Show Us Your Iray Renders

Comments

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited March 2015

dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    Sorry, double posted.

have you actually tried "moving" the light dome? I mean really, if you drop an HDRi image into a scene as a sky dome, do you expect it to magically light things from the direction you were imagining?

all the options are there. move it around! Dials and everything...

I may have misled you.

I'm talking about being able to see the position of the Environment Map without having to render an image.

It's a feature that is available in other versions of Iray.

Thanks for the conversation.

Iray drawstyle. If your hardware is low to midrange, do it in the Aux Viewport instead of the main viewport.

I must be doing something wrong. When I select iray draw style in the aux viewport, it shows a gradient that represents light from the environment map, but it doesn't actually show me an image of the map.

That may be all the HDRI is.

I'm not explaining something right, I'm probably using the wrong terminology.

When I load an HDRI as an environment map, the only way to see the image in the map is to select "draw dome - on" and render an image

In other versions of iray, there is a feature that allows you to see the image on the map without having to render an image.

Post edited by NoName99 on
  • Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited March 2015

A little film noir style scene, then adjusted to B&W. I ran it for over an hour and it crashed DS when I tried to stop it. Truthfully it wasn't much cleaner than this version, which I cut off after 30 minutes. Pretty grainy but given the subject matter, I think it's okay.

See, this is why you need a blotter! You have to protect the surface and finish of the desk.
    :-)

Post edited by Mr Gneiss Guy on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited March 2015

dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    Sorry, double posted.

have you actually tried "moving" the light dome? I mean really, if you drop an HDRi image into a scene as a sky dome, do you expect it to magically light things from the direction you were imagining?

I may have misled you.

I'm talking about being able to see the position of the Environment Map without having to render an image.

Iray drawstyle. If your hardware is low to midrange, do it in the Aux Viewport instead of the main viewport.

I must be doing something wrong. When I select iray draw style in the aux viewport, it shows a gradient that represents light from the environment map, but it doesn't actually show me an image of the map.

When I load an HDRI as an environment map, the only way to see the image in the map is to select draw dome on and render an image

In other versions of iray, there is a feature that allows you to see the image on the map without having to render an image.

I presume the attached screen capture is what you are looking for. (Pay no attention to my customized layout, it doesn't matter. :) )

Not all HDRI are created equal. Note the poor anti-aliasing on one image, and the lack of image on the second. They are different versions of the same HDRI.

Note this is a computer with both a K6000 and a K2200, so is not a low to midend computer, as far as Iray is concerned. Depending on your hardware this might be more responsive in the Aux Viewport.

IrayHDRI-Poor.png
    1920 x 1160 - 323K
    IrayHDRI.png
    1920 x 1160 - 727K
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    Sorry, double posted.

I may have misled you.

When I load an HDRI as an environment map, the only way to see the image in the map is to select draw dome on and render an image

I presume the attached screen capture is what you are looking for. (Pay no attention to my customized layout, it doesn't matter. :) )

Not all HDRI are created equal. Note the poor anti-aliasing on one image, and the lack of image on the second. They are different versions of the same HDRI.

Note this is a computer with both a K6000 and a K2200, so is not a low to midend computer, as far as Iray is concerned. Depending on your hardware this might be more responsive in the Aux Viewport.

Thank you for posting that. I'm still not sure we are talking about the same thing.

I understand that aux viewport is hardware dependent.

If I load an HDRI into UE2, I can literally see the image in the viewport.

If I load the same exact HDRI into iray, the only way I can see the image is by rendering out an image.

Here's a webinar by nvidia on iray for maya. Its a long video, It's actually really good, lots of good info for anyone, but the second speaker in the seminar demonstrates what I'm talking about while working on an image of a motorcycle.

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2014/webinar/gtc-express-photorealistic-visualization-with-speed-and-ease-using-iray-for-autodesk-3ds-max-webinar.mp4

Thank you for the taking time to look I to this. It's very much appreciated.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited December 1969

A little film noir style scene, then adjusted to B&W. I ran it for over an hour and it crashed DS when I tried to stop it. Truthfully it wasn't much cleaner than this version, which I cut off after 30 minutes. Pretty grainy but given the subject matter, I think it's okay.

See, this is why you need a blotter! You have to protect the surface and finish of the desk.

iRay automatically applied at least 8 coats of wax to the surface of the desk so I think it'll survive. Hope so, it's awkward to list a desk on Craigs List with the disclaimer "Mild blood staining on top".

On a serious note, love how iRay does automagically transferring surfaces. Defaults tend to be pretty shiny and for a film noir office I considered dialing it down (I doubt Sam Spade spent a lot of time shining his woodwork and his desk) but I liked the effect so what the heck, I kept it. I'll assume the cleaning lady just finished up in there an hour earlier and left it spotless.

Some of these old sets really have new life thanks to iRay. I have another version of the render where the Femme Fatale is converted into a distressed damsel and through the window next to her you can see the silhouette of a menacing figure with a gun approaching (thanks, translucency!). I really liked that version, like the cover of some pulp magazine but it kept hanging up before it would get clean enough to save. Someday, someday....

edited December 1969

dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    Sorry, double posted.

I may have misled you.

Thank you for posting that. I'm still not sure we are talking about the same thing.

If I load the same exact HDRI into iray, the only way I can see the image is by rendering out an image.

Here's a webinar by nvidia on iray for maya. Its a long video, It's actually really good, lots of good info for anyone, but the second speaker in the seminar demonstrates what I'm talking about while working on an image of a motorcycle.

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2014/webinar/gtc-express-photorealistic-visualization-with-speed-and-ease-using-iray-for-autodesk-3ds-max-webinar.mp4

Thank you for the taking time to look I to this. It's very much appreciated.
    As near as I can tell you either do not have the Draw dome setting ON or are your viewport is not set to Iray Drawstyle.

Please provide a screenshot of your viewport and render settings.

If draw dome is on, and the viewport is in Iray drawstyle, the HDRI is there immediately even if it takes a moment for the additional content to fully resolve. This screenshot is the Main Viewport in Iray Drawstyle, the Aux Viewport is set to Texture shaded. The car, and the girl are in the scene, and the rest is the same HDRI as my screenshot above.

IrayHDRI-WithContent.png
    1920 x 1160 - 1M
  • Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited March 2015

iRay automatically applied at least 8 coats of wax to the surface of the desk so I think it'll survive. Hope so, it's awkward to list a desk on Craigs List with the disclaimer "Mild blood staining on top".

On a serious note, love how iRay does automagically transferring surfaces. Defaults tend to be pretty shiny and for a film noir office I considered dialing it down (I doubt Sam Spade spent a lot of time shining his woodwork and his desk) but I liked the effect so what the heck, I kept it. I'll assume the cleaning lady just finished up in there an hour earlier and left it spotless.

Some of these old sets really have new life thanks to iRay. I have another version of the render where the Femme Fatale is converted into a distressed damsel and through the window next to her you can see the silhouette of a menacing figure with a gun approaching (thanks, translucency!). I really liked that version, like the cover of some pulp magazine but it kept hanging up before it would get clean enough to save. Someday, someday....

Yes, applying shaders or re-texturing can do wonders. Geometry is geometry, assuming it was modeled and UV mapped well, you can really spiff up the old props, especially those old Poser 4/5 era props, where due to the limits of memory at the time had some pretty rough looking textures by modern standards.

As for your scene, I'll go with you on the desk being shiny, it plays well with the small pool of light from the lamp, and to contrast the blood. I'd roughen up the floor though, to give it a "down at the heels" appearance suitable for a gumshoe... (see what I did there? ;-) )

Post edited by Mr Gneiss Guy on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,200
    edited December 1969

dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    Sorry, double posted.

I may have misled you.

Thank you for the taking time to look I to this. It's very much appreciated.The Nvidia video setup is driven by some super powerful hardware, so it moves pretty fast. On my GTX 760 with 2 GB of memory, things are slow. But I can see the HDRI in the Aux viewport and I can (slowly!) move it. If you see something like image 1 in your Aux Viewport when you set the Aux viewport draw stule to Nvidia Iray, just wait. It takes my machine maybe 30 seconds to change to image 2. Then I enter a numeric value in the Dome Rotation to rotate it. Then in just a few seconds, image 3 appears, showing the rotation of the dome and the lighting change because of it. I don't drag the Dome Rotation slider, because my hardware is just not fast enough to respond in real-time like that. Maybe if we each had a few VCAs like in the video!

Screenshot_2015-03-30_13.00_.27_.png
    650 x 508 - 468K
    Screenshot_2015-03-30_12.48_.46_.png
    642 x 520 - 490K
    Screenshot_2015-03-30_12.48_.06_.png
    651 x 538 - 106K
  • MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited March 2015

dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    Sorry, double posted.

I may have misled you.

I also had this problem for ages then discovered that in the Aux Viewport box click on the draw style options menu that lets you choose options like wireframe, and Texture shaded etc and you will see an option for Iray. Select that, and depending how powerful your computer is eventually the HDRI background will appear. Then when you go into render settings and to 'Environment' you will see dome rotation. Rotate the dome and you will then see it rotate in the Aux Viewport window in real time.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by Musicplayer on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited March 2015

I'm constantly vacillating between using Genesis 2 or Genesis 1 figures.

This is an update to one of my comic characters, one of the fathers Gabriel Siljean, with a Genesis 1 figure. I added a few tweaks to make him older than I originally had.

I had converted another character to G2F, but I'm not sure about whether I should bother with other characters -- the image sizes are typically only 800 pixels wide, so.

(I'm torn between having more dials and stuff for expressions and face shaping in G2 vs. stuff like unshaven beard for G1, which is WAY more flexible than anything in G2)

Gabriel.jpg
    1125 x 1080 - 384K
    Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited March 2015

dinopt said:

When I load an HDRI as an environment map, the only way to see the image in the map is to select "draw dome - on" and render an image

There is one other thing that may apply here. When you are in the Iray viewport, to speed up manipulation and make it usable with our high poly content and high res textures, if response time drops to a certain point, then the viewport drops out of Iray mode and into smooth shaded (which wont' show the HDRI until you stop moving and Iray kicks back in.). You can change the balance and optimize your settings for your hardware in the new Draw Settings pane.
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

It's also up in the gallery, but...

2015-03-28_Floor_web.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 539K
    edited December 1969

dinopt said:

There is one other thing that may apply here. When you are in the Iray viewport, to speed up manipulation and make it usable with our high poly content and high res textures, if response time drops to a certain point, then the viewport drops out of Iray mode and into smooth shaded (which wont' show the HDRI until you stop moving and Iray kicks back in.). You can change the balance and optimize your settings for your hardware in the new Draw Settings pane.

Ok, now I think we're onto something. That makes sense. I'll check this out when I get home in a few hours and post back.

Thanks again

edited December 1969

sedor said:

Nice!

• tomtom.wtomtom.w Posts: 138
    edited March 2015

About a week ago when I was testing some new non-metallic Iray car paint shader presets that I had made I made a render of five "Morris 1936" cars, but didn't upload it anywhere since I wasn't happy with it, because the large flat area behind the seats is supposed to be a canvas cover, not painted bodywork (as you can see if you search for images of "Morgan 4" on Google). So this weekend I started to play with the tools in DS to see if I could solve the problem inside DS or would have to create a canvas cover as a separate prop in an external 3D-editor. And then I found the geometry editor, which could do exactly what I wanted to do, create a separate surface out of the large rear deck and the wall behind the seats, so that it could be shaded separately. As can be seen in the bottom render.

It's not perfect, but it's far better than it was, and I'm beginning to like DS...

Morris_1936_with_canvas_cover.png
    1280 x 1440 - 3M
    Sportscar_Morris_1936_x5_(1920x1080p).png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by tomtom.w on
    edited December 1969

sedor said:

Great stuff!
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 1969

I'm doing a series of this model I've named Valerie; using it to practice Iray, and so far I'm liking what it does, even on CPU only.

I might finally upgrade my old 6950; was considering a Titan but don't think it offers enough for the outlay. It is tempting though.

No dome, only Iray spots, still trying to get better; sadly I can't post most of what I've done in the forum due to TOF. I'll be posting them elsewhere.

Francis_001.JPG
    1500 x 2000 - 2M
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited March 2015

More experiments. Again, while I like the control of Genesis 2, I like the breadth of Genesis 1. nngh

Edit: I REALLY like 'actual hair.' This is the Genesis version... not sure if the G2 version is significantly, but as is it translates to Iray REALLY well.

I just wish there were some equally versatile male hair things. Ah well.

Callie2.jpg
    667 x 1080 - 214K
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited March 2015

tomtom.w said:
    About a week ago when I was testing some new non-metallic Iray car paint shader presets that I had made I made a render of five "Morris 1936" cars, but didn't upload it anywhere since I wasn't happy with it, because the large flat area behind the seats is supposed to be a canvas cover, not painted bodywork (as you can see if you search for images of "Morgan 4" on Google). So this weekend I started to play with the tools in DS to see if I could solve the problem inside DS or would have to create a canvas cover as a separate prop in an external 3D-editor. And then I found the geometry editor, which could do exactly what I wanted to do, create a separate surface out of the large rear deck and the wall behind the seats, so that it could be shaded separately. As can be seen in the bottom render.

It's not perfect, but it's far better than it was, and I'm beginning to like DS...

...nicely done. Have to do that myself when I get some free time.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

tomtom.w said:

Definitely agree that the geometry editor is well worth learning for the ability to customize surfaces, you can really customize things when you can do that. I did look up the "Morgan 4" as you suggested and I see what you are going for. It seems a small series of cylinders along the edge of the "canvas" area so mimic the snaps/buttons might add a little bit but I think you've come pretty close to the look as it is.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    dinopt said:
    Sorry, double posted.

I may have misled you.

DS 4.8 lets you preview your environment map in either viewport by setting the drawstyle to Nvidia Iray. If that isn't working for you, something else is going on.

It could be your hardware or, more likely, it could be the environment map you're using. Have you tried using a different map to see if you have the same problem? I'm not all that familiar with HDRI, but I've read some are better than others for using as an environment map.

Elsewhere in this or other threads on Iray , it's mentioned that the size of your HDRI is important. Apparently it needs to be 8000 pixels by 4000 pixels, or some such. I believe they said the ratio is important, too. Is the image you want to use as large or larger than this? Does it have the 2:1 ratio?

I've tried smaller images, before I found the post I mentioned above, and I got some interesting backgrounds, though not at all what I was expecting or wanted. What you are describing, when you describe the viewport, sounds like this issue to me. However, if your environment map were too small, you should be seeing the same gradient in an actual render. At least, that is my experience.

My computer is running on CPU only, and I've noticed a lag between when I set a viewport to Iray and when it starts drawing the images. It opens with everything in grayscale, then after what feels like a long time, the rendered image starts to show. Is it possible you're not giving it enough time to start rendering the environment?

If you're getting the same issue with all your HDRI images and you've verified they are large enough with the correct ratio, then it does seem very odd you can't get the environment map to render in the viewport with the drawstyle set to Nvidia Iray. Even with my anemic setup, I can see the HDRI in the background when my viewport is setup for it.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

More IBL testing with iray.
    I had to completely redo all the surface shaders for Bot for Genesis. and after some reflection I think the car paint shaders with metallic flakes were not the best call..

Metal-Hyde-iray.jpg
    500 x 809 - 216K
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

I'm constantly vacillating between using Genesis 2 or Genesis 1 figures.

This is an update to one of my comic characters, one of the fathers Gabriel Siljean, with a Genesis 1 figure. I added a few tweaks to make him older than I originally had.

I had converted another character to G2F, but I'm not sure about whether I should bother with other characters -- the image sizes are typically only 800 pixels wide, so.

(I'm torn between having more dials and stuff for expressions and face shaping in G2 vs. stuff like unshaven beard for G1, which is WAY more flexible than anything in G2)

I have Unshaven and it works on G2M. I did find it doesn't want to follow the facial expressions, for the most part. However, if you right-click on the beard, select "Fit-to" and fit it to "none", then repeat that fitting it back to the G2M figure, it will fit to the new expression. A bit of a pain, but an easy enough work-around. Oddly enough, it works perfectly with Smile Delight.
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    tomtom.w said:

...nicely done. Have to do that myself when I get some free time.

If you do then also fix the surface group assignment for the three fasteners behind the door on the right-hand side of the car. They're fully modelled but should be part of surface group "Hool_r" and not "Hool" if you want to be able to apply chrome to them...

I started creating a new surface group for the hub caps too, to be able to have wheel rims of whatever color I wanted while still having chromed hub caps, but because of the large number of very small and hard to see polygons it's a far more time consuming job than creating a new surface group for the cover, so it'll have to wait.

• KirtemorKirtemor Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

I am really enjoying this new renderer... WOuld love to hear what you all think of this.

The_Lady_Of_Blackstone_6.png
    1164 x 526 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Kirtemor said:
    I am really enjoying this new renderer... WOuld love to hear what you all think of this.
    Looks great.

You might try setting the dragon's eye surface to thin water though.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    I had to completely redo all the surface shaders for Bot for Genesis. and after some reflection I think the car paint shaders with metallic flakes were not the best call..

You can easily dial out the metal flakes, while keeping everything else, just set metal flake intensity to zero in the surfaces tab.

• KirtemorKirtemor Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Thanks will try that. :)

edited December 1969

tomtom.w said:
    Rareth said:

You can easily dial out the metal flakes, while keeping everything else, just set metal flake intensity to zero in the surfaces tab.

yeah I did that for parts of it, just need to sit down and spend the time to remove the flakes from the rest of the parts..

edited December 1969

Less reflection.. more teeth...

Beastly-iray.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 291K
This discussion has been closed.