DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I have been too chicken to download it myself yet - but I DO think of it very much as added value, with nothing taken away yet :D

Ouch ... could you delete that last word "yet" - I would hate seeing 3Delight go. I LIKE some of the not photorealistic effects in my renders ...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

For those who don't want to dig through the whole thread, here are the document links again:

Nvidia Iray:

Nvidia Iray Documentation

Iray Uber Shader:

Iray Uber Shader Documentation

These documents are fluid and will change over the course of the beta to add/clarify more information. :)

Kat

Uhm - at the first link the Presets Page gives me a
    Permission Denied
    Sorry, you don't have enough rights to continue.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited March 2015

Kerya said:

Ouch ... could you delete that last word "yet" - I would hate seeing 3Delight go. I LIKE some of the not photorealistic effects in my renders ...

I'm rather fond of 3Delight myself, which was why I mentioned wondering if Daz lose sight of what they want DS to be. Surely if they want a 3D program that uses high end render engines they could write one and leave DS where it is. Could they not put Iray into Carrara, which is what I thought Daz's high end 3D program was.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Kerya said:

I'm rather fond of 3Delight myself, which was why I mentioned wondering if Daz lose sight of what they want DS to be. Surely if they want a 3D program that uses high end render engines they could write one and leave DS where it is. Could they not put Iray into Carrara, which is what I thought Daz's high end 3D program was.

CHEERS!

The thing is that DAZ has many options for rendering the base content that they sell. This is really what the focus is on: the content. DAZ studio allows that content to be displayed in different ways, now including physically based renderers.

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

While I'm looking forward to playing with the new Iray renderer, I'm going to still be leaning on the 3Delight renderer for quite a while as I've got my lighting setup pretty close to what I'm wanting. Since that's the case, will Daz be fixing the long render times in 4.8 for the 3Delight renderer? As well as the plane and primitive collision issue?

• ElianeckElianeck Posts: 52
    edited December 1969

hi guys

why my render very slow in new Daz ? what better setting to visualize before a final render?

tks

Elianeck

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited March 2015

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Hi Roger,

3delight is a "high end render engine". :-)

The way they re-wrote the render settings tab in the last update actually lends itself to adding as many render engines as they like.
    I wonder if more are planned!?

...for example in Cinema I have 2 internal render engines and have added 2 external ones, I just use what's appropriate for the job.

What I would not like is multiple versions of Studio.

Post edited by prixat on
    edited December 1969

The thing is that DAZ has many options for rendering the base content that they sell. This is really what the focus is on: the content. DAZ studio allows that content to be displayed in different ways, now including physically based renderers.

Ok, yeah, I see what you're saying.

DS got me into 3D Art and it was a way of doing it where I didn't need to spend a whole heap of money in order to get what I wanted out of it. As the years have gone by this has seemed to become less and less the case. Last year, I gave in and built a machine that I felt would enable me to use DS to it's fullest. If development continues with 3Delight then it still might, but, if everyone starts raving about Iray this might not end up being the case.

CHEERS!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,880
    edited December 1969

elianeck said:
    hi guys

why my render very slow in new Daz ? what better setting to visualize before a final render?

tks

Elianeck

What are your render settings? What is your hardware, especially your video card? What is in the scene, roughly, and how is it lit?

edited March 2015

prixat said:

Hi Roger,

3delight is a "high end render engine". :-)

The way they re-wrote the render settings tab in the last update actually lends itself to adding as many render engines as they like.
    I wonder if more are planned are more planned?

...for example in Cinema I have 2 internal render engines and have added 2 external ones, I just use what's appropriate for the job.

What I would not like is multiple versions of Studio.

Well, yes, that is true too. However, what I have now can use 3Delight really well, but maybe not Iray. If development switched to Iray and enough people wanted it that way, what then for anyone that didn't want that!?

If there was a version of DS that they could use then that would surely be a good thing.

CHEERS!

• R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited December 1969

I need some help with the Iray Emissive Shader.

I can`t get a glow effect.
    In the Viewport they look like they are glowing but in the final render they did not. (see Picture)

Have I missed to change some Parameter or else?

glow_test.jpg
    1000 x 769 - 367K
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,800
    edited December 1969

Allright, from what I've tested, the new render engine is brilliant. I LOVE it. :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,880
    edited December 1969

R25S said:

In the Viewport they look like they are glowing but in the final render they did not. (see Picture)

Your scene looks pretty well lit anyway - are you sure that isn't simply washing out the glow? I do see a bit of glow in the eye pieces, lowering the environment light may make it more obvious (as it would for a physical item).

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    For those who don't want to dig through the whole thread, here are the document links again:

Nvidia Iray:

Nvidia Iray Documentation

Iray Uber Shader:

These documents are fluid and will change over the course of the beta to add/clarify more information. :)

Kat

Uhm - at the first link the Presets Page gives me a
    Permission Denied
    Sorry, you don't have enough rights to continue.

Please note that some pages are still being worked on. If you get "permission denied" that page is not yet live. :) As I said, these are fluid through the beta. The pages with the most pertinant info are Tone Mapping, Environment, and the Iray Uber Surface shader pages, and those are all live and available.

Thanks!
    Kat

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited March 2015

Kerya said:

I have been too chicken to download it myself yet - but I DO think of it very much as added value, with nothing taken away :D

Done! Of course, there's nothing that says DAZ *must* remove 3Delight - and the render engine has been good to DAZ, I can easily see them keeping it as an alternative (and maybe even adding others) rather than getting rid of it.

Cheers,

Cliff

Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
    edited March 2015

Done! Of course, there's nothing that says DAZ *must* remove 3Delight - and the render engine has been good to DAZ, I can easily see them keeping it as an alternative (and maybe even adding others) rather than getting rid of it.

Cheers,

Cliff

It does get me wondering though. What do they want the future of DS to be!? The fact that they've been shouting so loudly about Iray could maybe indicate that this is where they're heading. Who can tell yet! (That's a justified 'yet'!)

CHEERS!

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Iray Uber Shader:

Kat

Psst, it's dielectric (as in di- latin for "two", and -electric) not dialectic, it looks like the auto spell checker didn't know the word, cuz it's peppered in the Iray shader documentation page.
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Arggghhh. I'm finally ready to download the beta with DIM but....I don't know where I should put it. I don't mind having the Beta in Program Files (I understand the deal and work with it) but does it ask me where to put it's My Library or whatever? I do have a folder in documents and I like its library to go into:

C:/Users/xxxx/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Lib Beta

Will DIM ask me? or?

• R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited December 1969

R25S said:

Your scene looks pretty well lit anyway - are you sure that isn't simply washing out the glow? I do see a bit of glow in the eye pieces, lowering the environment light may make it more obvious (as it would for a physical item).

You`re right, Richard.
    After adding a Skydome (the first Picture had no additional lighting - that was the Problem) it works fine.

But the Skydome did not render - it`s all black in the final Picture. I thought I read about Fixing that Problem but can`t remeber...
    Can you help me with that Problem, too?

glow_test2.jpg
    1000 x 769 - 109K
  • Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

It does get me wondering though. What do they want the future of DS to be!? The fact that they've been shouting so loudly about Iray could maybe indicate that this is where they're heading. Who can tell yet! (That's a justified 'yet'!)

CHEERS!

Oh they shout loudly about every new thing - "SHINY! SHINY!" but I think I can answer what they want DS to be. They want DS to be what the content-buying public (on the whole, not just you or me) will enjoy buying content to use in. As DAZ are a content-first company, making the software the best for the buying customers is absolutely in their best interests (development and licensing costs allowing).

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

Male M3dia said that too.

That being the case, why not stick with 3Delight so that all of their content buying public can and will continue to get what they want out of it!? This is also why a separate version of DS with all bells and whistles and one for everyone else is a viable option. Those that can will, and so then will those that can't.

CHEERS!

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

This is looking very promisin, congrats DAZ!

Test.png
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited March 2015

Rogerbee said:

Male M3dia said that too.

That being the case, why not stick with 3Delight so that all of their content buying public can and will continue to get what they want out of it!? This is also why a separate version of DS with all bells and whistles and one for everyone else is a viable option. Those that can will, and so then will those that can't.

CHEERS!

3Delight is still there. However, it's not the default renderer anymore. You can select either renderer from the render panel; it does not need to be in a separate program.

Once again it is a different way to render content. I will most likely use both options depending on the result I want, and others will too. If you only want to use 3delight, you have that option available to you as others will prefer to use other options like octane, luxrender, or Iray. None of those have went away.

I will say that the industry is leaning towards physically based renderers and the majority or renders I've seen in the gallery for years would benefit from this; so this is only a plus for the program.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited March 2015

ReDave said:
    This is looking very promisin, congrats DAZ!

Ok, that looks nice. What does Iray do with hair. Can it render Garibaldi hair!?

CHEERS!

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Ok. Here's my first render.

Specs - Win 7 / i7 3770 / Asus GTX 660ti 2Gb

Steps
    The scene had 4 lights - main, rim + 2 fills. I added 2 Photometric lights, using copy to replace the main + rim lights. I left the PMs at default, deleted all the original lights and set the headlamp to Off.

Render times
    Render 1 - Iray - 2 Photometric lights - 2892 iterations - 23mins 03secs (100% render)
    Render 2 - 3Delight - Original scene lights (in DS 4.8) - 35 secs

Questions
    1. What's the deal with transparency? The red/yellow/green pills in the center have 90% Opacity + a tex. In Iray, they're black. Also, the bottom left blister pack transparency isn't correct (Opacity 60% - no tex). So what do I need to do to fix that?
    2. The image is pretty noisy. Will the Noise filter cure this?
    3. Shadows were hard in the first Iray render, so I set them to 80% softness and did another render, but it didn't change anything at all. How do I get softer shadows? (I have some panels in the scene for shadows, so maybe the light isn't bouncing properly?)
    4. I read that Lumens have to cranked up for interiors, but they're at default in that render. Why didn't I need to change them?

Observations on DS 4.8
    When adding PM lights, I first selected a light in the scene and used the option to copy it. When I added the 2nd one, the option to copy was grayed out. I noticed in an earlier session that I had no option to copy a selected light. Is this a bug?
    Opening a scene and using CTRL+S to save it used to bring up the overwrite warning dialog (for the 1st save only). Has this been removed? Because I'm not getting it. The scene just saves with no overwrite warning.

mac

toiletries01.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 70K
    toiletries11.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 496K
    edited December 1969

3Delight is still there. However, it's not the default renderer anymore. You can select either renderer from the render panel; it does not need to be in a separate program.

Once again it is a different way to render content. I will most likely use both options depending on the result I want, and others will too. If you only want to use 3delight, you have that option available to you as others will prefer to use other options like octane, luxrender, or Iray. None of those have went away.

I will say that the industry is leaning towards physically based renderers and the majority or renders I've seen in the gallery for years would benefit from this; so this is only a plus for the program.

And there you have it. It's a plus if you have the hardware that can make best use of said physically based renderer, but, it's not such a plus if you don't regardless of the CPU option. How much hard drive space does Iray occupy? For those where this could be a concern, lugging it around when they won't use it much, if at all, could be a pain.

None of the options have gone away yet, you just said that 3Delight is no longer the default, that being the case, what is the future for it if things go the way you say they will for the industry!?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Ok. Here's my first render.

Specs - Win 7 / i7 3770 / Asus GTX 660ti 2Gb

Steps
    The scene had 4 lights - main, rim + 2 fills. I added 2 Photometric lights, using copy to replace the main + rim lights. I left the PMs at default, deleted all the original lights and set the headlamp to Off.

Render times
    Render 1 - Iray - 2 Photometric lights - 2892 iterations - 23mins 03secs (100% render)
    Render 2 - 3Delight - Original scene lights (in DS 4.8) - 35 secs

Questions
    1. What's the deal with transparency? The red/yellow/green pills in the center have 90% Opacity + a tex. In Iray, they're black. Also, the bottom left blister pack transparency isn't correct (Opacity 60% - no tex). So what do I need to do to fix that?
    2. The image is pretty noisy. Will the Noise filter cure this?
    3. Shadows were hard in the first Iray render, so I set them to 80% softness and did another render, but it didn't change anything at all. How do I get softer shadows? (I have some panels in the scene for shadows, so maybe the light isn't bouncing properly?)
    4. I read that Lumens have to cranked up for interiors, but they're at default in that render. Why didn't I need to change them?

Observations on DS 4.8
    When adding PM lights, I first selected a light in the scene and used the option to copy it. When I added the 2nd one, the option to copy was grayed out. I noticed in an earlier session that I had no option to copy a selected light. Is this a bug?
    Opening a scene and using CTRL+S to save it used to bring up the overwrite warning dialog (for the 1st save only). Has this been removed? Because I'm not getting it. The scene just saves with no overwrite warning.

mac

Mmmmm,

With the two side by side, I don't see all that much difference, aside maybe for the 3Delight render making the glass look a little better.

CHEERS!

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:

Iray Uber Shader:

Kat

Psst, it's dielectric (as in di- latin for "two", and -electric) not dialectic, it looks like the auto spell checker didn't know the word, cuz it's peppered in the Iray shader documentation page.

Nice catch. :) Fixed.

Kat

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

And there you have it. It's a plus if you have the hardware that can make best use of said physically based renderer, but, it's not such a plus if you don't regardless of the CPU option. How much hard drive space does Iray occupy? For those where this could be a concern, lugging it around when they won't use it much, if at all, could be a pain.

None of the options have gone away yet, you just said that 3Delight is no longer the default, that being the case, what is the future for it if things go the way you say they will for the industry!?

CHEERS!

DAZ_Spooky said earlier in this that thread that, barring unforeseen events (like 3Delight going bust or something), they have absolutely no plans to remove it from DS.

mac

edited December 1969

That's reassuring at least.

CHEERS!