Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Just a quick mess-around session after breaking my back today... man, stone gets heavier as each hour passes - I tell ya! Yikes! Anyways...

While I was placing stones, I was thinking about using the shaders for the above M4 Tin Man along with a mask to apply armor directly onto my Dartan Character - well... any character actually. So I loaded the displacement map into Howler and built a selection mask for parts of the upper torso and the upper limbs. I ended up making several attempts - and I still want to make changes - both to my custom displacement maps, textures, and the selection masks.

For folks whom might not know how to use Selection Masks like this, what it is, is a grayscale map which will control which shader goes where in a Top Shader > Complex > Multi Shader Mixer.

So we go to the top level of the shader, choose Complex Shaders > Multi Shader Mixer. The shader that was there will now become Source 1 and a new Source 2 Multichannel Shader is added along with one more level below called Shader, which is a shader node that we use to blend the two Sources.

So if we save a shader to the browser, we can select Source 2 and drag the shader from the Browser onto the top level of that source. Of course we can also do this with Source 1 as well.

For the blender shader, it's easiest to thing of the Value 1-100 node, which we can also use if we want to blend the two sources, mixing them together.

On a Value 1-100, we also have "0" (zero).

0 = Black, 100 = White

0 (Black) = Source 1, 100 (White) = Source 2, 1-99 (shades of gray) will then be a blend between Source 1 and Source 2. The closer to Black (0) we get, the more we'll see Source 1 in the shader and so on.

================================================================

So making maps for this, we just load in or create a map which uses black where we want Source 1 shader, white for Source 2, and shades of gray for a blend.

I my example, I've just used black and white with no gray. 

I also had to customize the displacement maps, since we can't apply displacement to either source individually - instead we're displacing the entire material zone. So I used the eyedropper to select the same shade of gray that RawArt used for the base level of his maps, and painted that over anything I didn't want displaced, which is everywhere my selection mask is black. 

I must say, this whole displacement game is really fun to play! Being able to blend shaders is also incredibly fun and powerful! 

thats a second skin ?

couldnt tell if you hadnt disclosed it smiley

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,276

Wow Andy... I really like the work you've done on all of it. That inner tomato really looks real! Yum!

I do love my veggies! I don't think I could do my stone work without them - make me feel so good inside! Yum!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,939

well what a thread, here's something from the marriage thread , using the Voldemort cloth plugin

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,143
    edited October 2016

Wow Andy... I really like the work you've done on all of it. That inner tomato really looks real! Yum!

I do love my veggies! I don't think I could do my stone work without them - make me feel so good inside! Yum!

Release your inner tomato!

P.S.  Great work Mr Wax!!

Post edited by PhilW on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,939

thanks Philw, and yes, the Inner tomato is worthwile persuing :)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited October 2016

Thanks everyone :)

here's another attempt,. I've adjusted the gloss on the peppers,. smaller ones are less shiny,. changed some stuff,. and rebult the inner tomato

thanks for all the tips and suggestions. :)

Updated image..

Newveg 3.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 296K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Very cool Andy. When do we eat... what will you cook up next. :)

the habanero shader looks like could easily turn milk chocolate cheeky  mars bars

I can't remember who posted the image of chocolate peanut butter sweets recently but that was a good chocolate shader, just the right amount of shine.

smiley

No it was the Reese style ones...but this is making me hungry!

reeses in the marriage wips smiley

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Sweet tooth is calling... gotta go satisfy it.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2016

Still playing around with Substance Painter - this didn't come out anything like they way it looked in SP, but I like it anyway. Flail and shield modeled in Blender (although there is nothing here I couldn't have done in Carrara too). The chain links are a bit too thin, so I may go back and replace those, but probably not since this was more of a texturing exercise than a modeling one. Rendered in Carrara.

BTW, I also tried using particles as dust in the air - it didn't totally work here, but I think I am on to something with it.  I will play around some more tomorrow and see if I can come up with some good base settings I can share.

ShieldAndFlail.jpg
    1920 x 780 - 224K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • The more you do it, the better it gets, like everything else wink

Weapons.jpg
    670 x 789 - 170K

Great examples guys!

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

another benchmark scene to test fake IL within carrara (compared to iray sun+sky model):

left: carrara render, 7 mins at 4k res; right iray 10 mins at 2k (still noisy)

carrara 7.jpg
    4000 x 1746 - 5M
    iray 10.jpg
    1876 x 890 - 368K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2016

Here we go - this one came out a little better!  Xiphos style sword modeled in Blender, textured in Substance Painter, rendered in Carrara.

XiphosFINAL.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 223K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • Nice and shiny MDO, practice makes perfect smiley

edited October 2016

Just thought I would share this render - an old character, Bruna by Syltermermaid, I don't think she is still available but I used her in a few images years ago and thought that I would see how she looks now with rendering in Octane.

BrunaPoseFinal.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 537K
    Post edited by PhilW on

very cool PhilW, maybe I would add a skull cap, as for the rest is close to perfection yes

very cool PhilW, maybe I would add a skull cap, as for the rest is close to perfection yes

I think it is realistic to have a little scalp showing at a parting - I needed to postwork the parting anyway on this and could have completely covered it that way!

+1 smiley

edited October 2016

Yummy! Very nice, Phil!

I'm building up some scenes for my movie. Both render quickly. These are the 'base' scenes, meaning that they still need the action brought in. The camera moves in both, so the scenes are much more broad than what these show.

This one is actually just a location shot. The camera will slowly move toward the sealed highway as the traffic within carries on and becomes chaotic - but we won't know that from out here.

This is another Location shot, but is also more closely tied to plot events

Canyon Highway Base 2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 504K
    Tower City Base 1b.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 483K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Oh, and I forgot to mention something cool about the lower image (above), in that within the depths of the city are every element of MT's Tower City (just bought from the sale (Finally - I've wanted this for some time!)) with all of the shaders optimized - which took a lot of hours. Some of these elements' shaders are so similar that they should really be the same - but they weren't - making a lot of time to get them to all be the same in the end - much more efficient on resources that way. 

With it all optimized, it now saves (compressed) Much faster!

Is it possible to get addicted to artists? Yeah... it is. I'm now addicted to Cybertenko along with all of my other addictions!

Just got this nasty thing on sale too!

It's a Drone Hunter/Killer - and it works for the bad guy! There's an endless supply of these awful things!

Hunter-Killer Drone 1a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 141K
    Hunter-Killer Drone 2a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 142K

Cool Kit: Walden Mill

• Dart, I love the the general ambiance you have in those renders. I look forward to see more of your movie.

Yummy! Very nice, Phil!

I'm building up some scenes for my movie. Both render quickly. These are the 'base' scenes, meaning that they still need the action brought in. The camera moves in both, so the scenes are much more broad than what these show.

This one is actually just a location shot. The camera will slowly move toward the sealed highway as the traffic within carries on and becomes chaotic - but we won't know that from out here.

This is another Location shot, but is also more closely tied to plot events

edited October 2016

Love the dusty atmospheres in your sets Dart! (looks like Philemo had the same thought at the same time!)

Post edited by PhilW on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Sweet. Is that volumetric clouds you're using for the dust?

This discussion has been closed.