Skin Builder - Now Available [Commercial]

Comments

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

3dTox said:
    I've come up with a technique to save a skin for later use. This method doesn't allow for makeup, tanlines, or other add ons (might be best that way due to wanting to change them each time for different renders) Perhaps some of you can help me perfect the technique or suggest a better method. Here's what I've come up with so far:

1. chose just the base skin and nipple settings (you might be able to get by with brow settings too although it's untested)

2. map transfer to whatever folder you prefer. You can map transfer from v5 to v5, this I did test. This seems to make multiple textures because of the different zones but if you stick with the base texture you will only have to chose between the textures based on nipple color or brow or no brow.

3. Replace the different files in each template with the the single texture and save as material preset. Now you have a base skin to add the other options to.

I did notice for some reason once I used this method it somehow started saving the LIE files into the folder I put the textures in instead of the temporary directory when I used the preset. Not sure how this happened, but it went back to saving them in the temporary directory when not using that preset.

You can save what you have created as a Material(s) Preset. What DS does is takes the temporary .tif files and copies them to a location in the /data folder of your DS.

• lulamfadalulamfada Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

I'm running into a problem. I love the idea of this product and I've seen others get some great results, but I seem to have some sort of error. First, all but the palest skin renders blotchy--the light skin in the example below has an oddly red chin and looks freckled. Second, and much more importantly, the eyes all come out like those in the example below: The irises are essentially greyed out no matter which of the patterns I use and no matter what colors I use. I was trying to copy the eyes from the pale promo picture in this one, just to see if it was something odd going on with the normal eyes. Other than selecting the iris pattern and setting both iris and pupil colors to red, I left the default settings. I used the default lighting from the product.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this issue, so I'm feeling a bit frustrated. Any help is appreciated.

SkinBuilderEye_problem.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,019
    edited December 1969

lulamfada said:
    I'm running into a problem. I love the idea of this product and I've seen others get some great results, but I seem to have some sort of error. First, all but the palest skin renders blotchy--the light skin in the example below has an oddly red chin and looks freckled. Second, and much more importantly, the eyes all come out like those in the example below: The irises are essentially greyed out no matter which of the patterns I use and no matter what colors I use. I was trying to copy the eyes from the pale promo picture in this one, just to see if it was something odd going on with the normal eyes. Other than selecting the iris pattern and setting both iris and pupil colors to red, I left the default settings. I used the default lighting from the product.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this issue, so I'm feeling a bit frustrated. Any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure about the "blotchy" skin, but I think I can help with the greying problem.
    Go in to the surfaces for the iris and pupil and look for the Specular settings. Even though they are switched to "Off" both Specular Strength sliders are at 100%. Move them to 0%, and the greying should go away.
    John
    Skin_Builder.jpg
    833 x 1000 - 292K
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, changing the specular to 0% has no effect. The eyes look exactly the same either way. Thanks.

• RitaCelesteRitaCeleste Posts: 625
    edited May 2014

Have you tried deleting it and reinstalling it from a fresh download? It had a few issues at first and sometimes things can get corrupted in the download. Something seems off with that. I use about 25% of the pale texture to smooth out the other ones but that is blotchy I think. They are suppose to look like a more natural skin with lighter and darker areas but they do that with less blotchy weirdness. The skin is suppose show light and shadow but be smoother at it. Go here C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads find the skin builder, delete it. Open the install manager and redownload it and install it.

Post edited by RitaCeleste on
    edited December 1969

Um, would it be okay to make a free character and include materials presets for people who own the Skin Builder and add-ons to use it? Is it even possible to do that without sharing things you couldn't, shouldn't? If it was, it might be more interesting over at ShareCG... Some people are going to be better at it than others.

edited December 1969

Well, the first time I deleted and reinstalled it made no difference, but I did it again out of sheer frustration and now it works just fine. It feels like gremlins at this point... Thanks everyone for the suggestions. :)

edited December 1969

lulamfada said:
    Well, the first time I deleted and reinstalled it made no difference, but I did it again out of sheer frustration and now it works just fine. It feels like gremlins at this point... Thanks everyone for the suggestions. :)

Excellent!
  • DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

Um, would it be okay to make a free character and include materials presets for people who own the Skin Builder and add-ons to use it? Is it even possible to do that without sharing things you couldn't, shouldn't? If it was, it might be more interesting over at ShareCG... Some people are going to be better at it than others.

No. You can not share the created .tif files. The only recommendation I can give you is to make screen shots of your settings and include them.

edited December 1969

Thanks! That would help. I thought it might create files like that. I do love the Skin Builder. The person complained about the long load time but once you save the material presets, they load fast. I've been playing with the Instant Makeup too. I love the lashes. Using a materials preset for the basic skin and redoing it over and over goes pretty pretty fast. I'm learning what the settings do.

• MrPatrickMrPatrick Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

I do like the product and I too am interested in a Male version.

For the 'blotchy skin', I do get the same effects, which seems to depend on the colors chosen. From there I have gone through tweaks with the shader and various lights/gamma and seem to minimize the pinkish/red spots. With the shader, changing to "Skin A" from Custom helped out.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,439
    edited December 1969

I'm one more who would buy a male set on day 1.

As for female add-ons, what I'd like most is a bunch of tan lines that aren't based on sexywear. Sports bra and running shorts, one- and two-piece swimsuits that might be worn by actual swimmers, the possibilities are endless.

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

Don't know if this has been suggested, but some way to preview the skin would be really useful.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,723
    edited December 1969

I need a male version so I would not have to use the female version on Gianni to make my male strigoi.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    edited December 1969

Is anyone having problems with loading saved scenes. Scenes saved which use Skin Builder take a long time to load since I updated DS?

edited December 1969

Is anyone having problems with loading saved scenes. Scenes saved which use Skin Builder take a long time to load since I updated DS?

I think it has something to do with the creation of the texture files. But from the postings in this thread, perhaps when about to finish, would be to save the skin as a material preset, unskin the figure (say to gray), and save. Then after loading in the scene, apply the material skin preset to the figure. That should only be needed once if I understand it correctly.
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    edited June 2014

MrPatrick said:

I think it has something to do with the creation of the texture files. But from the postings in this thread, perhaps when about to finish, would be to save the skin as a material preset, unskin the figure (say to gray), and save. Then after loading in the scene, apply the material skin preset to the figure. That should only be needed once if I understand it correctly.

This has only started since updating DS, scenes using the skin builder are taking up to 15mins to load everytime.
    It really makes an incredibly wonderful product a pita to work with.
    I'm presuming that as no one else is having the problem its something on my end.

Post edited by scorpio on
    edited June 2014

Something more about 'blotchy skin spots'. I gave this a try after seeing Scaldwellhu's rendering in Octane in the competition.
    Ref: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/40945/P90/#615274

I did a rather large render of 2000x by 2666y resolution with high render settings. Unfortunately this render alone took more than 24hrs for my abused traveling laptop to render... if I had hair and all of the lights, I think a few days. :red:

Then when scaling the size down to about the same face size (from 2000x2666 to 300x400) as compared to the render I submitted for the competition (512x682), the blotches are much less noticeable. Easily seen on the nose and that is rather realistic.
    I have attached both for comparison. I would have made the higher resolution one with the same hair, smile and same lighting (used less), but my laptop may have gone kaputski under that load. (Solution, need to stop traveling and have a desktop...)

comparision.png
    900 x 682 - 594K
    Post edited by MrPatrick on
    edited December 1969

This has only started since updating DS, scenes using the skin builder are taking up to 15mins to load everytime.
    It really makes an incredibly wonderful product a pita to work with.
    I'm presuming that as no one else is having the problem its something on my end.

Hummm... well it has always been taking a long time for me as well, but I thought it was due to my laptop's capability. I haven't tried saving with material presets as I keep learning and tweaking the materials.
    edited December 1969

Well I tried to load a preset and I'm still waiting and my computer is making all kinds of noises. Okay it loaded and took all day about it. Once it loads, save it again as a materials preset and it will work faster next time. I'm sorry my best solution is to re-save all those materials presets after they load up. Lucky for me I only have one saved preset.... Resaving them after they load seems to fix the slow loading without doing anything else. At least you don't have to try and recreate them.

• GnotMeGnotMe Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

I consider Zev0 products to be the best, but I'm having major problems with Tanbuilder. I haven't tried any of the other features of the SkinBuilder Pro.

I get off center tan lines, as well as spots on the thigh and sometimes the bottom half of the face. The problem exists with Gen2 as well as Gen1 figures. I will try to post an image when I'm on the computer that has DAZ studio installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edited December 1969

drdancm said:
    I consider Zev0 products to be the best, but I'm having major problems with Tanbuilder. I haven't tried any of the other features of the SkinBuilder Pro.

I get off center tan lines, as well as spots on the thigh and sometimes the bottom half of the face. The problem exists with Gen2 as well as Gen1 figures. I will try to post an image when I'm on the computer that has DAZ studio installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using V5 mapping to begin with? If not, the Builders won't sync with the maps as they are designed to work with Victoria 5 maps.
    Read the first post in this thread for more info.
  • GnotMeGnotMe Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

tjohn,

I read through the posts and my understanding is that you need to have Victoria 5, which I do, so that should work for Genesis female figures. As for Genesis 2, Zev0 said that V5 is there by default for any of the Genesis 2 female figures. Therefore unless my understanding is wrong or incomplete I should not be having problems.

Is there a specific test I could do to figure out if V5 UV map is not available?

Thanks,

Dan

edited December 1969

drdancm said:
    tjohn,

I read through the posts and my understanding is that you need to have Victoria 5, which I do, so that should work for Genesis female figures. As for Genesis 2, Zev0 said that V5 is there by default for any of the Genesis 2 female figures. Therefore unless my understanding is wrong or incomplete I should not be having problems.

Is there a specific test I could do to figure out if V5 UV map is not available?

Thanks,

Dan

Yes, Dan, there is (Genesis 1). Select the figure you have loaded, select the Surfaces pane and select the figure in the pane as shown below. If it says "Victoria 5" under the UV Mapping, you're all set. Starting with the V5 figure will be the easy way to go with Genesis 1 - you can always change the shape later.
    With G2F, the product should work without a problem. I don't have a clue why you're having trouble. Maybe if you can post a clothed image of the problem, perhaps Zev0 could help you.
    John
    v5.JPG
    596 x 857 - 77K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

I should have been to sleep half an hour ago. ugh.

Judging from the first post, there is only 4 base skin tones with this? not 120? Ghost, Caucasian, yellow, and "really dark"?
    It only works with UV5 (V5) for UV5 (V5), no other skin maps work?

So in a nutshell, I cant take this
    http://www.daz3d.com/v4-elitetexture-natasha
    and (completely break Space-time) that UV to G2F?

That Elite texture is for V4, A4, etc. So that is what, UV3 based texture? UV3 to UV6, hmmm.

I'm also guessing one of the 4 included skin-tones is of the above linked ethnicity? or not?

It dose look like a fun toy for making little gray, white, and green aliens, lol. I liked allot of the renders I had seen in this thread.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2014

Judging from the first post, there is only 4 base skin tones with this? not 120? Ghost, Caucasian, yellow, and "really dark"?

That Elite texture is for V4, A4, etc. So that is what, UV3 based texture? UV3 to UV6, hmmm.

I'm also guessing one of the 4 included skin-tones is of the above linked ethnicity? or not?

It dose look like a fun toy for making little gray, white, and green aliens, lol. I liked allot of the renders I had seen in this thread.

No BUT you can use this http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female to get that texture to work on G2F,or any other V4 texture.and umm no V4 =Gen4 not Gen3 ...

Edit Oh and the V4-Genesis2F is on sale for 50% off right now..

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

This product is for applying variations to the base texture that comes with the product, not for applying them to an arbitrary texture you select. It uses the V5 UVset because that comes with G2F and with V5 for G1, so has the highest likelihood of being usable on both G1 and G2F.

• ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

RitaCeleste -- If you're waiting an exceptionally long time for SkinBuilder custom textures to load, there is a tedious but effective workaround.

Wait for the textures to load.

Go to the Surfaces tab.

Click on a certain legacy surface name and see what files are being loaded. They will be TIFs in a DAZ temp directory, and they are probably taking a long time to load because TIFs are huge.

Once you have found out the names of the temp TIFs for your SkinBUilder surfaces, you can go into the temp directory and copy the TIFs of the custom texture to another location outside of the temp directory.

Convert the custom texture TIFs to jpgs with an image editor.

Go back into DS and point all the surfaces to the converted jpgs, rather than the original TIFs.

Save the materials with converted jpgs as a materials preset.

I have been doing this for Instant Makeup, which requires only that I save out and converted "SkinFace" jpgs, so I admit that this may be a no-go for someone who builds textures for the entire body in Skin Builder. However, I just wanted to throw the suggestion out there.

--MW

edited December 1969

If they take a long time to load, resaving the preset speeds things up considerably. Usually they only take a long time the very first time. I'm still gonna beg for a boy version. I'd love a male skin builder set. But I know, everybody likes girls best....

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Got a bit of an interesting problem, here.

I'm continually getting stripey irregularities across my renders with a Skin Builder created custom skin.

At first I thought it was my own lack of understanding how Subsurface scattering works, but I don't think that's it.

Having turned Subsurface off on the visible textures and re-running my render, I still see these stripes.

Anyone got an idea what's going on here and how I might fix it? I don't get these with a non-Skin Builder skin. :(

Screen_Shot_2014-07-03_at_9.05_.15_PM_.png
    539 x 498 - 389K