Show Us Your Iray Renders

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

That looks really good. Nice flush to the skin.

Still playing around with skin settings as well.
  • MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

That looks very realistic, in my opinion you appear to have just the right amount of skin sheen for that light skin texture. Iray loves indoor scenes, cars and clothing. I think the challenge is hair and skin texture, and I am sure it will not be a case of 'one shader fits all'.

I guess PA's will need to make a separate Iray skin shader for each new texture they produce, or leave it up to us to custom tweak the settings. Quite a steep learning curve at the moment, but progress looks good.

I would certainly purchase a texture, with matching Iray shader, like you have shown here. :)

Cheers :-)

• MikeyFTLMikeyFTL Posts: 367
    edited December 1969

So far me likey.

iray.png
    1100 x 995 - 1000K
    edited December 1969

MikeyFTL said:
    So far me likey.

Very nice !

:-)

edited December 1969

Amazing what a can of car spray paint can do to liven up underwear ! :lol:

The model is Charisma for Genesis 2 Female(s) by Sabby which I purchased some time ago at 'Rendo'
    I also have a render of her on my deviantart web page done in Reality with Luxrender.

The clothing had Car paint-Midnight Blue Shader and also the Metal-Aluminum-Polished Shader applied.

The scene was lit with a sphere primitive as an SS Sun Node.

:-)

Charisma.png
    1168 x 809 - 2M
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

rov said:
    nicstt said:
    Maybe someone can help me with this one.
    Iray stopped rendering before the grain was gone.
    It stopped after 2.5 Hours, also the timelimit was extended to 4 hours.
    Max samples was also not reached

Did you set max convergence to 99%? Sometimes convergence will stop it early too. You might also try setting quality to 2 or 3 if you want it to render almost forever but have a good chance of it looking good when you're ready to stop it.

How do you stop it? All I know of is cancel. :)
    Cancel is stop. When you think it looks good you hit cancel, go to save render and that is what you will have.

Just make sure you hit Cancel on the little History popup, not the image window. If you hit Cancel on the image window, you'll lose your work.

The popup goes to the middle of the screen by default. If you can't see it, minimize the render window, (and any other windows in your way,) then drag the popup to one side.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited April 2015

RIP, Ray Harryheusen!

(I don't know if he ever thought of including wuxia stuff in his movies, but I'd like to think the result would be AMAZEBALLS)

((Also also, he died almost 2 years ago, just saying RIP in general))

Confrontation.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

SWIM AWAY!

Took a bit to get the light rays right. Another thing I'm finding is that HDRI is great particularly when it's not actually all that visible -- it fills in the backdrop and provides some filling background light, even if set really dim.

In this image, it's a cylinder with haze applied, then a plane above the camera with a very black and white cutout mask to help make discrete godrays. Without HDRI, there was a lot of bright background plus checkerboard faintly appearing. With HDRI, it provided a great subtle sense of depth.

Alas, I do not have any sea predators, so I ended up using suchomimus (which I'm pretty sure didn't openly swim like this), but hey, teeth.

Nice one. Impressive effect.

edited December 1969

Seems good to me. Looking to see where you go playing in this way.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,019
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    tjohn said:
    "The Tomb"

...looks nice. Did you make the apron an emitter?
    No, just Iray "Bloom". Thank you. :)
    edited April 2015

New life for old stuff. Dream Home Great Room by Iray using HDRI and a lot of point lights with IES. Cooking by 8 hours. Still grainy, but you got the idea.

GreatRoom_Iray_Test-01.png
    1280 x 800 - 2M
    Post edited by MBusch on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    tjohn said:
    "The Tomb"

...can that be applied selectively? When I tried to use it even at a small percentage, the whole appeared like I was looking at it though heavily fogged glass.
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,019
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    tjohn said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    tjohn said:
    "The Tomb"

...can that be applied selectively? When I tried to use it even at a small percentage, the whole appeared like I was looking at it though heavily fogged glass.
    I think in this case the apron was the brightest thing in the render. I had the bloom set at .02, and the lighting was set low (headlamp) and the Dome color was darker greyish blue. I was trying for a moonlit effect.
    edited December 1969

...well it worked pretty good I must say.

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

Must admit I was so happy to see that Iray was 100% NVIATWAS compatible.

NVIATWAS.png
    900 x 1456 - 2M
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited April 2015

This is the first iray render for me where I've started to feel like I had control over what was happening as opposed to just hanging on for dear life and trying to get a result that looked ok in the midst of a lot of confusion. :) Not complete control yet by any means, but more so. I customized the hair, skin, eye, dress and glass materials, and the scene is lit with an HDRI environment map plus two photometric spot lights and one photometric point light. Here's my raw render (only scaled 50%) and my finished post-worked version.

BeforeTheClockStrikesTwelve1.jpeg
    1600 x 900 - 520K
    Cinderella-test3-nopost.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 585K
    Post edited by Storypilot on
  • 8eos88eos8 Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

Playing around a bit with Keshi.

keshi-armed.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 852K
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

oh cool!

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

This is the first iray render for me where I've started to feel like I had control over what was happening as opposed to just hanging on for dear life and trying to get a result that looked ok in the midst of a lot of confusion. :) Not complete control yet by any means, but more so. I customized the hair, skin, eye, dress and glass materials, and the scene is lit with an HDRI environment map plus two photometric spot lights and one photometric point light. Here's my raw render (only scaled 50%) and my finished post-worked version.

Beautiful image.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,312
    edited December 1969

I REALLY like the post worked image A LOT! Nice nuances and little touches added. GREAT JOB!

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Another play using Brodie's textures, adding in some normal, SSS and roughness maps...

BillyCloseup01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 210K
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited April 2015

Has anyone used IRay to render water surface ? Mainly beach, ocean scene, liquid in glass cup, etc...... Thanks.

Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited April 2015

Thank you very much dinopt and Gogger for the comments.

Male-M3dia - great result there!

Post edited by Storypilot on
    edited December 1969

After spending a lot of time with skin and hair and other important details, I decided to do something just for fun last weekend. I bought the Glass Gambit Chess Set and set it up on a table from the Gentlemen's Game Room. I used the Iray glass and metal shaders: the White chessmen have clear solid frosted glass, as do the white squares and the board frame, and gold metal accents; the black chessman have solid light green glass applied with the transmit color changed to red, as do the black squares, and silver metal accents.

I ended up putting it into Visions In White, under the window with the floor lamp moved to one side, "60 watt" bulb using the emissions shader, and I applied the wax shader on the lampshade. Light coming in through the window is just the default Sun/Sky. The bottle on the window sill is also from Visions In White and has the solid light green glass applies with the transmit color changed to brown.

Running CPU only, I set the Max Time to 259200, (3 days,) Max Samples to 15000 and Rendering Converged Ratio to 95%. It timed out at 12382 iterations and about 89% of image converged. (What can I say? I'm persistent/stubborn.)

Glass-Chess-Set-3-days-12382-iterations-Q1.png
    1739 x 1304 - 3M
  • rovrov Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

awesomefb said:
    Has anyone used IRay to render water surface ? Mainly beach, ocean scene, liquid in glass cup, etc...... Thanks.

I applied it in a using the Sultan Pool by RPublishing, lit by a HDRI map. It's somewhere in this thread. Looked good to me.
    edited December 1969

ACross said:
    After spending a lot of time with skin and hair and other important details, I decided to do something just for fun last weekend. I bought the Glass Gambit Chess Set and set it up on a table from the Gentlemen's Game Room. I used the Iray glass and metal shaders: the White chessmen have clear solid frosted glass, as do the white squares and the board frame, and gold metal accents; the black chessman have solid light green glass applied with the transmit color changed to red, as do the black squares, and silver metal accents.

I ended up putting it into Visions In White, under the window with the floor lamp moved to one side, "60 watt" bulb using the emissions shader, and I applied the wax shader on the lampshade. Light coming in through the window is just the default Sun/Sky. The bottle on the window sill is also from Visions In White and has the solid light green glass applies with the transmit color changed to brown.

Running CPU only, I set the Max Time to 259200, (3 days,) Max Samples to 15000 and Rendering Converged Ratio to 95%. It timed out at 12382 iterations and about 89% of image converged. (What can I say? I'm persistent/stubborn.)

...wow that's very "real" looking.
  • Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344
    edited December 1969

How can I change the default background and lighting?

Is there an existing HDR set in the shop that I can use with Iray somehow?

I have Skies of Economy, Skies of Terra, and HDR Pro Sets Monterey from DimensionTheory, but I'm not sure how to make them play nicely with Iray...

• John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited December 1969

A couple of shots to test lighting options. I'm still not 100% happy with the skin.

One shot using just a halo with emissive shader as a light source to reproduce a ring flash.

The other reproduces a studio 3 light set up with 2 spots and a plane with an emmisve shader as a soft box. I also included a small emmisive plane close to the camera to generate a catch light.

Light_test.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 881K
    Ring_Flash.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited December 1969

ACross said:
    After spending a lot of time with skin and hair and other important details, I decided to do something just for fun last weekend. I bought the Glass Gambit Chess Set .....

Pretty damn spectacular.

While playing with settings I found a caustics and architectural filter. Did you invoke these as I am wondering what the difference would be?

edited April 2015

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...wow that's very "real" looking.
    Thank you. :)

John Sims said:
    After spending a lot of time with skin and hair and other important details, I decided to do something just for fun last weekend. I bought the Glass Gambit Chess Set .....

Pretty damn spectacular.

While playing with settings I found a caustics and architectural filter. Did you invoke these as I am wondering what the difference would be?
    Thank you, too. :)

And I did not. I'd read earlier about the Caustic Sampler crashing DS. But I've since heard of it being used without crashing, (maybe that was a 4.8.0.4 issue?)

I'm rendering it with the Caustic Sampler on right now. Not sure I'm up for another 3 day render any time soon, but with a whopping 87 iterations and 0.01% converged I can already see a big difference in the caustics on the wall behind the glass bottle. And the crescent of light on the chair in the original render is simply missing from this one. I will let this one run overnight, though.

Post edited by L'Adair on
This discussion has been closed.