Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

What is the benefit of not being allowed to paste the serial into Carrara? Does that protect the program or the user in some way?

Nope, jut poor coding:)

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

works on osx for me, but on windows even shift-ins doesn't work.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

ctrl-c ctrl-v Holly
    LOL I know how to use the copy/paste feature, it's Carrara that doesn't cooperate.

Weird, doesn't work on my osX. Hmmm.
    Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

ctrl-c ctrl-v Holly
    LOL I know how to use the copy/paste feature, it's Carrara that doesn't cooperate.

Maybe my memory is faulty -- but my recollection from switching Win -> OS X was that pasting worked. A little hard to verify until the current expires... For Windows users, the shift-ins sometimes works when ctrl-v doesn't. Just not with Carrara.

I suspect it is an oversight. Historically, key codes were provided on hard copy with a product so being able to paste in was of no use. What with the prevalence of online distribution, though, it presents an annoyance.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited March 2013

ctrl-c ctrl-v Holly

The trick to pasting the serial code in the Mac OS version is to first launch Carrara, then without quitting, switch back to the Mac OS finder and copy the serial code. Then switch back to Carrara and Command-v paste it in.

Post edited by de3an on
    edited December 1969

ctrl-c ctrl-v Holly

I've had so many crashes of late (and hence restarts) I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize that today was the day. So the latest crash (beware the sequencer with physics calculations!) resulted in my having an expired key. Sure enough, my memory was good and I was able to paste the key in.

IIRC you are on the same version of OS X as myself (10.8.2) so I'm really not sure what the difference would be. Conversely, when it expired on "windows" (full disclosure, I don't have Windows at all anymore, so any use by me on "windows" is now actually in Wine on linux) pasting (even with shift-ins) doesn't work. But I gather from Wendy's response that she can paste the key in on windows? (She refers to ctrl-c/v instead of cmd-c/v.)

I can't see why it'd make any difference, but I have a variety of developer tools installed -- including Qt (which Carrara apparently uses though you can't tell by the interface).

Unrelated, but aging cats have it bad. Mine can't jump into my lap anymore and often only succeeds in clawing me. Which elicits a cry of pain so he runs off in fear when all he wanted was some loving. If I notice I'll pick him up to avoid the issue, but sometimes I'm distracted.

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    ctrl-c ctrl-v Holly

The trick to pasting the serial code in the Mac OS version is to first launch Carrara, then without quitting, switch back to the Mac OS finder and copy the serial code. Then switch back to Carrara and Command-v paste it in.

Without intended, that's effectively what I've been doing. I launch, get the "enter code" so I switch to Safari, copy it and switch back. Interesting. If there's a difference between opening the dialog and switching focus to it, someone needs to look at the code. That should be pretty trivial.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,792
    edited December 1969

yes I use Windows and it works but not right click copy/paste
    My Felix too fat to jump on lap so claws me too but does not take a cry of pain as NO, instead continues to find more painful awkward ways to achieve his goal, even though nursing a fat cat on lap whilst on computer not desired.

edited December 1969

If there's a difference between opening the dialog and switching focus to it, someone needs to look at the code. That should be pretty trivial.

It definitely won't insert if you load the clipboard, then open Carrara and try to paste. But by switching to the finder, then back to Carrara, pasting works fine.

I think it's always been this way. I've just learned to live with it.

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    If there's a difference between opening the dialog and switching focus to it, someone needs to look at the code. That should be pretty trivial.

It definitely won't insert if you load the clipboard, then open Carrara and try to paste. But by switching to the finder, then back to Carrara, pasting works fine.

Then maybe they are clearing the clipboard on load? That's wrong as well, though I can understand how that kind of thing can happen when init'ing everything on startup.

edited December 1969

yes I use Windows and it works but not right click copy/paste
    My Felix too fat to jump on lap so claws me too but does not take a cry of pain as NO, instead continues to find more painful awkward ways to achieve his goal, even though nursing a fat cat on lap whilst on computer not desired.

Heh. Ytharl puts the 'scared' into 'scaredy cat' -- not helped one bit by young children.

As to Windows -- yeah, right-click is another trick. There's an app I use that doesn't use keyboard short cuts, but makes you use right click. Also annoying. But I really do remember cut/paste not working on Windows (not just via Wine). Perhaps its like de3an says for Windows as well? Dunno.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

@Wendy and bigh: thanks! I guess it's the usual: one figure works flawlessly, more than one not so much. I think there are bugs like that in DS too (in fact they might quite possibly originate from there :-S), I should hunt them down someday.

edited December 1969

de3an said:

Then maybe they are clearing the clipboard on load? That's wrong as well, though I can understand how that kind of thing can happen when init'ing everything on startup.

Actually, you can load the serial # to the clipboard, then open Carrara (don't bother to paste, it won't work), toggle to the finder and back to Carrara, now it will paste.

So just toggling the focus allows the paste to occur.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,193
    edited December 1969

The most I prefer to do in Carrara from D|S is to bring new morphs into figures, etc., and then just export as a CR2, which has worked flawlessly for me every time (Using the DS > Hex > DS bridge to add morphs that are saved correctly to the figure), never expecting to bring a single shader with it, beyond having the texture maps, but whatever - because I do all of that work in Carrara to much better effect. Then just load it into Carrara like any other runtime content. I actually even export the figure (CR2) to the proper runtime location where I'd be most likely to find it. So for figure that I save in this fashion, I use the runtime folder within Carrara.

Aside from stuff like that, I think you'll quickly agree that scenes, prop set up, posing, animating, shader work, etc., is not only better in Carrara, but it's much more simple and fun. Very enjoyable experience!

Ahhh, mentioning animations struck another point that I had originally missed mention of:
    aniMate 2 just rocks! I do like using aniMate to blend various aniBlocks together and save out new blocks from it. This, I believe, is only possible if you own one of the purchased versions of aniMate. Both the older, and 2 are really great. Most timeline key framing work I'll do in Carrara, as I find characters much easier to manipulate within Carrara with its wonderful sequencer and manipulation tools. But the tweaks that we have the power to perform using aniMate 2 are not to be underestimated either, making me believe that the new GoFigure D|S animation timeline tools (which make D|S look a lot like Carrara's sequencer) are likely very good. But I have Carrara, so it's likely that I'll never find out.

Once I'm done working on my figure morphs or aniBlocks, I'm done working in D|S and back in Carrara, where I spend most of my 3d time period. You'll see what I mean as you get going in it! ;)

When it comes to Genesis, I like to build my creations right within Carrara for that as well. Since Carrara does not yet have UV swapping, I just load in the appropriate character file for the UV mapping that I want. For example: I want to use a specific V5 texture set, even though I'll likely end up shaping her different. I still begin with either one of the V5 character presets, unless the texture set I want came with one - I may opt to load her instead. I start nearly all people shaders from my own modified version of the easy to apply, individual shaders that come in Indigone's Free V4 Skin Shader Kit and Lights. Even though it says V4, the shaders themselves are not biased to sex or shape, but rather an excellent set of shader setting for each shader domain - no matter whom you intend to make. Once you follow through her tutorial at least once, you'll know exactly which channels get which texture map from the collection you intend to use. And the shaders even look great without adding texture maps! They take advantage of subsurface scattering and excellent specular results with or without maps. Very good kit.

Once the Genesis character is finished, save it off to the browser fro future use within Carrara without having to repeat the steps.

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited March 2013

Nor for me. In any of the above suggested permutations; I have to type it in.

Post edited by CarltonMartin on
  • Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177
    edited December 1969

I have been trying to open/import a Carrara file (12.2 MB) that was made in Carrara 8.1 Pro (Build 153) into Carrara 8.5 Pro (Build 173) Beta when it get to 65% done loading an error comes up. I'm not sure what to do.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) with 32 GB of Ram.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Turk_WLF said:
    I have been trying to open/import a Carrara file (12.2 MB) that was made in Carrara 8.1 Pro (Build 153) into Carrara 8.5 Pro (Build 173) Beta when it get to 65% done loading an error comes up. I'm not sure what to do.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) with 32 GB of Ram.

The basics:
    does the scene use any plugins, specifically Assembly Room plugins?
    If so, have you tested the plugin in 8.5 yet?

Can you open it in 8.1?
    If so, try dragging the contents to the Browser, then connecting that folder in 8.5's Browser.

...um... that's all I can think of at the moment...

Once you get it open watch out for all the imagemap textures being changed to Fast MipMap in 8.5, it will cause backwards compatibility issues when you go back to 8.1....

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

if by chance it won't open in 8.1, and you have saved it as a compressede file try thois - make a copy of it, rename the suffix to "zip" and unzip it, then rename the suffix to "car" again. That hint courtesy of Fenrick/

• evilkooladeevilkoolade Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

everytime i try to load ascene from daz studio 4.5 pro i get a nil point error

• Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177
    edited March 2013

The basics:
    does the scene use any plugins, specifically Assembly Room plugins?
    If so, have you tested the plugin in 8.5 yet?

Can you open it in 8.1?
    If so, try dragging the contents to the Browser, then connecting that folder in 8.5's Browser.

...um... that's all I can think of at the moment...

Once you get it open watch out for all the imagemap textures being changed to Fast MipMap in 8.5, it will cause backwards compatibility issues when you go back to 8.1....

Does the scene use any plugins, specifically Assembly Room plugins? Not that I can remember.
    If so, have you tested the plugin in 8.5 yet? Not at this time

Can you open it in 8.1? I can load it into 8.1 with no problems at all.

Since it's been a while that I made the shaders and the model itself, therefore I decided to to piece the model in section by section since the design is a modular. I hope this way I can find if I used any plug-ins that I forgot about.

Post edited by Turk_WLF on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,193
    edited December 1969

everytime i try to load ascene from daz studio 4.5 pro i get a nil point error
    You cannot open Daz Studio Scene Files directly in anything but Daz Studio. Likewise you cannot open Carrara files in anything but Carrara.
    Have a look here:
    Working with Content
    With Carrara 8.5 beta, this software is getting much closer to true compatibility
    with Daz Studio. This article attempts to illustrate what can and cannot be taken back and fourth.
    It also covers some of the basic techniques required to get the most out of any Poser/DS content
    within Carrara.

These may also interest you:
    Carrara Walkthrough
    Join Carrara enthusiast, Dartanbeck, for a stroll through some of the basic concepts
    that all Carraraists should get to know early on in their experience to help for a smooth working experience.

Genesis - Carrara 8.5beta - DIM Support Thread Links
    Got questions about Genesis use in Carrara, DIM use for installing?
    This page lists links to threads that have answered many questions to common problems

Carrara and related 3d Art Tutorials

Carrara 8.5 Beta and Genesis

Carrara Cafe Visit Carrara Cafe Direct! Download Carrara 3D Expo Magazines Direct!

• dassoubarnadassoubarna Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Could any one here please tell me from where I can download the latest beta version of the Cararra?

edited December 1969

Could any one here please tell me from where I can download the latest beta version of the Cararra?

If you have purchased Carrara 8.1, then the Carrara 8.5 Beta should be available for you to download from your DAZ account page.

If it is not showing in your "My Downloadable Products" list, then look for it in your "Itemized Order History" list and click "Reset".

It should then re-appear in your Downloadable Products list.

You may or may not get the latest version. Some people are getting version 8.5.0.172, while others seem to be getting version 8.5.0.132.

The serial number can be found in the first post of this thread.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969
  • rk66rk66 Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    I look under Product Library in my account and I see this:

Carrara 8.5 Beta > Carrara 8.5.0.204

rk.

85_beta.jpg
    712 x 827 - 131K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

rk66 said:
    Hi,
    I look under Product Library in my account and I see this:

Carrara 8.5 Beta > Carrara 8.5.0.204

rk.

did you try it yet ?

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads up, rk. We've been waiting a long time.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited April 2013

The new version works with the existing beta serial number.

Installed latest version of Genesis Starter Essentials and Michael 5. M5 shape seems fine now but genital UVs are still borked when the bits are Fitted To the figure. Also Carrara crashed when I closed it.

Post edited by araneldon on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

After the big announcement about the big announcement they snuck it in unannounced:) Thank you Daz, anyhow.

Now to go see whether they fixed the big issue with importing Optitex sims - holding thumbs.

This discussion has been closed.