DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,505
    edited December 1969

Played with it last night, great potential.

Too bad they didn't include the Iray realtime render engine also, I guess I'm spoiled by the direct feedback of the Octane viewport.

Peter.

Did you test the NVIDIA IRay preview mode?

prevmode.jpg
    254 x 290 - 15K
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

A render of another scene I did earlier with Sun and Sky light.

asdasd.png
    900 x 506 - 897K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your answers. I hear your opinion. I am the developer of games and interactive applications and work with Mantle me personally more comfortable than working with Nvidia. I pointed out to app developers also took into account the wishes of their end users.

Best regards to the users and the developers.

Uhm ... is this Mantle a physically based render engine for AMD cards?
    I don't know - that's why I am asking ...

And remember - Daz probably has to pay for each render engine that is implemented into DazStudio ... which is free.
    So there are other things playing into the decision which render engines are put into DS.

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Thank you for your answers. I hear your opinion. I am the developer of games and interactive applications and work with Mantle me personally more comfortable than working with Nvidia. I pointed out to app developers also took into account the wishes of their end users.

And remember - Daz probably has to pay for each render engine that is implemented into DazStudio ... which is free.
    So there are other things playing into the decision which render engines are put into DS.

I suspect this is Mantle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_(API)

Mantle is a low-level rendering API targeted at 3D video games.[4] Mantle was originally developed by AMD in cooperation with DICE starting in 2013.[1] Mantle was designed as an alternative to Direct3D and OpenGL, primarily for use on personal computers, although the GPUs present in the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One are supported by Mantle.[1][5] According to AMD, Mantle will make a slight shift in focus after March 2015 to other areas since the Mantle-derived Vulkan API from the Khronos Group is largely replacing it in the gaming space

edited December 1969

Mantle has evolved AFAIK into Vulcan, the next gen "OpenGL" https://www.khronos.org/vulkan

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Mantle is a low-level rendering API targeted at 3D video games.[4] Mantle was originally developed by AMD in cooperation with DICE starting in 2013.[1] Mantle was designed as an alternative to Direct3D and OpenGL, primarily for use on personal computers, although the GPUs present in the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One are supported by Mantle.[1][5] According to AMD, Mantle will make a slight shift in focus after March 2015 to other areas since the Mantle-derived Vulkan API from the Khronos Group is largely replacing it in the gaming space

If it is, it's certainly not the same thing as what Iray is doing, nor is supported on Apple operating systems.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

If it is, it's certainly not the same thing as what Iray is doing, nor is supported on Apple operating systems.

Right, Mantle and Vulcan are realtime gaming APIs, which could be used for the OpenGL viewport, but it's not for "Photrealistic renderering". If you see something extremely cool in a game, you should keep in mind that it is most certainly prerendered and precalculated, even things like reflections and things like that are, as they are too time consuming to do fully in real time.

IRay, 3DL and other render engines are made to render thing not in real time, except using extreme systems. nVidia ships a system with 8 cards as 12GB VRAM per card. You stack a rack of those and you can make HD animation renders in real time, but you could also get yourself a private Jet for the same money.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Can someone tell me how to turn off the yellow when you select something. I can't find anything to do this anywhere.

• BBlogoBBlogo Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

Iray seems very promising. I hope that DAZ will provide some good Subsurface skin shaders at the time the final version of DS 4.8 will come.
    --------------------

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Played with it last night, great potential.

Too bad they didn't include the Iray realtime render engine also, I guess I'm spoiled by the direct feedback of the Octane viewport.

Peter.

Did you test the NVIDIA IRay preview mode?

Wow, no, didn't see that (although I thought I checked the display modes...)

Thank you Totte!

Peter.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Can someone tell me how to turn off the yellow when you select something. I can't find anything to do this anywhere.

The option has been moved to the Draw Settings pane - I had to ask for help on that. I have updated the FAQ entry now.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Thank you for that Richard.

edited December 1969

Appears that you will need an NVIDIA card
    Compatible cards listed here
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

Look at the Advanced tab of Render Settings (with Iray set as the engine) - you can turn your GPU(s) and CPU on and off. It's not that impressed with my 1GB card - it managed a naked G2F, but failed with a slightly more complex scene, but I cans till run in CPU-only mode (which is of course slower).

This might be a stupid question but will this work with AMD GPUs? I've got a Mac Pro 2013 with two AMD D700s but I also have a 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5?

It will not use AMD GPUs, it will be CPU-only on an AMD GPU system.

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Did anyone find more info on what all the render and material parameters do?

I've checked the Nvidia Iray site, but all their info seem to be either general or too specific (3ds max oriented)...

Peter.

edited December 1969

even cranked up, my photometric lights dont seem to do anything. I have tried setting it to scene only and to dome and scene, but no noticeable effect from the lights -only the dome and sun/sky seems to work. I have turned off my cam's headlamp as well, in case that interfered somehow but no dice.

What are your render settings, for Tone Mapping and Environment particularly?

edited March 2015

Ostadan said:
    Where do I find the 'emitter' shader? Did I not install something?

You need to install the Iray Beta Content, then there will be a folder in Shader Presets labelled Iray Uber Base. The Emitter preset is in there.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    edited December 1969

Anyone having any luck on the skin set ups?

This is the best i can get ---

Test_Render_Final_1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • will2powerwill2power Posts: 270
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know if Iray supports Ambient Occlusion? It would be nice to be able to bake ambient occlusion into the maps.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Hardware question:
    Does somebody know whether I would get one of those 4GB Graphics cards that need two slots like this one:
    https://www.alternate.de/ASUS/ROG-STRIKER-GTX760-P-4GD5-Grafikkarte/html/product/1186048?tk=7&lk=8406
    on my mainboard?
    Mainboard: Asrock Fatal1ty P67 Performance

Alternately I am thinking about this one:
    https://www.alternate.de/EVGA/GeForce-GT-740-SuperClocked-4-GB-Grafikkarte/html/product/1144136?tk=7&lk=8408

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Generally with video problems like described, especially with Nvidia cards, there are two common causes...heat or drivers. It's not really an issue with the stability of the program, but rather one of hardware or drivers. On a Mac you are pretty much limited to the drivers that Apple gives you, so you may want to look into cooling options.

I monitor the heat at all times during heavy loads and it never ran into issues. I could go back and run some very intensive 3D games that make the fans go nuts and really push the GPU and no issues arise.

It could be a driver issue since that's Apple's responsibility, but that's about it if we are going to completely discount the possibility that Iray is the issue.

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Last test for now, moved sun slightly and used the tonal effects that Khory mentioned. Not sure how to make the window less blinding yet, but I need to get back to other projects. Thanks for the suggestions.

edit: and a postworked version with godrays just because. :) OK, now back to other things.

WOW SS!!!! Those are starting to look really good! I am glad to see you hanging in there and trying new things. :) Awesome work on this. :)

Kat

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

You know what, so far, I have only seen a couple of renders that have been good, but nothing that has really blown my socks off. If I so wished, I could get a 4GB EVGA card for under £100, which, might I add, is actually less than I paid for my 2GB card this time last year. If I see something that really makes me sit up and salivate then, maybe, just maybe, some way down the road when I can comfortably afford the card, I might just take the plunge with the full release.

So, come on guys, impress me...

CHEERS!

"Good" is very subjective. I have seen some awesome images coming from users who have had their hands on the software less than 24 hrs and are learning a completely new rendering system. Don't wait on others to impress you. Try it out yourself. :) Even on just CPU. See what you can do instead of waiting on others. :)

Kat

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

You have a choice of render engines, Iray/3Delight/OpenGL.

While true, it looks very much as though an Nvidia graphics card is the best option for Iray and if you don't have one then that leaves the other two. Yes, I'm very well aware you can do CPU rendering, but it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

I do sometimes wonder if Daz lose sight of what Daz Studio actually is from time to time....

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Toyen said:

Great job Toyen. :)

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited March 2015

Rogerbee said:

You have a choice of render engines, Iray/3Delight/OpenGL.

While true, it looks very much as though an Nvidia graphics card is the best option for Iray and if you don't have one then that leaves the other two. Yes, I'm very well aware you can do CPU rendering, but it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

I do sometimes wonder if Daz lose sight of what Daz Studio actually is from time to time....

CHEERS!

I think of lray as DAZ Studio's shiny new CPU renderer - basically replacing the 3Delight CPU renderer but without removing the 3Delight option.

Then I think of the GPU rendering capabilities of lray as an added bonus to this new render engine - one that, for those that have or can afford the hardware, offers the potential of distinct benefits.

I have been too chicken to download it myself yet - but I DO think of it very much as added value, with nothing taken away :D

Cheers,

Cliff

Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know if Iray supports Ambient Occlusion? It would be nice to be able to bake ambient occlusion into the maps.

Not as such - AO is a way of getting the effect of bounce light without going the whole hog, but Iray is made to go the whole hog.

edited December 1969

For those who don't want to dig through the whole thread, here are the document links again:

Nvidia Iray:

Nvidia Iray Documentation

Iray Uber Shader:

Iray Uber Shader Documentation

These documents are fluid and will change over the course of the beta to add/clarify more information. :)

Kat

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:

Great job Toyen. :)

Thanks! The sun effect for which I needed 3+ lights in 3Delight I did with just one sun light in Iray which is great.
    I needed to tweak the sun position a bit though to place it above to building to get these shadows which took a little while, I thought that if I set the sun to 12:00 AM, it would automatically move to the position.

But so far, the sun and sky feature is great. One thing though that bothers me a bit is that we can´t actually assign a custom environment texture to it, or can we?

edited December 1969

Anyone having any luck on the skin set ups?

This is the best i can get ---

That is a good start. Have you tried applying the Skin shader included and go from there? (Genesis 2 based)

Kat

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

"Good" is very subjective. I have seen some awesome images coming from users who have had their hands on the software less than 24 hrs and are learning a completely new rendering system. Don't wait on others to impress you. Try it out yourself. :) Even on just CPU. See what you can do instead of waiting on others. :)

Kat

Yes, well, as I stated in another post, I don't use the DIM, so, by the time 4.8 makes it to full release and I can download it the way I choose to, people will have had a lot longer to play with it and will doubtless produce some really good renders. I don't have the budget others do, so a graphics card is a major investment for me and is one I don't intend to make if I don't feel I need to.

CPU might well be an option, but, I already spent a fair amount of money on a graphics card last year, one I bought specifically for using DS and it makes no sense to me if I'm not going to utilise it.

CHEERS!