DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• artoirartoir Posts: 65
    edited March 2015

MrPoser said:
    This is kind of a how's your graphics card hanging thread.... mine was in the pool! mine was in the pool!

I agree.

People have asked various questions relating specifically to this new release (myself included) and they seem to be getting snubbed for this conversation :(

I guess that leaves me out since my question is at the bottom of page 472,396,885

Post edited by artoir on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If you go to the Beta page in your product library (here, at the store...in your account) there are specific instructions of what to do in the DIM to get it to show up for download.

• KittiKitti Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

artoir said:
    I dunno what I'm doing wrong, but I just threw the Iradium beta in my basket, checked out, hit the download button and when my downloader opened it was empty. I tried it like three times. Am I missing something? I have seen people posting test renders and they look great, can I try it too!?

Thanks!

I was a little put off first myself - the product page shows how to make sure the correct filters are checked and you'll also need to "display hidden"

If you've been through that and still not showing anything you may need to open a ticket.

edited March 2015

mjc1016 said:
    If you go to the Beta page in your product library (here, at the store...in your account) there are specific instructions of what to do in the DIM to get it to show up for download.

Oh, ok, thanks Addict! EDIT: Umm I mean mjc1016! I can't read either!

Post edited by artoir on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Oh I see it! I never bothered to scroll down..dduueerr

edited December 1969

Got it, it's cookin' :-) thanks kittisiubhan and mjc1016!!

• KittiKitti Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

artoir said:
    Got it, it's cookin' :-) thanks kittisiubhan and mjc1016!!

Excellent! I'm still working on trying to get mine to open... I'll just have to live vicariously for now - have fun!

P.S. I was trolling your dA gallery - lots of good stuff you're gonna rock with this new version!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Thanks I'll do that.

Edit to add: Was a very good idea :-) D/S loads faster and works freer [not as bogged down] than before updating via the site.

And after an hour's render saved to the Desktop, my happy results:

Basically, Windows update is a couple of builds back...if not more on drivers. It's always been that way. There's also certain hardware that will drop off the list, but is still being updated/supported by the manufacturer.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited March 2015

Last test for now, moved sun slightly and used the tonal effects that Khory mentioned. Not sure how to make the window less blinding yet, but I need to get back to other projects. Thanks for the suggestions.

edit: and a postworked version with godrays just because. :) OK, now back to other things.

darkroom_5_1061_postworked.jpg
    1000 x 700 - 125K
    darkroom_5_1061_itinerations.jpg
    1000 x 700 - 674K
    Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,941
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    I solved the no texture issue. If I select Iray in the menu, I don't get texs in the render. If I select Texture shaded, I get 'em.

I thought that was only for the viewport display? Do I need to select Iray to render?

mac

When switching to NVIDIA Iray in Viewport, depending on the hardware, there are no textures until it has caught up. Which can be anything from seconds to minutes, depending on the scene. If the camera is moved or something in scene is being changed/moved, etc, the process repeats itself.

To render with Iray, you need to select NVIDIA Iray as the enging in Render Settings.

• SiotradSiotrad Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

Dumor3D said:
    Testing some of my stuff... Using the lights I built in to Spa Sauna for use with Luxrender, Iray is doing a great job! And in minutes instead of hours.

Nice.

What was the lights pack used ???

Because, for me, skydomes and other lights did'nt work.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Last test for now, moved sun slightly and used the tonal effects that Khory mentioned. Not sure how to make the window less blinding yet, but I need to get back to other projects. Thanks for the suggestions.

edit: and a postworked version with godrays just because. :) OK, now back to other things.

These are looking great! You have chosen a scene with very high contrasts, and just like if you were taking a photo, you can have the room exposed well but the window overexposed, or the window exposed correctly which would mean the room is in virtual blackness. That is realism for you! If you wanted, you could generate two images and combine them to get the effect you want, but I think the overblown window looks good.

If people have not used a photorealistic renderer before, then you need to recognise that lighting works differently, so you cannot expect light sets created specifically for the 3DL renderer to work right with Iray. But when you get used to it, it is generally easier to light scenes with fewer lights and get great and predictable results with PBR renderers (I am talking with experience of Luxrender and Octane, but not specifically Iray yet). Looking forward to trying this all out!

• SighmanSighman Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

For my first test I tried loading the ready-to-render scene: Barefoot Dancer. I started the render and then after 96 iterations it locked up. I could not cancel the render and I had to kill DS. I tried CPU only and it locked up after 6 iterations. There is something in that scene that iray does not like. I have a 6G Titan so it is not a question of memory. I have tried other scenes and they all render fine. It is only Barefoot Dancer that seems to lock up the renderer. Oh, if I only select a GPU (no CPU) then it still stops rendering after a few iterations but I can cancel the render.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Spooky mentioned earlier that rendering some ivy's (don't remember which ones) cause Iray to crash. Since the Barefoot Dancer scene has ivy in it, I'm guessing that is the problem. It's a known bug in Iray, and they are expecting a fix from Nvidia.

I haven't had it crash yet (actually, 4.8 and Iray have been a lot more stable than 4.7 for me), but it definitely isn't as interactive as Octane - or as interactive and easy to use as the Octane plugin for Carrara. But it is a great free add-on to DS!

• Sanders AlexSanders Alex Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Support for Nvidia is good, but it is expected introduction of technology Mantle?

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

Iray is only for Nvidia CUDA Graphic Cards or CPU Only rendering.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

You know what, so far, I have only seen a couple of renders that have been good, but nothing that has really blown my socks off. If I so wished, I could get a 4GB EVGA card for under £100, which, might I add, is actually less than I paid for my 2GB card this time last year. If I see something that really makes me sit up and salivate then, maybe, just maybe, some way down the road when I can comfortably afford the card, I might just take the plunge with the full release.

So, come on guys, impress me...

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Jennyver said:
    Iray is only for Nvidia CUDA Graphic Cards or CPU Only rendering.

I'm aware of. 21 in the yard, and still have priority old or the same type of technology. As recent tests: Mantle is not inferior Nvidia, but much faster than their cards and computing.

• AlanDavisAlanDavis Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone,
    i'm testing the new engine with the cpu while don't have any nvidia gpu.
    It seems work quite fine.....only one problem appear....
    Does it happens to you that the rendering stop at 50 or 75% instead of 100% ?
    It happens to me 2 times...especially if the scene was more complex.
    Any feedback?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 1969

I object to a technology that only supports one brand of card. Good job daz studio is free.

edited December 1969

The argument there is that it is fine with anything else if you use CPU rendering. I'm somewhat cagey about that. I'll only get 4.8 and a new card if I see something that totally makes me want to do it. Otherwise I'll stick to 4.7 thanks.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Thank you for your answers. I hear your opinion. I am the developer of games and interactive applications and work with Mantle me personally more comfortable than working with Nvidia. I pointed out to app developers also took into account the wishes of their end users.

Best regards to the users and the developers.

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Played with it last night, great potential.

Too bad they didn't include the Iray realtime render engine also, I guess I'm spoiled by the direct feedback of the Octane viewport.

Peter.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

But does it bog down your system like 3Delight. I find Reality and Luxrender to handle much better on my entry level laptop then Daz and 3Delight. What I really want to know is if my computer is going to be hogged of memory and act sluggish? That's one of the main things I didn't like with 3Delight. And I'm very limited as far as income is concerned so I can't go and upgrade. I really would like to warm to this Iray engine, but I still would like to know if it will have a resources advantage over 3Delight or if my computer will perform better with the Reality4/Luxrender combo?

Just make DazStudio/3Delight run belownormal ...
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/768/#7218

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

You know what, so far, I have only seen a couple of renders that have been good, but nothing that has really blown my socks off. If I so wished, I could get a 4GB EVGA card for under £100, which, might I add, is actually less than I paid for my 2GB card this time last year. If I see something that really makes me sit up and salivate then, maybe, just maybe, some way down the road when I can comfortably afford the card, I might just take the plunge with the full release.

So, come on guys, impress me...

CHEERS!

You know what, it is free and can be used on any computer. So maybe you should give it a try and impress US!

edited December 1969

I don't use DIM, so, by the time the full release comes out there will be more renders. We'll see...

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

I don't use DIM, so, by the time the full release comes out there will be more renders. We'll see...

CHEERS!

I've seen some really nice renders already and it's only the first 48 hours since it was available, so people are still learning their way around it. And of course it is all about choice, you can upgrade to 4.8 and still just use 3DL if that is what you like (there are other enhancements in 4.8). But based on what I have seen already, this gives way more realistic results than the old DS renderer.

• a-sennova-sennov Posts: 331
    edited December 1969

Tried this build all night long :) Impressions are very positive: integration is done right, speed is decent and many useful options (clip planes, IES lights etc.). Also very stable - no single crash.

Will put more efforts in animation testing tonight :)

edited March 2015

PhilW said:

I've seen some really nice renders already and it's only the first 48 hours since it was available, so people are still learning their way around it. And of course it is all about choice, you can upgrade to 4.8 and still just use 3DL if that is what you like (there are other enhancements in 4.8). But based on what I have seen already, this gives way more realistic results than the old DS renderer.

I hear you, but, I think Iray should be an option, so those that don't get on with it or don't feel they can use it don't have it tacked on when it's of no use to them. A Standard and Pro release would be a way to go.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

PhilW said:

I hear you, but, I think Iray should be an option, so those that don't get on with it or don't feel they can use it don't have it tacked on when it's of no use to them. A Standard and Pro release would be a way to go.

CHEERS!

You have a choice of render engines, Iray/3Delight/OpenGL.