UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• jag11 said:

Tried the biggest resolution.

Very nice!

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 586
    edited March 2022

Playing around with atmospheric ground fog (and UltraSceneryXT of course - 4 terrains in this scene)

Big lake.png
    1821 x 1024 - 2M
    Post edited by HowieFarkes on
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't think there is anything else to say.

Regards,

Richard

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

MelanieL said:

I was suffering withdrawal symptoms because I'd not been able to render anything for a few days (other things happening) but got back today. This is a Fairweather preset with an added heightmap created in Bryce and mixed as 100% map to 60% noise. (Clouds and birds added in postwork)

Oh, that's great that Bryce maps work.  Nice image!

jag11 said:

This is breathtaking!!  (And what do you mean by "biggest resolution"?)

HowieFarkes said:

Playing around with atmospheric ground fog (and UltraSceneryXT of course - 4 terrains in this scene)

Are all 4 of them XT?

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 586

sandmanmax said:

HowieFarkes said:

Are all 4 of them XT?

Yes, but there's only one of them that has a biome
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,168
    edited March 2022

Gogger said:

MelanieL said:

I was suffering withdrawal symptoms because I'd not been able to render anything for a few days (other things happening) but got back today. This is a Fairweather preset with an added heightmap created in Bryce and mixed as 100% map to 60% noise. (Clouds and birds added in postwork)

NICE! Now that's more like what I am trying to achieve in my renders. Great job!

Thank you, gogger!

Gorgeous renders today - jag11 and Howie

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • It seems instances are generated at render. Is there a way to hide them? I have a couple of trees in the way.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

sandmanmax said:

jag11 said:

This is breathtaking!!  (And what do you mean by "biggest resolution"?)

Thanks. I created the terrain with the maximum resolution allowed. There are 4 of them, being 128, 256, 512 and 1024 (biggest).

DoctorJellybean said:

jag11 said:

Very nice!

Thanks, Doctor.

MelanieL said:

Gogger said:

MelanieL said:

NICE! Now that's more like what I am trying to achieve in my renders. Great job!

Thank you, gogger!

Gorgeous renders today - jag11 and Howie

Thanks, Melanie. 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,122
    edited March 2022

richardandtracy said:

barbult said:

richardandtracy said:

I have had a lovely bit of fun just creating with USXT. I did notice though, on this latest one, some odd pyramidal artefacts (two along the far foreshore halfway up on the left, others elsewhere). Has anyone else had something similar?

Regards,

Richard

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but aren't those shadows from the rocks? Can you circle in red or something, the areas of concern? If you change the light angle, do the triangles change?

Most are identified below:

The scene was modelled at a 512 resolution. The pyramids look as if they could be due to one of two reasons: Insufficient resolution on the mesh or rounding issues on the vertex altitude. Probably mesh density. They are not a problem - I only noticed the first by accident - just curious if anyone else has come across them. I shall try smothing (if I haven't already). I will also see if I can get a duf file that I can share this evening - the machine is offline and not the one I am on at the moment. The sky is a freebie HDRI not everyone might have, so I need to get rid of that.

One other problem/oddity I had was that the height limitation on the biome only responded to the <Enter> key on the main keyboard. No changes were kept if I used the <Enter> key on the number pad, and even when using the main <Enter> key, the USXT addon only changed the Biome height limit every third attempt. When changing the forest lower altitude I could only get altitudes of 0m or 1m to register (I ended up with 1m) and not my desired 0.25m to give a small shoreline.

Regards,

Richard

At Howie's suggestion I upped the resolution to 1024, and all the pyramids disappeared.

Regards,

Richard.

USXT 02 R03.jpg
    1860 x 936 - 2M
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 703

I've started to upscale all my maps to 11000x11000, as a test, to get maximum texture effect on the terrains and I like the results so far.

Test1.png
    1931 x 869 - 3M
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,318
    edited March 2022

Here are two versions of the same UltraScenery scene with a USXT background, each with a tiny bit of Photoshop Neural A.I. on the water's edge and moutain side, and each with a different sky treatment in Luminar A.I. - I'm really liking all this coming together in a gigantic 3D and A.I. soup!

DS_Nordic_Lake_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 2M
    DS_Nordic_Lake_2_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214

@Gogger you are doing a very convincing job of blending UltraScenery and UltraSceneryXT. Good soup!

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,318

barbult said:

@Gogger you are doing a very convincing job of blending UltraScenery and UltraSceneryXT. Good soup!

Thank you, Ma'am! I really need to spend some quality time with your UltraScenery tutorials on editing maps and controlling the environment, as well as changing ecologies via json. I'm familiar with the ideas in general, just not in practice on US. I really appreciate all the effort you put into helping others!

edited March 2022

Sometimes my heightmaps in USXT create mountain peaks that are too high. I know that I can lower the contrast in editing to fix hight issues, or in my case, I lower the mountain height in worldcreator before export, but it's not an exact science. So I try using USXT's gamma in the heightmap tab for extra control but the results are like the inverse of the vignette effect - not desirable. It would be nice to have a contrast option to help lower the 'whites' in the heightmaps.

Post edited by AnEye4Art on

Just an alien landscape test.

Very Alien.png
    1931 x 869 - 3M
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,897

Any tips about, how to mix UltraScenery with UltraScenery XT?

edited March 2022
    The possibilities are endless with some imagination.
  • I knew there was a catch!

Where can I get some of this 'imagination' stuff?

Regards,

Richard.

Gogger said:

Here are two versions of the same UltraScenery scene with a USXT background, each with a tiny bit of Photoshop Neural A.I. on the water's edge and moutain side, and each with a different sky treatment in Luminar A.I. - I'm really liking all this coming together in a gigantic 3D and A.I. soup!

I loved them.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,168
    edited March 2022

I noticed something yesterday. I was using a hand-made height map which has a largish patch of mid-grey (no features) so creates a flat area. The tree biome doesn't populate that area at all, even with min slope set to zero. Is this deliberate (a handy way to create a clearing?) or a mistake?

ETA: I had no noise added at the time. Adding a small amount of noise sorted it out, but I didn't really want that elsewhere on the terrain.

Post edited by MelanieL on

Is there any way to position the water plane other than up/down and making it bigger or smaller?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214

sandmanmax said:

Is there any way to position the water plane other than up/down and making it bigger or smaller?

Turn on show Hidden Nodes in the Scene pane and you will see the water as an object in the scene list. Then you can move it. Your terrain materials probably won't look right, though, because they were calculated based on the water parameter the scene was built with, I believe. That's probably why the water node is hidden in the first place!

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,466

is there a way to return to default settings? 

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

daveso said:

Right Click on the setting you wish to reset & you will get a Reset To Default option appear 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,466

Platnumk said:

daveso said:

Right Click on the setting you wish to reset & you will get a Reset To Default option appear 

bummer ii i reset a lot of them so will probably have to do every one 1 at a time.  Need a general default reset. 

edited March 2022

Just read on the worldcreator discord forum that terrain tiling is coming to WC by May 2022. This is big news since there's been a sample render here of multiple USXT terrains used in one scene. With WC, I see the possibility of combining multiple biomes into one large terrain like, a dessert, snow and forrest all on one terrain. If USXT does not implement terrain tiling of some sort, at least I will have even higher resolution tiled textures once exported from WC.