The Non-Fungible People vs Daz models

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,021

AgitatedRiot said:

You're right frank, Just to show what a real collectible looks like. I haven't had them appraised since 2003. They were worth a pretty penny. Every year someone breaks a set, my set goes up in price. These are not reproductions like you find on eBay.

The lacquered, preserved heads of the original Beatles... that's impressive... no wonder, I've never been able to purchase their skulls.

Then again celebrity skull collecting isn't as big as it used to be.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,082

McGyver said:

I never throw a hard drive out, not even one that's totally toast... in fact I take apart junk hard drives for those crazy strong magnets and other parts that are only useful to lunatics like me.

The disks are really nice for making wind chimes that are also sun-catchers. I did throw a few out early on - but only after drilling a couple of half-inch holes through them.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited December 2021

NotAnArtist said:

Well let's see. A crypto-fan may be willing to buy a pre-fabbed 3D character with associated clothing, etc, for several hundred dollars because he'll be the sole owner.

But they aren't the sole owner, are they? Ok, they own that link or code or serial number, just like I own the unique serial number on my 3090...and just like how other people own 3090's just like mine, only with different serial numbers. But going even further, these characters can be reproduced with stuff from the store that we all can buy from...for much less. The only difference is that we can't resell our assets. (Though we can sell the artwork we make from those assets all day long.) I still don't get it.  

Post edited by MelissaGT on

AgitatedRiot said:

You're right frank, Just to show what a real collectible looks like. I haven't had them appraised since 2003. They were worth a pretty penny. Every year someone breaks a set, my set goes up in price. These are not reproductions like you find on eBay.

The lacquered, preserved heads of the original Beatles... that's impressive... no wonder, I've never been able to purchase their skulls.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,746

McGyver said:

AgitatedRiot said:

How do you collect skulls from celebrities that are still roaming amongst the living? 

• I guess the way, John Lennon got his skull taken Sorry bad joke

• MelissaGT said:

NotAnArtist said:

Well let's see. A crypto-fan may be willing to buy a pre-fabbed 3D character with associated clothing, etc, for several hundred dollars because he'll be the sole owner.

But they aren't the sole owner, are they? Ok, they own that link or code or serial number, just like I own the unique serial number on my 3090...and just like how other people own 3090's just like mine, only with different serial numbers. But going even further, these characters can be reproduced with stuff from the store that we all can buy from...for much less. The only difference is that we can't resell our assets. (Though we can sell the artwork we make from those assets all day long.) I still don't get it.  

a) we don't know what the uniqueness of the NFPs amounts to.

b) even if it is the equivalent of dial-spins with standard morphs, no one will know which (unless they are told).

• PerttiA said:

McGyver said:

AgitatedRiot said:

How do you collect skulls from celebrities that are still roaming amongst the living? 

I think the hint is here,the remaining ones are knockoffs too, clones 

edited December 2021

PerttiA said:

McGyver said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Generally, very carefully... also... note that I said "The lacquered, preserved heads of the original Beatles..."  ..."Original" being the key word.

I guess most people aren't aware of the fate of the original Beatles, just the later copies... not that they aren't as good... but I've said too much already... just ignore all that.

But as far as collecting skulls of still living celebrities... don't tell me it would really be all that noticeable with a good portion of them if someone stole their skull and filled the head cavity with dried lima beans or crumpled up newspapers... 

Post edited by McGyver on
  • frank0314 said:

How does it not make PA's "speculator/gambler" then? Or any other sales profession?

Oh please stop with the Whataboutism.

A prospective PA can do some research to dertermine, for example, what is the typical income from Daz items of their type, to have an idea how long it will take to create such items, and a basic idea of what their profit might be.

To try to compare that kind of analytical estimatation process with NFT / NFP speculation which is pure fairy dust -- I can't believe I even have to explain this.

edited December 2021

ColinFrench said:

To try to compare that kind of analytical estimatation process with NFT / NFP speculation which is pure fairy dust -- I can't believe I even have to explain this.

Don't knock Pure Fairy Dust, it's held it's value far longer than Beanie Boos and Pogs and it's much better for the environment than crude oil or uranium ore.

edited December 2021

WendyLuvsCatz said:

PerttiA said:

McGyver said:

AgitatedRiot said:

I think the hint is here,the remaining ones are knockoffs too, clones 

Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one collecting celebrity skulls who knows the real story there.

• Another example of a collectible.

"The Last Warrior" By Bob Scriver One of a kind his other works can have a number / out of number. Hasn't been appraised since 2003. I need to have all this done again. 

20211224_171953.jpg
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    20211224_172001.jpg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M
    20211224_172007.jpg
    4032 x 3024 - 5M
    edited December 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

a) we don't know what the uniqueness of the NFPs amounts to.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,581

The people, who buy NFTs, have so much money that money doesn't matter. We are not the target audience. Non-celebrity skulls are just as good as celebrity skulls, and they don't require as much explanation. It seems, out of the $800 price, about $20 of it is for the character and the other $780 is for the NFT. Maybe the discussion should be about how we determined that NFT is worth $780. The only answer I can come up with is "hope". You're paying $780 for hope.

NylonGirl said:

...You're paying $780 for hope.

Bob Hope's skull was one of the first skulls I bought... $324... unfortunately it turned out to be a dachshund's skull and I got ripped off... at least that's what the celebrity skull appraiser told me... I believe him though, because it really seemed like there were far too many canine teeth, even for Bob Hope.

edited December 2021

AgitatedRiot said:

Another example of a collectible.

"The Last Warrior" By Bob Scriver One of a kind his other works can have a number / out of number. Hasn't been appraised since 2003. I need to have all this done again. 

I don't like to brag, but I've been collecting Potatoes That Look Like Famous People (or PTLLFPs) for a number of years now...

Here's a good example of one I got for very little money, but has gone up in value by a lot percent... 

The guy who sold it to me said it would be worth at least $10k, but now he's saying I should hold onto it until he tells me it's worth at least $80k...

He hasn't been returning my calls lately but I'm sure it's nothing...

I know... it's James Caan Potato!

Some idiots are like "Is that Richard Dreyfuss?", But then most step back and they are like "Oh my god! James Caan!"

One idiot was like "Is that Gitanas Nausėda?"
    but I'm like "As if..."

First of all I don't collect Lithuanian economists or Presidents and second like who can afford them... like I don't have Lithuanian celebrity potatoe levels of security... I might as well collect Fabergé eggs, right?

These next ones are my most prized potatoes... probably worth more than my neighbor's house, and he's got a really crappy house... 

I know everyone is like "No way!"... 

I'm sure you all recognize them...

I hope nobody said "The Three Stooges"... that's just messed up if you did...

Of course nobody did, because it's obvious it's Tony Curtis, Marillyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon (left to right)... from the classic Billy Wilder film "Some Like It Hot"...

I mean, it's practically the movie poster...

But no way any NFTs or NFPs are going to match the collectibility of my PTLLFPs...

Not even on the base potatoe level.

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 482

benniewoodell said:

I don't throw them away either. I have a file folder box full of them. When we get rid of a computer I pull the HHD(s) and either put them in the new computer or in the box they go. I feel for the guy but did he not consider backing up that kind of stuff onto some kind of DVD's or something that can't fail? Stupidity at its finest.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in keeping all my hard drives! When I read that, I did question if I was alone in having a box of them sitting in my room. 

I'll get one of those cases that turns them into external drives.  Even though I copy off all the data I think I want to save, it's amazong how often I still have to revisit them for data I never thought I'd need.  Plus I can always use the remaining free space as extra back up for that data you can never make enough back-ups of.

• Love the collection man. I got an old Mr. Potatoe Head.

• charlescharles Posts: 775
    edited December 2021

Don't buy expensive NFT's from untrustworthy sources when you can get a Chuck Token. I am the sole trusted authority for Chuck Tokens and you can have one and assign it to anything you want, an image, avatar, your dog or your kids. When you request a Chuck Token I add your number and item to my secure databse, a Deny's napkin written in sharpie. I just assigned a Chuck Token to my french fry, and it never tasted better just knowing it was a unique one of a kind NFT french fry which one day might have been sold for billions!

Post edited by charles on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,702

Havos said:

I think what most people are missing is that these things are supposed to be an investment, that in theory you can sell on at a profit. The actual use in a piece of art is a secondary benefit, maybe to perk the interest of artists, but as many people have stated above, that side benefit is pretty minor. The value as such bears little relation to any side benefits. If you are wondering why anyone would buy such a thing at 800 dollars, remember that those 10,000 slightly different sad monkeys were offered at 250K each, so one could argue 800 is a bargain!

I think most buyers of these things will be speculators, hoping to grab something they can sell on at a profit. Most artists are likely to see these things as they are, basically worthless until some sucker comes along and buys it off you. 

...my icon that uses an original unique character says it all, NFS = not for sale (at any price). 

RobotHeadArt said:

ColinFrench said:

ALLIEKATBLUE said:

Why is everybody so up in arms about this?  If you don't want it don't buy it. Nobody's making anybody buy this.

I don't think anyone has a problem if somebody wants to spend a bunch of money on something they think is silly -- there's been lots of fads before and will be again.

The problem is that *this* fad comes at an extreme energy cost which impacts us all.

There is also the opportunity cost that the Daz community pays as well.  Imagine all the money that is being used to develop, staff, create the NFPs and promote them.  Imagine a world where those resources instead went to things like hiring a technical writer to document Daz Studio and create in depth SDK documentation so more innovative Daz Plugins could be made. Imagine a world where the discord instead provided intense training and support for the esoteric parts of Daz Studio like rigging and weight mapping so that new PAs could bring more interesting products to the market.  Imagine the marketing instead for teaching new artists how to use Daz Studio how to make art, rebuilding the community with new people with fresh ideas...

...yes. 

edited December 2021

AgitatedRiot said:

..och I'm envious.   Saw them in concert in September of 1964 In Milwaukee Wisconsin, 4th row at the Arena..Mum got my brothers and I the tickets as she liked them as well. Actually "dressed up" for the concert. The price for each ticket was a whopping 5.50$. Adjusted for inflation those, 1964 tickets would cost 49.15$ today.  In contrast, when Paul McCartney played  the Rose Garden here in Portland a number of years ago, the nosebleed seats at the back of the arena were 110$. My how times have changed.

Still have an original a rare pressing of Sie Liebt Dich (She Loves You German) on the old Swan label and the VeeJay issue of Meet the Beatles along with several 45 singles on the same label.   Also had other memorabilia that became lost with time and moving around over the decades like the trading cards (all 3 B&W series the Hard Days Night series, the Colour Photo series, and Diary series), the Flip Your Wig Game, and the Beatles Harmonica by Hohner.  If I still had these items I'd have a small fortune, particularly for the cards (and likely a large safe deposit box to keep it all in).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • I think one of the biggest questions is how do we know if these characters will beable to be used in this "Metavers " thing are all them going to allow you to use your own character in their game and how exactly would that be possible ,and I'm sure Daz won't be the only one's to have characters for sale for the Metavers, won't thaay all be needed to be rigged and stuff the exact same to be useable in each  game / area/site/   every one of them would need to use the same tech would they  not ? ?   and I could just imagine playing a war game and having a female character in her bra and pantys running threw the battle field shooting at u with an AK , --lol   I think in a way it could ruin some hard core gamers game.

• FPFP Posts: 113

AgitatedRiot said:

Another example of a collectible.

If you send an overhead shot,side shot and a back shot I could probably get fairly close representation on a 3d printer and make a few dozen.  I am now able to make the picture a screen saver or include it in a backround image in a render as a fixture.   I see no reason to pay for a unque code on anything just so I can feel special or flip it for more money, As was said before, If I am truly buying a unique piece then I never what to see its likeness again anywhere,  A figure with a one of a kind morph, texture and hair would be a (semi) understandable investment. Seeing how most competent 3d artist could probably make a reasonable facsimile

• FPFP Posts: 113

kyoto kid said:

Havos said:

I think what most people are missing is that these things are supposed to be an investment, that in theory you can sell on at a profit. The actual use in a piece of art is a secondary benefit, maybe to perk the interest of artists, but as many people have stated above, that side benefit is pretty minor. The value as such bears little relation to any side benefits. If you are wondering why anyone would buy such a thing at 800 dollars, remember that those 10,000 slightly different sad monkeys were offered at 250K each, so one could argue 800 is a bargain!

I think most buyers of these things will be speculators, hoping to grab something they can sell on at a profit. Most artists are likely to see these things as they are, basically worthless until some sucker comes along and buys it off you. 

...my icon that uses an original unique character says it all, NFS = not for sale (at any price). 

Youre a better person than me. Cant think of much I wouldnt sell for 69 million

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

andrushuk1 said:

I think one of the biggest questions is how do we know if these characters will beable to be used in this "Metavers " thing are all them going to allow you to use your own character in their game and how exactly would that be possible ,and I'm sure Daz won't be the only one's to have characters for sale for the Metavers, won't thaay all be needed to be rigged and stuff the exact same to be useable in each  game / area/site/   every one of them would need to use the same tech would they  not ? ?   and I could just imagine playing a war game and having a female character in her bra and pantys running threw the battle field shooting at u with an AK , --lol   I think in a way it could ruin some hard core gamers game.

No one does know that. The entire concept of the "metaverse" right now only exists in the form of some companies creating VR social spaces and interconnected product ecosystems. The pitch for investing in all of this stuff is based in speculation that--very soon--the infrastructure will exist to take digital assets you own into every type of media. You are spot on about the reasons this makes no practical sense and can't/won't actually happen. 

• I attended the Enter the Metaverse conference a few weeks ago and you'd be surprised at what will and is already happening. And it's not all about gameing

Not all about gaming... then I'm assuming the rest is cats and porn... basically what comprised the bulk of the internet content at the turn of this century.

• Blood for the Blood God!

Skulls for the Skull Throne!

NFTs for the NFT Chungus!

I was looking at my gallery thing, and the images of NFP avatars was at the top. Didn't someone at Artstation make the White Priestess? And now she is sold as NFP?

Must be a nice business model to do that.

Why sell Daz models at all? Just move a dial by 0.1, then make another NFP.

This discussion has been closed.