Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download

Comments

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Spook, the mere fact you've surfaced tells us something is probably imminent. C'mon, can you at least tell us WHEN we get this news?

• WadeWattsWadeWatts Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DazSpooky!!!

Glad to see you man! Welcome! Welcome! Exciting news... Keep it real brother. Your style is welcome on these forums indeed!

Go Daz3D and Go Carrara !!! Woooohoooo!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,236
    edited December 1969

Dell said:
    DazSpooky!!!

Glad to see you man! Welcome! Welcome! Exciting news... Keep it real brother. Your style is welcome on these forums indeed!

Go Daz3D and Go Carrara !!! Woooohoooo!

Great seeing you again, too, Dell! You were quite instrumental in getting me into Carrara, with your helpful advice and welcoming attitude. Welcome back and thanks for everything!
  • Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 575
    edited December 1969

Did I miss a Carrara announcement somewhere? Has Carrara 8.5 moved out of beta?

edited December 1969

Nope. Still waiting.
    Patiently :coolhmm:

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

At Carrara Café they announced that "Carrara 8.5 to be released end of summer 2013, Carrara 9 in Q1 2014". Gives them some margin for error....

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

SmallFry said:
    Did I miss a Carrara announcement somewhere? Has Carrara 8.5 moved out of beta?

HI Smallfry :)

You probably did miss the announcement,... it was made first over at Carrara Cafe.

in brief,. Daz have said that Carrara 8.5 is due to be released this summer,. and Carrara development will continue on C9.

So,. currently C8.5 is still in beta,. and Carrara 8 is part of the March Madness.

:)

edited December 1969

Nope. Still waiting.
    Sorry. This should have read:
    Yup. Still waiting.
  • susibikersusibiker Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

Here's a couple of questions for those with experience...

I want to buy Carrara 8 Pro now, but I am worried that I'll have to pay the full amount again when 8.5 finally comes out.

1. Is it usual to have a "Grace Period" or a reduced upgrade fee for upgrades?

My memory is not so good these days, but wasn't Bryce and DAZ3D more expensive in the before-times?

2. So, is it likely that Carrara will get cheaper, or am I just being hopeful (and dumb)?

Thanks,
    Susi xx

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

susibiker said:
    Here's a couple of questions for those with experience...

I want to buy Carrara 8 Pro now, but I am worried that I'll have to pay the full amount again when 8.5 finally comes out.

1. Is it usual to have a "Grace Period" or a reduced upgrade fee for upgrades?

My memory is not so good these days, but wasn't Bryce and DAZ3D more expensive in the before-times?

2. So, is it likely that Carrara will get cheaper, or am I just being hopeful (and dumb)?

Thanks,
    Susi xx

1 - they said it would be cheap for the update 8.5 release ( something like $20 ) .
    yes they were !
    2 - who know - if you want to wait for a year then maybe .

edited December 1969

Thanks bigh.
    Very helpful.

I need to get stuff done, so I'll go cough up the cash right now.

(That makes them nothing like Adobe then - You buy something, then they bring out the new version a week later, and you get to pay a huge update fee. No "Grace Period." Cute. That's why I avoid Adobe products now.)

• edited December 1969

Since we haven't had a new version of Carrara in some time and I keep having to visit the forums to get the next unlock for build 172, could someone please make it so the beta can use our regular serial numbers? Just so we don't have to keep entering a new one every month or so?

thanks,
    Boojum

edited December 1969

After struggling to get Carrara 8 installed on Win7x64 (the default install was into the 32bit instead of the 64bit directory) and getting no menus or content...

...I'd like to install 8.5, but it seems like wasted effort if the current serial dies tomorrow (21st March).

Does anyone know what the plan for a new serial release is?
    What's the usual pattern of serial code dissemination?

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I believe the new serial number will beA posted to the beginning of this thread sometime tomorrow. Just keep checking is all I know.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    I believe the new serial number will beA posted to the beginning of this thread sometime tomorrow. Just keep checking is all I know.
    Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering if it was one of those things where the beta just finishes and you have to wait for the RC or Final versions.
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

See PhilW's post above regarding the last announcement we had about 8.;5 and 9. We definitely were not expecting that announcement to be made over at Carrara Cafe.

edited March 2013

Thanks.
    I am one of the folks that has bought C8.1 as part of the "March Madness".
    I worked out about ten minutes ago that since I downloaded Studio4.5 (about 8 days ago), I have spent over $500 on DAZ3D-related programs, content, and goodies. I stopped counting when it got to $517 - too scary!
    I decided that AutoDesk and Adobe stuff was just ridiculously priced so I chose DAZ3D.

Apart from major hassles trying to get the programs and content to go into the right folders, I'm pretty impressed so far.
    Really looking forward to C8.5 now.

I just wish they'd fix all the broken links on the website. It really cramps your style as a novice to find that links to tutorials, and guides are long since dead. ;)

Post edited by susibiker on
    edited December 1969

Don't worry too much. It's a temporary thing as they take up residence in this new site.
    I have a pile of resources linked and some written in the Carrara Information Manual forum thread to help fill the void. And you'll also find a really friendly lot, here at the Carrara forums to help when you get stuck - happens to us all from time to time.

Welcome to Carrara, the finest 3d animation app in the multiverse! ;)
    Dartanbeck

edited March 2013

Hi Dartanbeck.

'Scuse my ignorance as until a couple of weeks ago I had only ever used Bryce5, and that was last used some time ago. I didn't realise that this was a new site.
    I hope this focus on a new site is a big positive step for the future. In the past I used to use Caligari, but that had an untimely death. Other 3D systems are ridiculously priced.
    I'm really hoping that I've found a new suite of programs to focus on.

Many thanks for the link too.

Post edited by susibiker on
    edited December 1969

I believe you'll be happy here, in your new suite of sweet tools! I use D|S bridge to Hexagon and back to Daz|Studio on occassion, but Carrara is where I live. But this wasn't really a planned thing, it just turned out that Carrara has levels of fun and grand creative results that far exceed and game or app I've ever used on a computer, period. I love it. And you will too.

About a year ago, I think? Daz3d switched from their very first site, which they built themselves, into this new, more robust and secure service. They still have a lot of work to put into it - and they've actually made it much better than it was since it went live. I really wish that those tutorials and all the pictures in the old forums wouldn't have disappeared though :(

But, yeah... come on in and kick off yer shoes. Have some fun and post up some renders in the "Post your Renders" thread, or just have a look at what others are doing in there (we're usually having as much fun gabbing as we do posting our latest stuff! lol). There's some really good tips in that thread that a lot of people don't realize. Also, wait till you see some of Cripeman's Videos... he's just awesome (and generous to make all of that great info)!

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

New Serial Number added. CDZCPRO-085-0031103-AEM-001-EBTQTTT (Expires 21 April 2013). Yes, I am working on getting you a new build. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,890
    edited December 1969

thank you Spooky

edited December 1969

New Serial Number added. CDZCPRO-085-0031103-AEM-001-EBTQTTT (Expires 21 April 2013). Yes, I am working on getting you a new build. :)
    You're always workin' on sumthin'...
    What a busy ghost! Thanks Spooky. I need a new version to play around with. ;)
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Hi all!
    I was wondering how the duf file format is performing for Carrarists? Any snags, gotchas, whathaveyous? I'm especially interested in going from DS to Carrara.
    Thanks!

edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    Hi all!
    I was wondering how the duf file format is performing for Carrarists? Any snags, gotchas, whathaveyous? I'm especially interested in going from DS to Carrara.
    Thanks!

works great !

edited December 1969

for some
    often, not always for me
    not at all for others

• edited December 1969

Hey eveyone! I think the current serial code has expired... I am not able to run version 8.5... 8.1 runs normally, but I am not able to use genisis figures on this build. To the administrators of Carrara, Please help!

edited December 1969

Hey eveyone! I think the current serial code has expired... I am not able to run version 8.5... 8.1 runs normally, but I am not able to use genisis figures on this build. To the administrators of Carrara, Please help!

the new SN is on this page and page 1 .

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What is the benefit of not being allowed to paste the serial into Carrara? Does that protect the program or the user in some way?

edited December 1969

ctrl-c ctrl-v Holly

This discussion has been closed.