Summer Treehouse Cottage unloadable

nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
edited December 1969 in The Commons

OK, just how much memory is needed to load this set?

Seriously, I just tried to load both the furnished preload and the unfurnished preload in DS, and it nearly maxed out my system memory - 4GB!

I literally cannot load the preloads.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

I've tried both unfurnished and furnished, and watched RAM usage in Task Manager. In both cases the load peaks at around 4GB (for unfurnished) with the furnished version peaking at around 4.5GB. The RAM usage drops by around 2GB after load in both cases.

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

They should really put a warning on the set then, if I'd known it was that resource intensive I might have passed it up.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited December 1969

I was thinking the same with the Nature - Swamp complete scene, I knew it was heavy but it takes more than 8 GB just to load it (PP2012/64).

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

I didn't see anything on the sale pages prohibiting returns. If you are unhappy, return it for a refund. You might also want to tell the PA. There is a place and need for ultra detailing and very hi res textures. There are also times when a low res version will suit as well.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    I didn't see anything on the sale pages prohibiting returns. If you are unhappy, return it for a refund. You might also want to tell the PA. There is a place and need for ultra detailing and very hi res textures. There are also times when a low res version will suit as well.
    I will second that, there are ways and tricks to make surfaces look good that don't require tones of memory. And if the thing is that demanding, I'd be extremely tempted to find something, anything to trim it down to make a lower demanding version, Tho I am not the PA for that.

If you can't get more ram for your computer, and you can't lower the resolution of most of the texture maps, I would ask for a refund.

And for the PA's, that most of them are probably painfully aware of. Despite the ability of Windows 7 Professional 64bit, to utilize more then 128GB of ram, allot computers cant except more then 32GB (8GB x 4sticks), assuming the computer has the slots, and there not blocked by the CPU cooler. At 16GB in my computer here, that set pushes the limits of adding anything else to the scene, I can't use it at this point in time.

This news simply places that item back into the depths of my wishlist, pending more ram for my computer, that is at least a month away. It pains me to say that, as I was pondering spending my last tidbits this month on that set. Ironically the funds went elsewhere before reading this thread tho.

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

Adding RAM is difficult, since I only have two slots for it, and any upgrade has to be two matching sticks. Plus I'm not sure if my version of Windows (Windows 7 Home Premium) will recognize anything over 4 GB.

I'm going to try downgrading the textures, see if that helps.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited August 2014

Home 32bit 4GB Max
    Home 64bit 16GB Max

The bigger question is, will the Motherboard except larger sticks. Assuming your running the 64bit version.
    (EDIT)
    I had done the downsizing of textures under XP, I made sure to make a backup of the original ones. I kept it simple for me, if it was 4k x 4k, I dropped it to 2k, anything around 1k x 1k and under I left alone.

Unfortunately, Polygon-counts also consume RAM, and there's nothing easy that I know of in studio to fix that. Even if there is, it would be directly noticeable in a render.

It dose come down to, how much work do you want to put into, something you paid for.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

OK, just how much memory is needed to load this set?

Seriously, I just tried to load both the furnished preload and the unfurnished preload in DS, and it nearly maxed out my system memory - 4GB!

I literally cannot load the preloads.

Is anyone else having this issue?

The set contains a whopping 3 million quads when loaded. It's certainly not for people with lower spec PCs. The detail however isn't really in the building itself, it's actually in the trees and the leaves where most of these polygons are concentrated. Removing those from the scene actually kills off nearly 90% of the total polygons (using polygon edit tool in Daz), bringing the total to a very manageable 311k polys.

Of course, none of this is helpful if you're unable to load it in. This is definitely one of those instances where having the option for a lower poly version might have helped considerably. I love detail as much as the next person, but that's a lot of polygons to use on just a couple of trees!

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

The 4 trees the house is attached to comprise most of 3 million polys? If you are doing a render of the whole exterior, you aren't going to be that close to the trees to need that kind of detailing. If you are rendering close to the exterior, how much of one of the trees are you really going see? If you do an interior, the detailing on the tree is pointless.

I know it comes with an unfurnished pre-load but if it's that resource heavy, it should have pre-load or options to load just the tree house and the trees individually. That way if I needed just the exterior and one tree, I'm not wasting resources.