'll definitely use Power Poser on the next creations, thank you ! 

For though guy I used: Michael 8.1 HD (but not all the details) and used one map from Thomas to Michael 8.1 (modified the cheeks to be less redish). Don't buy this products if you don't need them. 8.1 male should be enough to start. Then use AOBB morph (most important ingredient)

Then used "Aging morphs" to had more wrinkles and rough/bad skin.

Of course this wasnt enough. But I didnt want to edit too much the skin maps because I avoid awkward / inconsistent results. It deserves some fresh shaved skin, greyed out, I believe.

Lighting is no easy task there a tons of possibilites. I believe this should be done after everything else looks good. On my image one light would be enough to get the rembrandt style.

I did this (obviously I'm not the photograph. He's Glyn Dewis):

One light on the side a little bit ahead of the caracters.

Used "Iray Ghost Light Kit One" > "IGLK1 Dish Light" ... It's possible to get the same result by tweaking DS lights.

In my case I also used 2 point lights on the top of the room, right side only .... 

You'll find out one ton of lighting products, most important to me was to understand how lighing works in real world photography.

I'm far from perfect on this area (I just keep scratching the surface haha). One last advice on lighting is testing, testing, testing. 

And if money isnt a problem check this: Rosa - Complete Photo Shoot & Retouching Tutorial. I have to watch it all over again because it's so great.

edited July 2022

AOBB said:

Hi @nonesuch00 - I really like the PBR skin material of Mousso's Rain HD for G8.1F. I believe it will work great for Sweetheart. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestion's for Tough Guy's skin. I just used the base model's material in my promo renders. I have bought several male characters especially for their skin materials but I'm not happy with them, so no recommendations from me here.

I'm very curious what you will come up with! smiley

I don't have any Mousso characters yet (I know, SHOCK!) but I do have quite a few others. I will compare Rain to what I do have, maybe Marilla (she's a favorite of mine).  I'm also having trouble with the hair for Marilynn. I own one or two that I thought might work but they don't, in spite of one looking like her hair when she was Norma Jean Baker/Daugherty and not yet Marilyn Monroe.

I think I will try them both as realistic and as toons (using Cartoonized) as I think Marilyn might work well using some of the materials for the characters in The Girl 8 Pro Bundle.

edited July 2022

Mark_OREZ_4815 said:

AOBB: Thank you for your kind comment. I was motivated to improve things by following your advicew which were great ! Congratulations to you. Keep on the good morphs creation.

nonesuch00:

Thank you too ;) Didn't know the "Power Poser in DS". This is great stuf my friend. I played with the parameters/pose controls which take wastes a lot of time. I'll definitely use Power Poser on the next creations, thank you ! 

For though guy I used: Michael 8.1 HD (but not all the details) and used one map from Thomas to Michael 8.1 (modified the cheeks to be less redish). Don't buy this products if you don't need them. 8.1 male should be enough to start. Then use AOBB morph (most important ingredient)

Then used "Aging morphs" to had more wrinkles and rough/bad skin.

Of course this wasnt enough. But I didnt want to edit too much the skin maps because I avoid awkward / inconsistent results. It deserves some fresh shaved skin, greyed out, I believe.

Lighting is no easy task there a tons of possibilites. I believe this should be done after everything else looks good. On my image one light would be enough to get the rembrandt style.

I did this (obviously I'm not the photograph. He his Glyn Dewis):

One light on the side a little bit ahead of the caracters.

Used "Iray Ghost Light Kit One" > "IGLK1 Dish Light" ... It's possible to get the same result by tweaking DS lights.

In my case I also used 2 point lights on the top of the room, right side only .... 

You'll find out one ton of lighting products, most important to me was to understand how lighing works in real world photography.

I'm far from perfect on this area (I just keep scratching the surface haha). One last advice on lighting is testing, testing, testing. 

And if money isnt a problem check this: Rosa - Complete Photo Shoot & Retouching Tutorial. I have to watch it all over again because it's so great.

Thanks for the tips. As it happens I've had Michael 8.1 for a while and recently got Thomas on deep discount. I will try your suggestions.

A tip on the Power Pose, while you can pose from default neutral expression to your desired expression using only Power Pose and individual face rig bones it is tedious and mistake prone. Instead pose as best and close as you can using the various expression preset products you may of bought and then tweak it at the end with Power Pose. 

edited July 2022

@nonesuch00 - a trick I've learned is to combine different hair on the same figure. For example in the promo images of Sweetheart I have used the Ingrid hair and Portia 2 hair simultaenously with pretty good results. I'll check out Marilla  - thanks for the tip.

@Mark_OREZ_4815 - Wow! Thanks for all the info! I will check out Michael 8.1. Those Aging Morphs are pretty good. I thought I detected their use on Tough Guy's forehead in your renders... Yes, lighting is difficult to master. That is why I stick with The BOSS Pro Lighting system. Works great for promos and glamour images. I would also suggest that you look into HDRIs. You can get really great results with just an HDRI alone. I particularly like PixelTizzyFit's Neon Lighting Splash Suite and Radiant Skies (Golden Hour). Skies of Economy are very nice too. Just rotate and translate the dome in the environment tab of render settings to get the right lighting angle and you are basically set! 

Post edited by AOBB on