Octane Render for Carrara (OR4C) Public Beta now released..

Comments

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited October 2014

Hope you dont mind, feel free to use this version if you like, dont want to step on any toes :)

Thanks!

Personally I am fine with you checking off my todo list for me, If I knew you was going to make another copy I would not have wasted my time this morning! ;) I am sure Sighman will comment if he feels he needs to, but I doubt he will want too many versions floating around and being maintained (If you are willing to take over the task of keeping it up to date?) That is why there is a dedicated thread to the PDF manual, see link below.

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=42718

Post edited by Orion_Uk on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839
    edited December 1969

Orion can you please edit your first post to remove the e from carrara?
    it is niggling me

I admit I have not tried using the demo much either, been too busy rendering in the Daz studio version
    I did find trees with full mesh render fine even replicated though which is a great thing indeed

edited October 2014

Orion can you please edit your first post to remove the e from carrara?
    it is niggling me

Lol, what E would that be WendE?
    :P

Seriously though, Done :)
    Amazed that neither myself or anyone else did not see that or comment about it until now! Thanks Wendy ;)

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited October 2014

Orion_Uk said:
    Hope you dont mind, feel free to use this version if you like, dont want to step on any toes :)

Thanks!

Personally I am fine with you checking off my todo list for me, If I knew you was going to make another copy I would not have wasted my time this morning! ;) I am sure Sighman will comment if he feels he needs to, but I doubt he will want too many versions floating around and being maintained (If you are willing to take over the task of keeping it up to date?) That is why there is a dedicated thread to the PDF manual, see link below.

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=42718

Information

You cannot reply in this forum.

Is what it says when i try to post on your thread, and it seems I cant post to the Carrara thread at all, which is strange as I would have thought being a licensed customer I should be.

As to the keeping the PDF up to date, I wouldn't have an issue if I can access the source, otherwise its a lot of downloading and editing as I will have to save each link as HTML and the required files, then make them into a PDF, if i could get my hands on the source would be a lot faster.

Edit:

I see the issue, they haven't added me to the Licensed Customers group on the forum

Post edited by IamArtistX on
    edited October 2014

I would not worry too much about this IamArtistX,

Sighman works on the online version and I have been working on the offline version with Sighmans consent for a while now, so I have that in hand thank you. Like I said before I really don't think too many copies floating around is a good idea! Having said that, what you create for your own use or distribution is up to you I guess! I am pretty sure Sighman would like to keep things simple & within his control seeing as its his baby (hence me asking his permission first) check with him if you are that intent. :)

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Had a little scare and wanted to ask if this is 'normal'.

Loaded up 2 naked v4s with prop hair and a clothed M4 (in Uzilite's hardcore outfit). Nothing else, no room, no scene, nothing. All I was trying to test was to verify that Octane doesn't count the morph information for the V4's/M4's/clothing towards the memory limitation, since when I looked at this setup in Carrara's render room it was over 4Gb (I'm assuming because of all the morphs). Also the M4 had Carrara hair on it, 120,000+, but I didn't think that would matter since Octane should likely not see/count it. I of course did the 'consolidate all shaders' thing.

Pulled up the Octane window, and it came up sluggish... then everything froze, for something like 15 minutes. I mean I couldn't even do a ctrl+alt+delete to try to crash out of Carrara, my laptop was non-responsive (I've got the 2g Nvidia 740m, so that you know my limitation is 2g).

I have another laptop that I use for work which was already booted up, so even though I was a little freaked out, I just ended up websurfing and messing around, wondering if my Carrara/Octane laptop was going to come back ever or if I would have to try to do a full restart, pulling the battery and everything. And about 15 minutes later it unfroze and came back. More surprising than that, Octane had no trouble rendering the little scene, actually very quickly all things considered. So while I first thought that I may have drifted over my scene size limitation, it seems not after all (which is a good thing because 2 naked V4's and 1 clothed M4 seems like it shouldn't take up that much memory if we are simply talking about the .obj shapes they represent, I would think).

Up til now in my tests I really haven't done very complicated scenes or setups, mostly because I was just learning the ins and outs. I've sort of assumed that since Thea render has the same GPU memory limit based on that 2G NVidia card, that any scene I could render in Thea I should be able to render in Octane too, and I'm able to render some pretty complex and big scenes in Thea. While 2G is pretty small for Nvidia memory, it really is a pretty large amount of space for most scenes, when you're not considering morphs and whatnot.

Is this normal though for a slightly complex scene to suddenly freeze everything on my computer while it loads in the Octane window? 15 minutes is a loooong time, especially when you have no idea if it's going to come back and unfreeze or not. Or is it possible that the fact I had some Carrara hair enabled on one of the figures (I had forgotten about that when I loaded him and opened the Octane window) is somehow to blame for everything going Stop! for so long?

Just wondering if others have had any similar experiences.

edited December 1969

I have a 2gb GTX 770 and can't seem to do a complex scene, Howie Fawkes and such, and I haven't down any renders with V4 and such yet, but it is on the list of things to do, still trying to work out how to get Octane to see more lights as it always says i only have one in the scene, unless its mean't to be like that

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Had a little scare and wanted to ask if this is 'normal'.

Loaded up 2 naked v4s with prop hair and a clothed M4 (in Uzilite's hardcore outfit). Nothing else, no room, no scene, nothing. All I was trying to test was to verify that Octane doesn't count the morph information for the V4's/M4's/clothing towards the memory limitation, since when I looked at this setup in Carrara's render room it was over 4Gb (I'm assuming because of all the morphs). Also the M4 had Carrara hair on it, 120,000+, but I didn't think that would matter since Octane should likely not see/count it. I of course did the 'consolidate all shaders' thing.

Pulled up the Octane window, and it came up sluggish... then everything froze, for something like 15 minutes. I mean I couldn't even do a ctrl+alt+delete to try to crash out of Carrara, my laptop was non-responsive (I've got the 2g Nvidia 740m, so that you know my limitation is 2g).

I have another laptop that I use for work which was already booted up, so even though I was a little freaked out, I just ended up websurfing and messing around, wondering if my Carrara/Octane laptop was going to come back ever or if I would have to try to do a full restart, pulling the battery and everything. And about 15 minutes later it unfroze and came back. More surprising than that, Octane had no trouble rendering the little scene, actually very quickly all things considered. So while I first thought that I may have drifted over my scene size limitation, it seems not after all (which is a good thing because 2 naked V4's and 1 clothed M4 seems like it shouldn't take up that much memory if we are simply talking about the .obj shapes they represent, I would think).

Up til now in my tests I really haven't done very complicated scenes or setups, mostly because I was just learning the ins and outs. I've sort of assumed that since Thea render has the same GPU memory limit based on that 2G NVidia card, that any scene I could render in Thea I should be able to render in Octane too, and I'm able to render some pretty complex and big scenes in Thea. While 2G is pretty small for Nvidia memory, it really is a pretty large amount of space for most scenes, when you're not considering morphs and whatnot.

Is this normal though for a slightly complex scene to suddenly freeze everything on my computer while it loads in the Octane window? 15 minutes is a loooong time, especially when you have no idea if it's going to come back and unfreeze or not. Or is it possible that the fact I had some Carrara hair enabled on one of the figures (I had forgotten about that when I loaded him and opened the Octane window) is somehow to blame for everything going Stop! for so long?

Just wondering if others have had any similar experiences.

The long delay sounds a bit odd, were you approaching the limits of system RAM? If so, then the long delay would be from disk thrashing .... err ... um ... disk swapping while converting the geometry for use in Octane (this is done outside the GPU using normal system resources). Other than this wild guess, I can't think of what might be causing such a long delay. For larger scenes with a couple figures and a bunch of other stuff it usually only takes a couple of seconds at the most for me (24Gb of system RAM).
    edited December 1969

I have a 2gb GTX 770 and can't seem to do a complex scene, Howie Fawkes and such, and I haven't down any renders with V4 and such yet, but it is on the list of things to do, still trying to work out how to get Octane to see more lights as it always says i only have one in the scene, unless its mean't to be like that

The plugin "converts" mesh lights (glow channel to black body emitters) and the sun light to Octane lights, all other lights in Carrara aren't converted to Octane lights. In most cases a cube or plane (using a black body emmitter shader) will work well for lights in Octane, and an open ended cone (with the normals reversed) can make a nice spot light. you can make a light invisible by giving it zero opacity.

When using mesh lights (or the sun light) in Octane, the smaller the light the harder the shadows, the larger the light, the softer the shadows.

edited December 1969

Okay, probably a silly question, but seeing I have never had to use them, can you explain to me what you mean by black body emitter? I have been messing about using planes and high values in the glow channel.

All of this is extremely new to me, so if my questions seem newbish, that's because I am

edited December 1969

Okay, probably a silly question, but seeing I have never had to use them, can you explain to me what you mean by black body emitter? I have been messing about using planes and high values in the glow channel.

All of this is extremely new to me, so if my questions seem newbish, that's because I am

black body emitter is simply a term for a glowing mesh in Octane that emits light. As an example slap a regular old primitive cube into a carrara scene, jump into the texture room and change the texture to an octane material (the greatest thing about this plugin is that it still keeps all the Carrara texture information, just adds an Octane material farther down that supersedes all the carrara texturing in Octane).

In the octane material, set it as diffuse. Scroll down til you get to the Emission channel, it will give 2 choices, blackbody or texture. Select black body. Now you've set the cube to glow in Octane, emitting light. You can play with the intensity slider to get more and less light, and the other 2 sub channels seem to control how far the light extends, etc. Open the Octane window and you'll see that you've now created a glowing Cube that is emitting light to your scene. Like dustrider says, you can make the cube invisible and still preserve the light that is emitted by dialing the opacity channel to 0. However one thing I haven't yet been able to figure out is how to keep the invisible object from throwning some shadows (however slight).

edited December 1969

Thanks, very informative :)

edited October 2014

dustrider said:
    The long delay sounds a bit odd, were you approaching the limits of system RAM? If so, then the long delay would be from disk thrashing .... err ... um ... disk swapping while converting the geometry for use in Octane (this is done outside the GPU using normal system resources). Other than this wild guess, I can't think of what might be causing such a long delay. For larger scenes with a couple figures and a bunch of other stuff it usually only takes a couple of seconds at the most for me (24Gb of system RAM).

I've got 8G ram in my laptop, I wasn't even thinking about that. I did have a number of other windows opened for various webpages and things I was surfing/doing, so maybe I was somehow pushing up against the 8G ram I've got going when combining with what I was doing in Carrara.

For a moment I'll admit I thought 'holy crap, Octane counts the morphs as part of the memory, I'm not going to be able to use this for anything except extremely simple single person renders until I get a better rig', so I was relieved when it came back and rendered fine in the end. I do a lot of indoor renders with 2 - 4 clothed M4/V4 characters, the architecture props I use have been fairly complex (like Truform's full houses/apartments over at Rendo, not just one single room) and since I hadn't ever had a problem in Thea I assumed I shouldn't have much problem in Octane either (same video card restrictions for GPU for both, after all). I'm not talking about trying to render a Howie Farke's scene in Octane, as the real sticking point for those type of scenes is the trees, as I understand it, since Octane only has one layer of instancing the Howie scenes need a lot of changes and 'flattening' of trees before they could work inside of Octane, at least with my little 2G memory card :)

As long as I can render internal scenes with 1 - 4 clothed characters, Octane should serve my needs as is without me having to go buy a new computer with a Titan :) Sounds like it's been enough for you for similar scenes, dustrider, so maybe this was just a one off. And also maybe it was the Carrara hair that I had on the M4, which was also visible in the Carrara viewport, I know that Carrara hair even just being visible in the assembly room can chew up resources. I assembled a recent scene with 9 V4/M4 characters, all with carrara hair, and while it had no problem rendering it, when I had all 9 hairs visible in the assembly room I started to get some slight delays in response when moving cameras around the scene, etc, til I turned some of the hairsets invisible again.

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited December 1969

Other lighting info I've stumbled across, read somewhere, or maybe understand wrong :)

Sunlight is the only carrara light that will come across in Octane. Of course it's very useful for outdoor scenes.

In the scene tab there's a new section for 'Octane Environment'. By default it's set to '1', but it can act something a bit like the ambient light does for Carrara, so in some scenes might be best to turn it all the way down. On the other hand, this is where the intensity for your hdri lighting you may be using in the scene is going to come from, so sometimes (if you are using hdri lights) it's best to keep it up at '1' or even higher if you need more light.l

edited December 1969

Not a silly question at all. This is standard terminology for most unbiased render engines, but not for most other render engines. The image below shows where you can find the black body option after setting the materials of your mesh to Octane materials (diffuse material). The default value of 6500 provide about the same color as sunlight. This link (http://planetpixelemporium.com/tutorialpages/light.html) will give you a good idea about correlating the temperature values with a color.

Black_body.jpg
    657 x 456 - 56K
  • Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Im having some issues with depth of field. Was wondering does the camera f/Stop under render target work like a real camera with respect to DOF cus I am trying some stuff and not getting the results I am expecting.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

akulla3D said:
    Im having some issues with depth of field. Was wondering does the camera f/Stop under render target work like a real camera with respect to DOF cus I am trying some stuff and not getting the results I am expecting.

Thanks.

The aperture setting under "Octane Thin Lens" in the Effects tab (see below) will adjust the intensity/range of DOF. Reducing it will reduce the effects of DOF, increasing will increase the effects of DOF. To turn DOF "off", set it to 0.

Hope this answers your question.

Aperture.jpg
    248 x 400 - 29K
    edited December 1969

akulla3D said:

Thanks.

Akulla3d, don't know if it helps or not, but the plugin does translate the carrara depth of field on the camera (just the blur intensity and the focus from camera), but also further down in the effects tab of the camera is a new Octane Thin Film camera tab with all kinds of different controls you can use. To decrease blurring, you an set the 'aperture' setting at lowering intensity. I was getting more blurring then I wanted on objects that weren't even all that far away from my focus, so I rest the aperture setting lower and it made for much less blurring, and a broader focus. I haven't messed around that much with the other settings there yet.

edited December 1969

Dang, 1 second behind dustrider, who gave a better answer complete with pics to show :)

edited December 1969

I am at least getting somewhere replicating trees
    using full mesh
    I can see panning around in big terrains full of forests will be quicker and faster than carrara native render
    as long as shading kept simple
    too many texture maps would be a killer
    I wish I could figure out how to use the octane shaders, adding them in shader room seems to do nothing
    oddly as much as I hate node editors I have sort of figured out the DAZ studio ones.

Untitled.jpg
    1923 x 1089 - 896K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    akulla3D said:

Thanks.

Akulla3d, don't know if it helps or not, but the plugin does translate the carrara depth of field on the camera (just the blur intensity and the focus from camera), but also further down in the effects tab of the camera is a new Octane Thin Film camera tab with all kinds of different controls you can use. To decrease blurring, you an set the 'aperture' setting at lowering intensity. I was getting more blurring then I wanted on objects that weren't even all that far away from my focus, so I rest the aperture setting lower and it made for much less blurring, and a broader focus. I haven't messed around that much with the other settings there yet.

Yes, but there is a bug here too. I have found that when I resize the Octane Render Window, that sometimes the entire image becomes blurry. I find the only way to fix it is to resize the window again. It's very odd. It was the reason I thought I was doing something wrong with the camera.

In a short while I will upload a screen shot of what I an experiencing. But for me it seems there is a minor bug at work here.

edited December 1969

using full mesh
    I can see panning around in big terrains full of forests will be quicker and faster than carrara native render
    I wish I could figure out how to use the octane shaders, adding them in shader room seems to do nothing
    oddly as much as I hate node editors I have sort of figured out the DAZ studio ones.

Do tell me more. Also, do you like the Daz Studio plug-in for Octane? Is it worthwhile alongside the Carrara plug-in?

edited December 1969

yes am loving it
    I can render the HD meshes for a start, animated too
    there are limits, total texture size being main one
    if you have a kickarse graphics card that may be less of an issue

edited December 1969

using full mesh

Changing your carrara texture to an octane material (outside of the automated change the plugin will already do, I mean) takes more than just selecting to change it to an octane material at the top. When you do that you basically turn the shader into 2 channels, the top one is exactly the same Carrara texture it always was, and will behave the same way. The bottom channel is the octane material, but until you actually set it up it doesn't really do anything. So you have to go down there next and then choose one of the octane options, diffuse, specular, portal (which is really a transparent window shader to allow light to come into the room and results in faster rendering of glass objects inside the room), or glossy, or a mix of different octane shaders. Once you set one of these as the octane material, it will basically supersede the carrara shader and you should quickly start to notice big differences. It's nice that the Carrara shader is still there, in the first channel, intact if you should need it again (by dragging it back up to the top and turning the whole thing back into a straight Carrara shader) or even just to reference it as you build the Octane material. Actually really smart way to put it together. Hope it helps!

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    using full mesh

Changing your carrara texture to an octane material (outside of the automated change the plugin will already do, I mean) takes more than just selecting to change it to an octane material at the top. When you do that you basically turn the shader into 2 channels, the top one is exactly the same Carrara texture it always was, and will behave the same way. The bottom channel is the octane material, but until you actually set it up it doesn't really do anything. So you have to go down there next and then choose one of the octane options, diffuse, specular, portal (which is really a transparent window shader to allow light to come into the room and results in faster rendering of glass objects inside the room), or glossy, or a mix of different octane shaders. Once you set one of these as the octane material, it will basically supersede the carrara shader and you should quickly start to notice big differences. It's nice that the Carrara shader is still there, in the first channel, intact if you should need it again (by dragging it back up to the top and turning the whole thing back into a straight Carrara shader) or even just to reference it as you build the Octane material. Actually really smart method off making the octane materials fit into the Carrara shader system, kudos to sighman. Hope it helps!

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    akulla3D said:

Thanks.

Yes, but there is a bug here too. I have found that when I resize the Octane Render Window, that sometimes the entire image becomes blurry. I find the only way to fix it is to resize the window again. It's very odd. It was the reason I thought I was doing something wrong with the camera.

In a short while I will upload a screen shot of what I an experiencing. But for me it seems there is a minor bug at work here.

I haven't run into that yet, even though I do a lot of resizing of the window myself, guess I've been lucky not to run into it so far (even though it seems like it will be a pretty quick fix). Then again, only just recently learned where the depth of field controls were for the Octane cameras, the default amount of background blur is a little too much for me in most instances, so I started hunting through the manual to find where to adjust it :)

edited October 2014

Sighman,

As I stated above, there is a slight bug with the Octane Window itself blurring the images it displays.

Below are two screen captures of the same WIP image file as it is displayed on my monitor. The render is the same it is not two separate renders. You can even see the time stamping on the bottom right of the screen captures. The first image is sharp as expected, but the bottom one has about a pixel worth of blurring all over the image. The only difference is the size of the window itself. It isn't the size that matters in terms of large or small, sometimes it looks sharp and other times blurry. I wonder if the blurring occurs when window sizes tend to be odd in number of pixels or something? I suspect it is something to do with the way the resolution of the window itself affects what it is displaying.

This issue led me to think I had somehow blurred the camera to a degree greater than in the previous renders. But none of my camera settings had actually changed, so I began to suspect there might be a bug. This bus is by any stretch of the word minor, but it is something people should know to look out for. With the soon to come option to save the render to teh clipboard as in the standalone, the window cannot be allowed to blur the image display.

I also need to put something together for you about Transforms for Shaders scaling and rotation etc. Sometimes, when using the Octane Material option, I can edit the scaling and rotation of my image inputs by using the standard Carrara controls. But at other times I find I have to use the Octane Controls under UV Transforms in order to get it to respond to my changes? Any ideas on why this might be?

Thanks in advance once again, Sighman.

Edit: For some reason the forum software placed the blurred image first and the sharp one second. Apologies for any confusion.

OR4C_Blurred.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 901K
    OR4C_Sharp.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 977K
    Post edited by Rashad Carter on
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    akulla3D said:

Thanks.

The aperture setting under "Octane Thin Lens" in the Effects tab (see below) will adjust the intensity/range of DOF. Reducing it will reduce the effects of DOF, increasing will increase the effects of DOF. To turn DOF "off", set it to 0.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks so much for the answer, this will help alot.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Dang, 1 second behind dustrider, who gave a better answer complete with pics to show :)

lol, thanks for the info.

edited December 1969

Another silly question, I havent tried it yet as I am trying to clean up the PC and sort things out, but I bought PhilW's pack for Luxus, this contains mesh lights, with a little tweaking would these be good to use for Octane, I am guessing as they are default et for Lux Octane wouldn't pick them up