Genesis: The Early Years

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,115

Sven Dullah said:

G1 is the most versatile and cost effective base character ever. (Probably why it had such a short lifespan, bad for business).

It had a short lifespan because creating clothing for G1 was difficult due to the fact that it had to be made for the androgynous base and still look good with the male and female morphs. The chest area was especially problematic.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Leana said:

Sven Dullah said:

G1 is the most versatile and cost effective base character ever. (Probably why it had such a short lifespan, bad for business).

It had a short lifespan because creating clothing for G1 was difficult due to the fact that it had to be made for the androgynous base and still look good with the male and female morphs. The chest area was especially problematic.

Yeah, so they say.

edited January 2021

Here's a fresh render of Stalker Girl trying out some G2F clothing. Using the original textures and shape (and hair), except I remade her lips because I don't like the original shape much;)

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Is that 3DL or Iray? I've seen some VERY good 3DL stuff that rivals Iray's photorealism lately.

vrba79 said:

Is that 3DL or Iray? I've seen some VERY good 3DL stuff that rivals Iray's photorealism lately.

It's the good old 3DL:) Probably made a handful of IRay testrenders since the introduction back in 2015.

edited January 2021

That's a rending engine that requires so much effort to get results that I cannot do a hell of a lot with. Its so geard towards hyper realism that even the NPR stuff that's made for it requires a LOT of work to get going. That's why I hope 3DL isn't going away anytime soon. Its so versitile.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited January 2021

When I look at my works, I can only see all the mistakes, so I would very much like to apologise for how crappy it all is. But it's a G1 character :) One of my pathetic attempts to take part in a competition here several years ago.

...and of course it's rendered in 3Delight, but with extra steps (EXR -> tonemapping).

Genesis_Attachment.png
    1167 x 1800 - 4M
    Post edited by Mustakettu85 on

And this is from 2017; one of the last things I rendered "for myself". This time we're dealing with a basic low-range render straight from DS, also it's not artistic lighting but neutral lookdev lights, so it looks as blah as possible. Again, sorry.

The character is supposed to be Geralt of Rivia, the book!canon version. Yeah, those days I thought the CDPR game interpretation was a heresy... little did I know what was to come.

I was actually thinking of rebuilding it on the G8 base, but I'm not sure any sort of book!canon fan art is worth bothering with any more. 

wiedz_25.png
    512 x 896 - 643K

The final one is a G2F, one of the DAZ base characters I think. I was using her to test my shaders. So it's also a boring render, lookdev lighting and all.

gaus2x2_8m27s.png
    742 x 1200 - 672K

@Mustakettu85

I remember the first one very well:) She definitely does not look like an "out of the box" character, very cool;) I also remember admiring the specular highlights on the floor and furniture, roughnessmaps I assume, and displacement, or is it normal maps?

What? You're not rendering anymore? That would be a shame indeed. I've been thinking of finally testing your great looking shaders, so be awarelaugh, any year now! The skin on the last one you posted looks very nice. GGX BRDF?

Sven Dullah said:

@Mustakettu85

I remember the first one very well:) She definitely does not look like an "out of the box" character, very cool;) I also remember admiring the specular highlights on the floor and furniture, roughnessmaps I assume, and displacement, or is it normal maps?

What? You're not rendering anymore? That would be a shame indeed. I've been thinking of finally testing your great looking shaders, so be awarelaugh, any year now! The skin on the last one you posted looks very nice. GGX BRDF?

Hey thanks :) That's technically supposed to be a "he", like, XY, but since non-humans in my imagination aren't burdened by this whole gender thing, I guess we need a "non-binary" pronoun. Like "them".

I think it was displacement only, base highlight to sim "actual" wood + coat with highlights to sim the varnish. Don't think I used variable roughness. It wouldn't make much sense in this scenario...

If you ever decide to try out my stuff for real, would you please let me know in advance so that I could sync everything properly?

My skin shader uses GGX for area lights but Cook-Torrance for glossy reflection. Wowie and me, we follow very different philosophies and methodologies :)

Mustakettu85 said:

Sven Dullah said:

@Mustakettu85

Hey thanks :) That's technically supposed to be a "he", like, XY, but since non-humans in my imagination aren't burdened by this whole gender thing, I guess we need a "non-binary" pronoun. Like "them".

Hehe, yeah...the strengths of G1:)) One thing I love about them!

I think it was displacement only, base highlight to sim "actual" wood + coat with highlights to sim the varnish. Don't think I used variable roughness. It wouldn't make much sense in this scenario...

If you ever decide to try out my stuff for real, would you please let me know in advance so that I could sync everything properly?

Sure, I'll let you know! Been thinking of it off and on ever since I started dabbling around with the pathtracer;)

My skin shader uses GGX for area lights but Cook-Torrance for glossy reflection. Wowie and me, we follow very different philosophies and methodologies :)

Ah that's interesting. Yes I can see that!

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,697
    edited February 2021

LOL, Sven Dullah, I love the Covid Blues (F-major).
    Mustakettu85, I really like your first render, the lighting, subtle  color and the composition.

I have been using Iray most of the the time and it does aggaravate me. I have found a few lighting devices that work for me and use them over and over.

Here are a few genesis using Male-M3dia M3D Men 2 for David morphs. The close-ups have Kimo materials. The hairy guy has Jepe's Project Hairy geoshells.

kimo david carter.jpg
    1000 x 1397 - 1M
    kimo david carter 2.jpg
    1000 x 1397 - 1M
    david-alec 2.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 552K
    Post edited by luci45 on

Here are a few genesis using Male-M3dia M3D Men 2 for David morphs. The close-ups have Kimo materials. The hairy guy has Jepe's Project Hairy geoshells.

Nice ones! And tks for the heads up, somehow managed to forget about those morphs, wishlisted:)

• luci45 said:

Mustakettu85, I really like your first render, the lighting, subtle  color and the composition.

Thank you so much!

It's interesting how you're going for a desaturated colour scheme in these renders you've posted. Somehow reminds me of vintage movie audition photos.

• Mr Hyde was also a Genesis morph

edited February 2021

Sven Dullah said:

Nice ones! And tks for the heads up, somehow managed to forget about those morphs, wishlisted:)

Male-M3dia's morphs are great. These for David are some of his best. David, I think, is the best of the Genesis Base characters. His ears aren't flat like almost all of the other characters, even recent ones.

Mustakettu85, I like doing retro stuff. I also like strong color but I find it hard to manage skin tones. 

FirstBastion, Cool render. I love the filter - it looks like real watercolor.

This is a G2M with Aging Morphs and M4 Stratton texture.

old guy antiqued.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 516K
    Post edited by luci45 on

luci45 said:

Very nice portrait, love your postwork:)

I was about to do another G1 "out of the box character", (Analeigh for V4/S4 and Genesis, couldn't find it in the store so may have been pulled, but who knows, the store is borked), but as usual one thing led to another. Swapped the G1 basic female for the G3F shape and a tad V7. About 50% Analeigh head used. Tokyo Stroll for G2F top and Devil May for G3F base&bun. The G3 clones are so much better than the G2 ones so I prefer to use G3, generally. The textures are the original Analeigh, though.

Sven Dullah said: 

Very nice portrait, love your postwork:)

Swapped the G1 basic female for the G3F shape and a tad V7. About 50% Analeigh head used. Tokyo Stroll for G2F top and Devil May for G3F base&bun. The G3 clones are so much better than the G2 ones so I prefer to use G3, generally. The textures are the original Analeigh, though.

Thank you. I only know how to use textures from other generations. How did you you transfer G3 shape to Genesis? I really like her profile (and the render.)

luci45 said:

How did you you transfer G3 shape to Genesis? I really like her profile (and the render.)

I have the GenX2 add on for G3, and all the other add ons, so can transfer between Gen4 , G1, G2 and G3. I guess most people transfer older generations to G3 but I like to go the other way around;) Now picking up all the G3 morph packs when on heavy sale:)) My G1 morphs list is getting rather extensive by now...

•  

Reminds me of a Canadian actor named Stephen McHattie. Really nice period piece portrait.

Another G1 character I made about a year ago. Think she was based on a V4 shape with some added G1 aging morphs. And IIRC it's a V4 skin that had some nice displacement maps. Also looks like some V4 dress, but y'know, my memory plays tricks with me:)

The Matriarchsmiley

edited February 2021

Some more Genesis 1 NPR

Post edited by Chohole on

vrba79 said:

Some more Genesis 1 NPR

Nice and clean, well done!

edited February 2021

Thanks, FirstBastion

I didn't know morph transfer could go backwards with GenX2, Sven Dullah. That is pretty cool.

Here are some Genesis aliens made from various morphs and a RawArt's bear for Genesis. I wanted to use Dimension Theory's Skys of Sylvan that I grabbed in Fast Grab a few days ago. I used some Filter Forge filters and Ron's plates. 

aliens and bears.jpg
    1800 x 1013 - 456K
    Post edited by luci45 on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    edited February 2021

I made this one a couple yrs ago was working on GF2 posing and FotoSketcher!!

!A Muscle Woman_FotoSketcher.jpg
    3075 x 3825 - 4M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    edited February 2021

Ohai, I can support this! Let me see what I have...

Here's Belle and Josie 6, out for a walk in a mysterious nightly forest. Please to disregard Josie 7, who's tagging along on the left.

Brodie and Jaden wonder if they're lost.

Victoria 6 and Bree.

Post edited by WinterMoon on

Something fishy going on (killer shark for Genesis)

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,786

I created an entire feature film with Mill4 , Genesis 1,& Genesis 2.

G3/8  are inferior for character animation.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,250
    edited February 2021

So amazing finding this thread! So I guess I'm not alone in Loving the Genesis 1 platform? ;)

I was playing around with Genesis from the beginning, collecting, collecting and then collecting more shapes for this incredible technology. I dabbled with transferring my main protagonist characters to Genesis, but was still heavily stuck into their V4/M4 versions.

I finally took the advice from a friend and bought GenX2 and built my main Heroine using Genesis 1, and her male counterpart shortly after, once I discovered how much I enjoyed working with these figures for my animation work - they are So compatible (with minor adjustment) with So Many other generations!

So here, I (Dartanbeck) am the host, introducing my true love (and wife) Rosie 5.

She's wearing a combination of two complete texture sets (V4 Elitie Reby Sky and V4 High Resolution Wet) and Genesis 2 Female shapes: Ysabeau 6, Aiko 6, Keiko 6, Gia 6 and The Girl 6 along with a pile of morphs from the V4 line, while I'm wearing Michael 4's High Resolution maps, Mon Chevalier Hair combined with custom dynamic hair - her hair is entirely dynamic

Both are Genesis 1 Actors

Introducing Rosie 5 - The Support Page (articles)

Over the holidays I took some time to learn Daz Studio due to the new features added in 4.14 and, in the process Genesis 8 - I had a lot of fun and then realized how much time and expense it would be to bring my animation files up to date with Genesis 8... Yikes! So while I'll still be working toward improving my collection for 8 and staying in tune with some of it, I have decided to build a new, less stylized version of Rosie 5 taking more advantage of the Daz Studio technology, since that will also (mostly) work in Carrara as well.

So here's a video I just released last night showing some very preliminary work on Rosie 5.5 - Lip sync, Hair (still very much a work-in-progress) animations and dynamic clothing and soft-body tissues. Um... yeah. Like I said - very much preliminary tests put into a presentation! ;)

Rosie 5.5 - Brodging Technology Page/Article

Post edited by Dartanbeck on