Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,248
    edited December 1969

LOFL!!!

• YofielYofiel Posts: 204
    edited December 1969

Agreed, Mr. Dart. Nice week for you )

I find the 8.5.x.172 is still in my cart for Windows. It appears the Mac version rolled back to 8.5..132 or thereabouts, but not the Windows build.

That's a relief for me, because I thought the .172 release was much better on Windows.

And, I discovered reasons why I get the same 'Error' popping up which prevents saving of files in 8.1 as well as 8.5. I started intuitively avoiding the problems and I couldn't state exactly what they were at the moment. So I guess Im no good as a beta tester any more. Intuition took over.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

emeyer said:
    It appears the Mac version rolled back to 8.5..132 or thereabouts, but not the Windows build.

That's a relief for me, because I thought the .172 release was much better on Windows.

That's a bit disheartening -- I realize some folks on this list running OS X lost spot render with build 172, but not all (I never experienced the problem), and there were important fixes/improvements from 132 to 172.

edited February 2013

I just got the build 132 from resetting my Carrara 8 pro download. But there's still an 8.5 beta in the list that I didn't download.
    I just reset so I could easily get it on this laptop without crossing hard drives. I stow away every build I get - just in case.
    I still have Daz Studio from the beta prior to version 1.0! ;)

I went back to 132, though. There were too many times when 172 just refused to save.

Edit...
    I figured, what the heck... I went back in and reset the downloads for Carrara 8.5 beta and got builds 172 for Win and Mac and for Mimic Pro 32 and 64 across the board!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Doesn't bother me that my downloads page is all filled full now again, because that new Daz Install Manager totally R O C K S ! ! !

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,924
    edited December 1969

149 here

retried 172 last month, uninstalled and reinstalled 149 within an hour of endless Genesis error headaches
    I avoid the smart content tab like the plague btw,
    I import EVERY .duf file via file tab and they load onto and autofit to my also imported Genesis fine!
    textures, characters, clothes, poses, everything.
    Always had issues with the content browser and Genesis.

edited December 1969

I just got the build 132 from resetting my Carrara 8 pro download. But there's still an 8.5 beta in the list that I didn't download.
    I just reset so I could easily get it on this laptop without crossing hard drives. I stow away every build I get - just in case.
    I still have Daz Studio from the beta prior to version 1.0! ;)

I went back to 132, though. There were too many times when 172 just refused to save.

I remember having save failures on Windows (don't remember what versions). Carrara 8.5-172 on OS X has been very reliable for me in that regard. I've recently had a spate of hangs where the Carrara interface is unresponsive, but the process is fine and consuming minimal resources. Those are certainly annoying and end up with unsaved work being lost, but it appears to be more the scene than anything else (the one where rendering causes a crash -- some interplay between Inagoni's volumetric primitives and one or more other things in the scene -- I thought I'd narrowed it down, but the minimal case failed to reproduce :down:)

edited December 1969

149 here

retried 172 last month, uninstalled and reinstalled 149 within an hour of endless Genesis error headaches
    I avoid the smart content tab like the plague btw,
    I import EVERY .duf file via file tab and they load onto and autofit to my also imported Genesis fine!
    textures, characters, clothes, poses, everything.
    Always had issues with the content browser and Genesis.

Yeah, the smart content sounds really great until you experience the implementation. I'm not sure its any better in DS -- I really don't use DS, but I have fired it up to test products that didn't work in C8.5 and even there I've had to work out how to browse and load the files directly. None of the smart content ever displays.

Sometimes I use genesis, but it is buggy enough (or products that C8.5 can't handle) that I still mostly use the gen4 figures.

edited December 1969

Yeah... 172 was stable as can be for the longest time. I loved it.
    Maybe something was going on with Windows? I might just try it again. 172 was definitely my fave.

edited December 1969

Yeah... 172 was stable as can be for the longest time. I loved it.
    Maybe something was going on with Windows? I might just try it again. 172 was definitely my fave.

I just thought of something else: I know that a lot (if not all) of the errors while saving that I saw were due to low resources. Sometimes I was able to recover and save the file anyway by closing shader windows, for example. For me it was a problem due to 32-bit WinXP and only 3.5GB RAM.

edited February 2013

That certainly was not the case for me. I was losing some rather basic scenes on my eight core 3.1GHz each, being fed 16 GB RAM.
    Strange how it just suddenly started happening though. Perhaps a strange Win Update that upset a running Carrara? Hnmpf!
    My lil' core2duo lappy with 4GB ram ran Carrara 8 pretty smoothly before - we'll see how it goes this time around.

edited February 2013

FYI,
    I just had some write errors upon installing build 172. By the end, it said that it was unable to create an uninstaller.
    I downloaded the file again and, although the file size looked the same and everything, it installed without a hitch this time. Just so you know. That probably goes for any build of anything for that matter.
    Just sayin' :-P

DR-Poster-Defend-2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 166K
    DR_Pano_ND.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 580K
    edited December 1969

FYI,
    I just had some write errors upon installing build 172. By the end, it said that it was unable to create an uninstaller.
    I downloaded the file again and, although the file size looked the same and everything, it installed without a hitch this time. Just so you know. That probably goes for any build of anything for that matter.
    Just sayin' :-P

File size doesn't mean that much, checking the hash does. But Daz doesn't provide those...

Those renders look good!

edited December 1969

Thanks. Those were done in build 132 - but that doesn't matter... Carrara is just the Cat's Meow Render Tool! Gotta Love Love Carrara!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited February 2013

New serial code first page !

edit - do not use strong - just whats after

Post edited by bigh on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,924
    edited December 1969

lol! you did?
    ctrl c ctrl v is my friend here too as right click copy/paste does not work.

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited February 2013

Kodiak3D said:
    Once again, new serial #, no new info. Let me look into the crystal ball...

...I can see the future...
    ...it's February 21, 2013...
    ...I see A NEW SERIAL NUMBER!

...and nothing else.

Darn, missed it by 2 days.

Post edited by Kodiak3d on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:
    Kodiak3D said:

...and nothing else.

Darn, missed it by 2 days.LOL. Well as has already been posted in these forums, news will be forthcoming this month, we still have a few days. :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:
    Kodiak3D said:

...and nothing else.

LOL. Well as has already been posted in these forums, news will be forthcoming this month, we still have a few days. :)

But it's nine days! NINE! :ahhh:

edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:
    Kodiak3D said:

...and nothing else.

LOL. Well as has already been posted in these forums, news will be forthcoming this month, we still have a few days. :)

:roll: :lol:

edited December 1969

But it's nine days! NINE! :ahhh:LOL. Would you have preferred it if I allowed the Serial number to expire until the news was posted? LOL!

edited December 1969

LOL. Would you have preferred it if I allowed the Serial number to expire until the news was posted? LOL!

you wouldn't do that would you :vampire:

edited December 1969

bigh said:

LOL. Would you have preferred it if I allowed the Serial number to expire until the news was posted? LOL!

you wouldn't do that would you :vampire:Too late this time, maybe next time. :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

you wouldn't do that would you :vampire:Too late this time, maybe next time. :)

So we can infer from Spooky's remark that the beta will continue...... THAT must be the announcement!!!!! Pardon me while I go start a thread.... ;-)

edited December 1969

So we can infer from Spooky's remark that the beta will continue...... THAT must be the announcement!!!!! Pardon me while I go start a thread.... ;-)

Well, I also picked up the new Millennium Cow primitive, Flowing Fluids primitive, GPU optimizations (where applicable), and the new Daz Studio > Carrara Bridge in there too... Don't forget to post those, too!
    edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:
    Kodiak3D said:

...and nothing else.

Spook...that's not fair! You're tugging at our heartstrings here! DAZ already forgot us on Valentine's Day. Now're you're just teasing us.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Why does what day the announcement is made make a difference? Is it date or time sensitive? Is the announcement dependent on something else coming out that date? Could it be because you want to make the announcement as close to the end of the quarter as possible? Or is it just another way to put people off and keep them anticipating something, when it really amounts to nothing?

Sorry, been with DAZ too long to buy any DAZ hype of anything. And making an announcement about an upcoming announcement is pure hype.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Friday afternoon; last employee leaving the DAZ office posts the announcement and runs.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Friday afternoon; last employee leaving the DAZ office posts the announcement and runs.

They did that when Carrara 7 was released (or was it 6?). Came back on Monday to a forum of several irate people due to bugs and other issues.

edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:
    AtticAnne said:

They did that when Carrara 7 was released (or was it 6?). Came back on Monday to a forum of several irate people due to bugs and other issues. Bryce 6, V4 and a DS build, in the space of less than a month. We haven't done that since. :)

This discussion has been closed.