Introduce Yourself, Hello, my name is.....

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Welcome to the DAZ forums eermusic. Good to see you're finding your way around. :coolsmile:

• edited December 1969

Greetings! I am using Daz to have fun with video.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Welcome monte!

Hope you have fun here.

• bern131088bern131088 Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Hello! My name is Bernardo. I've just started working with daz studio! Nice to meet this great community!

edited December 1969

Hello Bernardo, and Welcome!

Hope you enjoy your time with DAZ Studio, and I hope to see you on the New Users Forum.

Best wishes

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796
    edited December 1969

Hello to the DAZ community,

My name is Linwelly, and im the office fairy or a lady called Annette. Since we discovered DAZ3D end of November 2014 she is so dazzeld with the possibilities of the program, that I will be responsible for the communication around here. It started out with the idea to give some RPG characters a face, now it is a possibility to spend way to much time. Thanks to all the nice people who have provided all kinds of information and tutorials here in the forums. That already has been very helpful and there is still more to read.

Have a good year 2015 everybody
    Linwelly

edited December 1969

Hello Linwelly and welcome to the forums.

Glad you are enjoying DAZ Studio, there is lots to learn, but most of it should be fun.

Hope to see you on the New Users Forum, we are there to help.

• Mental AmbushMental Ambush Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Hello My name is Mental Ambush and I'm a DAZaholic.

I tried Daz for the first time in 2013 but it just made my head spin and I didn't like it.

Due to illness I tried it again in about June 2014 and became hopelessly addicted.

After countless hours of not knowing what i was doing I decided I needed help.

I was offered 2 choices 'Rehab' or 'group sessions'

I chose group sessions so here I am!!

joker_cartoon.jpg
    802 x 569 - 338K
    edited December 1969

Nice to see you on the forums Mental Ambush!

Great image, it is very striking. Best wishes.

• Mental AmbushMental Ambush Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

I first found DAZ when trying to get a better piece of software than sculptris, Although my sculptris Batman is still one of my best images I wanted something a little easier to use. DAZ offers a wonderful array of items and is kinda easy to use, I wouldn't say I'm a pro, far from it! But it is way easier to get nice results, there is still so much I need to learn!

like for example: How can I make the skin on this lighter in colour?

Kieth_Flint.jpg
    497 x 599 - 124K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Come and visit us in The New Users Help Forum ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/97/ ) to get answers to all your questions.

• ddpepsiddpepsi Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Hello all my name is Douglas

I am new to Daz This is my first time doing any type of 3d or graphic work. I've always wanted to do art work but I can't draw but now this gives me the opportunity to express my self.

edited December 1969

Hello Douglas and welcome!

You have come to the right place. Please ask any questions that you may have on the New Users Forum, hope to see you there soon.

edited December 1969

Welcome to all our new members since the last time I visited this thread. :coolsmile:

• bohica1998bohica1998 Posts: 7
    edited January 2015

Hello all,

I'm kind of an old newbie. I guess that requires a little bit of explanation.

I started out with the DAZ|Studio program back when it was still in the Beta stage (i.e., there was no version number yet). I used to get on these forums, but I can't recall my old username/password, so I guess I'm starting all over again here too.

I never did get very proficient with it, and between the steep learning curve and my own lack of experience with 3D programs, my interest kind of died off and I drifted on to other things.

Now I've decided to try again (although there seems to be even more to keep me confused).

(Hmm, it seems that the forum still has my old avatar and username in storage somewhere though. And it seems to have added my original join date. :LOL: )

Post edited by bohica1998 on
    edited December 1969

Hello bohica, and welcome back!

We have a New Users Forum where you can get as much help as you need to get back into DAZ Studio again. Anything that you are stuck on, just ask, and we'll do our best to help you.

See you on the forums.

edited December 1969

Welcome back to 3D bohica. :coolsmile:

• jdavid82jdavid82 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Hi all, I'm glad to see how active this community is.

I apologise for the length of this post :)

I've been working as a software developer for about 8 years now, all my work revolves around business applications, market research, accounting, finance, number crunching etc etc.

I've always wanted to make a game and I decided to give it a try.

This time I've also decided to work on the artistic part or it, this means I will be doing all the characters, levels, objects, music etc.

I don't have any experience with graphic design whatsoever but I am planning on spending one or two months on learning the basics of different design techniques, more specifically:

- Pixel Art (mostly for the level maps).
    - Some rapid 3D development tool for the characters and their animation (haven't decided which tool to use yet).

I am planning on rendering the 3D characters (and their animations) into 32x32 pixel tiles and then add them to the game all packaged up in a texture file.

I am planning on making an RPG style game using Cocos2D-X, I know that cocos now has support for something called "3D Sprite" too so that could be an option for other file types I guess.

Ok so my question is, I am willing to work on this as a hobby for the first few years but then for the next 15 to 20 years (if my health allows for it hehe) get more and more serious about it.

Does your products' licensing, pricing and capabilities allow for me to create the characters I need and render them to 2D or is it better for me to learn 3D character design and all the stuff that comes with 3D asset building for games?

Yes I want to eventually learn some 3D design so that I can be a better project manager for future games, but yes I also want to be able to get a game out the door -within- the next couple of years (no longer than that). So -for my first game-, is it worth using a rapid 3D design tool for my characters or hmm I don't know, what you guys would recommend?

My top priority is to be able to ship a game in 2 years from now at the latest.

Thank you and once again sorry for the length of this post.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

jdavid82 said:
    Hi all, I'm glad to see how active this community is.

I apologise for the length of this post :)

I've been working as a software developer for about 8 years now, all my work revolves around business applications, market research, accounting, finance, number crunching etc etc.

I've always wanted to make a game and I decided to give it a try.

This time I've also decided to work on the artistic part or it, this means I will be doing all the characters, levels, objects, music etc.

I don't have any experience with graphic design whatsoever but I am planning on spending one or two months on learning the basics of different design techniques, more specifically:

- Pixel Art (mostly for the level maps).
    - Some rapid 3D development tool for the characters and their animation (haven't decided which tool to use yet).

I am planning on rendering the 3D characters (and their animations) into 32x32 pixel tiles and then add them to the game all packaged up in a texture file.

I am planning on making an RPG style game using Cocos2D-X, I know that cocos now has support for something called "3D Sprite" too so that could be an option for other file types I guess.

Ok so my question is, I am willing to work on this as a hobby for the first few years but then for the next 15 to 20 years (if my health allows for it hehe) get more and more serious about it.

Does your products' licensing, pricing and capabilities allow for me to create the characters I need and render them to 2D or is it better for me to learn 3D character design and all the stuff that comes with 3D asset building for games?

Yes I want to eventually learn some 3D design so that I can be a better project manager for future games, but yes I also want to be able to get a game out the door -within- the next couple of years (no longer than that). So -for my first game-, is it worth using a rapid 3D design tool for my characters or hmm I don't know, what you guys would recommend?

My top priority is to be able to ship a game in 2 years from now at the latest.

Thank you and once again sorry for the length of this post.

Welcome to the community, David. You can start by reading the licensing agreement. You can find a link to it on every forum page bottom. Go through that and then you can ask questions on what isn't clear. Remember that this is a peer-to-peer forum, so depending on what you need, you may want to submit a ticket if it's something only DAZ can answer.

• I realize I never said hello, how rude...

Hey I'm fiona. (Hi fiona!) I'm not really "the good". The thing is, once upon a time when registering for a forum, I was trying to be "fionathegreat" as a spoof, but it was taken. I didn't want to settle for fionatheokay. SO . I never really intended fionathegood to be a name anyone saw, it is just a registration name, but OOPs I didn't change it before I began posting in the forums, and now. Well I guess it's stuck. But just fiona will do. :-)

I started my formal training in drawing and painting in college, and learned photography in a dark room, if that means anything...As digital photography and the world of computer art was in its infancy, I followed along with it picking up things here and there. The obvious direction was to fuddle with photoshop until in became intuitive. Oddly, an interest in medieval armor making and metalsmithing led me to teach myself the basics of AutoCAD so I could send my medieval armor pattern pieces to be laser cut out of stainless steel... the articulation works so much better on a multi-lame gauntlet, for example, when the holes are always in exactly the same place every time. Talk about mixing ancient and modern worlds! And all that math I never thought I would use... I was wrong, knowing how to graph polynomial equations was a great help.

I became sick with cancer in 2007 and while recovering from surgury at a friends house, was introduced to the world of MMORPGs and 3d animation. Circa 2011 the MMORPG "Rift" came out with "dimensions" where players could manipulate different objects in the game to create their own "player housing"... after about a year of doing that I felt that my creations were stuck in the game platform and thus moved into 3-d model generation in Blender. I taught myself what I could with Blender, but reached the max I could absorb when it came to using subdivision to create maps. (Part of the struggle to learn is related to the c-word.) I put 3-d down for a while and went back to "old school" art with pastels...

Since December I have been approaching 3-d from the opposite end of the spectrum, working backwards from the finished product to the primitives. I am finding Daz to be a nice mix of work and play. I am here to grow and learn so that someday I can accomplish all the pieces of the pipeline of 3-d, from modeling to animation, and everything in between. But I am also enjoying rendering using pre-made 3-d models to save time in the simple pleasure of making pretty things. I have been trying to make pretty pictures since I could hold a crayon, I don't know what gives me the desire to do so. I once told a school counselor that it was my goal in life to know how to do every single kind of art, and right now 3-d is the burning desire. I will consider myself having learned enough when I can come with an idea and execute it without any struggle whatsoever. Until then I am a learner.

Thank you so much to everyone who has welcomed me so far! I look forward to meeting more people who share this interest.

Post edited by Whitehart Creative Arts 3-D (fionathegood) on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796
    edited December 1969

I realize I never said hello, how rude...

Hey I'm fiona. (Hi fiona!) I'm not really "the good". The thing is, once upon a time when registering for a forum, I was trying to be "fionathegreat" as a spoof, but it was taken. I didn't want to settle for fionatheokay. SO . I never really intended fionathegood to be a name anyone saw, it is just a registration name, but OOPs I didn't change it before I began posting in the forums, and now. Well I guess it's stuck. But just fiona will do. :-)

I started my formal training in drawing and painting in college, and learned photography in a dark room, if that means anything...As digital photography and the world of computer art was in its infancy, I followed along with it picking up things here and there. The obvious direction was to fuddle with photoshop until in became intuitive. Oddly, an interest in medieval armor making and metalsmithing led me to teach myself the basics of AutoCAD so I could send my medieval armor pattern pieces to be laser cut out of stainless steel... the articulation works so much better on a multi-lame gauntlet, for example, when the holes are always in exactly the same place every time. Talk about mixing ancient and modern worlds! And all that math I never thought I would use... I was wrong, knowing how to graph polynomial equations was a great help.

I became sick with cancer in 2007 and while recovering from surgury at a friends house, was introduced to the world of MMORPGs and 3d animation. Circa 2011 the MMORPG "Rift" came out with "dimensions" where players could manipulate different objects in the game to create their own "player housing"... after about a year of doing that I felt that my creations were stuck in the game platform and thus moved into 3-d model generation in Blender. I taught myself what I could with Blender, but reached the max I could absorb when it came to using subdivision to create maps. (Part of the struggle to learn is related to the c-word.) I put 3-d down for a while and went back to "old school" art with pastels...

Since December I have been approaching 3-d from the opposite end of the spectrum, working backwards from the finished product to the primitives. I am finding Daz to be a nice mix of work and play. I am here to grow and learn so that someday I can accomplish all the pieces of the pipeline of 3-d, from modeling to animation, and everything in between. But I am also enjoying rendering using pre-made 3-d models to save time in the simple pleasure of making pretty things. I have been trying to make pretty pictures since I could hold a crayon, I don't know what gives me the desire to do so. I once told a school counselor that it was my goal in life to know how to do every single kind of art, and right now 3-d is the burning desire. I will consider myself having learned enough when I can come with an idea and execute it without any struggle whatsoever. Until then I am a learner.

Thank you so much to everyone who has welcomed me so far! I look forward to meeting more people who share this interest.

Before you sit here and no one welcomes you proberly I will do that, even though you are here longer than I'am: so welcome to this dazzling place fiona. I am looking forward to having more chats with you in the new users contest. Or where ever we will stop in the same place.

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited December 1969

I'm Nathan, or Nate, whatever. Doesn't matter to me.

Like many others, gaming is one thing that got me into this. Whether it's tabletop roleplaying & the ability to produce an image, or just dabbling with the idea of making my own computer/tablet/phone game.
    Just the ability to tell a story is cool.

The more I saw of this free program, the more amazed I was at the capability. Now, I want to learn GIMP & Blender... at least, more than I used to know how to do with both. I used to mess around with GIMP for different things, but now I've got another reason to learn it.

I guess I enjoy being "creative". I don't know if I'd call it "artistic". I've dabbled in art, but I don't call myself an artist at all. I'm simply an amateur that enjoys getting my hands in things.

The other step for me is to figure out what I can do in GameMaker Studio, which someone got for me. I'm not interested in anything commercial... just stuff to mess around with for myself & for others around me. I mean, I have a job (i.e. "something they have to pay me money so that I show up & do"), and I couldn't imagine actually selling anything I created.

Of course, the games we play here... Terraria, Minecraft. Those are what we play the most. Nothing with crazy 3D graphics, although my son & I play some Halo now and again. The last game I "finished" was Red Dead Redemption, but I couldn't imagine making a game like that. Plus, it's not really my thing. I think PC/console games are in a kind of rut, especially RPGs. The illusion of choice in Mass Effect was a joke. Even Skyrim, as much eye-candy as it was, is a sort of step backwards. I enjoyed looking at Skyrim far more than playing it, whereas Minecraft & Terraria are way more fun to actually play. (Of course, the game I really want to play next is Life is Strange... but we're still getting huge mileage out of Minecraft & Terraria.)

• rastamanviberastamanvibe Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

Come on in and tell us about yourself!

Who are you?

Greetings everyone, the name is Tere, born and bred kiwi, and a lifetime musician, noob to DAZ (like only 3 weeks), this is my first ever adventure into the 3D animation world... kinda fresh of the boat...

What inspires your artistic aspirations?

I use to freehand sketch back in the days of old, you know, the old pencil to paper thing, and honestly, it's now becoming quite rare these days... I play around in CS4 a bit...

Some members of my family attended art school and are now skilled in the arts of traditional Maori wood and bone carving, one of my nephews whom has been drawing since he was a 3yr old (now aged 24) is the proud owner of a successful tattoo business (contemporary and traditional) here in NZL.

Tells me I inspired him back in my artist days when I use to draw him cartoon characters like 'Ninja Turtles' and 'Thundercats'. Now he (my nephew) inspires me and has refueled my interest back in art.

Is Meatloaf your favorite food?

Meatloaf? It's not my favorite food but I enjoy meatloaf now and then, however... any shellfish fresh out of the ocean like mussels, oysters, cockles, abalone, sea urchin, I prefer to eat raw, lightly steamed (like veges) or over a hot flame just long enough for the shells to pop open...

Favorite musician?

I've met a lot of my personal favorite musicians whilst touring and still continue to do so with my career in the music industry...

What makes you the unique and lovable individual you are?

I am who I am with my own special and personal characteristics and skills as well as the faults which is why my family and friends think i am unique, I don't think I'm unique in any type of form or way, but they do. I appreciate they even acknowledge me as being unique or even having a unique set of qualities... lovable comes with the package!

So drop on by, pull up a chair, and fill us in. We'd be very pleased to meet you!

What's drawing me into this 3D graphics world?, besides having a interest in the subject and being a former novice artist, it's less physically demanding than the tour life yet still carries that fun and creative factor, and like music, there's always a personal satisfaction one achieves no matter what levels of skill you're on.

I'm not the type of person to join a public forum of a product I've purchased and I only really visit those places when I need the FAQ section, but if that product has somehow or is in someway inspiring me, I will eventually sign up at the chance of hoping to educate myself further on the subject.

Thanks for reading.

edited December 1969

Hello Nathan and Tere, and welcome to the forums here!

I hope you will both enjoy your time here, and get a great deal of benefit from it. We have a New Users Forum, where you will be very welcome to ask any questions that you may have about DAZ Studio, or the site here.

Have a quick look through the site to see what catches your fancy, and we all look forward to meeting you on the forums.

Best wishes.

• rastamanviberastamanvibe Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

Hello Nathan and Tere, and welcome to the forums here!

I hope you will both enjoy your time here, and get a great deal of benefit from it. We have a New Users Forum, where you will be very welcome to ask any questions that you may have about DAZ Studio, or the site here.

Have a quick look through the site to see what catches your fancy, and we all look forward to meeting you on the forums.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the welcome!

• SBQDawnSBQDawn Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hello,

My name is Dawn I'm 49 and I just got the download for this, I'm not sure I will install it now that I read some of the prompts. I do not Like the idea of allowing the manager to have my Password. In fact I think it makes me a bit angry.
    Security online is a big issue, and I don't know this company from Adams Off Ox . How do I secure my PC if you want my password? Is there anyway around this???

edited December 1969

SBQDawn said:
    Hello,

My name is Dawn I'm 49 and I just got the download for this, I'm not sure I will install it now that I read some of the prompts. I do not Like the idea of allowing the manager to have my Password. In fact I think it makes me a bit angry.
    Security online is a big issue, and I don't know this company from Adams Off Ox . How do I secure my PC if you want my password? Is there anyway around this???

Are you talking about the DIM (DAZ Install Manager)?

The password it requires is your 'DAZ 3D ID', so that it can login to the store here, and display the items you have purchased, so that you can download and install them. It has nothing to do with the security of your PC.

If you don't want to use the DIM, then you can just download the ZIP files yourself. I don't see the difference, since you need to login to the store to see you purchased items anyway.

There is no problem with the DAZ 3D company, or store, and I have been coming here for nearly ten years. You are safe to shop here. If there is anything else you want to know, please ask.
  • SBQDawnSBQDawn Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

are you sure because The pop up I got said it need my Administrator password ...which is PC but if it means the ID and Password for here no problem I'll give it that ...and thank you for replying

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2015

Jimmy is indeed completely correct. The password needed for DIM is your DAZ 3D Password. The same password gives you access to these forums, the DAZ 3D store and DIM.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,933
    edited December 1969

The Install Manager will ask you for your DAZ account details - email and password - so that it can log in to your store account. If you download and install DAZ Studio, or plug-ins, or another application then you will be asked if you want to allow DIM to make changes to the PC as you would for any installer - but that's a local thing, it is the system asking you if it should allow the Install Manager rather than the Install Manager itself. The DAZ account info will not be saved between sessions unless you have the remember me option checked; the system permission will never be remembered between sessions.