The Non-Fungible People vs Daz models

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,746

WendyLuvsCatz said:

because we are all toxicdevil

Based on the slaps on my wrists, you may be on to something blush 

• MadaMada Posts: 1,872

I'm sorry you feel your questions are not answered - maybe post them again and someone can try to explain. I have to get on with work :) I wish you guys a peaceful evening.

• I have been a customer of Daz since 2006 I think one of the DAZ companies employees might want to speak to those who have been here 15 years or more. Instead, they want me to join a social program like discord to find the answers. Again the attitude towards customers by companies nowadays sucks.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,853

Two facts matter most to me: 180kwh electricity to mint one NFT. Burn the earth but good! And the whole cryptocurrency craze makes it more difficult and more expensive to get NVidia graphics cards and other components needed fully use my Daz assets in Daz Studio.

Higher prices and more hassle for needed computer upgrades mean less money for Daz stuff. My spending is about 1/5 what I spent here per year in the last few years, I think - And the spending is still dropping. I still get Daz emails, still have my wishlist. But the double-down on crypto products I see here makes me feel slimy for spending any money here. On the bright side, I'm spending a lot more time with my existing asset library. These days, that's a lot more fun than being here.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Mada said:

A lot of people prefer using discord over the forums, its just another medium that's available and Daz staff are present there so I don't think they're trying to distance themselves from it at all. Its a pretty busy discord - up to 41068 members today.

With the problem, that the handling of discord doesn't really allow for discussions - only for a string of messages... any important informations get buried fast. 

And...

Mada said:

edit to add : And obviously a lot of people prefer discord, otherwise they wouldn't have so many members - why would they not make use of any and all medium to promote Daz Studio - its good business sense :)

DAZ's Discord probably has tons of members due to the freebies and sales etc. given away. I can assure You that I hadn't a look at anything else on the DAZ NFT discord channel, because it doesn't me not a bit.

Discord is also used as an information and help platform for many of those not-so-quite professional made games available at Patreon.

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 482

andrushuk1 said:

but why Discord and not here that's what I've been trying to figure out , am I missing some thing ? every thing else is sold directly out of the store so y not this stuff why need to join or go some place else?  is Dz trying to distance themselves from it ?

That's where the crypto/NFT buyers are hanging out.  A lot of users here have made it clear they're not interested, and the sales figures show that.  Unlike the store sales, the NFT sales are public on the Daz/Tafi Opensea page.  And what they show is that sales were almost non existent after advertising the NFTs here on the site, but they've taken off since they started the Discord server.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,377
    edited December 2021

So is this want we can expect from all this. 5,084 ETH Worth $21M Was Just Burned (msn.com)

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • What a flamin joke that is! half an hour to sign up! half an hour to get verified, give me a break Daz is it really worth all that to get something free off you!

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,021

Discord has a lot of users for various reasons... preferring to post there over here may seem like equivalent matter, but there are at least two big differences...
    One difference between DAZ's forums and Discord is Discord shares your user data with third parties... As far as I'm aware, that is not the case with DAZ's forums... I like that concept. 
    Additionally, there have been numerous malware and security issues with Discord, due to the way Discord functions...  one particular problem has been Remote Access Trojans... if you click on the wrong link, you can pick up RATs, allowing malicious actors to gain administrative rights to your computer. 
    In some cases long after a hacker's account has been removed, their links have remained. 
    Knock on wood, that's not been a problem here. 
    Granted, you can minimize your risk and somewhat limit the data they collect on you at Discord if you know what you are doing, but still, some folks won't necessarily want to bother opening that can of worms if they don't need to.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,516

Just got a mail from DAZ saying the public minting is live, I go to Tafi's page on Opensea to see what some of these monstrosities look like, and every one just has a default placeholder icon. You do get to see what they look like before buying, don't you?

Anyway, I did enjoy this combination of text and image from the main page.

"each NFP is rendered with unique features that portray powerful, self-expressive women"

blehh.jpg
    252 x 254 - 14K
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,021
    edited December 2021

Kinda reminds me of Bill The Cat... a very expressive individual too.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • SnowSultan said:

You do get to see what they look like before buying, don't you?

Ummm ... actually no. That is how the NFT business models work ... you purchase them and they are revealed later. It is a 'pig in a poke' situation sadly. They will not be revealed for another week or two.

3141592654 said:

SnowSultan said:

Ummm ... actually no. That is how the NFT business models work ... you purchase them and they are revealed later. It is a 'pig in a poke' situation sadly. They will not be revealed for another week or two.

So, you are hoping to get Snow White, but end up getting Madam Mim... laugh

• DAZ Empowerment 

• 3141592654 said:

SnowSultan said:

Seriously? People are paying 800 dollars for one of these in hopes of getting something they might want? Wow. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,701

McGyver said:

Discord has a lot of users for various reasons... preferring to post there over here may seem like equivalent matter, but there are at least two big differences...
    One difference between DAZ's forums and Discord is Discord shares your user data with third parties... As far as I'm aware, that is not the case with DAZ's forums... I like that concept. 
    Additionally, there have been numerous malware and security issues with Discord, due to the way Discord functions...  one particular problem has been Remote Access Trojans... if you click on the wrong link, you can pick up RATs, allowing malicious actors to gain administrative rights to your computer. 
    In some cases long after a hacker's account has been removed, their links have remained. 
    Granted, you can minimize your risk and somewhat limit the data they collect on you at Discord if you know what you are doing, but still, some folks won't necessarily want to bother opening that can of worms if they don't need to.

...the local Shaodwrun Missions gaming  group I ma with tried to move to Discord but found it much more labour intensive to manage than their FB page and then there was the issue with the data sharing so they ditched it..

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

The entire thing is based on FOMO, which is standard but sickening marketing practices nowadays that Daz has fully embraced for many years. With NFTs it's just that much worse, it's cashing in on the massive crypto market where everyone is trying to move massive amounts of money around without being traced or taxed, by milking the idea that something might be worth a lot more, but only if you buy it now.

edited December 2021

...got an NFP email from Daz today that bypassed the NFT filter, so had to create a new one.

Still want them to take the NFT blurb off the cart purchase acknowledgement page.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • McGyver said:

Kinda reminds me of Bill The Cat... a very expressive individual too.

I believe the expression is called  Ahegao 

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,516

OK wait...you said they'll be revealed in a week or two - can you wait to buy them until they're revealed? I've seen NFTs for sale before where you could see what it was, if you couldn't, I might actually believe they're artistic and perhaps worth their cost.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,581

If they don't take Dogecoin, I'm not interested.

...hmm I'd rather put 800$ towards a new system upgrade.

• kyoto kid said:

Reallusion sent me an email with 50% off software, I haven't sadly got the hardware to handle iC7 but I am considering Cartoon animator using my DAZ renders

to make my own live2D avatars with facial mocap

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,148
    edited December 2021

andrushuk1 said:

but why Discord and not here that's what I've been trying to figure out , am I missing some thing ? every thing else is sold directly out of the store so y not this stuff why need to join or go some place else?  is Dz trying to distance themselves from it ?

The minute NFT's ARE sold here at Daz is the minute I'm done buying here. I mean, technically they do advertise them here unfortunately, but they don't actually sell them HERE....yet.

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

SnowSultan said:

Just got a mail from DAZ saying the public minting is live, I go to Tafi's page on Opensea to see what some of these monstrosities look like, and every one just has a default placeholder icon. You do get to see what they look like before buying, don't you?

Well, if You COULD see pictures of them on the interwebz already, You probably (with a high % chance) COULD also download them which would negate the need to buy them, as some uses for these could be done with those pictures alone... devil

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 832
    edited December 2021

McGyver said:

This is pretty much the reason why I didn't want to join discord, also the founders of discord always have had the plan to sell it once it was worth it to them, and then you don't know who I going to get your data. Discord is known for been really bad in all matters concering privacy.

Good video on discord here: The Dark Side of Discord (And best Solutions and Alternatives!)

Post edited by BlueFingers on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,581

kyoto kid said:

I did something like that. I ordered a Pixel 6 Pro. So now I will have to wait a while before I can afford a bored nonbinary female.

Maybe I actually am a bored nonbinary female. Life is complicated.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,545
    edited December 2021

life is too complicated. I like simplicity. NFT ... Discord ... covid ... on an on. Just go watch Don't Look Up and see where we are in a satirical form, but truer than the metaphor.

Post edited by daveso on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,853

Hardly anything is simple any more.

NylonGirl said:

If they don't take Dogecoin, I'm not interested.

Or InvisiCoin... 

This discussion has been closed.