February, 2020 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Lighting and Light Effects

Comments

• 0996ps0996ps Posts: 182
    edited February 2020

Morning DewTitle - Dream Home
    Software used - Daz Studio

Here is a work in progress render i did yesterday.
    Initially i wanted to do a darker scene with moonlight (distant light with high temperature) to make shadows but the shadows cast by trees didnt look nice enough even after trying lot of different angles.
    I think i will change model pose a little bit, add some expressions, and move camera closer to her. Headlights of car looks odd and that is probably cause glass is emmissive light and i made spotlight considering night scene in mind. i wonder if i should add more trees in background. Ground look a bit odd with so much reflections but i am not very adept at changing shader settings just yet. Maybe i will try reducing glossiness and specularity. Grass is missing in some of areas around frontdrive and thats because i do not have any grass products. Grass around fountain came with fountain itself which i scaled and multiplied to fit properly.

Lights i used so far:
    A distant light originating in left and casting light to right direction on whole scene which currently is pointless cause its really dim and i later added an hdri for lighting which is overshadowing it.
    Spotlights in car headlamps are providing some light to model.
    There is out of view spotlight above right gate light that is casting bit of light on model.
    Lights inside home are made with surface emmission on ceiling lights.

This is not an entry yet and may not end up as an entry. After seeing some of last year's entries i feel like my render is kinda dull.
    English is my third language so if i made some mistakes then i apologise for it.
    Edit: Changed Title.

Dew 900px.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 420K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826

Just noticed Ibl master for Daz studio is now in Fast Grab at 70% off. Think I will buy it and find out how to use it for this challenge

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

Software use - Daz Studio

Initially i wanted to do a darker scene with moonlight (distant light with high temperature) to make shadows but the shadows cast by trees didnt look nice enough even after trying lot of different angles.
    I think i will change model pose a little bit, add some expressions, and move camera closer to her. Headlights of car looks odd and that is probably cause glass is emmissive light and i made spotlight considering night scene in mind. i wonder if i should add more trees in background. Ground look a bit odd with so much reflections but i am not very adept at changing shader settings just yet. Maybe i will try reducing glossiness and specularity. Grass is missing in some of areas around frontdrive and thats because i do not have any grass products. Grass around fountain came with fountain itself which i scaled and multiplied to fit properly.

Lights i used so far:
    A distant light originating in left and casting light to right direction on whole scene which currently is pointless cause its really dim and i later added an hdri for lighting which is overshadowing it.
    There is out of view spotlight above right gate light that is casting bit of light on model.

This is not an entry yet and may not end up as an entry. After seeing some of last year's entries i feel like my render is kinda dull.
    English is my third language so if i made some mistakes then i apologise for it.

The render looks amazing! Even if there are some problems with realism I really like the look and feel.

The whole scene looks like it's wet, just finished raining or even it's still raining a little. I don't know if that's what you were going for, if it is, it's great.

I also feel that the textures of the building and the fences are a little too smooth. You need some bump and normal maps for them, if you already have them, maybe increase their values.

For me there are enough trees, if you add more, you will give the look of a villa alone in the forest vibe and it doesn't really look like a villa that belongs in the forest.

edited February 2020

The render looks amazing! Even if there are some problems with realism I really like the look and feel.

The whole scene looks like it's wet, just finished raining or even it's still raining a little. I don't know if that's what you were going for, if it is, it's great.

I also feel that the textures of the building and the fences are a little too smooth. You need some bump and normal maps for them, if you already have them, maybe increase their values.

For me there are enough trees, if you add more, you will give the look of a villa alone in the forest vibe and it doesn't really look like a villa that belongs in the forest.

Thanks.
    The iray shaders i currently own do not suit the house walls at all and i don't have money for more iray textures. The walls and fences are simple colors with iray base so i do not know how to make it look better. I plan to learn about shader settings once i have created a garden for house and filled empty spots with grass and ground shaders.

I also like the ground and wanted to add a light rain but i don't have anything for rain either.
    At first i posed the model with umbrella too and she was entering house instead of going out.
    I have atmocam2 and i saw something called heavy rain inside it but i have no idea how to operate atmocam well so far. Even if i did i feel like it still wont be able to create wetness on clothing and umbrella.

Post edited by 0996ps on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Thanks.
    The iray shaders i currently own do not suit the house walls at all and i don't have money for more iray textures. The walls and fences are simple colors with iray base so i do not know how to make it look better. I plan to learn about shader settings once i have created a garden for house and filled empty spots with grass and ground shaders.

I also like the ground and wanted to add a light rain but i don't have anything for rain either.
    At first i posed the model with umbrella too and she was entering house instead of going out.
    I have atmocam2 and i saw something called heavy rain inside it but i have no idea how to operate atmocam well so far. Even if i did i feel like it still wont be able to create wetness on clothing and umbrella.

Well I think as well, that you made a good start converting those surfaces, but yes they seem to be very glossy at the moment. If you want to change that you can go into the surface tab of the selected suefaced and look for the glossy layered weight, you can reduce that and in the following settings you can as well reduce the glossy refelctivity and increase the glossy roguhness. Look as well if you have the top coat weight activated, if yes i suggest to put that to zero for the surfaces you want a tad rougher.

If you wnat to let it rain the glossy roof and entrance way is rather fitting.

now here is a link to a short tutorial I made a while back on how to create atmosphere using some simple planes, and it works the same for rain. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1654176/#Comment_1654176

don't worry about this being made for 3delight, it works the same in iray

What you need is a simple program to paint the rain maps on. I use Gimp for all of that which comes for free, but any other old program should be good for that. (And when you at that you can make a simple rough bump map for your house walls as well (use a noise filter)

Linwelly said:

Well I think as well, that you made a good start converting those surfaces, but yes they seem to be very glossy at the moment. If you want to change that you can go into the surface tab of the selected suefaced and look for the glossy layered weight, you can reduce that and in the following settings you can as well reduce the glossy refelctivity and increase the glossy roguhness. Look as well if you have the top coat weight activated, if yes i suggest to put that to zero for the surfaces you want a tad rougher.

If you wnat to let it rain the glossy roof and entrance way is rather fitting.

now here is a link to a short tutorial I made a while back on how to create atmosphere using some simple planes, and it works the same for rain. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1654176/#Comment_1654176

don't worry about this being made for 3delight, it works the same in iray

What you need is a simple program to paint the rain maps on. I use Gimp for all of that which comes for free, but any other old program should be good for that. (And when you at that you can make a simple rough bump map for your house walls as well (use a noise filter)

That was insightful.Thank you for the tips and tutorial for atmosphere. I will surely try it when i start fixing the house. .

• Kaye KayeKaye Kaye Posts: 210
    edited February 2020

Thanks for the definition of a gobo. I was sort of woolly on it. And I remembered today - and placed a slatted door off camera to filter the light across the troll's body. This is the test image. I'm re-rendering to iron out stuff that needs fixing and post work. Just thought I'd share, as the challenge really helped me :)

Also, I adore Roguey and Strangefate's environments. :D

trolltest copy.jpg
    2000 x 3000 - 5M
    Post edited by Kaye Kaye on
  • Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 630
    edited February 2020
    Kaye Kaye said:

Thanks for the definition of a gobo. I was sort of woolly on it. And I remembered today - and placed a slatted door off camera to filter the light across the troll's body. This is the test image. I'm re-rendering to iron out stuff that needs fixing and post work. Just thought I'd share, as the challenge really helped me :)

That looks really great,  @Kaye Kaye.   It's almost like a still from a Pixar movie!

Post edited by Olo_Ordinaire on
    Kaye Kaye said:

Really nice and you have incredible gallery as well.

• Version B here, starting to populate the scene lighting a monitor screen off screen. (In the first version, I replaced the duplicates of the table and a booth off screen with instances to save on geomatry memory. By paranting the character I added this version to the main table we get someone over at the instance we see as well.)

feb2020b.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • Close call on level 19

I have decided to try this contest only because I am clueless when it comes to lighting. I chose the level 19 environment because I thought it would be dark and give me a lot of opportunities to work with the lighting. The defauld on my images was 3 dlight so that is what I am starting in. The first image was with only the lighting that came with the set which apperantly was none. The second image uses full daylight because it is easy to get everything lit up. Feedback will be appreciated.

• Close call on level 19

I have decided to try this contest only because I am clueless when it comes to lighting. I chose the level 19 environment because I thought it would be dark and give me a lot of opportunities to work with the lighting. The defauld on my images was 3 dlight so that is what I am starting in. The first image was with only the lighting that came with the set which apperantly was none. The second image uses full daylight because it is easy to get everything lit up. Feedback will be appreciated.

Forgot the images

feb contest 1.png
    417 x 234 - 6K
    feb contest 2.png
    417 x 234 - 173K
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    edited February 2020

@Kismet2012 - thank you very much for the tutorial, I am going to try something during the weekend, as I won't have time before that.

For now I tried removing the secondary light source. It feels a bit too dark, but not as much as it originally seemed to me.

I would like to ask another question. How do I make my gallery shows clickable links to products used, please? SKU codes only show as numbers and copied links only show as plain text. What do I need to do?

Edit: I changed the angle a tiny bit, so that there is a bit of the window glass showing above Romina's right forearm, to make her shape stand out a little more, and I corrected a wrong coloutr on her nails, so that it now matches the red on her dress:

Romina Victorian Parlor DoF 1 JPG.jpg
    2160 x 2880 - 1M
    Romina Victorian Parlor DoF 3 JPG.jpg
    2160 x 2880 - 1017K
    Post edited by watchdog79 on

I am using the IBL Master with Daz Studio 4.12.0.86. As you can see from the screenshot I can't see all the parameters for the IBLM Light. I can't set the light shadow.

Why has this happened?

IBLLight1.jpg
    412 x 757 - 44K
  • alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

@Kismet2012 - thank you very much for the tutorial, I am going to try something during the weekend, as I won't have time before that.

For now I tried removing the secondary light source. It feels a bit too dark, but not as much as it originally seemed to me.

I would like to ask another question. How do I make my gallery shows clickable links to products used, please? SKU codes only show as numbers and copied links only show as plain text. What do I need to do?

Edit: I changed the angle a tiny bit, so that there is a bit of the window glass showing above Romina's right forearm, to make her shape stand out a little more, and I corrected a wrong coloutr on her nails, so that it now matches the red on her dress:

I like this a lot more!

It doesn't seem to dark for me and finally the shadows make sense. Also on her head.

You can clearly see where the windows blocks the sun for the top of her head and also the part of the face that is covered in shadow.

What I would do if possible is make the piano also reflect the light (not sure if directly possible or with planes like in the tutorial).

For me it looks like such a reflective surface that it would make sens to also send some light towards the woman.

• Kaye KayeKaye Kaye Posts: 210
    edited February 2020

Thanks, @Olo_Ordinaire and @TrisValentine.

This is the finished piece, with post work. I do like it when there's not that much to do because I got it mostly how I wanted it in Daz. :)

And on to the next render!

(No, no, I should be writing... Oops?)

trollFINAL.jpg
    2000 x 3000 - 3M
    Post edited by Kaye Kaye on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Software used - Daz Studio

Lights i used so far:

Wonderful job on the retexturing of the Dream House.  I am looking forward to seeing the next version of this image.

Kaye Kaye said:

Great job Kaye Kaye.

Version B here, starting to populate the scene lighting a monitor screen off screen. (In the first version, I replaced the duplicates of the table and a booth off screen with instances to save on geomatry memory. By paranting the character I added this version to the main table we get someone over at the instance we see as well.)

I know you are still building this scene.  Looks good so far.

Close call on level 19

Forgot the images

You definitely want something in between those two images.   I have not used 3Delight in quite a while but if I remember correctly you can turn down the intensity on the light.  I am guessing it is at 100% in this image.

You might also consider adding some spotlights near the ceiling pointing straight down.  That would help give the impression of lights near the ceiling and create some shadow pools. 

edited February 2020

I like the camera adjustments and the other little tweaks you made.  Softening the shadows will allow her face and eyes to be more visible.

The way to have product links show in the gallery is to type the name of the product in the box under "What Content/software was used?"  It has to appear exactly the way it does in the store.  Generally when you start typing the name you will get a list of suggestions and can then click on the item.  It will then appear below that box.  As you add items they start to form a list.  When you post the image it creates a link to the item in the DAZ Store.

Gallery Product List.png
    1366 x 676 - 474K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    sueya said:

I am using the IBL Master with Daz Studio 4.12.0.86. As you can see from the screenshot I can't see all the parameters for the IBLM Light. I can't set the light shadow.

Why has this happened?

I do not have this product @sueya.  I will see if one of the other CV's can help.

Close call on level 19

Forgot the images

Nice to see there are still people trying their hand on 3delight! I would like to ask you to post images a bit larger in the future, makes it easier to see how we can help you.

So yes, 3 delight demands to put lights in actively and in addition to that you have to switch on shadows for the lights. I don't know where the "full daylight" comes from, I assume its a light preset? From what I see I'm guessing that at least for some lights the shadows are not turned on, so I advise to check for that in the lights tab. Switch the shadow type to raytraced for each light.

You can regulate the shadow intensity  for each light there and as well the shadow softness. Example: a direct spotlight will have a hard shadow, so next to no softness while on a day with an overhung sky you will have soft shadows all the way. 

As well, if the shadow bias has a standart setting to 1, change that to as close to 0 as you can get.

We can talk as well about light intensity, colour, the difference between specular and diffuse, falloff and the like. But I think when you start experimenting with that you will see a lot yourself. If there are more questions I will try to help.

• eligodesigneligodesign Posts: 69
    edited February 2020

Beginner Challenge: Lighting

Title: Blow a Kiss

Software: Daz Studio 4.12

Hello,

I've started to use iray lights two weeks ago and this entry is rendered with my own camera and light settings. 4 distant lights were used to achieve the suny atmosphere. DOF was turned on which also created that bokeh effect in the background. The model (Elvira) is also my own character desing (G8/V8 morphs) with iray textures and make up.

ED_Elvira_BK_SIG.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 867K
    Post edited by eligodesign on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    edited February 2020
    sueya said:

Why has this happened?

There are 2 parts in this product: the "content" part with files to load the lights, and the actual plugin, which includes whatever is needed to define the properties of the IBML lights. It seems to me like the plugin part is not properly installed.

How did you install the product?  If you used Connect you would only have installed the content part, the plugin file needs to be installed via DIM or manually into the DS program directory.

Post edited by Leana on
  • dennisgray41dennisgray41 Posts: 748
    edited February 2020
    Linwelly said:

Close call on level 19

Forgot the images

Nice to see there are still people trying their hand on 3delight! I would like to ask you to post images a bit larger in the future, makes it easier to see how we can help you.

So yes, 3 delight demands to put lights in actively and in addition to that you have to switch on shadows for the lights. I don't know where the "full daylight" comes from, I assume its a light preset? From what I see I'm guessing that at least for some lights the shadows are not turned on, so I advise to check for that in the lights tab. Switch the shadow type to raytraced for each light.

You can regulate the shadow intensity  for each light there and as well the shadow softness. Example: a direct spotlight will have a hard shadow, so next to no softness while on a day with an overhung sky you will have soft shadows all the way. 

As well, if the shadow bias has a standart setting to 1, change that to as close to 0 as you can get.

We can talk as well about light intensity, colour, the difference between specular and diffuse, falloff and the like. But I think when you start experimenting with that you will see a lot yourself. If there are more questions I will try to help.

I think I see the shadow problem. That blue sky setting is 3 lights from 3 directions so there is light coming from every direction. I will have to drop at least 1 light or go to a different6 setup.

2020-02-06 (2).png
    3840 x 2160 - 6M
    feb contest 1.jpg
    1000 x 618 - 430K
    Post edited by dennisgray41 on
    Linwelly said:

Close call on level 19

Forgot the images

I think I see the shadow problem. That blue sky setting is 3 lights from 3 directions so there is light coming from every direction. I will have to drop at least 1 light or go to a different6 setup.

Light coming from different directions isn't really a big problem, the trick is to treat them differently. For example when I want to simulate an open sky with sunlight coming from one direction I use one of the lights as "sun" that one will have strong sharp shadow, a high intensity and a slight tint into yellow/golden as colour (all of those are distant lights).  But I will use at leat one, mostly two other lights coming from the other sides which will be at low intensity (30 to 50%) and the get a very soft shadow and a bue/greyish tint to the light colour depending on what kind of wheather I want around.

The reason behind is that in the real life light is thrown back from all diffentens surfaces/clouds and skattered in the atmosphere, (even from a whidow away from the sun, light comes into the room). Iray can simulate this to a certain degree, 3delight doesn't really (it can refelct light from a suface defined as reflective... this is for another time) so in order to get the same effect we can add those lights (alternatively use one distant light for sun and a uberEnvironment light to create the environmental light, takes longer to render though)

Inside a room as in your setting you might want to use some spotlightsbesides a distant light from the open side of the set.

What I currently see in your image is that you have light coming more from one direction but not the shadows switched on. can you check that again? if you don't know where to find the setting I'll make a screenshot for you.

Leana said:
    sueya said:

Why has this happened?

There are 2 parts in this product: the "content" part with files to load the lights, and the actual plugin, which includes whatever is needed to define the properties of the IBML lights. It seems to me like the plugin part is not properly installed.

How did you install the product?  If you used Connect you would only have installed the content part, the plugin file needs to be installed via DIM or manually into the DS program directory.

Thanks for the advice.I had previously installed IBL Master manually. I reinstalled it using DIM and I can now see the shadow options. 

edited February 2020

I know there is a ghost light kit (can't afford) but is there any manual way of making light invisible in reflections?
    Today i was free so i was messing around in daz and did this scene but these two light reflections on ground bugs me a little bit. I don't know why.

I still haven't updated shaders (i am lazy) and i might not to do it for a while cause i feel like i don't need to update them for this render. i am unable to get a close up shot on model as i want both house and car in scene. i created rain with atmocam2 and i did install gimp but i will try creating rain with primitives method when i am working on my own projects besides i gotta get some use out of atmocam2. For this challenge i want to keep everything inside daz alone except a denoiser in gimp in the final render. i still haven't figured out how to change rain direction but i am on it.

- picture was a veiwport real time render inside daz with 100 iteration max thats why such a bad quality.

00.PNG
    996 x 563 - 1M
    Post edited by 0996ps on
    edited February 2020

Damn now that i think about it. why is car door open when there is such heavy rain. I am noob.enlightenedcool

Here are some pics of changes i did along the way.

Edit: On second thought i guess she is in hurry and made some blunders like dropping umbrella and leaving door open. i gotta think of a nice title for being clumsy and in hurry. devil

001.jpg
    1279 x 720 - 259K
    002.jpg
    1275 x 720 - 258K
    003.jpg
    1542 x 870 - 435K
    005.jpg
    1541 x 868 - 451K
    004.jpg
    1542 x 870 - 518K
    Post edited by 0996ps on