Star Trek Builders Unite 7: The Continuing Mission

Comments

• Mattymanx said:

I was just over at Foundation3D looking around and found this thread - http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20280

Its either going to inspire you or scare you but that is some beautiful work.

I dont know if this was posted yet either but the U.S.S. Shenzhou - https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/89612 - is available in Blend format

Hey, Matty, you might be able to help me regarding F3d. I've been a member for about 3 or so years, but when I was without a computer for a year I lost my login info. I can't login, but I cannot retrieve my information from the site. EVERY time I try to change my password I never recieve the email to do so. And any time I try to contact anybody to help, the email bounces back sayin Inbox is full. Is there ANY way I can get back on the site? 

• Mattymanx said:

I was just over at Foundation3D looking around and found this thread - http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20280

Its either going to inspire you or scare you but that is some beautiful work.

I dont know if this was posted yet either but the U.S.S. Shenzhou - https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/89612 - is available in Blend format

It's scary and beautiful all at the same time. And since I was planning on building a few of those places myself it's neat seeing someone else's take on it. The clear glass looking in on the computer core access is brilliant. 

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,278

I've been kicking around some Genesis 3 characters here and there and was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on using them over V4/M4/Genesis?  I've primarily been using them but I've recently become enamored with some of the options for Genesis 3. Not moving away from the classics mind you, but willing to give the relatively new models a spin. I'm not sold on Genesis 8 just yet although the Gen 8 I did try did render up pretty well, they just don't have as many options yet. 

Yup, it is possible but with some caveats. They won't look 100 percent the same, but they will be very close. 

The easiest way is to use the Generation X2 plug-in from the store. You can transfer morphs and character presets from Genesis 3 to Genesis. You can't transfer to V4 or M4, but you can transfer from them to Genesis, -2 & -3.

If you are using Genesis 3 skin textures, you'll need to convert them using DazStudio's uv map conversion down to  uv map that will work on Genesis. 

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,881

dynagirlsdaddy_c70e7535d2 said:

Hey, Matty, you might be able to help me regarding F3d. I've been a member for about 3 or so years, but when I was without a computer for a year I lost my login info. I can't login, but I cannot retrieve my information from the site. EVERY time I try to change my password I never recieve the email to do so. And any time I try to contact anybody to help, the email bounces back sayin Inbox is full. Is there ANY way I can get back on the site? 

All I know is that registration is closed and no one can upload new files.  I am not sure why at this time.

• Timbales said:

I've been kicking around some Genesis 3 characters here and there and was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on using them over V4/M4/Genesis?  I've primarily been using them but I've recently become enamored with some of the options for Genesis 3. Not moving away from the classics mind you, but willing to give the relatively new models a spin. I'm not sold on Genesis 8 just yet although the Gen 8 I did try did render up pretty well, they just don't have as many options yet. 

Yup, it is possible but with some caveats. They won't look 100 percent the same, but they will be very close. 

The easiest way is to use the Generation X2 plug-in from the store. You can transfer morphs and character presets from Genesis 3 to Genesis. You can't transfer to V4 or M4, but you can transfer from them to Genesis, -2 & -3.

If you are using Genesis 3 skin textures, you'll need to convert them using DazStudio's uv map conversion down to  uv map that will work on Genesis. 

I meant more using Genesis 3 instead of using V4/M4 and Genesis as opposed to moving things down to older generations. Poor wording on my part.  What I think I'm going to end up doing is leaving my major characters I've spent so much time working on in the older generations as is and any new characters will be Genesis 3. I've been doing some render tests and the lower poly count and iRay ready textures out of the box are REALLY agreeing with my system. Talking like an hour render instead of up to four. 

Anyway, work on the Liberty class continues. I cut out and built two airlocks into the saucer which I think other than texturing to add some weathering to her, the saucer is complete. 

So, jumped in on the secondary hull. First up, I went in and made the defector housing a LOT more modular, like it's an optional package for your car. In this case she has the external deflector instead of in the saucer so they could have the crew mess in the front of the saucer with the big windows. I've modeled some basic extruded torpedo/probe launchers as I wasn't happy with the inset ones anymore. I'm not sold on my deflector attachment and am open to more ideas there. 

Last but not least, decided to try out Genesis 3 with my face morph added on the Bethany (I think) body. I used the dress from Uzilite along with the pants for a different look. I actually kind of like this for the female crew as a more casual thing on board to go along with the other top. Textures are from RSchulte. Like I said, she rendered up REALLY fast compared to my other figures and when you want to do mroe than stills to assemble a comic, faster renders are a big bonus. 

Civilian Scout Ship WIP 14 Liberty Class.jpg
    1597 x 1489 - 199K
    Civilian Scout Ship WIP 15 Liberty Class.jpg
    1921 x 1035 - 237K
    ashley_starfleet_genesis_3_female_test_by_ashleytinger-dbr127h.png
    2160 x 1080 - 3M
    Oh, good news then, you can still use Generation X to add all of your previous generation's morphs and character presets to Genesis 3. There are also UV products in the store to use all your order textures. I could post some examples if you wanted to see how they looked before you committed.
  • Timbales said:
    Oh, good news then, you can still use Generation X to add all of your previous generation's morphs and character presets to Genesis 3. There are also UV products in the store to use all your order textures. I could post some examples if you wanted to see how they looked before you committed.

I appreciate the offer. Are these just the store examples or ones you have in your stable?

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,189
    Timbales said:

I meant more using Genesis 3 instead of using V4/M4 and Genesis as opposed to moving things down to older generations. Poor wording on my part.  What I think I'm going to end up doing is leaving my major characters I've spent so much time working on in the older generations as is and any new characters will be Genesis 3. I've been doing some render tests and the lower poly count and iRay ready textures out of the box are REALLY agreeing with my system. Talking like an hour render instead of up to four. 

Anyway, work on the Liberty class continues. I cut out and built two airlocks into the saucer which I think other than texturing to add some weathering to her, the saucer is complete. 

So, jumped in on the secondary hull. First up, I went in and made the defector housing a LOT more modular, like it's an optional package for your car. In this case she has the external deflector instead of in the saucer so they could have the crew mess in the front of the saucer with the big windows. I've modeled some basic extruded torpedo/probe launchers as I wasn't happy with the inset ones anymore. I'm not sold on my deflector attachment and am open to more ideas there. 

Last but not least, decided to try out Genesis 3 with my face morph added on the Bethany (I think) body. I used the dress from Uzilite along with the pants for a different look. I actually kind of like this for the female crew as a more casual thing on board to go along with the other top. Textures are from RSchulte. Like I said, she rendered up REALLY fast compared to my other figures and when you want to do mroe than stills to assemble a comic, faster renders are a big bonus. 

Really loving the ship design Ashley! The modular idea is a good one, it would alow different kind of deflectors or other sensors to be implimented in the same slot. Maybe even a Tractor emittor to carry cargo pods short distances where a warp speed deflector wouldn't be needed.

• Timbales said:

Really loving the ship design Ashley! The modular idea is a good one, it would alow different kind of deflectors or other sensors to be implimented in the same slot. Maybe even a Tractor emittor to carry cargo pods short distances where a warp speed deflector wouldn't be needed.

Thanks! Yeah there's definitely opportunity for a variety of pods to be attached there. They wouldn't even need the deflector on the ship if the owner of this particular vessel hadn't gone for the crew mess in the saucer instead of an internal warp deflector. ;)  

There is a small cargo bay inside the secondary hull along with a 1 shuttle shuttlebay. It onyl holds four of those cargo pods we saw in the TOS Trek films though. Nothing too huge cargo wise. There's an option to attach something to the deflector pod at the back as well and I could completely see a cargo pod being an option there for Liberty owners who wanted to be able to shuttle cargo and people more easily. Plenty of room between the mid to rear of the secondary hull for one of those. Now that I think about it, I may have to model something up for that. ;)

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,189
    Timbales said:

Thanks! Yeah there's definitely opportunity for a variety of pods to be attached there. They wouldn't even need the deflector on the ship if the owner of this particular vessel hadn't gone for the crew mess in the saucer instead of an internal warp deflector. ;)  

There is a small cargo bay inside the secondary hull along with a 1 shuttle shuttlebay. It onyl holds four of those cargo pods we saw in the TOS Trek films though. Nothing too huge cargo wise. There's an option to attach something to the deflector pod at the back as well and I could completely see a cargo pod being an option there for Liberty owners who wanted to be able to shuttle cargo and people more easily. Plenty of room between the mid to rear of the secondary hull for one of those. Now that I think about it, I may have to model something up for that. ;)

WOHOO!!! Glad I could give you some ideas, as I said to you on DA, it is artists like yourself and everyone on this thread that really keeps the idea and hope for Star Trek alive. By pushing the boundries and stretching out with ideas be it caonon or not is the whole reason Star Trek still exists and thrives. New ship designs and tech is the real hope for our beloved series.

• Mattymanx said:

dynagirlsdaddy_c70e7535d2 said:

All I know is that registration is closed and no one can upload new files.  I am not sure why at this time.

Well, crap. I need to get back on there, mainly cos I wanted to get Prologic's drydock. But I simply can't remember my password. I've tried a bunch of other paswords I've used in the past, but apparently it's not any of them. If only I could get ahold of their help desk. >.> Well, I have Dave Metlisits's drydock, so I guess that's what I'll stick with.

Timbales said:

I appreciate the offer. Are these just the store examples or ones you have in your stable?

Here is a comparison of M4 and G3M.

Both are using the Adonis body shape (https://www.daz3d.com/m4-elite-body-shapes) and the Jeremy full face morph (https://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-morphs).

There were transferred over to G3M using Gen X 2 (https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x2) with the G3M-F plug-in (https://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-3). 

Both are wearing the M4 Jeremy Elite skin texture (https://www.daz3d.com/m4-elite-texture-jeremy). To use M4 skin on G3M, I used Legacy UVs (https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-3-michael-4)

no hair - let's just say they are Deltans

M4M7.jpg
    2500 x 2500 - 3M
  • Timbales said:
    Timbales said:

Here is a comparison of M4 and G3M.

Both are using the Adonis body shape (https://www.daz3d.com/m4-elite-body-shapes) and the Jeremy full face morph (https://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-morphs).

There were transferred over to G3M using Gen X 2 (https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x2) with the G3M-F plug-in (https://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-3). 

Both are wearing the M4 Jeremy Elite skin texture (https://www.daz3d.com/m4-elite-texture-jeremy). To use M4 skin on G3M, I used Legacy UVs (https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-3-michael-4)

no hair - let's just say they are Deltans

LOL

The transfer looks great!  I'll have to look into it and see about workign it into my budget. 

• AshleyTingerAshleyTinger Posts: 498
    edited October 2017

Patience55 has let me know that, due to time constraints, she isn't going to be able to manage the intro post/freebie list for the (approaching at warp 7) next thread - if you want to keep the existing system then someone else needs to take over the thread-starter/keeper-of-lists role. Otherwise the mods can just split this thread when it hits page 101.

So has anyone stepped up to be keeper of the lists?  I'm willing to give it a go, but if someone else already has designs on it I'm all for it. 

EDIT: 

Throwing out some thread title ideas

The Duf File Cares Not For the Runtime's Cry
    A Private Little Runtime
    What are Little Duf's Made Of?
    The Runtime Seven
    The Runtime of the Archons
    The Duf in the Dark

Post edited by AshleyTinger on
  • Work continues on the Liberty secondary hull. Tried out a few more shapes, settled on a deflector housing and then made a storage container that attaches directly behind it to the hull. The Knight Hawk herself won't have one, but I figure while I'm at it I might as well build a few test options for back there. ;)  

I got side-tracked with house painting and work this week, but made use of my time on a conference call to build out some corridor sections for the Liberty. You can see the crew quarters attached to them there. I haven't started fleshing out the crew cabin as of yet. 

Then the last two are me playing around with making some of my existing characters into Genesis 3 from Victoria 4 and Genesis without doing a direct one for one with them. I figure if I'm doing a one to one morph conversion at this point why bother making the character in Gen 3 anyway.  So they're carrying the ideas I had for the characters. It's not like I'd already started my story at this point with the other meshes. 

Back to the grind. 

Civilian Scout Ship WIP 16 Liberty Class.jpg
    1919 x 1033 - 253K
    Civilian Scout - Liberty Class - Corridor Sections WIP 01.jpg
    1916 x 1035 - 239K
    arcelyn_genesis_3_render_test_by_ashleytinger-dbr84dj.png
    2160 x 1080 - 3M
    terminus_timeline_uss_challenger_trio_g3f_wip_by_ashleytinger-dbrtv87.png
    2160 x 1080 - 4M

looks really nice

• Moving back to TOS because it seems like there's more stuff that works on Genesis 3 (because I'm easy that way)...

First, as much as I like the Constitution class ships, who didn't love the Reliant? So I definitely liked the idea of Greywolf-Starkiller's USS Miranda.

Here's a quick palette swap & a couple different textures on Ptrope's bridge to make it seem more TOS-style Wrath of Khan Reliant-ish. (Lighting kind of sucks and I have to fix the nameplate area, but that all can be fixed.)

Miranda bridge test.jpg
    1340 x 754 - 205K
  • Moving back to TOS because it seems like there's more stuff that works on Genesis 3 (because I'm easy that way)...

First, as much as I like the Constitution class ships, who didn't love the Reliant? So I definitely liked the idea of Greywolf-Starkiller's USS Miranda.

Here's a quick palette swap & a couple different textures on Ptrope's bridge to make it seem more TOS-style Wrath of Khan Reliant-ish. (Lighting kind of sucks and I have to fix the nameplate area, but that all can be fixed.)

Like what you did with the colors. Definitely has that Reliant feel. 

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712

Not much to add, been away for a while.

Gonna make this real simple....coming soon to Studio.

https://pdsmith.deviantart.com/art/Test-One-of-the-Wilbur-Bridge-714744327

-Paul

• PDSmith said:

-Paul

I hadn't even realized they'd done an Orville bridge. Looks great!

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    PDSmith said:

-Paul

Very cool, looking good! With the extrended hallways, I wonder how hard it would be to build a shell around it that didn't look like the Orville...

-- Walt Sterdan

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Moving back to TOS because it seems like there's more stuff that works on Genesis 3 (because I'm easy that way)...

To finish up with the Reliant look, you should move the turbolift doors so that they are directly behind the Captain's chair. (That is if you are willing or skilled enough to chop the Trubolift section out of the base and move it)

• PDSmith said:

Ooo, nice! Not sure if I like the series much (although it's better than The Other One), but I have to say the bridge set is very pretty. If this turns up at R'sity, I'm going for it.

PDSmith said:

Ooo, nice! Not sure if I like the series much (although it's better than The Other One), but I have to say the bridge set is very pretty. If this turns up at R'sity, I'm going for it.

When you purchase at the linked site, more money goes to the guy who made it. And we all know who that is; Richard Duda.

• Still plugging away at the Liberty Class. Pulled my corridors into DAZ to light em and test them out. Also started working on the warp nacelles. Building the interior of the nacelle and then building an exterior based around that. I have a general idea of what I want it to look like but I wanted a snazzy 3D mock-up for the bridge and engine room consoles to display too. 

civilian_scout___liberty_class___corridor_wip_02_by_ashleytinger-dbrzxhy.jpg
    2160 x 2160 - 603K
    civilian scout - liberty class - warp nacelle wip 01.jpg
    1919 x 1037 - 289K
    civilian scout - liberty class - warp nacelle wip 02.jpg
    1917 x 1035 - 254K
    edited November 2017

Looking at your hallway and after the work I've put in the the Wilbur Bridge recolouring, I'm seeing some influences or maybe it's the similarities in your style.  Is this accidental?

Also your work screen in trueSpace, I never though the complexities could hold, all my work with the 3.2 were so simple and would crash the system in some cases. I'm impressed.

Post edited by PDSmith on
  • PDSmith said:

Looking at your hallway and after the work I've put in the the Wilbur Bridge recolouring, I'm seeing some influences or maybe it's the similarities in your style.  Is this accidental?

Also your work screen in trueSpace, I never though the complexities could hold, all my work with the 3.2 were so simple and would crash the system in some cases. I'm impressed.

It might be accidental, but I've been watching Orville and Discovery since they started airing every week and designed the corridor a few weeks ago, so it might be an unintentional design ape. I was going for Trek but not a specific look other than post TOS/pre TMP, so it's probably slight influence/happy coincidence. 

Oh, Truespace 3.1 has gotten less crash happy since I went to Windows 10 (compared to Windows 7 or Windows XP believe it or not). It freaks out when I'm carving geometry or rendering sometimes. Still more stable than Hexagon which crashes when I just load something into it. I save often to avoid the crash issue and have multple scene files saved out to handle it a bit better. I'd move to version 7 but even that seems like a foreign language to me. Like jumping to Lightwave, the pieces are all there but I'm just not getting it and I'm too impatient to learn a new tool for my hobby right now. 

• Haven't been here for a while. Thought I'd post a couple of views of my USS T'Pol bridge

USS T'Pol Bridge.jpg
    2000 x 1800 - 2M
  •  Some of my ships, USS Sato, Tucker, T'pol and the Shuttle Elisabeth

We come in Peace.jpg
    1454 x 909 - 1M

FYI,

It looks like we may have a third scifi show in the making.

https://www.cbr.com/galaxy-quest-tv-set-after-film/

This discussion has been closed.