NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Novica said:

Niiiice. She looks like Scarlet Johanssen.

I thought so too!

The Resolution is in GenX, down at the bottom. You can go from 0 (I guess) up to 50. The lower the number, the more smoothing. I think the default is 50. (I read through the entire 66 pages of that GenX thread, whew. Saw all kinds of variations in that setting in people's screenshots and discussion. 20 works for me and I'm not seeing much of a difference when I tested 30)

Ok I have never changed that so I am using whatever it defaults to, but haven't GenX'd anything for a little while, so many things to try so little time :)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Western Town
    http://www.daz3d.com/western-town

Welcome vendor Polish- if any other products are like this one, they've zipped to my favorite vendor list. Renders quickly (all these were under 5 minutes for 800 x 800 pngs) and in closeups, the detail is really nice. See the rock/sand one, and the door. One thing though, on the Hotel door, how do people get in? There's no handle, or hinges that I can see.

Be sure and read the wanted posters. Pony Express in particular.

Highly recommend this set. So many possibilities and closeups will do quite well.
    Again these are pngs.

westernTown5.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    westernTown4.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    westernTown3.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    westernTown2.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    westernTown1.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    edited December 1969

And two more.

westernTown7.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    westernTown6.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    edited December 1969

The lights used for the Western Town are Ruins of Angkor Wat Temple. I like the daylight set, and yes, it's UE2. Be sure and dim both the UE2 and the Sunlight as the sand will wash out if you don't. Easy, fast, only a tweak or two and your lights are ready to go!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Those look very nice, Novica. I confess I wonder if there will be a less 'abandoned' texture for this set?

Looks nice.

edited December 1969

Hmmm. Ninive appears to me to have an oversized head on a scrawny, elongated neck. I wanted to compare her head to another long necked gal, Monique. Ninive's head is really bothersome to me. My son walked in, saw the promo pic, and said "My god, she's anorexic."

I do think the characters for her look much better than the base figure.

ninive.png
    1567 x 1072 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I confess this character doesn't appeal to me. I don't mind mature slender figures which is actually a niche which hasn't been filled but we do have Giselle already and her proportions with the over-sized head look odd to me. Like can't decide between toon or realistic, but with the realistic skins the figure looks odd.

I do like some of the items released like the mermaid and lady of the lake texture. Can't see adding this base though to my runtime. I'm pretty exhausted with Caucasian based female figures and have enough women.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

I'm of the opposite view. There are plenty of beautiful women with that type of body (Tilda Swinton, Gwenyth Paltrow, and Roony Mara all come to mind), so having such a character is perfectly appropriate, and yes, I find her very attractive.

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/heart-jewels-for-genesis-2-female-s
    Don't forget to pick this up for free (or with purchase)

edited May 2015

Also remember you can use your PC+ monthly code on new releases that are DO's. (The other one requires $18 and can't be used on new.) I got the Nimue Hair for $5.25 and the colors $7.67 (no discount on the colors from the coupon) EDIT: Actually, I'm not getting the colors as there is a whitish silver in the original hair. Am going to tweak the Diffuse. Can also use Geometry Shells if I recall, and use different colors.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Hmmm. Ninive appears to me to have an oversized head on a scrawny, elongated neck. I wanted to compare her head to another long necked gal, Monique. Ninive's head is really bothersome to me. My son walked in, saw the promo pic, and said "My god, she's anorexic."

I do think the characters for her look much better than the base figure.

I see Ninive, like Lilith, as an exaggerated form of a realistic body type. I like the content of the bundles, and the base character will be useful too--I just wouldn't dial her to full strength. But I rarely use any character in its default form, anyway...I like dialing up my own.
    edited May 2015

The proportions bother me- I like skinny female figures, but that with the big head just looks off to me. =-) But everyone has different tastes in what they like.

I do like the Lady of the Lake texture. Does it work without the figure?

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited May 2015

OT: Important:
    Takata airbags- exploding. 12 different car manufacturers involved. Go to safercar.gov to see if your car has these extremely deadly airbags.
    34 million vehicles involved, the largest recall EVER. The airbag shoots metal shrapnel up to 3 1/2 inches in size. Five people killed already in United States, people's eyes have been put out, it's awful.

Edit: BMW, Chrysler, Daimler Trucks, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Toyota

Scott-L- agree, useful for dialing in. I just have too many to do that with already :)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Single Office Home Office
    http://www.daz3d.com/single-office-home-office

In your content library, this will be Daz >Props>ARTYficial>ARTY-HomeOffice

If you haven't taken a look at this for a lot of goody props, you're missing out.
    First of all though, I dislike the green, red, blue book repetition in all the products. So I mix it up with Fabricator. "Fabrics?" you might be thinking. Well, yes, but also because if you use the velvet, tweed, etc- it also puts the book color to white and you can have both a slight texture but also completely color change the book. I think the books at their default look too much like aluminum. Too shiny. I didn't change it so you could see it out of the box.

I recommend Bouche Your Diffuse, Burnout Velvet, Tweed, and Retro Circles (both pink and orange, then darken to maroon and dark rust) for the books. (Dark orange 82/41/0) (Newbies, go into your Surfaces and change the color of the diffuse.)

The swivel chair (highback) has nice attention to detail, love the padding on the arms. Only showing two colors, there is also black and white. Note in the "Bookcase full" they are grouped and you can't do anything else with them. You do, though, get a stack of books, etc to move around.

I put in bold what I think is really neat. (and what you might have missed if you only gave the product a quick glance from the gallery.) You can make the scene quite seasonal or for special occasions!

Equipment:
    Graphics Tablet
    Keyboard
    Monitor1
    Monitor2
    Mouse
    Printer
    Tablet pen
    Tower
    TV
    Furniture:
    Bookcase Full
    Bookcase
    CompDesk
    Corner Desk
    FootStool
    Swivel Chair 2
    Swivel Chair
    WallUnit
    Ornaments:
    Card
    Christmas Sign
    Dolphin1
    Dolphin2
    Elephant
    Elephant2
    Home
    Jug
    Jug2
    PhotoFrame1
    PhotoFrame2
    Sword
    Vase
    Woman

TableProps:
    Calculator
    Cup full
    Cup

HolePunch
    Letter
    LetterOpener
    mousemat
    PaperBlock
    Pen
    Pencil
    Phone
    Sharpener
    Stapler
    StationaryHolder
    TapeDispenser
    Cup Liquid
    WallHangings:
    wall art1
    wall art2
    wall art3
    wall art4
    All Cords are fully articulated
    All Computer Desk drawers open/close
    Card Materials:
    Anniversary
    BirthDay
    Christmas

Cup Liquid Materials:
    cappuccino
    Chocolate
    Coffee
    Tea

Monitor Materials:
    Art
    Devil
    DS
    Flow
    Pie
    Spreadsheet
    Mousemat Materials:
    dolphins
    ducks
    parrot
    penguin

chairSingleOfficeFabricated.jpg
    900 x 900 - 406K
    bookcaseSingleOfficeFabricated.jpg
    900 x 900 - 391K
    edited December 1969

Coming next (rendering now) the cool book jackets you can apply to the books. You can also select the color of the paper showing in the books. A lot of nice things which you wouldn't know unless you bought the product. This is a little goldmine! :)

edited December 1969

Okay Doctor Jellybean and Wee Dangerous John, who are those pictures of?

Aren't these a nice touch? :)

booksSingleOffice.jpg
    900 x 900 - 438K
    edited May 2015

Two more book jackets, a greeting card, a Christmas sign. (I laid these flat, they stand up) There is also an Anniversary card and Christmas card.

The mouse pad is under Table Props. I did sharpen this slightly. Will add another mousepad in a few minutes and will add it here. Parrot!

mousepadSingleOffice2.jpg
    715 x 575 - 321K
    mousepadSingleOffice3.jpg
    721 x 567 - 325K
    booksSingleOffice3.jpg
    900 x 900 - 356K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Speaking of the latest Daz character...
    I only bought the Arthurian Outfit and the extra textures for it. Would be great for a Guinevere render. I just didn't need anything else. I used my DO $6 Off, pretty nice at $11.11. :)

edited December 1969

I'm going to buy the mertail and textures- as soon as they fix the pricing. When I put it in my cart, the price goes up to 13.97

Speaking of which $13.97 seems to be the new price for so much in the store.

Oh, also will pick up Arcadia Rising.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Speaking of the latest Daz character...
    I only bought the Arthurian Outfit and the extra textures for it. Would be great for a Guinevere render. I just didn't need anything else. I used my DO $6 Off, pretty nice at $11.11. :)

Love to see it whenever you get time to render it :)

edited December 1969

I'm going to buy the mertail and textures- as soon as they fix the pricing. When I put it in my cart, the price goes up to 13.97

Speaking of which $13.97 seems to be the new price for so much in the store.

Oh, also will pick up Arcadia Rising.

They just put up some new PC items. I bought the Olympia character. The price was messing up on it at first. Probably the same problem you were having.
    edited December 1969

The issue isn't fixed mertail is still 13.97 but should be less like under ten dollars

edited December 1969

The issue isn't fixed mertail is still 13.97 but should be less like under ten dollars

Yep I tried it and same here. Where are the admins and Daz employees today? I haven't seen any of them post today. Maybe they're having a business meeting? :)
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

It's like a 30 second fix to dial Ninive's head smaller and her neck shorter to give her realistic proportions.. and most of that time is hunting for the dials. (I can never remember where they are) But yeah.. nice looking character overall, no idea why they gave her such a huge head by default.

edited December 1969

Thanks Fisty. Yes that is good to know. I may pick up the base and the lady of the lake texture when it hits 70 percent off but just don't have a specific need for this figure.

edited December 1969

Fast Grab has changed. Take a peek at this one. Although it's 9.00 (8.99) look at the crew compartment shown. Wonderful detail. Anyone have it that has rendered the interior or in a scene?
    http://www.daz3d.com/dystopian-heavy-lander-lvx9-basilisk

Also Flash sales going on. I already have all of Ron's (except blood 2, and I don't even use the first one.) Love the new wisp product of Rons.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads-up, Novica. I hurried over to the store, but didn't see anything I really want or need. Maybe next time.

edited December 1969

Sure :)
    I'm going to buy the shader bundle. Those are ultra cool! Prices have definitely gone up on products, but that bundle price with the 30% is decent for what you get. Won't be playing with it anytime soon as I am determined not to get sidetracked. I am going through the 73 pages of "Places and Things" and writing down what I have. So many sets, I need to get organized. It helps curb spending when I see what I already have!

edited May 2015

This is a Super Shader. It said SS1 ST Textures Sci Fi.

If you want a multi-zone shirt, try City Chic :)
    This is Izarra. I wasn't focusing on the lighting of the character, just trying to feature the shirt. The shaders are really fun, be sure you have the Surface tool selected first. I was "DUH" and wondering why the shaders weren't working. (Been awhile since I did a shader.)

EDIT: This is tiling of 12. For those of you new to shaders, these are the sets to get so far as ease of use. The vendor has it Step 1, 2, 3, 4 so you go bada-bing-bada-boom, done.

izarraSuperShadersCityChic.jpg
    759 x 888 - 516K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

that's looking good! I was tempted on those shaders, but wanted to see them in "action" so to speak before buying, as I was unfamiliar with the vendor and unsure of their work.

This discussion has been closed.