February, 2020 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Lighting and Light Effects

Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
edited February 2020 in New User Contests and Events

New User's Challenge - February, 2020

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

New this year, we are breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General
  • Or if you have not participated in the February Lighting Challenge

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics
  • Or if you have all ready participated in the February Lighting Challenge

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge you are participating in*

Post edited by Kismet2012 on

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited February 2020

Beginner Challenge:

"Lighting"

This month's focus will be on how you light your image. Lighting is what defines and enhances the viewer's experience when looking at an image. Lighting helps a viewer to "see" the story. The presence of light, or the lack thereof, provides us with the ability to believe the world we are looking at. It can tell us if an object is round, whether it is close or far away, what colors were used and even if the surface is reflective. As an artist, it will be your ability to master the use of light, that will set you apart from the others. Below is a source list of lighting tutorials, articles and videos that will help you understand how to use your software, the different techniques used to light a scene, and the theory behind why lighting is needed. This list is not comprehensive; it is just a starting point.

Also, keep in mind the topics we've covered during previous challenges. Build upon what you have learned to create a compelling image to light this month.

This year of New User challenges is just getting started. So far this year we have covered :

Composition

Inspiration:

Check out the amazing entries and discussion in last year's Lighting Challenge.

Other Helpful Links:

When following tutorials, be cognizant of the different applications (Bryce, Daz Studio, Poser, Carrara Blender, etc.) and different render engines (3Delight, Iray, Reality, etc). Techniques for one may not apply directly to another.

How to Use Your Software:

DAZ Studio

VII - Lights
    Daz 101: Lighting (video)
    Point Lights, the Basics
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25899/ (ideal for those who have purchased Gia 6, but the lighting tips can be used even if you haven't)
    http://www.daz3d.com/great-art-now-step-5-lights

DAZ Studio Lights Tutorial - Presets - 3D Software

3Delight IBL or HDR type lighting environments
    IBL Master  (store link) IBL Master Discussion (forum discussion)
    UberEnvironment2 - Made Easy
    UberEnvironment2 Basics
    Learning UberEnvironment 2 Return to Topic
    Uber Area Lighting: The Basics

Iray
    IBL Master  (store link) IBL Master Discussion (forum discussion)
    Ghost Lights (store link to one of several sets) Ghost Light Discussion (forum discussion)
    Emission Profile Master (store link) Emission Profile Master Discussion (forum discussion)
    Creating and Lighting a Scene with Iray in DAZ Studio by SickleYield  
    Lighting and Tone Mapping in Iray by SickleYield
    Ghost Lights: Interior lighting Tutorial

Poser
    Poser – Lighting 101 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QWWXZ64ZiM
    Poser Lighting 102 (Attenuation) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofj-vOgbwsQ
    Poser Lighting 103 (Shadows) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbHQTXiGrx0
    Poser Lighting 201 (Ambient Occlusion) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GZbHV7MJD4

Carrara
    Chapter 14: Setting Lights

Bryce
    Artist’s guide page 125
    Thoughts on Lighting in Bryce 7.1 by Rashad
    Bryce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C772CuZ6RgI
    Bryce: http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/lighting-and-skies.html#
    Bryce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_mzhnLRx0s
    Bryce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Pe-IVp_dY

Theory:
    Mastering Lighting in Blender the first 25 minutes of the video.

Lighting Basics:
    http://www.amaanakram.com/lightingT/part1.htm
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/the-basics-of-the-art-of-lighting-part-1-simple-principles-of-and-techniques-for-creating-artful-lighting
    http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html
    http://bensimonds.com/2010/06/03/lighting-tips-from-the-masters/

Examples of Lighting:
    Some Examples

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this threadChallenge Rules

Closing Date: February 29, 2020

edited February 2020

Intermediate Challenge:

"Light Effects"

This is a general render challenge with the focus on using varous Light Effects, such as Gels and Gobos. We are providing you with some links on the topics from a variety of sources.

Gobos can be used to make interesting shadows and patterns, such as leaves, window blinds, geometric shapes, etc.  Your imagination is the only limitation.

Gobos and Gels can be used in both 3Delight and Iray.  There are many products in the DAZ Store or, if you are really adventurous, you can try to make your own.

Gobo and Color Gel Lights Definition, Explanations and Examples

Gobo / Gel Light Definition

Color Gel

Gobo Light Portrait Examples

Gel Light Portrait images Examples

Gobo vs Light Gel

Gel Light Tutorials:

DAZ Studio Tutorial – Light Gels and “no poke through”

Gel Lights in DAZ Studio - in German

Daz Studio Iray Tutorial:  How to Make Your Own Gel Light - text tutorial

Below is an example of what we mean by "Light Effects".

Gobo Example.png
    1500 x 1125 - 2M
    edited February 2020

Below is a list of products available in the DAZ Store.  Please feel free to use any of these products you may have purchased.  Purchasing any of these products is not required to participate in the Intermediate Challenge.

Poser

Take to the Floor Poser Gobo Lighting

Shadow Play Poser Lights

3Delight

Shadow Play DAZ Studio Lights

Advanced Serene Scene Interior Lighting

Take to the Floor DS Gobo Lighting

Real Light HDR Gels – Bulbs

UberPoint Light Shader for DAZ Studio

UberSpot Light Shader for DAZ Studio

Iray

IDG Iray Gel Lights

Gobo Lights for DAZ Studio Iray

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 625
    edited February 2020

For the Intermediate Challenge:  use of Gobos.   The trees' shadows are actually produced by two cucoloris panels ( a gobo with a pattern cut-out ) through which the main light, a blue-ish spotlight, shines.

Title:  'Neath the Cyclopean Walls of Mordor

Note:  the second attached image is a revision of the environment.  I significantly revised the fog planes and tweaked the positions of a few static items.

Cyclopean Walls at Mordor - resized.png
    2000 x 1417 - 2M
    Cyclopean Walls at Mordor - 0005 - resized.png
    2000 x 1417 - 3M
    Post edited by Olo_Ordinaire on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

I would love to participate, but I have no idea how to use this "Post Reply - Browse to Attachment feature" mentioned in rule no. 3. Or what is it at all. I do not see anything such anywhere in the post editor.

I am at a loss here. I know how to attach my image to the post, but that's it, since I am apparently not allowed to upload it and link to the upload via the "Image" button. I tried checking the "About CKEditor" website, but there seems to be no section on this feature there, and the DAZ forum search engine is, well, less than efficient. 

Could anyone give me a guide on how to post an image here in compliance to the rules, please? Like a guide for total dummies, please?blush

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 625
    edited February 2020

I would love to participate, but I have no idea how to use this "Post Reply - Browse to Attachment feature" mentioned in rule no. 3. Or what is it at all. I do not see anything such anywhere in the post editor.

I am at a loss here. I know how to attach my image to the post, but that's it, since I am apparently not allowed to upload it and link to the upload via the "Image" button. I tried checking the "About CKEditor" website, but there seems to be no section on this feature there, and the DAZ forum search engine is, well, less than efficient. 

Could anyone give me a guide on how to post an image here in compliance to the rules, please? Like a guide for total dummies, please?blush

First, post your reply, with an attached image.   Click "Post Comment".

Then, go back to your comment with the attached image:   right click the image you have attached and choose "Copy Link" to save the URL to your full-sized image.

Click the little gear button in the top  right of your comment and choose "Edit"

Then, somewhere in your comment,  add an image  -- choose the little rectangle in the control box that looks like mountains and a sun.

Paste the saved URL of your image into the URL field of the box.   Make sure to wait until the forum populates the image size fields, then go to the width field and enter 800.

Click Save or Post comment and you're done!

Post edited by Olo_Ordinaire on
    edited February 2020

First, post your reply, with an attached image.   Click "Post Comment".

Then, go back to your comment with the attached image:   right click the image you have attached and choose "Copy Link" to save the URL to your full-sized image.

Click the little gear button in the top  right of your comment and choose "Edit"

Then, somewhere in your comment,  add an image  -- choose the little rectangle in the control box that looks like mountains and a sun.

Paste the saved URL of your image into the URL field of the box.   Make sure to wait until the forum populates the image size fields, then go to the width field and enter 800.

Click Save or Post comment and you're done!

Thank you very much. smiley

I found this method by coincidence some time ago, but nowhere have I seen the words "Browse to Attachment". It may be language or cultural barrier. It didn't occur to me the solution was that simple.

As soon as my second render of the same scene is done, I am going to post both.

Post edited by watchdog79 on
    edited February 2020

Category:

Beginner Challenge: Lighting

Image title:

Morning Piano Lesson

Software used: Daz Studio 4.12
    No postwork done, apart from BMP -> JPG conversion

I started using DAZ Studio a week before Christmas 2019. This is my first New User Challenge.

The idea was to try some lights and reflections, and then see what using depth of field would do to the scene, because the window and the clocks do not look as good when blurred, because the glass of the clocks reflects the surroundings and the window reflects the piano nicely. I also changed some shaders on the outfit (red gems and red bands). The character is a fresh addition to the family of amazing Mousso's ladies, Romina HD. I am not sure which version would be more suitable for this challenge. I hope to create one more scene for this challenge.

Version 1 without the depth of field:

Version 2 with the depth of field:

Any C&C would be most welcome.smiley

Edited: I changed the description to use the term "depth of field" rather than "focus".

Romina Victorian Parlor 1 JPG.jpg
    2160 x 2880 - 1M
    Romina Victorian Parlor 2 JPG.jpg
    2160 x 2880 - 1M
    Post edited by watchdog79 on
  • @watchdog79 - I'm not clear on what you mean by "applying focus". Could you clarify?

LaPartita said:

@watchdog79 - I'm not clear on what you mean by "applying focus". Could you clarify?

I am sorry, English is not my mother tongue.

I meant using a camera to only focus on a specific part of the scene (in this case the figure), while making the rest of the scene look a bit blurred. I am not sure how exactly is that called.

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    LaPartita said:

@watchdog79 - I'm not clear on what you mean by "applying focus". Could you clarify?

I meant using a camera to only focus on a specific part of the scene (in this case the figure), while making the rest of the scene look a bit blurred. I am not sure how exactly is that called.

You mean Depth of Field.

LaPartita said:

You mean Depth of Field.

Thank you.

For the Intermediate Challenge:  use of Gobos.   The trees' shadows are actually produced by two cucoloris panels ( a gobo with a pattern cut-out ) through which the main light, a blue-ish spotlight, shines.

Title:  'Neath the Cyclopean Walls of Mordor

Note:  the second attached image is a revision of the environment.  I significantly revised the fog planes and tweaked the positions of a few static items.

This is a great start Olo_Ordinare.  I really like the 2nd image with the tweaked fog.  Very atmospheric and the tree branches look great.

Category:

Image title:

Morning Piano Lessons

I started using DAZ Studio a week before Christmas 2019. This is my first New User Challenge.

The idea was to try some lights and reflections, and then see what using depth of field would do to the scene, because the window and the clocks do not look as good when blurred, because the glass of the clocks reflects the surroundings and the window reflects the piano nicely. I also changed some shaders on the outfit (red gems and red bands). The character is a fresh addition to the family of amazing Mousso's ladies, Romina HD. I am not sure which version would be more suitable for this challenge. I hope to create one more scene for this challenge.

Edited: I changed the description to use the term "depth of field" rather than "focus".

Welcome to the New User challenge watchdog79. 

The differences between the 2 images is very subtle but personally, I prefer to one in which you applied DOF.  It brings out some of the highlights on the clock and light.  Both are a very good start.  You have some interesting shadows and highlights on Romina.  Nicely done.

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

Category:

Image title:

Morning Piano Lessons

At first I felt something was weird with the shadows but couldn't place it.

Looking more careful I can say that I don't understand the shadows on the clock and wall light going towards the right while her shadow is going towards the left. Unless there would be a very powerful reflexion somehow from something in that room from that direction but it doesn't look like that's the case.

Thank you both for the reactions and feedback. As for the shadows, there is a secondary light source in the room, because the right side of Romina's face felt too dark.

A render of the scene is in my gallery here, with a list of products used: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/932446

It contains the .duf file for the scene too.

• Here's my lighting start.

No characters yet, I just want to get the basic lights down first. I'm using a HDRI from this.

feb2020a.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • 0996ps0996ps Posts: 182
    edited February 2020

Inspiration:

The link goes to last year's composition challenge instead of the lighting challenge. Lighting challenge link here.

Post edited by 0996ps on
    edited February 2020

Inspiration:

The link goes to last year's composition challenge instead of the lighting challenge. Lighting challenge link here.

hangs head in shame

Thank you @TrisValentine.  I will go fix it.

And to answer your question on watchdog79's list in the gallery you can copy and paste or type the numbers into the search box for the store and the products will appear.  For instance 52497 is Ultimate Grass & Meadow Worldbuilder

Thank you both for the reactions and feedback. As for the shadows, there is a secondary light source in the room, because the right side of Romina's face felt too dark.

A render of the scene is in my gallery here, with a list of products used: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/932446

If this is an Iray render, you could try using a plane to reflect the light back into Romina's face.  Change the surface settings on the plane to Iray then position off camera facing Romina.  Unfortuantely I am not on my rendering computer and I have to head to work but I can show you what I mean later today.

If this is a 3Delight render you can turn the shadows off on that light source.

Here's my lighting start.

No characters yet, I just want to get the basic lights down first. I'm using a HDRI from this.

Nice start @Shinji.  I am looking forward to seeing the characters populating this scene.

hangs head in shame

And to answer your question on watchdog79's list in the gallery you can copy and paste or type the numbers into the search box for the store and the products will appear.  For instance 52497 is Ultimate Grass & Meadow Worldbuilder

Thanks you,
    i have a small question. I am new to daz and i am working on my render for beginner challenge but i was wondering if one can participate in both beginner and intermediate challenge?
    and if its okay to ask further question here in this thread about this challenge if i need any other clarification in future.

If this is an Iray render, you could try using a plane to reflect the light back into Romina's face.  Change the surface settings on the plane to Iray then position off camera facing Romina.  Unfortuantely I am not on my rendering computer and I have to head to work but I can show you what I mean later today.

If this is a 3Delight render you can turn the shadows off on that light source.

It indeed is an Iray render.

I would be grateful for an example, because I am afraid I have no idea what is this "plane" supposed to be, or how to use it.

hangs head in shame

Thanks you,
    i have a small question. I am new to daz and i am working on my render for beginner challenge but i was wondering if one can participate in both beginner and intermediate challenge?
    and if its okay to ask further question here in this thread about this challenge if i need any other clarification in future.

It is always okay to ask questions in this thread.  That is what these challenges are all about.  I am going to find out about your first question.  This is a new set up for us this year and I will get back to you with that as soon as I can.

edited February 2020

This is a really quick tutorial.  I forgot I have a meeting tonight.  If you do not understand anything I will do my best to answer any questions when I get back.

First I set up a quick scene.  It contains a figure, a camera, a background and 1 spotlight.  Light Test 1 is my before image.  I tried to position the spotlight to create a dark shadow on her face.

A plane is a primitive object that is available within DAZ Studio.  On your menu you go to Create > New Primitive > Plane ( look for this in the drop down menu under "Type" ) > Accept

Choose the plane in your Scene then go to the Surfaces Tab to apply a Shader.  Iray Uber Shader is also included in DAZ Studio.  It can be found under Shaders > Iray > Uber > then double click on the icon

The trickest part is orienting the plane.  You have to play with the x and z axis to get it angled correctly.  Ideally it should be off camera but as close to the figure as possible.  I would normally use a portrait dimension but wanted you to see the plane in the image.  The shadow will get slightly lighter or darker depending on the angle of the plane, the strength of the light and how close the plane is to the figure.

I hope this helps and if you are confused by anything please let me know and I will try to fill in the blanks.

Light Test 1.png
    1000 x 800 - 812K
    Create Primitive Plane.png
    1925 x 1043 - 508K
    Create Primitive Plane 2.png
    1925 x 1043 - 443K
    Apply Iraby Uber Shader.png
    1925 x 1043 - 723K
    Light Test 2.png
    1000 x 800 - 882K
  • Sisyphus1977Sisyphus1977 Posts: 305
    edited February 2020

So to build on @Kismet2012 tip, this is something that I do when using primatives to get them oriented to where I need them.  I find it quite useful when I apply an emissive shader and use the plane for additional lighting as it allows a better perspective of where it is in relation to the subject.  I hope this helps.  The techinque is basically parenting a the primative, in this case a plane, to a camera.  The reason for setting the primative back a bit from the "0" origin is so it does not block the view of the camera when you look through the camera.  If you find you cannot see through the camera, most likely you need to move it back (Z translation positve value) a bit more.

Image 1.jpg
    1920 x 1036 - 916K
    Image 2.jpg
    1920 x 1031 - 914K
    Image 3.jpg
    1920 x 1033 - 1012K
    Image 4.jpg
    1920 x 1028 - 999K
    Image 5.jpg
    1920 x 1033 - 912K
    Image 6.jpg
    1920 x 1031 - 967K
    Post edited by Sisyphus1977 on

hangs head in shame

Thanks you,

It is always okay to ask questions in this thread.  That is what these challenges are all about.  I am going to find out about your first question.  This is a new set up for us this year and I will get back to you with that as soon as I can.

The answer is yes.  You can enter both the Beginner Challenge and the Intermediate Challenge.

edited February 2020

The answer is yes.  You can enter both the Beginner Challenge and the Intermediate Challenge.

Thank you. I will be working on both now. I have another question.
    I have a product called dream home. It is old 3delight product but I updated every single texture in the house using Iray shaders from Daz studio market. When applying shaders I noticed that I had to individually change settings to get better result and I did so without following any guide which I now feel like it was a big mistake. I didn't update house texture because I wanted to use it in lighting challenge but something else I was working on but I am using that house in my work in progress of beginners lighting challenge as I feel it is a very nice set.

I have two questions related to this.
    1. Will I be required to share my save file? I do not want to because I worked hard on shading and lighting the house. Not just this but I even extended boundary, added trees, fountains and I plan to add a garden in backyard in future.
    2. I started working on house 1 or 2 weeks ago so does that goes against the spirit of challenge that I am using something I was already working on or is dream home product I shaded consider my own version of product which I can use anywhere and as many times I want. I am willing to start over my beginner challenge if I am in the wrong here. Its hard to make decision then to actually work. I can think many other scenarios for lighting in my head and I do feel like using something as Grand as dream home for beginner challenge is overdoing.
    Edit: Fixed some typos.

Post edited by 0996ps on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Thank you. I will be working on both now. I have another question.
    I have a product called dream home. It is old 3delight product but I used Iray to update every single texture in the house using Iray shades from Daz studio market. When applying shaders I noticed that I had to individually change settings to get better result and I did so without following any guide which I now feel like it was a big mistake. I didn't update house texture because I wanted to use it in lighting challenge but something else I was working on but I am using that house in my work in progress of beginners lighting challenge as I feel it is a very nice set.

I have two questions related to this.
    1. Will I be required to share my save file? I do not want to because I worked hard on shading and lighting the house. Not just this but I even extended boundary, added trees, fountains and I plan to add a garden in backyard in future.
    2. I started working on house 1 or 2 weeks ago so does that goes against the spirit of challenge that I am using something I was already working on or is dream home product I shaded consider my own version of product which I can use anywhere and as many times I want. I am willing to start over my beginner challenge if I am in the wrong here. Its hard to make decision then to actually work. I can think many other scenarios for lighting in my head and I do feel like using something as Grand as dream home for beginner challenge is overdoing.

I'm not sure I understand correctly, the only thing you need to share here in the challenge to participate is a rendered image of your scene. If you are happy to, you can explain the changes you've made. But no scene files will be shared here. And of course you can keep on working on something you've started before.

Linwelly said:

I'm not sure I understand correctly, the only thing you need to share here in the challenge to participate is a rendered image of your scene. If you are happy to, you can explain the changes you've made. But no scene files will be shared here. And of course you can keep on working on something you've started before.

Thats what i meant. Thanks.