Genesis: The Early Years

124»

Comments

• luci45 said:

Mustakettu85, some nice renders with beautiful skin tones~

Thank you!

Sven Dullah said:

These are very nice indeed! Made me curious though...did you use the 3DL pathtracer already in 2015 or are they REYES renders? I can see a mentioning of using OmUberSurface2, so leaning towards the latter? Well done in any event:) When I view my own renders from that period my eyes start bleeding.

Thank you!

I started using the scripted renderer to get to the fully fledged raytrace hider in 2014 already (no-one else seemed to bother; most people used to be as dismissive of "3Delight capabilities" aka vanilla DS shaders as they are now, it's just that they worshipped Poser instead of Iray - and I was, like, "you say it can't be done in DS? I'll prove y'all wrong"). But initially, not as a 100% pathtracer; simply with the raytracing lights available. My shader system began with surfaces, specifically with skin. And then my first light shader was a GI envlight. Basically I was dealing away with the limitations inherent to the Uber line, step by step.

That V6 portrait used US2 for hair because I hadn't finished my "fabric" (transparency, translucency etc) shader yet at that time.

Taking shading matters in my own hands was actually a quantum leap in quality, in my case. There are older renders in my gallery here, purely Uber, and... ummmm yeah. 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

Yes it is, we had quite a few female fights around here but sence the Covid-19 scared no one wants to even be near anyone else around here.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Saphirewild said:

Yes it is, we had quite a few female fights around here but sence the Covid-19 scared no one wants to even be near anyone else around here.

The only good thing about the pandemic? smiley

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Oh wow. Let's hope people are going to learn to live in peace!!
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,697
    edited March 2021

Here are two "piratesses" exchanging gossip. I used Raw Dwarfology morphs and some G3F textures using Genesis 3 UVs for Genesis.

dwarf piratesses.jpg
    1800 x 1439 - 540K
    Post edited by luci45 on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

Mustakettu85 said:

Saphirewild said:

Oh wow. Let's hope people are going to learn to live in peace!!
    I do hope so as well I hate violence, I always told my hubby that it would take something so terrible to get everyone to stop fighting!

luci45 said:

Here are two "piratesses" exchanging gossip. I used Raw Dwarfology morphs and some G3F textures using Genesis 3 UVs for Genesis.

Very cool characters! Well done:)

Thanks. smiley

edited March 2021

I bought Cyberpunk HDRI last week. I created some Bladerunner-inspired Genesis and G2 characters a few years back and I thought they would fit. There are V4 textures and a hair. 

cyberscene.jpg
    1800 x 1350 - 805K
    Post edited by luci45 on

luci45 said:

I bought Cyberpunk HDRI last week. I created some Bladerunner-inspired Genesis and G2 characters a few years back and I thought they would fit. There are V4 textures and a hair. 

I somehow missed this one, nice! 

Here's a re-post from my awe thread...nothing spectacular, just testing some G3F morphs, hair and skin on G1. The tunic is a freebie, remade the texturing.

Sven Dullah said:

luci45 said:

I somehow missed this one, nice! 

Here's a re-post from my awe thread...nothing spectacular, just testing some G3F morphs, hair and skin on G1. The tunic is a freebie, remade the texturing.

Looks good! She even has eyebrows. 

I haven't posted recently because I've been enjoying the RRRRR - Coming Late Excuses - Render Contest! It's a lot of fun if you want to join in.

Stephanie 5 with original textures, Fisty's Snood Hair, some B25 dress...and a lime:)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956
    edited April 2021

JOdel said:

Here's another set of G1 characters. They've been run through an analog art filter for a more "painterly look". The Hogwarts faculty and staff.

http://www.redhen-publications.com/faculty.html

Your Wizard of Oz book with Eureka was very nicely illustrated.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,267

The 'Eureka in Oz' project used original line art of John R. Neil's. So no 3D figures at all in that one. Just Photoshop. Quite a lot of Neill's work is public domain, and I was careful to use only those. I did do a number of modifications on quite a few of the illos though.

The  later project of 'The Magic Carpet of Oz' was done in 3D though. Originally using DS3A and gen4, and later I re-did it in DS4 using Genesis1.

• katfeetekatfeete Posts: 250
    edited May 2022

*dusts off thread* 

I've been too busy lately, but on and off trying to educate myself on dForce, and in particular figuring out how to use dForce on all my old Genesis 1 wardrobes. This is a test run using the dForce Master settings on some of Wilmap's wonderful freebie clothes. Not perfect, still learning the ins and outs, but wow, so much potential!

The Moirai

Moirai.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 2M
    Post edited by katfeete on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited May 2022

Genesis 1 and 2 remain a fantastic pair of standards to make good stuff with. I've finally moved on from them, but I highly recommend budget-concious artists give them a go.  There is a ton of amazing content for them, especially if you love making stylized characters.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • katfeetekatfeete Posts: 250

vrba79 said:

Genesis 1 and 2 remain a fantastic pair of standards to make good stuff with. I've finally moved on from them, but I highly recommend budget-concious artists give them a go.  There is a ton of amazing content for them, especially if you love making stylized characters.

Especially with all the great G1 content showing up in the Vault sales for a buck or two. :D

As I mostly use Daz for making my comic and the newer versions of Genesis don't add forms of realism I'm interested in, I've accepted that I'll be stuck in the past forever at this point, which for the most part is fine -- the original Genesis does everything I need. dForce, though, dForce is a game-changer. My learning curve is slow but I am really excited to turn dynamics loose on my G1 clothing library!

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited May 2022

The Genesis 1 products I've used the most over the years:

A3 and H3 Shapes for Genesis

Gen 4 Iconic Shapes for Genesis

Aiko 5

Hiro 5

Hitomi

Genesis Creature Creator Bundle

I could do a near limitless supply of anime-style characters with all that.

Then you've got all the clones for clothing and hair swapping. Some things played with Gensis 1 better than others.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited August 2022

...a couple of fresh G1 renders...yeah @katfeete and @vrba79, I hear you, and nice renders:) 

Post edited by Sven Dullah on